Ludlow Restaurants

• Myfanwe's Profile Photo

Golden Moments: Great Indian Food

by Myfanwe Updated Feb 9, 2014

Golden Moments restaurant, Ludlow

The Golden Moments Indian restaurant is situated on Broad Street just a stones throw from the centre of town. Due to the fact that we visited on a week day on a wet and windy February evening - we had the restaurant to ourselves. We had poppadoms to start which came with a nice selection of dips. For the main course, I chose chicken tikka masala and Gareth opted for a very nice looking lamb bhuna, we shared a pilau rice and a garlic naan bread. The staff were polite and friendly and the food was served promptly. My curry was really delicious, the rice was light and tasty and the garlic naan was very good indeed. I really enjoyed my dining experience here and would definitely return.

Favorite Dish: The garlic naan was lovely.

• Castles and Palaces

• Myfanwe's Profile Photo

The Feathers Restaurant: Fantastic food and service

by Myfanwe Updated Feb 9, 2014

The Feathers

Situated within the Feathers Hotel, the Feathers Restaurant is probably one of the nicest restaurants I have eaten in. We stayed at the hotel on a dinner bed and breakfast basis, two courses were included in our stay but we opted to pay an additional £7.95 for three courses. This ended up being six or seven due to the fact that beween courses the chef sent out some tasters - a delicious tasting beetroot soup and a pre-desert of berry cheesecake. In between the tasters, I had smoked salmon to start, with a beetroot mouse and creamed horseradish., For main course I had Roast bryn derw farm chicken with a potato and bacon terrine and smoked onion puree. For desert I had Crème brulee which was served with some lovely thin shortbread biscuits. The food here was absolutely delicious and of a very high standard. The attention to detail by the wating staff was a nice touch, Gareth had a cheeseboard to end his meal; the waiter explained the different types of local cheeses to him together with some history about them. Coffee was also included in our meal, we opted to take this in the comfy lounge around the roaring fire. To my surprise, our coffee's arrived together with a plate of the most delicious looking chocolates. I had a thoroughly enjoyable meal and would love to visit the feathers again given half the chance.
    A two course meal was £32.00 in February 2014, this is a little pricey but you really do get what you pay for.

Favorite Dish: The Crème Brulee was delicious.

• Beer Tasting

• Watsoncomper's Profile Photo

Bull Ring Tavern: Good British Food

by Watsoncomper Updated Apr 4, 2011

Bull Ring Tavern

The interior was 'Olde Worlde' but nicely laid out. Restaurant is upstairs. The meals are plain but plentiful and the staff pleasant.

Cash only - No credit cards

Favorite Dish: Tradition Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding

• Architecture

• Galahad's Profile Photo

Koo: Ethnic in Ludlow

by Galahad Updated Apr 4, 2011

On 21st July 2005 the Slow Food Ludlow Convivium held a meal in this restaurant . We concluded that it was a good example of an ethnic restaurant that is not anglicising the menu inorder to pander to the English palate.
    The dishes seemed to us to be authentic Japanese sushi, meat and desert dishes in a town that has lots of up-market Michelin type restaurants. Whilst the meal was relatively expensive it was for a four course meal in the evening.

• lomi's Profile Photo

De Grey's Tea Rooms: Award winning cakes

by lomi Updated Feb 6, 2010

I am not usually a fan of busy places serving large numbers of people, but I made an exception just as long as we got there early.

De Grey's is such a Ludlow institution for morning tea and coffee, lunches and afternoon tea served in an historic setting I just had to shout about it. They serve over 200 people at their busiest and still managed to get the Tea Guild's Award of Excellence for the past six years, I had to try it.

They are also famed for their award-winning bread, cakes and patisserie made on the premises. They offer B&B in luxury bedrooms. I wish Id' know about this place before I had made my hotel reservations.

I heard that this place has recently been put up for sale, so I do hope the new owners keep up the marvelous work.

Favorite Dish: I felt so pampered sat there being served by staff in formal lack skirts and starched white aprons.

I ate the best stollen I have ever eaten outside of Germany and my husband gorged himself on a sticky chocolate cake. As a mid morning treat, it was well worth the expense.

• Women's Travel

• THE PARKWAY CAFE: THE BEST COFFEE IN TOWN !!

by MONICAEMMA Written Jan 29, 2006

This cafe is a real hidden Gem, we popped in for lunch last summer after some hard antique shopping. The coffee there is the best i have ever tasted, they offer two blends Lavazza and illy, makes starbucks seem like nescafe in comparison. The menu was quite extensive offering mainly homemade hot meals sandwiches, jacket potatoes and breakfast items. We had the home made soup of the day (leek and potato that day) it was lovely and definately HOMEMADE not chunky soup out of a tin. The cafe runs table service wich extened out to thier patio area wich looked to seat around 40 we decided to sit out, its a little sun trap and with the parasols etc it seemed like we were on the med. Service was very atentive. All in all the best cafe we have been to in a long while and definatly worth the hunt to find it.

Favorite Dish: Well we had coffee and soup and both were very good and should really have been more than we were charged.

• Museum Visits

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo

Hibiscus, Koo, Mr Underhills etc.: Ludlow's "Michelin" starred restaurants

by aaaarrgh Updated Jan 29, 2006

The Hibiscus, Corve Street

Fancy eating "calf's sweetbreads with potato and olive cake followed by cardamom figs with burnt honey and yoghurt pannacotta"?

By early 2005, Ludlow had seven top restaurants recommended by the Michelin Good Food Guide. This is the largest number for any one British town! This is because of one or two entrepreneur chefs, easy access to high quality fresh local food (and the town's Food Festival).

Of the seven 'Michelin' restaurants, five were in Ludlow town ~

Dinham Hall is next door to the Castle. The restaurant is in a grand 18th century mansion. The chef serves "French cuisine".

Hibiscus is a small, oak panelled restaurant half way down Corve Street. Claude Bosi seems to specialise in French cuisine too! Egon Ronay recently described it as the top UK restaurant. Prices began at £42.50 for three courses in Autumn 2004.

17 Corve Street, Ludlow
    Tel: (0)1584 872325

Koo Japanese Restaurant, on the main road through Ludlow towards the River Teme.

127 Old Street , Ludlow
    Tel: (0)1584 878462

Mr Underhills is below Ludlow Castle on the banks of the River Teme. They also offer rooms for the night!

The Merchant House. Unfortunately for Ludlow, the Merchant house closed in February 2005. It had been the first of these restaurants to open in the town. But the proprietors decided to expand and move their business to larger premises elsehwere. What a shame!

On top of that list, the Houseman Restaurant in the historic Feathers Hotel has won an AA rosette.

Favorite Dish: Why not read the review of Hibiscus by the Shropshire Advertiser online newspaper http://www.shropshirestar.co.uk/show_article_25186

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo

Castle Lodge Buttery: Cheap and filling food next to Ludlow Castle

by aaaarrgh Written Feb 27, 2005

castle lodge buttery

Directly opposite the Gatehouse to Ludlow Castle is the Castle Lodge Buttery. It is one of those cafe's ideal for tourists. Views out of the window to the castle walls. Cheap, simple, filling food.

It is also child-friendly. They have a child's high-chair available. They also offer children's sized meals.

There are a range of basic hot meals, baked pototoes, soup, cakes and coffee.

At the opposite end of the town, off Corve Street near the new Library, the Parkway Cafe offers a similar menu, with more choices of meal, but equally good value. This is more of a local shoppers' secret, so maybe will have more room to spare. Address: Parkway, off Corve Street.

Favorite Dish: Definitely go for the 'Jacket Potatoes', which are healthy eating and good value, about £2.50. They also sell 'All-day Breakfasts' for £3.85.

• Kiriel's Profile Photo

Michelan stars

by Kiriel Written Jan 8, 2004

Apparently there are three restaurants in Ludlow that have been awarded a Michelan Star. My guide told me that this could in part be because Ludlow gets the very best beef from Hereford and other ingredients from the fertile country surrounding the village. Sadly I didn't know this before I had eaten dinner, but it makes Ludlow a town well worth further culinary investigation!

Instant Answers: Ludlow

Comments

Ludlow Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Ludlow restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ludlow sightseeing.