Memoirs, Oxford

• Ginaravens's Profile Photo

Memoirs (formerly Edgars): Strange surroundings

by Ginaravens Updated Mar 13, 2003

Memoirs entrance

memoirs food is nothing special, its not inovative in the slightest. However, when I go to Oxford to shop, as I often do, its there I go to as soon as I get off the bus.

Its comfort food for the English, I get my pot of tea, & either mushrooms on toast or a half-english breakfast & I'm relaxed. They do sell jacket potatoes & baguettes & all manner of sweet & sticky things that I try not to look at, but I'm happy with my tea & savoury food. I even get change of three pounds on either of these orders

The thing about Edgars is its location. Right on Carfax corner in the town centre. Below Carfax tower that gives such a lovely view after a climb up its ancient spiral staircase. So effectively, its not a real building at all, but an old mausoleum.

Yes, you heard right, its a hut (where they cook & take your orders, and a glass building with automatic doors. You can eat in the glass part, or settle on a wrought iron & marble table outside, between glass & ancient wall, with tearful engravings to the ancient dead on the wall and below your feet - but no one seems to think anything of it.

It is a haunt of pigeons too, they strut around the glass, & sometimes manage to get in, whence they wander about the floor pecking at the crumbs that fell there & being very brave in the presence of customers.

Somehow, I find this restful & relaxing & enjoy every moment of it. The tea is good enough to contemplate a second pot, but at this point I usually press on to my shopping route!

Wheelchair friendly