Ludlow Warnings and Dangers

• Warnings and Dangers
    Cue unexpected precipice!
    by aaaarrgh
    Could you fit through this?

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Ludlow

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo

Posh people with enormous cars

by aaaarrgh Written Nov 16, 2005

Blimin' hell, I hadn't realised until now how many large "4 x 4" vehicles were in Ludlow! I had to take some photographs for a college project and these enormous 'off-road' so-called-cars were always blocking my view.

In the UK a certain class of people view 4-by-4 cars as a status symbol - they are often owned by people who will never need an off-road vehicle and generally are used to take the kids to school, or go shopping. They are dangerous to other road-users and use more petrol and more parking space than normal cars.

OK, I will admit that Ludlow is not London - there is actual countryside and mud close by. And one or two (well, one) of the 4x4's I saw in Ludlow had mud on them.

But clearly not all Ludlovians are 'green', energy-saving, worldy folk.

• Eco-Tourism
    • Adventure Travel

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo

St Lawrence Church Tower and large people...

by aaaarrgh Written Jan 22, 2005

Could you fit through this?

If you get the chance to climb up St Lawrence's Church tower, please read this.

The spiral stone staircase up the tower is very narrow. There are 200 steps and few places to stop.

I am not very wide, but it was difficult for me to squeeze up the staircase. Also I have size 11 (Euro size 46) feet. Be warned if you have feet larger than the average 12th century Ludlovian (not very big at all) you will have to climb up the stairs sideways, or on tip-toe!!

After 200 steps, I had discovered muscles I never knew I had. And I was very out of breath :-))

But I guess it was worth all this for the view at the top.

NB. I have included this as a caving tip ;-)

• Architecture
    • Mountain Climbing

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo

Don't take the high path!

by aaaarrgh Updated Jan 21, 2005

Cue unexpected precipice!

If you feel like a walk around Ludlow Castle, whatever you do, don't follow the top path around the outside of the castle walls. It ends suddenly in a 45 foot cliff... aaaaaaarrrgghhh!!!!!!

By the way, I have listed this as a mountaineering topic :-)

• Hiking and Walking
    • Mountain Climbing
    • Adventure Travel

Instant Answers: Ludlow

Comments

Ludlow Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Ludlow warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ludlow sightseeing.

Ludlow Members Meetings