Chutneys, Oxford

• iblatt's Profile Photo

Chutneys Indian Brasserie: Indian Tastes of oxford

by iblatt Updated Apr 17, 2011

Clinton was here: Chutneys Indian Brasserie,Oxford

Chutneys is located on a small street, across from the Methodist church, in an unassuming building. The furniture and decor are modest. The menu, however, is rich and varied, with dishes in many different styles of both Southern and Northern India. The choice of vegetarian dishes is very large.

My Northern-style lamb currie was very tasty, and so was Phillipa's spicy vegetarian curry. We drank our Kingfisher beer and greatly enjoyed the food. The service was good and professional.

On our way out we had a look at the photographs over the kitchen window, and to our surprise saw Bill Cllinton with a brimming smile standing together with Chutneys' staff.

• Business Travel

• Ginaravens's Profile Photo

Chutneys: Indian with a difference!

by Ginaravens Written Feb 21, 2003

Chutneys

The main limitation in Chutneys is space - dining is on two floors & to meet demand the tables & chairs have little distance between them. This is, however, an Indian restaurant with a difference.

Let me first admit that the owner is a friend, someone with whom there was quite a flirtation when first they opened, but she never takes a night off so it was not meant to be (I still get free wine when I visit though). Having said that, it is no bribe to my enthusiasm for the food here. I wont judge the service, I might not be able to see it through objective eyes.

Chuyneys is not traditional, for one thing, it is shunned by the Indian community because the owner is female, for another it does not lazily present a menu of standard Indian fair. For the unadventurous there are meals that are standard and secure, but these are vastly outnumbered by innovations on the Indian theme that change & adapt often in order to maintain a lead over all other Indian restaurants in Oxford.

Generous in proportions, from the meals to the extras you would feel hard pressed to find dissatisfaction, and the food will help you forgive the cramped space.

Unlike myself, however, you probably wouldn't be able to get a table for eight people just before Xmas without booking.

Instant Answers: Oxford

Comments

Hotels Near Chutneys
2.5 out of 5 stars