Places to eat in Somerset

Most Viewed Restaurants in Somerset

• piglet44's Profile Photo

Taj Mahal , Minehead: Yummy yummy curry

by piglet44 Written Jul 29, 2007

Lovely curry , large choice on the menu and excellent service.
    it was a joy to hurry in out of the rain, and enjoy the food in this place.
    For all curry lovers everywhere.

Favorite Dish: Chicken tikka.Just perfect. But there is something for everyone.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

The Bell Inn: A Coastal Stop-over

by Bwana_Brown Updated Jan 19, 2006

After finishing our quick look at the Cheddar Gorge, southwest of Bristol, we had about 1.5 hours of driving to get through a mostly industrialized area surrounding Weston-super-Mare and Bridgewater. By 1 PM we had diverted off the main A39 highway along the north coast of Somerset and pulled into the tiny seaside village of Watchet in search of a pub lunch. After finding the town parking lot (40 pence or US 70 cents for an hour) we popped into a pub that had a view out over the Bristol Channel. However, that particular room was closed, the place was smokey and there were almost no other customers so we kept on moving! Practically across the street, we noticed the much more appealing Bell Inn. This 16th century pub has a bit of history, as it seems that the famous 'Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner' was begun here by Samuel Taylor Coleridge in the winter of 1797 while he was staying here with William Wordsworth. This looked like an old-style English pub, with it's gas-fired fireplace providing a nice atmosphere. It also has old-style hours of operation, only being open between 12-2 PM and 7-9 PM!

Favorite Dish: We knew that we had more ground to cover in order to make our planned time of arrival in Cornwall the next day, so we kept our meal simple and easy. Sue had a Quiche with Salad while I opted for a Ploughman's Lunch of Cheddar cheese, bun, pickled onions, tomato, green peppers, red onion, cucumber, lettuce coleslaw, mayonaise and Indian chutney. To wash the meal down we enjoyed a glass of Australian Chardonnay and a pint of Yorkshire's Stones Bitter beer. The total cost of the meal was just under 14 GBP (US$24)

Beside the Gas Fireplace!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

The Bull Inn: A Pub Lunch on the Way Through

by Bwana_Brown Updated Jan 12, 2006

During our February, 2004 trip to Cornwall, my wife was staying on there for another 10 days while I had to head back to London to fly out by myself due to work commitments. Consequently, my task for that Saturday was to get myself back to the London area so I would be able to catch my next morning flight out of Heathrow. After stopping for a biscuit and a cup of tea with VT-member 'Sir' Geoff Wright at Altarnun, near the Cornish border with Devon, I settled down for the drive north-east! It was handy having a couple of CDs to play as I meandered along in no particular rush. By about 1 PM, I could feel the urge for something to eat, so I picked the small town of Ilchester, not far from Yeovil and about half-way between Exeter and Salisbury, as a place to try my luck. It did not take me long to stumble across The Bull Inn, whose premises seemed to be very thinly populated.

Favorite Dish: Nevertheless, I spotted an interesting daily special of spicy Mexican Chicken on jacket potaotes, served with a salad (4 GBP or US$7). A pint of Carling draft beer and I was all set! As I was speaking to the server, I noticed that she had a southern Africa accent and mentioned this to her. Yes, she said, she had been brought up in Durban, South Africa but had long since been resident in England. A small world, I told her, since my wife had studied nursing in Durban nigh onto 40 years ago! Altogether it was a pleasant little stop, but their parking lot was a bit of a challenge to exit (and I don't scare easily!). The road curves around the left side of the pub and traffic seems to suddenly emerge from out of sight while moving at a fairly healthy clip. This is no place for dawdling, just look to make sure nothing is coming and step on it to get out while the going is good! I seriously considered stopping to look at the nearby Naval Air Museum but, in the end, decided it would take too much time and continued my uneventful trip to the London area.

The Bull Inn

• caminoreal's Profile Photo

Pub food. It's the way to go.

by caminoreal Written Feb 17, 2004

This isn't just a Somerset tip. It applies throughout England, including London. I found restaurants to be terribly expensive, by my home (U.S.) standards, throughout the U.K. and western Europe. But, in England, dining in pubs offered an economical alternative.
    Not every pub had food, and not every pub that did have food had GOOD food, but most of the pubs where I dined served a pretty darned good meal for less than five pounds, sometimes less than five dollars (U.S.).
    The food is usually some kind of casserole -- like lazagna, shepherd's pie, etc. -- maybe with a side of fries or a veggie. It was almost always simple, but filling and tasty.
    A good-sized serving of whatever was offered, plus a pint of bitter or stout, was usually far cheaper than a mediocre restaurant meal near by.
    It's a great way to stretch your food dollar while roaming the U.K.

• saraheg77's Profile Photo

The Carpenters Arms: Great English Restaurant

by saraheg77 Updated Apr 4, 2011

I really liked the atmosphere and how friendly the people were! It was a great experience!

Favorite Dish: I had the steak and guinness pie and it was wonderful! The desserts were great, too!

The Carpenters Arms

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Starbucks: Cosy branch

by Jenniflower Written Aug 26, 2007

This tip will be written soon. I am uploading photos in the meanwhile. Should you have any questions for me re Somerset, please email me! Thanks :)

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Bishop's Palace Restaurant: Fantastic food find in Wells :)

by Jenniflower Written Aug 26, 2007

• Castles and Palaces

Somerset Hotels

• Apsley House Hotel

One of the finest guest houses in Bath. The ideal place to take someone special for a treat... Not...

• Meare Manor

60 St. Marys Rd, Meare, Glastonbury, Somerset, BA6 9SR, United Kingdom

Satisfaction: Very Good

Good for: Couples

• Best Western Swan Hotel

There's one thing that makes you feel right at home in a foreign hotel. Someone speaking your very...

Top Somerset Hotels

11 Reviews - 37 Photos
Bruton Hotels
2 Reviews - 2 Photos

Instant Answers: Somerset

Comments

Somerset Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Somerset restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Somerset sightseeing.
Map of Somerset