Sheffield Restaurants

Silversmiths exterior
    by suvanki

Most Recent Restaurants in Sheffield

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Harland Cafe: A Hidden gem!

by suvanki Updated Apr 10, 2015

I first became aware of this cafe while reading about the recently ( at the time) deceased Sheffield photographer, Martin Jenkinson Guardian Obituarywho captured the 'Northern Spirit' and was especially noted for some of the Black and White iconic images of the 'Battle of Orgreave' and other 'historical' moments during the miners strike of 1984.

Well, I was curious to see these photos, particularly as Mr B had been there as a striking miner, and reading about the cafe - This sounded like my kind of place!

Formerly known as Cafe Euro, the Harland Cafes owners are husband and wife Steve and Sarah, who state, the Harland is "A brand new café arose from the steel city, bucking the trend of american franchise coffee shops and bringing a warm, homely, tasteful atmosphere to the café experience".

It's to be found between London Road/Bramall Lane - near to Go Outdoors (CCC) and The Edge Climbing centre, in the heart of the former 'Little Sheffield' cutlery and tool making quarter of the city. Many of these 'Little Mesters' works can be seen around here still. I sneaked a look through a gateway at one of these.(pic 5)

On street parking, but this is quite a busy area with deliveries to nearby businesses.

Well, I popped in on my way to work one morning recently, and I was more than happy with this place - Entering, the premises, there was a lovely, welcoming atmosphere.

Stripped wood flooring, wooden tables and chairs, with a squidgy settee.
    Outside, there is seating in the court yard - I'll have to check this out sometime.

This would be a great place to relax with a newspaper, or a book. There is a crammed book case to chose from along with board games. A notice board has flyers and cards for local events and businesses.

A mix of clientele during my first short visit - a trio of 'mature' gentlemen from the nearby climbing centre (The Edge), a man who looked like he intended staying there for a good few hours, and 'babysitting grandparents', amongst others.

What to eat? Well I was spoilt for choice! A delicious choice of Sandwiches, which I managed to narrow down to Lemon Pepper Chicken. The bread comes from the local Walkley Bakery - as much as possible, local suppliers are used.

Sheffield has a great range of food producers and suppliers, and I do prefer to frequent establishments that promote local businesses.

I placed my order, and was invited to take a seat, while my sarnie was prepared.
    Again, nice customer service - You're made to feel like 'a guest' not an inconvenience.

I took the chance to peruse the many photos of Martin Jenkinson, including his 'Battle of Orgreave' shots, along with portraits of political figures - Mo Mowlam, Tony Blair and Dennis Healey, and entertainers such as Linda Smith and John Cooper Clarke.

As soon as I could, I returned here, again on my way to work, where I picked up a couple of slices of Orange Poppyseed cake - A great selection of Home Made cakes, cookies, etc. and just after I'd chosen, the owner mentioned that there plenty of other cakes not on display!!!!!

The Harland has many regular 'events' - see the website for details.

Note to self - get up early and try one of their breakfasts on the way to work one day soon!
    or try the homemade soup and a sandwich for lunch, or their 'My Cow Molly' affogato or............

Yes, can see me making this a regular stop off!
    Oh and this cafe is licensed to serve alcohol - I spotted a few bottles of locally brewed Real Ales.

Opening times:
    Monday to Friday - 8am - 5pm
    Saturday - 9am - 5pm
    Sunday - 10am - 4pm

Facebook Page

Update - called in here for a late afternoon lunch with Phil after a walk in Derbyshire - I'd wanted to share this Special Place with him for a long time
    I chose the soup and Sandwich option - Soup of the day Leek and Potato which was very tasty along with a yummy lemon pepper chicken sandwich.(£5.50) Phil chose the same sandwich with a side order of chips which he proclaimed were "proper chips"!
    We both chose a bottle of ginger beer to wash it down with. We were too full to eat a pudding but chose a slice each of the rhubarb and ginger cake to take away, which we enjoyed later at home with a cup of tea! Yes the hard to impress man was well and truly impressed!

Sorry that Phil didn't get to see the Martin Jenkinson exhibition, but we enjoyed the 27 exhibition instead.
    Looking forward to my/ our next visit here!
    Yes.... I'm truly smitten with this place!

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed my Lemon pepper Chicken sandwich on granary bread - it probably cost a bit more than other sarnies that can be purchased in town, but these were quality ingredients - the bread and chicken had wonderful flavours, which weren't out powered by the lemon pepper flavouring.

I've since popped in a few times to pick up the 'to die for Chocolate Brownies' which my work mates have raved over, and also the Workers Lunch, where I picked up my favourite lemon pepper chicken sandwich, a ( huge) banana and a bottle of orange juice - all for £3!!
    Phil and I have also been back recently and enjoyed a pot of tea and chocolate brownies, when the Martin Jenkinson exhibition was back, with new photographs, which we both enjoyed looking at.

Harland Cafe exterior Harland Cafe - Martin Jenkinson exhibition Harland Cafe Harland Cafe Stag works - next door to cafe

Vitos: Family run Italian Restaurant

by suvanki Updated Mar 25, 2015

Vitos was on my list of places to eat at in Sheffield - word of mouth and media articles were my reason.
    So, last week I booked a table here for myself and Mr B.
    I'd checked out the menu from their website, and was spoilt for choice!
    Vitos is situated in the suburb of Walkley, easily reached from the city centre by bus - the 95 route or the 52, which we caught. A short walk brought us to this, nearly missed building.
    We entered this former house and was given a warm welcome. We were shown where to hang our coats and after a small hiccup, where we found that our reservation had been booked in for the previous night, we were shown to a table for two in the centre of the restaurant. This restaurant is divided into two rooms. We were presented with the menu by the owner Vito, who as well as being a restaurant owner is an actor - he stars in Peaky Blinders - a series that I have yet to catch up with.
    As well as an extensive menu, there is a Specials Board - Fish and game as well as vegetarian dishes feature.
    The wine menu is also quite extensive.

To be continued...

%Lhttp://www.vitos.org.uk/booking.php][Opening Hours and Booking Details

Favorite Dish: My starter was the pumpkin filled ravioli - this can also be ordered as a Main meal.
    Mr B chose the wild mushroom dish which was served on polenta.
    I really enjoyed my starter - Mr B wasn't so enamoured with the polenta, but he enjoyed the mushrooms.
    My main was lamb with prunes - lovely tender lamb, though I did leave a few prunes.
    Mr B went for the steak with peppercorn sauce and loved it - we did a swapsy - a small portion of each other's dishes to try - he liked the lamb, and I enjoyed the steak.
    These dishes were served with an accompaniment of vegetables - potatoes, carrots and peppers, which were delicious.
    The dessert menu was very tempting, but both of us were stuffed!

We opted for a 'liquid dessert' - me a Lake Garda grappa, him a brandy, which came in an appropiately warmed glass.
    We were then presented with a complimentary limoncello - a nice touch!

Vitos

Rutland Arms: Delicious unpretentious Pub Grub

by suvanki Updated Mar 7, 2015

The Rutland Arms is a long established pub in Sheffield, a few years ago it gained a bad reputation, but it's now turned itself around and is one of my favourite pubs in Sheffield.
    Surprisingly, I'd never set foot in this place until recently, although I've often driven or walked by and admired the street art on the exterior walls and in the beer garden, by phlegm, a well known street artist in these here parts.
    Well, we enjoyed a drink here one night, and I fell in love with the place - lovely atmosphere, traditional pub, good selection of drinks, including plenty of Real Ale, a pleasant beer garden and a great Juke Box!
    We'd planned to see a film at the nearby Showroom, and after previous experiences of a long wait to get a table there for food prior to seeing a film , or no food on for one reason or another, when we'd decamped to the nearby Street Food Chef, for excellent Mexican Burrito's, I checked out the menu at t'Rutland and it was a no brainer!
    The menu has a variety of options including burgers, which Phil opted for, I had opted for a pie and went to the bar to order, but the Specials Board caught my eye - was a bit spoilt for choice, but decided to go with the beef on the bone - Well this was one of my favourite meals EVER!! A man at a nearby table saw that I'd had the same dish and came over to say how good his had been too!
    Their home made ice cream is certainly worth leaving some space for, or popping in just for this treat!
    My favourite is the chocolate orange!! I liked it so much that I asked for the recipe ( having recently purchased an ice cream maker) Apparently the chef had been experimenting with a recipe for strawberry daiquiri ice cream 😊 The menu changes regularly, with a Specials Board listing a variety of meat/ fish/ vegetarian dishes. Food is as far as possible locally sourced.

The Rutland, or Ruttie is a great place for people watching, with a diversity of ages and 'types'. Being located near to Sheffield Hallam University, it attracts students and staff from there, and as it is located in 'The Cultural Quarter' there are arty types/ musicians, Real Ale fans and those who just enjoy good food and drink in a traditional setting.

At our last visit ( where we enjoyed the Rutty Burgers - too much for me to finish though), there was a young chap sat at the bar with a whippet, who was later joined by a chap in a flat cap - it did look a bit like a 'Yorkshire Themed Bar' for a very short while!

The Juke Box has a HUGE selection of different genres of music - I'm afraid that I usually have to select a few tunes whenever I visit 🎶

My DELICIOUS Beef! Menu Phils Burger The Rutland Interior The Rutland Interior

Cubana: Food n Dance!

by suvanki Updated Mar 7, 2015

UPDATE - 2014, Cubana moved to larger premises in the nearby Leopold Square.
    A Latin hotspot in Sheffield!
    Cuban bar/ Tapas bar
    Great atmosphere, great food!

Themed menus on Mondays Mexican, Brazillian, Spanish or Argentinian with dance class, buffet and live music.
    Tues has live music from latin countries
    Fri & Sat nights latin music from dj's
    Salsa classes GBP5 Sat pm
    Sunday lunches Spanish American and latin faves
    Also available for private hire.

Favorite Dish: Spent one of my birthdays here, enjoying the tapas menu..great variety! Party menu was about GBP13.50

Can just pop in for a drink or two too!

Cubana Cuban and Tapas Bar
    • Study Abroad

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Efes bar and grill - Turkish/ Mediterranean: Friendly Turkish/ Mediterranean restaurant

by suvanki Written Feb 18, 2015

Efes is established on the lively Glossop Road, just off the city centre - a popular thoroughfare for students and others.
    We booked this establishment for a group of friends celebrating my belated birthday.
    Booking by 'phone was easy - friendly and efficiently dealt with.
    For a meet up before the meal, Efes is opposite the Wetherspoons Swim Inn - the former Glossop Road Swimming Baths.
    Our group headed straight for Efes - and we were offered drinks while we waited for the rest of the party to arrive. The drinks menu offers drinks by the glass ( of varying sizes), or bottles, from around the world and including Turkish wines.
    We chose a Turkish white to enjoy with our meal, which was quite pleasant, with a slight fizz.

More info and photos to follow...

Favorite Dish: For my starter I chose borek ( Turkish for cigar) rolled filo pastry containing feta cheese and parsley- quite tasty, but found the 'pastry' lacking in crispness, which I've experienced in Turkey, when I've had these.
    My main course was a mixed meat skewer - Blimey - a HUGE - plateful! Chicken cubes, Chicken wings, lamb and much more as well as rice and salad - I had to admit defeat and ask for a 'doggy bag' to take home - which I enjoyed cold next day - lovely grilled meat taste!

• suvanki's Profile Photo

PJ Taste: Selectively sourced, locally loyal!

by suvanki Updated Feb 9, 2015

This Sandwich Shop/TakeAway hit Glossop Road early May06

Anyone familiar with this area, will be aware that there are LOTS of Sandwich shops on West Street/Glossop Road. However, this one is a cut above the rest!

Peter and John endeavour to provide a friendly service, with QUALITY products, at reasonable prices, and as far as possible, the food is locally sourced.

As well as being an above average sandwich shop, the coffee (to drink in or take away) is of the best quality, and there is also the opportunity to buy high class delli goods!

Locally produced pickles/chutneys, oils, vinegars, crisps, snacks to buy, Fairtrade products , wines and beers, hampers etc.

The menu changes weekly, with an ever expanding choice, the staff are happy to create your own sandwich specifications. They will also cater for office parties, weddings etc.

This is a shopping/eating experience where you are treated with genuine 'old fashioned customer service' - where they like to know about their customers likes/dislikes, suggestions. Peter and John have a genuine interest in the products they are selling/ creating for their customers.

A newsletter, launched just before Christmas, invited their customers to chose the name for the newsletter, and there was a draw to win the chance to eat /drink free for a week!

Since opening, their business has expanded . They are now serving a hot dish of the day

Their latest addition is a 1960's Juke box, which they're hoping to feature Sheffield bands and artistes.

Check out their website for more info.
    UPDATE - due to the success of the catering side of PJ Taste, this shop is due to close soon, and I understand that it will be taken over by a healthy food business- will try to find out more!
    PJ TASTE have recently taken over the former Take Two building at the start of Staniforth Road in Attercliffe, near to Masterchef.
    Wishing PJ Taste All The Best in their new venture!

Favorite Dish: Citrus Hits- Real lemonade with mint or lavender, 85p

Freshly Squeezed orange juice,

Chocolate Cookies Mmmmmmmm! These are to die for!!!!!

Whirlow Farm Bacon,Cos Lettuce and Sweet Cherry Tomato on Rusky Roll

Aberdeen Angus Rare Roast Beef with Beetroot and Horseradish dressing and Rocket

Crayfish in lime and coriander dressing on Rosemary Foccacio

Fresh Fruit Salad with natural yogurt and granola topping

John and Peter of PJ Taste Citrus Hit!- a unique taste experience. Shelf display and yummy crisps!! PJ Taste - freebie coffee promo!
    • Study Abroad

Pedlers: Night Market- Street Food

by suvanki Written Oct 11, 2014

I was wandering around Arundel Street, calling into All Good Stuff to pick up some presents, calling into LP Record Store for a nosy - ended up purchasing something, then wandered down to the other end of the street to take photos of street art. When I noticed that there was something going off in the car park - food stalls were being set up. There was a bouncer/ security guy at the entrance who explained that the food stalls would be there Friday and Saturday until late.
    I returned Saturday afternoon, although I'd already eaten, so this time so didn't try the food, though I was very tempted!
    Apparently this event is hoped to be carried out on a monthly basis - I'm all for this- next time I'll turn up with an empty tummy and a full purse !!

To be continued with more photos and info...

Pedlers night market

Antibos: Classy Italian!

by suvanki Updated May 26, 2014

I Think this is still one of my favourite place to eat out in Sheffield at the moment, I must have eaten here about 6 times, most recently we had a 'pre-wedding party' for a work colleague, and our 'Girls Christmas Night Out', here.

In the new West One Precinct.

High ceilings, cream walls make this feel very spacious.Tasteful decorations, Comfortable bar/reception area. Pleasant dining area. Big padded menus. Staff are excellent - polite, efficient and professional.

Although slightly more expensive than some of the other Italian restaurants, I still feel that it's excellent value for money.
    For the quality of food, service and surroundings I would have expected to pay more.

just found out there's this bargain-

17.30 -1900 early menu 2 courses £6.95 plus half price cocktails!!

Child friendly, disabled access, car parking opposite restaurant

UPDATE - Well this used to be one of my favourite restaurants in Sheffield, but at my 2 most recent visits -the last being 12 months ago, I was very disappointed - the service was quite poor, and the food wasn't of the usual high quality that I'd enjoyed previously.

Antibos was busy, probably due to their 'budget menus' , but it appeared that quantity had overtaken quality. We'd booked our table for 10 of us, and had arrived in plenty of time, but still had to wait over 30 minutes for a table, then our service was very 'hit and miss' wrong orders, vegetables missing, having to re-request a jug of tap water 3 times - Hmmmm well we've not been back since - and have found a better alternative for our celebratory nights out.

UPDATE May 2014 We ended up returning to Antibo's for our monthly 'Girls Night Out' ( mainly because the restaurants that we did want to go to were booked up) I wasn't really looking forward to this, However, the food was delicious, and service had improved again, so may well be back here quite soon!
    This visit we took advantage of their £20 off of the bill, for four or more diners - I downloaded the voucher from their web site.

Favorite Dish: Garlic mushrooms, with filo baskets for starter..Mmmmmmmm!!!!!!

Seafood pasta for main course, Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!

Too full for dessert!

coffee and choc covered coffee beans to finish.
    Oh, and house white, 2 glasses of, which again was excellent!
    Bombay Sapphire G& T - Perfect!

Artwork in Antibos

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Fagan's: Well run traditional pub, with delicious food!

by suvanki Updated May 7, 2014

Fagan's is a Sheffield institution, a few minutes walk from the city centre, this is a traditional pub, perhaps a bit old fashioned and maybe a bit shabby, but I Love it! And so do many others. ( including some well known Sheffielders and world renowned names) Richard Hawley is to be found here often, and he is known to conduct interviews with the press here - fans send mail addressed to him here.

Struggling for a place to book our Works Christmas night out in 2013, one of our staff suggested Fagan's
    for it's Home Cooked food at very reasonable prices - a 'phone call and we were in! Tom and Barbara couldn't have been more helpful in helping us arrange our night.

To be continued- more info and photos to follow !

Favorite Dish: My favourite dish at my first visit was the streak pie - huge portion, with a lovely pie crust and succulent beef... To be continued..

Yummy Pie, chips, peas,  Hendo's, Oh and Guinness!
    • Beer Tasting

Bar 23 - West One: British Cuisine

by suvanki Updated May 7, 2014

UPDATE - this restaurant closed and was replaced by Fitzwilliam and West - didn't 't get the chance to eat here before IT closed! Will move this to 'Gone But Not Forgotten' travelogues, once I get to my PC .
    UPDATE- I ate here again earlier this year, again for Patsys Birthday - I'm afraid that I didn't enjoy my meal as much this time -it was OK enough, but not to the same standard as our previous visit.
    There was a large private party on at the same time, complete with DJ - the music levels making it difficult to chat and relax.

Celebrating Patsy's Birthday, she chose this restaurant on Tinas Hubby's recommendation!

After a drink in the nearby Revolution bar, we adjourned to this restaurant a few feet away, in the West One Plaza.

Passing the bar, we went upstairs, to the third floor, where we were shown to our table for 5. The staff were all friendly, smart and polite.
    Decor was low lighting, creams and browns, comfy leather settes in lounge area etc.
    Bar on ground floor, lounge seating and toilets 2nd, Restaurant 3rd floor.

We eventually chose our meal - We were all dithering - so many tasty dishes!

We all went with the 2 course menu for £16 - available Mon - Sat 18.30 - 21.30, (3 courses is £18), which worked out cheaper than if we'd booked the dishes separately.

So for starters, Heather and I had goats cheese, deep fried in almonds, roasted beetroot and rocket salad (£5.50), Which was gorgeous!! Patsy and Bev had Pan fried scallops, saffron risotto and piperade (£7.00, plus £3.50 supplement if taken as part of set menu), Tina had wild mushroom risotto(£5)- we all had a try of this and it was Yummy - creamy and full of flavour!

For mains - I had Lamb shank , which came with roast potatoes and parsnips(£15), Tina- had chicken wrapped in ham, with a dish of vegetables, Bev and Patsy had Pork, belly pork and crackling, Heather had Soy and Ginger Tuna loin with wasabi sauteed potatoes (£14.50)

(The prices listed are if not using the 2 / 3 course offer)

We missed out on desert, but had coffees, which came with chocolates.

We paid £20 each, which included wine/ beer/ water and a tip.

We were all unanimous, this had been a great night out, great food , great atmosphere, and we will be back soon!

• Women's Travel

• iaint's Profile Photo

Pizza Express: mixed

by iaint Written Feb 3, 2014

This wasn't my first choice of place to eat dinner, but the one I wanted was closing (6pm on a Sunday - strange). Pizza Express was across the street, and I didn't have a lot of time to look for somewhere else.

I haven't been in one of the chain for many years - I avoid that kind of place.

Well, I've been right all these years. A tiny pizza for £8.70, and it was nothing special. I can easily get a bigger, better one for €5.50 in Bavaria. About half the price.

I ordered dessert too - apple crumble. I found a bit of cork (from a wine bottle) in it. It was also a tiny portion, and expensive at £5.20.

So, to sum up - a complete rip off.

On the positive side, the service was excellent. The waiter was very apologetic about the dessert, and it wasn't on the bill.

Favorite Dish: There isn't one.

• iaint's Profile Photo

Brown's: stay away

by iaint Written Feb 3, 2014

Having just got off the train after arriving in the city on a Sunday lunchtime, I came across this place and it looked like a good bet for a light lunch.

Ordered a Virgin Mary (Bloody Mary minus the vodka) and a Caesar Salad with 2 poached eggs (instead of chicken).

Alarm bells rang when the drink arrived - looked great (and tasted good) apart from the celery stick, which was discoloured at the bottom. Very sloppy - too hard to cut it off before serving, or too lazy to look before using it?

My jaw dropped when the salad arrived. It was too small to qualify as even a side salad. Maximum 3 lettuce leaves. Tasted good, but for £10.50 it was a disgrace.

I overheard a waiter giving the customers at the next table a long list of the things on the menu which weren't available.

Take my advice and give the place a miss.

Favorite Dish: There isn't one.

ground & 1st floors Virgin Mary & manky celery

Hells Kitchen: Diner/Take Away

by suvanki Updated Jun 14, 2013

I drive past this place most days, and was intrigued by the red building and the 'Devil in the Basket' also by the signs boasting "Better than the usual rubbish sandwich shops"!
    It took me a while to try this place - either in a hurry to get to work/had my lunch with me or - no parking space! Parking on the road outside, but there are double yellow lines a short distance from the entrance.

Well it was worth the wait!

For Take- Aways, there is an extensive list of sandwiches (hot and cold), wraps, salads, oven baked potatoes etc, served from a window to the right of the door.(See their website for menu) I finally made my choice, and waited while my sandwich was created. The kitchen is open plan, so you can see the food preparation area etc. The staff here are very efficient. One person was carving a succulent looking joint of pork, complete with crackling - I'll certainly try a hot roast sandwich soon!

All of the fillings, soups etc are freshly made here.

Seating inside and out, though I've not stepped foot inside yet. I have returned for another sandwich, which was just as good as my first one.

Open Monday-Saturday 07.00 - 15.00.

Favorite Dish: Chinese Chicken salad on breadcake and Banana Milk Shake with Ice Cream!!!!

Large bread cake crammed with a tasty filling , with generous chunks of chicken - Mmmmmmm!

The banana shake was made with ice cream, and had a lovely flavour.

Hells Kitchen Hells Kitchen Menu Hells Kitchen Hells Kitchen Hells Kitchen
    • Architecture

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Rossi's: Delicious Italian food in a romantic setting

by SWFC_Fan Updated Mar 3, 2013

My girlfriend and I walked past Rossi's Italian Restaurant countless times in the days when my girlfriend lived in a nearby apartment, but never actually ate there.

This fairly upmarket restaurant is long established (operating for over 30 years) and is housed in a grand former bank building on a corner of Sharrow Lane just off bustling London Road.

Unusual for the area (and for Sheffield as a whole), Rossi's employs a door man in a smart uniform who welcomes diners and keeps a watchful eye on their cars. This gave us the impression that it might be a bit too upmarket (and expensive) for our tastes.

This impression was reinforced when we used to peer through the window and see a dining room with ornate ceiling frescoes, marble columns and a replica of Michelangelo's Statue of David.

In the autumn of 2012, Rossi's ran an offer via the Living Social website, where diners could purchase vouchers for £12 entitling them to:

Pizza or Pasta dish each for two people;
    Olive appetiser;
    Salad for two people.

We purchased one of these vouchers and finally redeemed it on a Sunday evening in March 2013.

Prior to our visit, we had a quick look through the online MENU, but hadn't decided what to order when we arrived at the restaurant.

We got to the restaurant shortly before our 6:30pm booking and found that the doorman wasn't working that evening. We made our way inside and found it surprisingly busy – considering that it was a Sunday evening in tough economic times. There was a large birthday party on one table and a number of couples who were perhaps, like us, redeeming their Living Social vouchers.

A friendly waiter showed us to a table, right next to the Statue of David, and gave us menus and a wine list. The interior lighting was dim, the tables were candlelit and the overall ambiance was quite romantic.

We ordered drinks while we studied the food menu. I went for a bottle of Peroni beer (quite expensive at £3.30 for a 330ml bottle) and Emma, who was driving, ordered a glass of pineapple juice (£1.80).

Unlike some restaurants that have offered discounted vouchers in the past, there were no restrictions in place at Rossi's. We could order anything from the pizza and pasta sections of the menu, including seafood options.

Our meal was as follows:

Olive Appetiser – this came before our main meal and consisted of a bowl of around 30 pitted green and black olives and diced red peppers in a garlic marinade. They were very tasty!

Spaghetti Mare – this was my choice. Ordinarily, this would have cost £9.55 and was the most expensive of the pasta dishes on offer. I received a large bowl of spaghetti with around a dozen mussels in their shells, lots of small prawns and rings of squid, in a tomato, chilli, garlic and wine sauce. It was delicious! The portion was large and I'm pretty certain that the dish wasn't reduced in any way because we had used discount vouchers for our meal. I have had that suspicion in other restaurants where we have redeemed vouchers, but certainly not at Rossi's.

One of the very attentive waiters brought me a side plate for the mussel shells and another waiter came around adding black pepper and parmesan cheese as desired.

Crespella Pollo – this was Emma's choice and, although it was listed under the pasta section of the menu, it actually consisted of a pancake filled with chicken, onions, cheese, spinach and mushrooms and topped with a tomato and melted cheese sauce. Emma enjoyed it a lot. Usually, this dish would have cost £8.75.

Salad – the shared side salad came on a large plate and consisted of tomato, cucumber, lettuce, onions, olives, red peppers, and various green leaves. A waiter asked us if we'd like a dressing on it and, after learning that it was a French mustard and olive oil dressing, we decided that we would. It was a nice addition to the salad.

After enjoying our main courses, we asked to see the dessert menu. I'm not usually keen on restaurant desserts; I find them overpriced in most instances. That's probably true at Rossi's as well (the cheapest desserts were £4.95), but as we had received such good value with our vouchers I didn't begrudge splashing out on a dessert this time. We opted for:

Homemade Zuccotto (£4.95) – this was my choice. An Italian cake, soaked in Maraschino cherry liqueur and filled with hazelnuts and cherries and served with cream, a strawberry, a cape gooseberry and chocolate sauce. It was nice enough, but £4.95 was a bit steep.

Profiteroles (£4.95) – this was Emma's choice. Three good sized cream-filled profiteroles served with Italian ice cream and a cold chocolate sauce. Emma was very impressed with them!

As we paid our bill, the waitress asked if we would like complimentary shots of Marsala wine (a sweet Italian fortified wine). We did...and it was a nice end to a very good meal.

Overall, we really enjoyed our meal at Rossi's. The food was tasty, the portions were large and the staff were incredibly friendly and attentive. We both agreed that this was probably the best Italian restaurant we have visited in Sheffield and we would happily return again in future and pay full price for our meals.

Rossi's is open daily from 6:00pm until 11:30pm.

Delicious Italian food in romantic surroundings. Highly recommended!

Rossi's Italian Restaurant, Sheffield Dining room at Rossi's Italian Restaurant Homemade Zuccotto at Rossi's Italian Restaurant Food at Rossi's Italian Restaurant, Sheffield Spaghetti Mare at Rossi's Italian Restaurant

Ego Mediterranean Restaurant and Bar: Mediterranean Restaurant in city centre

by suvanki Written Oct 27, 2012

This was chosen for our recent 'Girls Night Out' after Rachel spotted it on her way to the Lyceum theatre.

Ego is in a great location, overlooking Tudor Square from its outside terrace, or into the award winning Winter Garden. It is part of the Mercure St Pauls Hotel and Spa, which overlooks the Peace Gardens.

Well it was a chilly October night when we ate here, so we didn't hang around outside, but the illuminated Tudor Square and the library looked stunning.

I was the first to arrive, and was met by a friendly waitress who showed me to our table, where menus were set out - so I had something to look at while waiting for the others. The restaurant had a pleasant atmosphere and was filling up with couples and groups of friends. Modern decor with plenty of glass, chrome and slate, which blends in with the Winter Garden. Tables are arranged so that you're not overlooking your neighbours too much.
    The others arrived and we had quite a wait before the waiter came to take our drinks orders - two of our group hadn't been able to make it , and the staff were waiting for them to arrive.
    We chose a bottle of one of their house reds to share between 4, while Michelle opted for a rose.

A good choice of starters, mains, sharing platters, pizzas etc from the menu, with a specials board (2 main choices) Greek, Spanish, Italian and Moroccan influences with meat, fish and vegetarian choices - see website for menus.

There were certainly some delicious aromas wafting around the restaurant.

We finally made our choices of starters and mains. Tina and Michelle were looking forward to sardines, but the waiter returned and apologetically explained that these were now off the menu.

One of the staff asked if seeing as two of our party hadn't turned up, could they remove the two end settings to make another table up. This was no problem as we still had plenty of room, but a complimentary bottle of wine appeared on our table!!

Our starters arrived, which we all enjoyed, then there was another wait for our main courses. Again we enjoyed our food, and we emptied our plates.

We didn't have room for desserts, but perused the menu, which made me wish that I wasn't so full. Instead we opted for coffees.

All in all a pleasant evening - nice atmosphere, comfortable fixtures and fittings. The service was friendly and polite, but the wait for drinks and between courses was a bit slow - It wasn't a problem for us as we were enjoying 'catching up', but its location in Sheffields' 'Theatreland' might mean that some diners would be eating prior to a show.

We were given Ego Club cards to complete, which entitles us to Special offers. This is one of a small chain, with restaurants (apart from Sheffield and Liverpool) in some of the lesser known towns of England -(Bramhall, Heswall, Kenilworth, Lychfield, Lytham and Stockton Heath)

We're still hoping to find a replacement for our favourite Bar&Grill which unexpectedly closed down earlier this year - Ego doesn't match up to the high standards of B&G, but I'm sure that We'll eat here again.

With a starter, main and coffees each plus wine and tip, we paid £32 each.

Favorite Dish: For my starter I chose the Grilled goats cheese on toasted brioche (with aged balsamic vinegar,caramelised red onion and apple and cranberry chutney),(pic 2) which was pleasant enough, though when I spotted the Beer battered tiger prawns that some of the others were enjoying, I was a bit envious!

For my main, I opted for the pan roasted rump lamb, sliced and served pink on a bed of minted pea risotto with a rosemary red wine jus.(pic 3)
    I like my lamb served pink, but found it quite difficult to cut, and had to ask for a steak knife.

Vegetables are ordered separately, so we chose a mixed salad, brocolli and chips (fries), which came in a miniature 'chip pan basket'(pic 4)
    The others chose the belly pork and the Sea Bass, which they enjoyed.

Ego Mediterranean Restaurant My goats cheese starter My lamb main course Chips?

Instant Answers: Sheffield

Comments

Sheffield Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Sheffield restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sheffield sightseeing.