Places to eat in Bath

• Restaurants
    by alza

Most Viewed Restaurants in Bath

• alza's Profile Photo

The West Gate Free House: This must be a Gastro Pub!

by alza Updated Jul 4, 2014

I started exploring Bath in the morning, by looking for a good restaurant for lunch. I took pictures of every tempting menu and before long, had a long list of possible choice places to eat after my visit to the Roman Baths. Even during my visit of the Baths, I caught myself thinking of all those places and wondering which one I'd go back to for lunch.

Well, the minute I left the Baths, about 100 meters from them, I saw "The West Gate Free House" and the chalkboard menu outside was too tempting to resist. Plus, this was Sunday and I knew by then that on that day, pubs offer a great "Carvery" menu (home-cooked roasts with fresh and tasty vegetables, Yorkshire pudding, etc.) The West Gate was no exception and that was the clincher for me. Though I must say that it's the salad described on the board that drew me in -- "Stilton pear and candied walnut salad, with rocket and pomegranate."

I first went in to check out the atmosphere, had a local cider, with great service so I got a good table by the window. I was a little sorry to pass on the Carvery but the word "Stilton" kept coming back to mind, I just had to have it.

Favorite Dish: The salad was GREAT! By the way, it also had oak leaf type lettuce and fava beans, and the whole was deliciously seasoned with a delicate vinaigrette, just enough, not drowned. I kept congratulating myself for eating healthy food and feeling so happy!
    An English couple with their teenage son sat beside me and were just as pleased with their Carvery meal, we compared notes. :-) All favourable!

I loved my meal and left with a light step to go to a concert at Grand Parade Gardens (overlooking Pulteney Bridge on the River Avon.) This really felt like being in England! It was lovely!

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

Cafe du Globe Restaurant: Outstanding Moroccan food, reasonable cost

by Bunsch Written Apr 16, 2014

The Café due Globe is one of my friends' favorite restaurants in Bath, and after a long ad delicious meal there, I can see why. The tagines are marvelous! Mostafa and Monika are superb hosts (Mostafa even spent fifteen minutes explaining exactly how to replicate one of the dishes we'd enjoyed, after one of the group decided to purchase the requisite clay pot for making it -- there is a small but very well furnished repository of Moroccan goods in the cellar level of the restaurant). We never felt rushed. The mint tea ceremonial pours were a lovely finale.

Mon-Sat 11:00-23:30
    Sun 11:00-23:00

Favorite Dish: I loved the mezze, which included a spinach and pine nut mix that I'd never had before. But everyone else was raving about the tagines.

Exterior (website photo)
    • Study Abroad

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

Wagamama: For the Noodles!

by spidermiss Updated Jul 5, 2012

I love Wagamama, an international chain Japanese noodles restaurant, and I had a lovely meal there in 2010. I don't remember what I ordered but it was enjoyable.

Please check out the website for their menus.

Wagamama, George Street

Minerva Chocolate Cafe

by spidermiss Updated Jul 5, 2012

I visited this cafe in June 2010. I remember it for its very expensive coffee and chocolates. They also do free chocolate making demonstrations. I didn't reckon much to the place with its overpriced cafe menu.

Minerva Chocolates

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

Pizza Hut: Cheap & Cheerful!

by spidermiss Updated Jul 5, 2012

I've been to this international chain restaurant many times in many places. I consider Pizza Hut good value for money and you can eat well for about 10-15 gbp per person. There is free salad with the main courses and unlimited refills on fizzy drinks. Pizza Hut always has special offers on so do check out the website to find out more.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the classic lasagne with came with garlic bread (8.95 gbp) and had free unlimited salad to accompany the meal. For a drink I had their yummy chocoholic milkshake (2.95 gbp).

I had a lovely filling meal and it came to 14 gbp including tip (June 2012).

Pizza Hut, Bath

The Bath Bun Tea Shoppe

by spidermiss Updated Jun 23, 2012

I visited this quaint tea shoppe in the Abbey Green for a takaway bath bun (90p - June 2012). The cafe is very busy and there were some people waiting for a table when I visited.

As well as Bath Buns, the tea shoppe offers breakfast, lunches, daily specials and Somerset Cream Teas. On a future visit I wouldn't mind indulging in a Somerset Cream Tea.

Favorite Dish: I thoroughly enjoyed the infamous Bath Bun which is a sweet yeast bread roll that has a lump of sugar baked in the bottom with crushed sugar and currants sprinkled at the top after it's baked.

The Bath Bun Tea Shoppe The Bath Bun Tea Shoppe My Bath Bun

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

Society Cafe - With Love From Bath!: Choices of Hot Chocolate!

by spidermiss Updated Jun 22, 2012

I stumbled across this Cafe whilst on my ramblings on the Sunday evening. It was near closing time so I made a mental note to return the following day. I was glad I did as it's probably one of my favourite cafes to date. The ambiance and surroundings are unique and interactive - there was water with glasses provided on the tables and window sills for visitors I also noticed there were books and magazines for reading; a children's play area in the basement; and blackboard in the bathrooms where you can write about your visit! The cafe hosts artists' exhibitions and support various community events in Bath.

The drinks menu was impressive and I was especially happy with the choice of hot chocolates available! There are range of sandwiches, bakery goods and pastries available.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the Indonesian dark hot chocolate (which cost me 2.20 gbp and thoroughly enjoyed)!

Society Cafe, Bath Inside Society Cafe, Bath Inside Society Cafe, Bath Inside Society Cafe, Bath Inside Society Cafe, Bath

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

The Walrus & Carpenter Restaurant: Highly recommended for the Homemade Food!

by spidermiss Updated Jun 19, 2012

I highly recommend visiting The Walrus and Carpenter restaurant for its homemade food. The restaurant name came from a Lewis Carroll poem also the restaurant's purpose is somewhat different to the poet's! I loved the contemporary decor inside the restaurant with its memorabilia and candles in bottles on the tables! The only negative thing I can say about the restaurant is that it's expensive but worth it for a great meal out and atmosphere.

*Please note the restaurant has closed down. It was disappointing to see especially that it has been very popular since it opened in 1974. Here's an article relating to the closure (Please click onto the link)*

Favorite Dish: The Vegetable Chilli - Fresh, homemade and delicious
    The Cheesecake - Ditto

The Walrus and Carpenter (June 2012) Inside the Restaurant A sad sight (June 2012)! One of the restaurant's tiles (June 2012)

• papito1981's Profile Photo

The Raven of Bath: A good pub in Bath!

by papito1981 Written Aug 18, 2011

The Raven of Bath is a traditional UK pub with good quality food and excellent beers! A few steps from the famous Milsom Street you can find it close to the corner between Queen and Quiet St. No loud music, TV or other noises in this quiet pub, where you can really enjoy your pint(s) of Real Ale and pies! There are at least nine different choices of pies, including wonderful vegetarian ones.

Serving times:
    Mon – Friday 12.00 -2.30 and 5.00 - 8.30
    Saturday 12.00 - 8.30
    Sunday 12.30 – 8.30

Favorite Dish: Minty Lamb Pie (Free Range British Lamb, Carrots, Swede, Mint and Rosé Wine) served with mash or chips and a choice of gravy for £8.80 is excellent!

The frontage of The Raven Pub Minty Lamb Pie and Raven Ale Pie Waiting for my Minty Lamb Pie
    • Beer Tasting

• annase's Profile Photo

The Circus Café and Restaurant: Lovely local

by annase Updated Jun 22, 2011

The food in this restaurant was lovely and it is British food, which is actually really good. The menus of this retaurant chnage every month in order to reflect the seasonal availability of various products. The food is also locally sourced which is always a bonus. Situated in a Georgian building between the Circus and The Royal Crescent, this restaurant is really easy to find.

Make a reservation before going as the restaurant is rather small, but very tastefyllu decorated and lovely.

• Museum Visits

• annase's Profile Photo

Bistro La Barrique: French tapas

by annase Updated Jun 22, 2011

Food in this little bistro style restaurant is presented in a French interpretation of the Spanish tapas ('petits plats'). According to the website they offer 'affordable gourmet French dining' which is true. The food was really lovely, service very friendly and the visit was definitely worth every penny. Four people dined for about 80 pounds with drinks.

Make a reservation before you go as the restaurant is faily small.

Favorite Dish: Mussels with pesto

• Spa and Resort

• Balam's Profile Photo

The Saracens head: Baths Oldest!

by Balam Written Apr 26, 2011

The Saracens head is a great pub where One hundred and fifty years ago . It is said to be the Oldest pub in Bath it was built in 1713 on the site of a much earlier Inn. Although it was not a coaching Inn as such it was a stop for The london Flyer and so some of it's pasengers did stay here one of whom was Charles Dickens who stayed at the Saracens while while he was writing The Pickwick Papers . The Pub has certainly been changed much over the years, sadly there are not many period features remaining but it is still a great pub.

We called in on a recent visit to Bath and had a most fantastic Lamb Curry with rice and chips, it was the best curry i have had in a pub and probably one of the tastiestt ever. The service was really friendly and quick and we were made to feel most welcome.

The Saracens Head Lamb Curry Rice and Chips The Saracens Head The Saracens Head
    • Beer Tasting

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Arch Restaurant: Good lunch-time value

by toonsarah Updated Apr 4, 2011

Tucked away in Queen Street. I found this attractive restaurant which offered a light lunch menu – just what I needed. There is also a set menu (£10.95 for 2 courses, £13.50 for 3 at lunchtime and before 7.30 in the evening) if you’re looking for a more substantial meal. I liked the warm colours and fresh flowers, and settled into a corner table

My Eggs Royale (£7.95) consisted of muffins with smoked salmon, poached eggs and hollandaise sauce. The dish was very tasty though I felt it could have been warmer. Service was friendly but quite slow, especially with only four tables occupied. I didn’t bother with dessert but a couple near me were making very appreciative noises about their apple crumble, which was just as well given how long they’d waited for it.

In the Arch Restaurant

• hotelzone's Profile Photo

Jaflong: Fantastic Indian Restaurant

by hotelzone Updated Apr 4, 2011

A little off pitch from the center of Bath, but take a taxi and don't miss this restaurant if your a fan of Indian food. Fantastic personal service from the staff - maybe the best service you'll receive in any Bath restaurant.

Favorite Dish: I've never had a bad selection from Jaflong - and I've eaten there about a dozen times.

• tomruth78's Profile Photo

Java Restaurant: Great Indonesian Restaurant

by tomruth78 Updated Apr 4, 2011

This restaurant is the real thing. The food tastes everything like the food I ate in Asia. The set meals are worth trying, you get all the food on each deal, so no long hard decisions have to be made.

You will have to book in advance as it is usually fully booked.

Bath Hotels

• Apsley House Hotel

One of the finest guest houses in Bath. The ideal place to take someone special for a treat... Not...

• Queensberry Hotel

Great location and 'good vibrations'. Built in 1771 as a townhouse for the Marquis of Queensberry,...

• The Halcyon

We stayed at The Halcyon for 3 days and had the most memorable and wonderful stay. The hotel is a...

Latest Bath Hotel Reviews

County Hotel
Parade Park Town House Bed & Breakfast
Holiday Inn Express Bath

Instant Answers: Bath

Comments

Bath Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Bath locals.
Map of Bath