Sally Lunn's, Bath

by spidermiss
    One of the dining rooms
    by rexvaughan
  • Tilley's in the foreground, SLunn's with red sign
    Tilley's in the foreground, SLunn's with...
    by rexvaughan
  • spidermiss's Profile Photo

Sally Lunn's: Home of the original Sally Lunn Bun

by spidermiss Updated Apr 17, 2011

Sally Lunn's

I had afternoon tea at Sally Lunn's, home of the original bath bun, twice on my visits to Bath. The afternoon tea consist of a Bath Bun with jam and clotted cream and with either tea or coffee.

On my first visit to Bath (June 2006), I ordered the 'Sally Lunn Cream Tea' which includes half a toasted Sally Lunn Bun is served with strawberry jam and clotted cream. I thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon and enjoyed the ambiance of having it in Bath's oldest House.

I returned to Sally Lunn's in June 2010 and decided to order the 'The Jane Austen Cream Tea' which was similar to the 'Sally Lunn' one but I had raspberry jam instead of strawberry. I felt a bit disappointed with this but I think I had very high expectations for that visit following my previous one. However, I still recommend going to Sally Lunn's for afternoon tea and it's also opened for lunch and dinner as well. It's worth having a look in the museum in the basement and you can learn more about Sally Lunn and how the Bath Bun came about during the Georgian times.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed the 'Sally Lunn Cream Tea' when I went for the first time. It costs around 6-7 GBP (April 2011) and is available all day.

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Sally Lunn's: Doesn't live up to its reputation

by rexvaughan Written Jul 22, 2009

For my money about all Sally Lunn has going for it is reputation. The cafe itself is okay, with small dining rooms but the service is questionable. We had no reservations and were told it would be 20 or 30 minutes before we could be seated. We said we would wait but were advised to go see something and come back. We said no we would wait and in about 5 minutes we were seated, but the service then was quite slow. If you do go, I recommend reservations but don't know that will improve the service.

Favorite Dish: We went for their early dinner which is a set menu for 10 GBP. We had vegetable soup, a Sally Lunn Bun and several choices for the entree. I had the 4 oz. sirloin and my wife pork loin in wild mushroom and marsala sauce. Included also was a glass of the house wine. The meat dishes and vegetables were okay but nothing special and the soup was quite bland. The bun was about like the cheap hamburger buns get at the supermarket at home. For a far superior meal, although at more cost, I suggest going next door to Tilley’s Bistro.

• Sally Lunn's: Don't Miss!!!

by JRH57 Written Nov 29, 2007

We had a few days in Bath and discovered this great little restaurant. The weather was appalling but we were immediately made welcome as we walked through the door. We had a lovely meal, the staff looked after us well and the surroundings intriguing. If we get back to Bath this place will be on our list for a revisit. Thank you to you all.

• arnoldelaine's Profile Photo

Sally Lunn's: A Must Visit !

by arnoldelaine Written Nov 6, 2007

I loved our visit to Sally Lunn's for a famous BUN ! Its part of the full Bath experience - we had the House Blend Tea with a bun with Lemon Curd - delicious !

We had great serve from the Italian man with the flashing pen ! The tea was amazing and ot was a lovely finale to our fabulous three days in Bath !

Yes it is a tourist experience but part of the history of such a fabulous city - I wish they would sell the House Blend Tea by post !

Favorite Dish: Sally Lunn bun toasted with butter and Lemon Curd

• jo104's Profile Photo

Sally Lunn's: Sally Lunn Bunn anyone?

by jo104 Updated Jun 21, 2007

Sally Lunn was a young French refugee that came & settled in Bath 300 years ago. The restaurant is in Bath's oldest house & incorporates the Sally Lunn museum where you can see the origional kitchen she used to bake her famous bun in.

We decided to come here for dinner and enjoy the special trencher menu. A trencher is a type of bread which was used as a substitute for plates which were only invented in the 1500's. The Sally Lunn bun is a type of trencher bread & it soaks up the flavour from the meal itself.

Now I must admit when I passed on starters I was imagining the meal would be served on a huge bun equating to a plate. I was wrong the meal is served on top of a hunk of the Sally Lunn Bunn. The starters looked unappertizing but were in fact deemed to be very tasty. I ordered the beef Bourguinon trencher which was very boozy!! Then the desserts were a good size, I had the lemon tart. Our table enjoyed a bottle of pink Cava to start followed by the house white.

The ambience is one of dining in someone's dining room it is quirky. The tea room serves different kinds of food which is the Sally Lunn Bun with sweet or savoury fillings. I would suggest you book in advance of a visit for lunch, tea or dinner.

• Sally Lunn's: Sally Lunn's doesn't welcome Asian guests

by rachellau Written May 16, 2007

I just came back from Bath on 14 May...
    unfortunately, it seems that the female 'landlady' of Sally Lunn's doesn't welcome Asian guests...

There is no further explaination for the reason here, because staff there should know what and how it happened on this date, and how the arrogant manager humiliated and cheated three Asian guests there!

So I'd like to suggest Asian friends---- don't go there, otherwise their unfriendly attitude would ruin your 'travel enjoyment'!

• UKDaisy's Profile Photo

Sally Lunn's: Taste her famous buns!

by UKDaisy Updated Nov 3, 2006

The building itself is a tourist attraction as it's the oldest house in Bath, and it houses a museum. But the main reason people come to this restaurant is to sample the famous Sally Lunn's bun. The bun can be served as a sweet or savoury dish, and you can come just for afternoon tea or a full meal. It's a very busy place, but table turnover is fast, so there shouldn't be a long wait.

• lou31's Profile Photo

Sally Lunn's: Best Buns in Britain

by lou31 Written Jun 12, 2005

Sally Lunn's oldest building in Bath

I had heard about these famous buns and tearoom so had to see it for myself. The building is suppose to be the oldest in Bath. Dating back to the 1480's.
    Sally Lunn herself was a young French woman who worked for a baker selling bread on the street. She eventually ended up in the kitchen where she baked a bun that became famous in Georgian times.

Favorite Dish: The buns themselves are huge. About the size of grapefruit. Very soft and tasty. Downstairs you'll find a little shop where you can buy a bun to take away. The one bun comes in a gift box and costs 1.50 pound I think. They also have teas and coffees on sale.
    There is a tearoom which is popular. I didn't get to eat there but the food looked delicious. The house is a museum in itself and you can walk around the rooms. There is the original kitchen used by Sally Lunn complete with faggot oven.

• Rachael71's Profile Photo

Sally Lunn's: Perfect for afternoon tea

by Rachael71 Written Apr 7, 2005

Sally Lunn's museum

Sally Lunn came to Bath more than 300 years ago, and the famous buns are still baked to her recipe on the same site today. Sally Lunn's is reputed to be the oldest house in Bath, and you can visit a museum which contains artefacts from its long history after you have enjoyed a bun and a cup of tea. Over the years it has become a 'must-see' attraction on the tourist trail.

Most people, ourselves included, come here for a bun, which is like a kind of brioche. They do an early-evening set menu too, which at £10 for two courses with wine, seemed to be good value for a restaurant in the centre of Bath. It has a relaxed atmosphere for such a busy place, it must be the classical music that plays while you sip your tea.

Favorite Dish: I had a bun topped with cinnamon butter, and my boyfriend had one with clotted cream and jam. As he got a whole jar of jam and one of clotted cream to himself, we should really have ordered another plain bun to share it, it seemed a terrible waste! He got free refills of coffee, but tht could have been because they were about to close and had a full pot of coffee to get rid of - I'm not sure it is part of the usual service!

• pedersdottir's Profile Photo

SALLY LUNN'S: Thimble-sized delight

by pedersdottir Updated Dec 14, 2004

The crooked little house

Sally Lunn and her famous buns. Are they from a long-forgotten nursery rhyme? Nearly every visitor to Bath has heard of them. One taste gives you a good idea of why they have become immortal in the lexicon of baked goods since 1680. The buns are simply delicious.

Baked from a soft, slightly sweet brioche dough, these little breads serve as a foundation for both main dishes and desserts.

Favorite Dish: The trencher dinner is a Sally Lunn's classic: a thick slice of bun topped by a meat or fish entree and accompanied by seasonal veggies. SImple - and oh, so good.

Housed in a building that dates from 1482, the 2 dining rooms on the ground floor are so lilliputian they give an entirely new meaning to the phrase 'cosy seating'. But if you make reservations in advance you might be let up the itsy-bitsy staircase to the tilting room on the upper level - and a bit more elbow space. Before leaving, pop into the cellar bakeshop to buy a few buns and see the remains of the original brick ovens.

• Sharon's Profile Photo

Sally Lunn's refreshment house: Some Tea... ??

by Sharon Written Jan 6, 2003

There are some tea rooms in Bath and the most famouse one is the Sally Lunn's.
    Its the oldest house in Bath (c1482) and there are 3 rooms for serving the special food they have that based in the Sally Lunn's Bun.

Sally Lunn was a 17th century baker whom created a famouse buttery tea bun.

Favorite Dish: I had a cream tea bun which included a tea and a bunn with cream and jum. what can i say..?? it was the best cream and jum that ever had !
    The service was a bit slow but it was worth it. Dont miss this experience, the house inside looks so old and nice, the classic music that is played and the way the waitresses dress like in the 17th century is just lovely.

• feline01's Profile Photo

Sally Lunn's HouseBath,...

by feline01 Written Aug 26, 2002

Sally Lunn's House

Bath, England
    Really old building serving allegedly traditional Bath Bun. Very cutsey but not too expensive and it's a mighty big bun.

Favorite Dish: Enormous Sally Lunn bun with cinnamon + sugar with a big cuppa.

• Kodi01's Profile Photo

Sally's Buns restaraunt and cafe

by Kodi01 Updated Apr 25, 2003

This restaraunt is most famous for its' buns.

Favorite Dish: I had a chocolate buttered bun and tea.

It was fantastic in this oldest building in Bath.

• Eco-Tourism

Instant Answers: Bath

Comments

Hotels Near Sally Lunn's
4.0 out of 5 stars