Glastonbury Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Glastonbury

Brewers Fayre: All you can eat buffet

by alancollins Written Aug 18, 2013

Brewers Fayre

I have been to Brewers Fayre close to my home town a number of times. During a recent stay in Glastonbury I decided to try out the local Brewers Fayre because they have a different buffet for each day of the week. My first visit was on a Thursday which is curry night. They had a choice of 6 different curries, rice, naan bread and a limit number of extras. The price for the all you can eat buffet was £6.49. I had a starter and 3 plate fulls of the main. For these prices you can not expect the quality of taste you would obtain in an Indian Restaurant but it was not bad and I did have 4 plate fulls. I enjoyed the buffet so much that I when back the following night. This time I had not booked a table but the hostess had a look around the restaurant and quickly found us a table. Friday as you would expect was fish night buffet. This time I could only manage 2 plate fulls before I was stuffed. Again the quality was not as good as a fish & chip shop but I enjoyed it. The place was busy on both nights with a queue to order food. They also provide a full menu of other food if the buffet does not take your fancy as well as a buffet breakfast. If you are staying at the Premier Inn next door you have not got to wander to far but as the car park was busy it must attract non residents.

George and Pilgrims' Hotel: Olde Worlde Pub & Hotel

by alancollins Written Sep 9, 2012

The front of the hotel

We were walking past the George and Pilgrims' Hotel and it looked busy, and as we were hungry, we decided to try a meal. The public house is the oldest in the south west with a history going back to the early 15th century and the building was originally used to accommodate visitors to the abbey. Still used as a hotel, it is an unusual building with a flagstone walkway going through the centre of the building. We ordered King Henry pork and apple pies from the bar, took our spoon to indicate our order and sat down by a window watching the world go by. They arrived after about 20 minutes and were very tasty, consisting of pieces of pork, vegetables covered with apple and topped with a flaky pasty top. It we had spent more time in the area we would probably returned for another meal. The only downside to the visit was the magnificent front of the building has some seats outside which are used by smokers, resulting in the pathway and gutter looking like a giant ashtray.

Knight's Fish & Chips Restaurant: Tasty fish & chips

by alancollins Updated Sep 9, 2012

Building & entrance

Whilst checking the internet for places to eat in Glastonbury I came upon Knight's Fish & Chips Restaurant. Having spent a busy day touring the area and being partial to fish & chips we decided to try a meal at Knight's. The restaurant has been owned and run by the Knight family since 1909 and is reputed to be the oldest fish and chips restaurant in the UK. The restaurant has picked up various industry awards over recent years. The inside of the restaurant is a quirky shape with the toilets being reached via a stone spiral staircase. We tried the traditional cod, chips, mushy peas, rolls and a large pot of tea. The fish & chips were well drained and were not greasy, the peas tasted just right. We were not disappointed with the meal and cleared the plates and emptied the tea pot. It cost us only £20 for the two of us including a tip.

Favorite Dish: Cod, chips and mushy peas

• LouiseTopp's Profile Photo

Blue Note Cafe: Lovely surroundings

by LouiseTopp Updated Apr 4, 2011
    Blue Note Cafe

The Blue Note café in Glastonbury is very good with a vegetarian menu & Fair Trade foods on hand. There’s a lovely courtyard out the back with wooden table & chairs. Tea is £1, while cakes are £1.50, Budda’s sit round the edge & there are some lovely smells from the shops nearby.

Favorite Dish: The cakes are nice they do coffee. chocolate & carrot for £1.50.

• Women's Travel

• themajor's Profile Photo

Hundred Monkeys: Delicious - but low on monkeys!

by themajor Written Sep 27, 2010

Monkey puzzle - Where are they?

As a foodie of some years standing...well, some years sitting down with a knife and fork to be honest - I have been in many 'worthy' restaurants. In days gone by it meant eateries that were ethically pure but usually culinary death. An array of dishes where a strong pair of gnashers for industrial chewing was the order of the day. Over the years all this has changed and fresh tasty food is the order of the day.

Hundred Monkeys promises much in the way of monkeys and although in fails to deliver in the primate stakes - 'er, no they don't serve primate steaks! - they do serve rather lovely food. It does have the feel of a New Age eatery and indeed it caters for vegans, vegetarians and coeliacs - my wife, a coeliac herself was delighted - but meat eaters and fish filleters are not forgotten. A rather good bistro style menu is on offer together with a rather delightful array of desserts and some truly splendid cakes. Decent milk shakes too if you feel particularly childish. I did.

Favorite Dish: Strange to say that although I am not especially fond of the humble carrot - unless stroked naked and raw into a cheesy creamy dip of loveliness or drowned in meaty gravy - I am inordinately fond of carrot cake and I'm told they do a jolly good one! In fact the person who told me was the strange woman sitting opposite. My dear wife. I think I downed an orange and lemon cake and my wife's gluten free concoction was equally delicious. I'm not sure which of the 100 monkeys made it but they're well obviously evolving fast ...

• themajor's Profile Photo

Abbey Tea Rooms: Getting the Abbey habit (British jest)

by themajor Updated Sep 9, 2007

Tea and people watching - splendid!

Anyone in search of a tradition English tea room would do well to pop into the Abbey Tea Rooms. Frankly it has everything one might desire, from the sturdily traditional Ploughman's lunch to superb locally sourced ham and a splendid selection of cakes and buns. Best of all, it appears to be the local refuge for born and bred Glastonburyites seeking solace from the clouds of incense and array of alternative types tiptoeing down the High Street. That being said, it can't have escaped their notice that the New Age alternative brigade are now very much the mainstream and as a result the 'ordinary' folk have been cleverly outmanouevred into being the new alternatives. All very confusing but so much easier when you are downing cupfuls of English breakfast tea.

Favorite Dish: It's either the ham or the cakes. Bugger it, I'll have both!

• Study Abroad

• RandomDreamer's Profile Photo

Bring Your Own...

by RandomDreamer Written Nov 19, 2005

Food at the Festival is rediculously overpriced as the vendors know that most people havn't been bothered to bring their own and that the nearest shop offsite is several miles away. Basically everyone charges double what you'd pay normally for food and drinks and the cartels that run the vending stalls are relentless in being uniformly expensive (I found one place selling Mars Bars for a pound).

However, there are still some good eating options. The Ostritch burger stall and vegertarian crepes are most reccomended.

Basically though, bring your own food and cook it on a camping stove. I spent over £100 in four days on food alone... it's no joke!

• Study Abroad
    • Camping

Abbey Tea Rooms

by Krumlovgirl Written Nov 15, 2005

I figured that while I was in Somerset I ought to have Somerset tea. I decided on the Abbey Tea Room because it was right across the street from the Glastonbury Abbey and looked inviting. The interior is small and a little cramped, but it’s cozy. Apart from tea and all that goes with it they also serve light meals and soups. And lots of desserts. I had an English tea which consisted of two scones, clotted cream, jam, and a pot of tea. (I went with Earl Grey.) The scones were fresh out of the oven and really big. I couldn’t finish the second one. The cream and jam were good and the tea was delicious. The wait staff couldn’t have been friendlier or more helpful. I was amazed at how inexpensive it was as well. Overall, an experience I would repeat.

Cafe Galatea

by Krumlovgirl Written Nov 15, 2005

When I ate at this café it was late in the evening and packed. They had a harpist playing but I don’t know if it is usually that crowded or not. Since I didn’t have a reservation I had to sit at a table with other single, non-reservation people. The servers seemed to forget about me and if I hadn’t kept flagging them down I don’t think they ever would have come back. They are a vegetarian café and have a fairly extensive menu featuring organic products. They didn’t sell coke so I got something called Curiosity Cola. The woman told me it tasted like coke but better. Well, I don’t know about that but it was pretty good. I kept the bottle as a souvenir. For dinner I just ordered some soup. It was okay, but nothing spectacular. They have Internet facilities, but it’s high. 2.50 pounds for ½ hour. (That’s about $5.) They also have some cool things for sale such as Russian dolls and sculptures. I recommend that if you want to eat there hit them around lunch. It was just too crazy in the evening.

The Bay Tree

by Krumlovgirl Written Nov 15, 2005

This little restaurant is located on the side street that runs next to St. Patrick’s. When I went they were still serving breakfast, although I decided to go with a panini. The wait staff were mostly people with Down’s Syndrome and they were very courteous and attentive. The restaurant itself was spotlessly clean and homey. There were some families there so it is suitable for children. The food was a little cheaper than what I found in some other places that I ate at. There did seem to be a few vegetarian offerings, although I’m not sure about vegan. I have to admit that I’m not wholly schooled on the vegan thing. My food was good and I’m sorry that I didn’t have room for dessert. There were quite a few tempting homemade cakes set out that looked really good.

• englishchris's Profile Photo

Saffron: the best Indian in the area

by englishchris Written Sep 23, 2004

Although not quite in Glastonbury itself, if you fancy a curry, this is the place to make for.
    All quality food, in modern surroundings, this is the best Indian restaraunt for miles around - unless you are a smoker, then you need to go to the other one in Street, which also has good food.

Favorite Dish: Its all good.

• hayward68's Profile Photo

George and Pilgrim's Hotel: A Pilgrim's Rest

by hayward68 Updated Jul 6, 2004

George and Pilgrim's Hotel

This hotel was built in the 15th century and pilgrims from all over stayed here. Fairly wealthy, though less important, pilgrims were the ones that could afford a night's rest at this lodging.
    The Pilgrim's Bar inside is very cool, with huge beams and mullioned windows. Large wooden tables are a bit cramped together and you might have to squeeze yourself past someone's chair, but the ambiance is worth it.

There are 13 ensuite rooms upstairs, including 4 poster bed rooms. Not too badly priced at £30.00 to £95.00 per person per night (I've paid more elsewhere for less historic surroundings).

Favorite Dish: I'll admit, I came for the beer ;-) A bag of crisps went along with it quite nicely ;-)

• Steve-H's Profile Photo

Variety, you`ve got it!

by Steve-H Updated Jul 25, 2003

Go for the burn.

There are many places to stay and eat in Glastonbury covering the whole spectrum of requirements from four star hotels to vegetarian cafes full of gossip and free range children. One of the most unusual is the Well Spring Cafe at the foot of the Tor where you can fortify yourself for the climb by drinking water straight from the spring, many travellers fill bottles here to take the famous water with them. The cafe is partially underground and has the feel of a cave with running water and eerie acoustics, there is also a small shop but remember to try the water, it has a high calcium content. And so we set off up the road to begin our climb.
    My best meal was a take away from the local Tandoori Restaurant, the Elaichi on Glastonbury High Street, it`s open 7 days a week too.

Favorite Dish: Go for the burn! get the hottest dish you can (see my homepage to find out why chilli peppers are so good for you )

• Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Glastonbury

Comments

Glastonbury Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Glastonbury restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Glastonbury sightseeing.