Jamal's, Oxford

by barryg23
  • shutterlust's Profile Photo

Jamal's: Jamal's

by shutterlust Updated Aug 14, 2006

My first real Indian meal. I had some really, really bad (as in spoilt, I'm guessing) Indian food back in NY on MacDougal (it's a buffet, so I shouldn't be too surprised), but my experience at Jamal's was great. The waiter was attentive and helpful when we had no idea what to order and was quick to suggest great compliments to our meal. He was always coming back to refill our water (since the food was quite hot!) and helped explain what was in all the dishes.

I haven't much experience with Indian food, so I can't be a thorough critic of the food, but I thought it was good and I'm pretty picky with what I eat. It was a substantial portion for a pretty good price, good location right off Little Clarendon surrounded by tons of bars, i.e. Freud's next door and Raoul's across the street (go with Raoul's...avoid Freud's if you can, unless you want music). The service was great and overall, great experience.

Favorite Dish: I had the chicken tikki/tandoori and the special rice...that started with an 'm'. And a great little appetizer that consisted of crisps and these interesting sauces; a green lemon/lime sauce, a chili sauce, tamarind sauce, a mango sauce and a strange bright green powder that was supposedly coconut...

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Jamal's: Indian

by barryg23 Written May 26, 2003

Jamal's

We went here in a large group of twenty or more for a friends birthday, and as there was so much alcohol that night, I have hazy memories of the restaurant. They have a great policy whereby you can bring in your own drink - our tables were full of wine, beer, vodka, etc, with a few crates under the table too just in case we ran short. The food was pretty good I think, though with all that alcohol, anything would have tasted fine.

Instant Answers: Oxford