Know about this? Rate It!
Not so much off the beaten path...more like a timing issue. Party it up at the May Ball the night before, hie on down to Magdealen Bridge at 06:00 on May 1st and fight through a crown of 10,000+ people to listen to the choir sing on top of the tower. Traditionaly, still-drunk students would jump off the bridge and into the 3 foot deep mucky Cherwell River running below, usually still dressed in their tuxedos and gowns. In 1998 they stopped allowing people onto the bridge in order to prohibit jumping...of course their excuse was that so many people put too much stress on the old bridge. Yeah, that's why cars and buses drive over it all day... After the choir sings and everything is said and done, head on over to a pub for a pint! The pubs are open bright and early on May Day and everyone tends to be in high spirits.
...that's (half of) me jumping off Magdalen Bridge. I was detained by the police, threatened with deportation and then released. The river was freeezing cold but I'd do it again in a heartbeat!
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Book online.
- Hotels.com See maps & reviews for over 140,000 Hotels worldwide!
Oxford Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Departamento de Atlántida Hotels
- Sant'Alessio Siculo Hotels
- North Queensferry Hotels
- Hartha Hotels
- Isle of Arran Off The Beaten Path
- Bodrum Off The Beaten Path
- Swamp Tours
- Hemel Hempstead Off The Beaten Path
- Budva Off The Beaten Path
- Porec Off The Beaten Path
- South America Off The Beaten Path
- Warwickshire Off The Beaten Path
- Saudi Arabia Off The Beaten Path
- Sungei Buloh Nature Park
- Sochi Off The Beaten Path
- Samos Off The Beaten Path