Porlock Restaurants

• johngayton's Profile Photo

The (Bottom) Ship: Great Pub - Naff Fishcakes

by johngayton Written Dec 26, 2011
    Naff Fishcakes

This is both visually and atmospherically a cracking pub. On a warm early summer lunchtime even though most of the customers were visitors it still had a great local feel to it. Staff were friendly, service swift and the location with its outside terrace overlooking the harbour was perfect for an al fresco lunch after walking the footpath from Porlock village.

Favorite Dish: As soon as I noticed the fishcakes on the "Specials" blackboard I didn't bother even perusing the written menu. If I remember correctly these were described as "Tuna and Mozarella" and when they arrived they certainly looked good with their accompanying baby potatoes and colourful dressed salad.

However they were rubbish - obviously bought in and tasting more like slightly fishy sawdust bound with underseasoned mashed potato. At £9.50 they didn't even have the advantage of being cheap. Even though I was disappointed in the food the beer was spot-on and everything else was ideal and so on balance it was merely "satisfactory". I'll definitely have lunch there again but maybe I'll discreetly check before ordering that what I'm going to eat is homemade.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Beer Tasting

• The Whortleberry Tea Rooms: Only go if you like to be ignored !

by ECLKWRIG Written Aug 16, 2011

Awful ! Visited in August 2011; the two ladies on duty saw us arrive (one nearlky walked into me as I mounted some internal steps). My wife, 10-year old son and I sat down and waited for a full 20 minutes without even being acknowledged. One of the ladies waiting on came out of the kitchen to address a family sitting opposite us and enquire if everything was to their liking but deigned to completely ignore our presence. After 20 minutes we upped and left, never to grace this establishment again. An awful and rude experience. This, all too common British malaise, whereby the customer only serves to be an inconvenience, is symptomatic of one of many reasons why our family will return to holidaying in Spain next year !

Favorite Dish: Owing to the non-existent service, the best I can say is not applicable.

Instant Answers: Porlock

Comments

Porlock Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Porlock restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Porlock sightseeing.