Didcot Travel Guide

Busy for fun
    by wanghua

Didcot Things to Do

by Elodie_Caroline Written May 8, 2006

Didcot power station was built in the 1960s and was used to burn coal and keep the national electric grid going. The people who live at Didcot seem to hate it, class it as an eyesore and a blot on the landscape, that's a shame, I really like it for some strange reason?

I very first laid eyes on this place when I was watching an episode of Morse a few years ago, I didn't know what it was or where it was situated? I just knew that it would be in Oxfordshire somewhere, as that's where Morse was made. I was soon to find out that it was Didcot power station, and that it's only around 20 miles away from where I live, plus, you only have to drive down from junction 5 on the M40, where I live, and you can actually see it in the distance once you've passed 'Chickenshit Canyon'.

At daytime, you either have to be far away to appreciate it's beauty, see it on a dull Autumn afternoon when all of the steam is coming out of the chimneys, when it's all misty, Dicot looks spooky then, or see it via a sunset.
    Up very close, I do have to admit that it is ugly and foreboding, it even looks evil in some respects.

• Architecture

Didcot Favorites

Fondest memory:
    We had been out for a drive on a Summer's evening and were coming back down the back road from Reading through to Oxford, when I suddenly spotted Didcot power station in the distance!
    This was only the second time that I had seen it, and how beautiful it looked with the bright orange sunset going down behind it.
    I got Chris to srop the car on the side of the road so that I could take some photographs.
    This ugly but beautiful piece of architecture looked just like a painting in the warm glow of this Summer evening's sunset. I loved it, this must have been when I really fell in love with Didcot power station. I often wonder how I would feel if they ever knocked it down? I think I would cry, I would miss my beautiful and ugly blot on the landscape, the A34 would never be the same without it.

• Adventure Travel
    • Photography

Favorite thing:
    ... Well actually, it originally came from the Channel Isles, it happened to be the Fire service's car in Jersey at one time, when it was brand new.

We had got a Rover back in January 2005, off a bloke up the road from us, after the big ends had gone in our Cavalier, so we had bought it out of necessity. The Rover was big, it was beautiful, comfortable, warm, and had all of the fancy bits that you can get with a car. I felt like the queen sat in the front of that car, but it was just so expensive to run! Petrol keeps going up and up and up, Blair lies and says it's the oil companies fault, but we know different, it is his pathetic stealth taxes, robbing us poor to subsidise the rich, as this country has always done.
    So, we decided that the Rover had to go, and that we wanted something more economical to run, not because we are green, we can't afford to think green, we done it for our own pockets I'm sorry to say.

Anyway, on a trip down to Tesco's down here, after visiting his mate who was on hoilday near Didcot, Chris noticed this little car for sale, a Vauxall Corsa, it was diesel run, and it was going really cheap for a diesel car. So Chris being a typical male, he doesn't bother to take the phone number or anything down, but he comes home and tells me about it, so I made him go there again and get the phone number! He came home with the number and then phoned the guy up, yep, the car was still there! So back to Didcot we both went that evening, it's good job that Didcot isn't too far away from us isn't it.

Fondest memory:
    We eventually found the place, it was a couple of miles away from the power Station. The little car was lovely! I loved it as soon as I saw it, and being so small, at least Chris can resume on taking me for driving lessons at some time, that will be fun, poor Chris will be tearing his hair out! hahaha.
    The bloke that owned the car was only a youngish bloke, he let us go off in the car for a little drive round, to see if we liked it. I even offered him to keep hold of my handbag in case we done a runner with it? he laughed and said no, that's ok. So, we drove round for about 10 minutes and decided that yes, we wanted it.
    We stood with the bloke for ages just chatting with him in general after saying that we were going to have it. I said to him that wouldn't his girlfriend/wife, be wondering where he was? to which he replied, that no, she had left some while ago, and that he was on his own there, with just his pet Cat for company, to which I replied "Oh well, at least she left you a pussy" hahahaha. He laughed his head off and my Chris laughed and said that I was sad ... It's took him nearly 15 years to find that one out? So eventually we left the bloke to his pussy and we went off home.

Chris got the old guy, another Chris, who lived up the road from us, to take him over to fetch the car the next evening, I stayed home and watched one of my Jean Reno films.

This car has been a God send, the same amount of diesel can get us twice the miles or more than petrol did in the Rover, and the insurance is half the price too.

Favorite thing:
    Me and my hubby often drive past this power station, either on our way through Didcot, , or up and own the A34, usually late at night. It looks absolutely splendind in the dark, all you can see is lights, it looks like a giant oil rig out at sea, except it's right in land.

I actually call this place Ruth, because there is an old 1970's film that I really like, called 'North Sea Hijack' with Roger Moore in it, and like it says, there is a hijack at sea. I've never actually been partial to Roger Moore, but I really like him in this film.

The hijackers take hold of a Norwegian delivetry ship, one that delivers food etc to the oil rigs in the North sea, and they hold the seamen on there hostage. They have also had bombs installed on the legs of an oil rig, and the oil rig is called Ruth. So when I see Ruth on the film, all lit up in the middle of the North sea, it reminds me of the Didcot Power Station in the dark.

I shall be adding pictures of Didcot Power station in the dark as soon as I possibly can.

• Architecture

Instant Answers: Didcot

Comments

Didcot Travel Guide
Map of Didcot