Sheffield Restaurants

by suvanki

Most Recent Restaurants in Sheffield

Pedlers: Night Market- Street Food

by suvanki Written Oct 11, 2014

I was wandering around Arundel Street, calling into All Good Stuff to pick up some presents, calling into LP Record Store for a nosy - ended up purchasing something, then wandered down to the other end of the street to take photos of street art. When I noticed that there was something going off in the car park - food stalls were being set up. There was a bouncer/ security guy at the entrance who explained that the food stalls would be there Friday and Saturday until late.
    I returned Saturday afternoon, although I'd already eaten, so this time so didn't try the food, though I was very tempted!
    Apparently this event is hoped to be carried out on a monthly basis - I'm all for this- next time I'll turn up with an empty tummy and a full purse !!

To be continued with more photos and info...

Pedlers night market

Antibos: Classy Italian!

by suvanki Updated May 26, 2014

I Think this is still one of my favourite place to eat out in Sheffield at the moment, I must have eaten here about 6 times, most recently we had a 'pre-wedding party' for a work colleague, and our 'Girls Christmas Night Out', here.

In the new West One Precinct.

High ceilings, cream walls make this feel very spacious.Tasteful decorations, Comfortable bar/reception area. Pleasant dining area. Big padded menus. Staff are excellent - polite, efficient and professional.

Although slightly more expensive than some of the other Italian restaurants, I still feel that it's excellent value for money.
    For the quality of food, service and surroundings I would have expected to pay more.

just found out there's this bargain-

17.30 -1900 early menu 2 courses £6.95 plus half price cocktails!!

Child friendly, disabled access, car parking opposite restaurant

UPDATE - Well this used to be one of my favourite restaurants in Sheffield, but at my 2 most recent visits -the last being 12 months ago, I was very disappointed - the service was quite poor, and the food wasn't of the usual high quality that I'd enjoyed previously.

Antibos was busy, probably due to their 'budget menus' , but it appeared that quantity had overtaken quality. We'd booked our table for 10 of us, and had arrived in plenty of time, but still had to wait over 30 minutes for a table, then our service was very 'hit and miss' wrong orders, vegetables missing, having to re-request a jug of tap water 3 times - Hmmmm well we've not been back since - and have found a better alternative for our celebratory nights out.

UPDATE May 2014 We ended up returning to Antibo's for our monthly 'Girls Night Out' ( mainly because the restaurants that we did want to go to were booked up) I wasn't really looking forward to this, However, the food was delicious, and service had improved again, so may well be back here quite soon!
    This visit we took advantage of their £20 off of the bill, for four or more diners - I downloaded the voucher from their web site.

Favorite Dish: Garlic mushrooms, with filo baskets for starter..Mmmmmmmm!!!!!!

Seafood pasta for main course, Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!

Too full for dessert!

coffee and choc covered coffee beans to finish.
    Oh, and house white, 2 glasses of, which again was excellent!
    Bombay Sapphire G& T - Perfect!

Artwork in Antibos

Rutland Arms: Delicious unpretentious Pub Grub

by suvanki Updated May 7, 2014

The Rutland Arms is a long established pub in Sheffield, a few years ago it gained a bad reputation, but it's now turned itself around and is one of my favourite pubs in Sheffield.
    Surprisingly, I'd never set foot in this place until recently, although I've often driven or walked by and admired the street art on the exterior walls and in the beer garden, by phlegm, a well known street artist in these here parts.
    Well, we enjoyed a drink here one night, and I fell in love with the place - lovely atmosphere, traditional pub, good selection of drinks, including plenty of Real Ale and a great Juke Box!
    We'd planned to see a film at the nearby Showroom, and after previous experiences of a long wait to get a table there for food prior to seeing a film , or no food on for one reason or another, when we'd decamped to the nearby Street Food Chef, for excellent Mexican Burrito's, I checked out the menu at t'Rutland and it was a no brainer!
    The menu has a variety of options including burgers, which Phil opted for, I had opted for a pie and went to the bar to order, but the Specials Board caught my eye - was a bit spoilt for choice, but decided to go with the beef on the bone

To be continued - more info to follow!

My DELICIOUS Beef! Phils Burger Menu The Rutland Interior The Rutland Interior

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Fagan's: Well run traditional pub, with delicious food!

by suvanki Updated May 7, 2014

Fagan's is a Sheffield institution, a few minutes walk from the city centre, this is a traditional pub, perhaps a bit old fashioned and maybe a bit shabby, but I Love it! And so do many others. ( including some well known Sheffielders and world renowned names) Richard Hawley is to be found here often, and he is known to conduct interviews with the press here - fans send mail addressed to him here.

Struggling for a place to book our Works Christmas night out in 2013, one of our staff suggested Fagan's
    for it's Home Cooked food at very reasonable prices - a 'phone call and we were in! Tom and Barbara couldn't have been more helpful in helping us arrange our night.

To be continued- more info and photos to follow !

Favorite Dish: My favourite dish at my first visit was the streak pie - huge portion, with a lovely pie crust and succulent beef... To be continued..

Yummy Pie, chips, peas,  Hendo's, Oh and Guinness!
    • Beer Tasting

Bar 23 - West One: British Cuisine

by suvanki Updated May 7, 2014

UPDATE - this restaurant closed and was replaced by Fitzwilliam and West - didn't 't get the chance to eat here before IT closed! Will move this to 'Gone But Not Forgotten' travelogues, once I get to my PC .
    UPDATE- I ate here again earlier this year, again for Patsys Birthday - I'm afraid that I didn't enjoy my meal as much this time -it was OK enough, but not to the same standard as our previous visit.
    There was a large private party on at the same time, complete with DJ - the music levels making it difficult to chat and relax.

Celebrating Patsy's Birthday, she chose this restaurant on Tinas Hubby's recommendation!

After a drink in the nearby Revolution bar, we adjourned to this restaurant a few feet away, in the West One Plaza.

Passing the bar, we went upstairs, to the third floor, where we were shown to our table for 5. The staff were all friendly, smart and polite.
    Decor was low lighting, creams and browns, comfy leather settes in lounge area etc.
    Bar on ground floor, lounge seating and toilets 2nd, Restaurant 3rd floor.

We eventually chose our meal - We were all dithering - so many tasty dishes!

We all went with the 2 course menu for £16 - available Mon - Sat 18.30 - 21.30, (3 courses is £18), which worked out cheaper than if we'd booked the dishes separately.

So for starters, Heather and I had goats cheese, deep fried in almonds, roasted beetroot and rocket salad (£5.50), Which was gorgeous!! Patsy and Bev had Pan fried scallops, saffron risotto and piperade (£7.00, plus £3.50 supplement if taken as part of set menu), Tina had wild mushroom risotto(£5)- we all had a try of this and it was Yummy - creamy and full of flavour!

For mains - I had Lamb shank , which came with roast potatoes and parsnips(£15), Tina- had chicken wrapped in ham, with a dish of vegetables, Bev and Patsy had Pork, belly pork and crackling, Heather had Soy and Ginger Tuna loin with wasabi sauteed potatoes (£14.50)

(The prices listed are if not using the 2 / 3 course offer)

We missed out on desert, but had coffees, which came with chocolates.

We paid £20 each, which included wine/ beer/ water and a tip.

We were all unanimous, this had been a great night out, great food , great atmosphere, and we will be back soon!

• Women's Travel

• iaint's Profile Photo

Pizza Express: mixed

by iaint Written Feb 3, 2014

This wasn't my first choice of place to eat dinner, but the one I wanted was closing (6pm on a Sunday - strange). Pizza Express was across the street, and I didn't have a lot of time to look for somewhere else.

I haven't been in one of the chain for many years - I avoid that kind of place.

Well, I've been right all these years. A tiny pizza for £8.70, and it was nothing special. I can easily get a bigger, better one for €5.50 in Bavaria. About half the price.

I ordered dessert too - apple crumble. I found a bit of cork (from a wine bottle) in it. It was also a tiny portion, and expensive at £5.20.

So, to sum up - a complete rip off.

On the positive side, the service was excellent. The waiter was very apologetic about the dessert, and it wasn't on the bill.

Favorite Dish: There isn't one.

• iaint's Profile Photo

Brown's: stay away

by iaint Written Feb 3, 2014

Having just got off the train after arriving in the city on a Sunday lunchtime, I came across this place and it looked like a good bet for a light lunch.

Ordered a Virgin Mary (Bloody Mary minus the vodka) and a Caesar Salad with 2 poached eggs (instead of chicken).

Alarm bells rang when the drink arrived - looked great (and tasted good) apart from the celery stick, which was discoloured at the bottom. Very sloppy - too hard to cut it off before serving, or too lazy to look before using it?

My jaw dropped when the salad arrived. It was too small to qualify as even a side salad. Maximum 3 lettuce leaves. Tasted good, but for £10.50 it was a disgrace.

I overheard a waiter giving the customers at the next table a long list of the things on the menu which weren't available.

Take my advice and give the place a miss.

Favorite Dish: There isn't one.

ground & 1st floors Virgin Mary & manky celery

Hells Kitchen: Diner/Take Away

by suvanki Updated Jun 14, 2013

I drive past this place most days, and was intrigued by the red building and the 'Devil in the Basket' also by the signs boasting "Better than the usual rubbish sandwich shops"!
    It took me a while to try this place - either in a hurry to get to work/had my lunch with me or - no parking space! Parking on the road outside, but there are double yellow lines a short distance from the entrance.

Well it was worth the wait!

For Take- Aways, there is an extensive list of sandwiches (hot and cold), wraps, salads, oven baked potatoes etc, served from a window to the right of the door.(See their website for menu) I finally made my choice, and waited while my sandwich was created. The kitchen is open plan, so you can see the food preparation area etc. The staff here are very efficient. One person was carving a succulent looking joint of pork, complete with crackling - I'll certainly try a hot roast sandwich soon!

All of the fillings, soups etc are freshly made here.

Seating inside and out, though I've not stepped foot inside yet. I have returned for another sandwich, which was just as good as my first one.

Open Monday-Saturday 07.00 - 15.00.

Favorite Dish: Chinese Chicken salad on breadcake and Banana Milk Shake with Ice Cream!!!!

Large bread cake crammed with a tasty filling , with generous chunks of chicken - Mmmmmmm!

The banana shake was made with ice cream, and had a lovely flavour.

Hells Kitchen Hells Kitchen Menu Hells Kitchen Hells Kitchen Hells Kitchen
    • Architecture

Rossi's: Delicious Italian food in a romantic setting

by SWFC_Fan Updated Mar 3, 2013

My girlfriend and I walked past Rossi's Italian Restaurant countless times in the days when my girlfriend lived in a nearby apartment, but never actually ate there.

This fairly upmarket restaurant is long established (operating for over 30 years) and is housed in a grand former bank building on a corner of Sharrow Lane just off bustling London Road.

Unusual for the area (and for Sheffield as a whole), Rossi's employs a door man in a smart uniform who welcomes diners and keeps a watchful eye on their cars. This gave us the impression that it might be a bit too upmarket (and expensive) for our tastes.

This impression was reinforced when we used to peer through the window and see a dining room with ornate ceiling frescoes, marble columns and a replica of Michelangelo's Statue of David.

In the autumn of 2012, Rossi's ran an offer via the Living Social website, where diners could purchase vouchers for £12 entitling them to:

Pizza or Pasta dish each for two people;
    Olive appetiser;
    Salad for two people.

We purchased one of these vouchers and finally redeemed it on a Sunday evening in March 2013.

Prior to our visit, we had a quick look through the online MENU, but hadn't decided what to order when we arrived at the restaurant.

We got to the restaurant shortly before our 6:30pm booking and found that the doorman wasn't working that evening. We made our way inside and found it surprisingly busy – considering that it was a Sunday evening in tough economic times. There was a large birthday party on one table and a number of couples who were perhaps, like us, redeeming their Living Social vouchers.

A friendly waiter showed us to a table, right next to the Statue of David, and gave us menus and a wine list. The interior lighting was dim, the tables were candlelit and the overall ambiance was quite romantic.

We ordered drinks while we studied the food menu. I went for a bottle of Peroni beer (quite expensive at £3.30 for a 330ml bottle) and Emma, who was driving, ordered a glass of pineapple juice (£1.80).

Unlike some restaurants that have offered discounted vouchers in the past, there were no restrictions in place at Rossi's. We could order anything from the pizza and pasta sections of the menu, including seafood options.

Our meal was as follows:

Olive Appetiser – this came before our main meal and consisted of a bowl of around 30 pitted green and black olives and diced red peppers in a garlic marinade. They were very tasty!

Spaghetti Mare – this was my choice. Ordinarily, this would have cost £9.55 and was the most expensive of the pasta dishes on offer. I received a large bowl of spaghetti with around a dozen mussels in their shells, lots of small prawns and rings of squid, in a tomato, chilli, garlic and wine sauce. It was delicious! The portion was large and I'm pretty certain that the dish wasn't reduced in any way because we had used discount vouchers for our meal. I have had that suspicion in other restaurants where we have redeemed vouchers, but certainly not at Rossi's.

One of the very attentive waiters brought me a side plate for the mussel shells and another waiter came around adding black pepper and parmesan cheese as desired.

Crespella Pollo – this was Emma's choice and, although it was listed under the pasta section of the menu, it actually consisted of a pancake filled with chicken, onions, cheese, spinach and mushrooms and topped with a tomato and melted cheese sauce. Emma enjoyed it a lot. Usually, this dish would have cost £8.75.

Salad – the shared side salad came on a large plate and consisted of tomato, cucumber, lettuce, onions, olives, red peppers, and various green leaves. A waiter asked us if we'd like a dressing on it and, after learning that it was a French mustard and olive oil dressing, we decided that we would. It was a nice addition to the salad.

After enjoying our main courses, we asked to see the dessert menu. I'm not usually keen on restaurant desserts; I find them overpriced in most instances. That's probably true at Rossi's as well (the cheapest desserts were £4.95), but as we had received such good value with our vouchers I didn't begrudge splashing out on a dessert this time. We opted for:

Homemade Zuccotto (£4.95) – this was my choice. An Italian cake, soaked in Maraschino cherry liqueur and filled with hazelnuts and cherries and served with cream, a strawberry, a cape gooseberry and chocolate sauce. It was nice enough, but £4.95 was a bit steep.

Profiteroles (£4.95) – this was Emma's choice. Three good sized cream-filled profiteroles served with Italian ice cream and a cold chocolate sauce. Emma was very impressed with them!

As we paid our bill, the waitress asked if we would like complimentary shots of Marsala wine (a sweet Italian fortified wine). We did...and it was a nice end to a very good meal.

Overall, we really enjoyed our meal at Rossi's. The food was tasty, the portions were large and the staff were incredibly friendly and attentive. We both agreed that this was probably the best Italian restaurant we have visited in Sheffield and we would happily return again in future and pay full price for our meals.

Rossi's is open daily from 6:00pm until 11:30pm.

Delicious Italian food in romantic surroundings. Highly recommended!

Rossi's Italian Restaurant, Sheffield Dining room at Rossi's Italian Restaurant Homemade Zuccotto at Rossi's Italian Restaurant Food at Rossi's Italian Restaurant, Sheffield Spaghetti Mare at Rossi's Italian Restaurant

• suvanki's Profile Photo

PJ Taste: Selectively sourced, locally loyal!

by suvanki Updated Dec 8, 2012

This Sandwich Shop/TakeAway hit Glossop Road early May06

Anyone familiar with this area, will be aware that there are LOTS of Sandwich shops on West Street/Glossop Road. However, this one is a cut above the rest!

Peter and John endeavour to provide a friendly service, with QUALITY products, at reasonable prices, and as far as possible, the food is locally sourced.

As well as being an above average sandwich shop, the coffee (to drink in or take away) is of the best quality, and there is also the opportunity to buy high class delli goods!

Locally produced pickles/chutneys, oils, vinegars, crisps, snacks to buy, Fairtrade products , wines and beers, hampers etc.

The menu changes weekly, with an ever expanding choice, the staff are happy to create your own sandwich specifications. They will also cater for office parties, weddings etc.

This is a shopping/eating experience where you are treated with genuine 'old fashioned customer service' - where they like to know about their customers likes/dislikes, suggestions. Peter and John have a genuine interest in the products they are selling/ creating for their customers.

A newsletter, launched just before Christmas, invited their customers to chose the name for the newsletter, and there was a draw to win the chance to eat /drink free for a week!

Since opening, their business has expanded . They are now serving a hot dish of the day

Their latest addition is a 1960's Juke box, which they're hoping to feature Sheffield bands and artistes.

Check out their website for more info.

Favorite Dish: Citrus Hits- Real lemonade with mint or lavender, 85p

Freshly Squeezed orange juice,

Chocolate Cookies Mmmmmmmm! These are to die for!!!!!

Whirlow Farm Bacon,Cos Lettuce and Sweet Cherry Tomato on Rusky Roll

Aberdeen Angus Rare Roast Beef with Beetroot and Horseradish dressing and Rocket

Crayfish in lime and coriander dressing on Rosemary Foccacio

Fresh Fruit Salad with natural yogurt and granola topping

John and Peter of PJ Taste Citrus Hit!- a unique taste experience. Shelf display and yummy crisps!! PJ Taste - freebie coffee promo!
    • Study Abroad

Ego Mediterranean Restaurant and Bar: Mediterranean Restaurant in city centre

by suvanki Written Oct 27, 2012

This was chosen for our recent 'Girls Night Out' after Rachel spotted it on her way to the Lyceum theatre.

Ego is in a great location, overlooking Tudor Square from its outside terrace, or into the award winning Winter Garden. It is part of the Mercure St Pauls Hotel and Spa, which overlooks the Peace Gardens.

Well it was a chilly October night when we ate here, so we didn't hang around outside, but the illuminated Tudor Square and the library looked stunning.

I was the first to arrive, and was met by a friendly waitress who showed me to our table, where menus were set out - so I had something to look at while waiting for the others. The restaurant had a pleasant atmosphere and was filling up with couples and groups of friends. Modern decor with plenty of glass, chrome and slate, which blends in with the Winter Garden. Tables are arranged so that you're not overlooking your neighbours too much.
    The others arrived and we had quite a wait before the waiter came to take our drinks orders - two of our group hadn't been able to make it , and the staff were waiting for them to arrive.
    We chose a bottle of one of their house reds to share between 4, while Michelle opted for a rose.

A good choice of starters, mains, sharing platters, pizzas etc from the menu, with a specials board (2 main choices) Greek, Spanish, Italian and Moroccan influences with meat, fish and vegetarian choices - see website for menus.

There were certainly some delicious aromas wafting around the restaurant.

We finally made our choices of starters and mains. Tina and Michelle were looking forward to sardines, but the waiter returned and apologetically explained that these were now off the menu.

One of the staff asked if seeing as two of our party hadn't turned up, could they remove the two end settings to make another table up. This was no problem as we still had plenty of room, but a complimentary bottle of wine appeared on our table!!

Our starters arrived, which we all enjoyed, then there was another wait for our main courses. Again we enjoyed our food, and we emptied our plates.

We didn't have room for desserts, but perused the menu, which made me wish that I wasn't so full. Instead we opted for coffees.

All in all a pleasant evening - nice atmosphere, comfortable fixtures and fittings. The service was friendly and polite, but the wait for drinks and between courses was a bit slow - It wasn't a problem for us as we were enjoying 'catching up', but its location in Sheffields' 'Theatreland' might mean that some diners would be eating prior to a show.

We were given Ego Club cards to complete, which entitles us to Special offers. This is one of a small chain, with restaurants (apart from Sheffield and Liverpool) in some of the lesser known towns of England -(Bramhall, Heswall, Kenilworth, Lychfield, Lytham and Stockton Heath)

We're still hoping to find a replacement for our favourite Bar&Grill which unexpectedly closed down earlier this year - Ego doesn't match up to the high standards of B&G, but I'm sure that We'll eat here again.

With a starter, main and coffees each plus wine and tip, we paid £32 each.

Favorite Dish: For my starter I chose the Grilled goats cheese on toasted brioche (with aged balsamic vinegar,caramelised red onion and apple and cranberry chutney),(pic 2) which was pleasant enough, though when I spotted the Beer battered tiger prawns that some of the others were enjoying, I was a bit envious!

For my main, I opted for the pan roasted rump lamb, sliced and served pink on a bed of minted pea risotto with a rosemary red wine jus.(pic 3)
    I like my lamb served pink, but found it quite difficult to cut, and had to ask for a steak knife.

Vegetables are ordered separately, so we chose a mixed salad, brocolli and chips (fries), which came in a miniature 'chip pan basket'(pic 4)
    The others chose the belly pork and the Sea Bass, which they enjoyed.

Ego Mediterranean Restaurant My goats cheese starter My lamb main course Chips?

Whitbys: Fish and Chip Restaurant

by suvanki Written Oct 27, 2012

Well technically Whitbys is in Rotherham and not Sheffield, but I'll keep it in Sheffield for now - It's only 4 miles from Sheffield city centre

"A taste of the seaside on your doorstep" is their slogan! Well it may be nearly on my doorstep, but Catcliffe is at least a 2 hour drive from the East Coast.

I found about this place through an article in The Star -our local newspaper. Well, we had to give it a try out!

Our local fish and chip shop is somewhere that I avoid, after some truly appalling 'take aways' - packs of bargain frozen fish fillets devoid of flavour, and staff who have little interest in the craft of creating this most traditional of British dishes. Also, it's not the cheap meal that it once was, so a fish and chip supper is a rare treat.
    Growing up in the 60's/70's I remember Fish and Chip restaurants, which were often up stairs or behind the Take Away counter. Formica tables with a salt shaker and glass vinegar bottle with a hole to shake/spray the malt vinegar onto your fish and chips. Nothing stronger than tea or fruit squash to wash it down with.
    Take Aways were placed on grease proof paper, sprinkled with salt and vinegar to your preferred ratio, then wrapped tightly in newspaper, or left open to eat on the way home with a wooden fork - a treat being added 'scraps' - the small crunchy pieces of batter that were drained from the oil . Mushy peas, baked beans, curry sauce being additions. Large jars of pickled onions and Pickled eggs were usually seen on the counter to purchase.
    Sadly many of these restaurants closed or diversified into a hotch potch of cuisines - mainly kebabs.

So, not long after Whitbys had opened, we decided to eat there.
    Early Friday evening, Phil and I managed to get there just in time - it was quite full already, and a short while later it was packed. The restaurant seats 160 diners.

We were surprised that it's so popular as it's 'Off the beaten path' It's near Morrisons Supermarket, and from the road it looks like a modern office building. I'd only been aware of it through the aforementioned article. I'd not seen any flyers about it opening. There must be a good 'Bush Telegraph' in Catcliffe!

We parked up in the large car park and entered this newly built restaurant. As the article had noted, the decor has no hint of it being a Fish restaurant. or having anything to do with Whitby, (the east coast resort noted for its traditional Fish and Chip restaurants such as The Magpie and Trenchers (where some of the staff were 'head hunted' from)

We were seated at a table for two, in a row of identical tables. These are quite close together, so you are privy to your neighbours (and their neighbours conversations/ arguements/' phone conversations) So, not the most relaxing of experiences!

The menu was quite limited, but that suited us fine - Battered cod, chips, mushy peas with sliced white bread and butter and a pot of tea were what we'd gone there for. The restaurant is fully licensed - but I'm afraid that I can't bring myself to eat this traditional meal with a cold drink.

Our order was taken quite briskly, and relayed into the waitresses hand held 'computer'.
    My seat was facing away from the restaurant, so not the best 'people watching spot' and it was difficult to avoid eye contact with my neighbouring diners, who were in the middle of a bickering session. There was a mix of clientele - men in work overalls, families, couples and groups of friends.

A Taste of The Sea? Well not for a minute did I forget that I was in Rotherham and Imagine that I was in one of our seaside resorts ....... but it's good to have a Fish and Chip restaurant nearly on my doorstep
    You pay at the desk in the foyer on your way out.

Well the meal was OK, but the seating arrangements left a bit to be desired. There were tables that seated family groups etc, but it appeared that couples were banished to this area. So, it's not been a place that we've returned to.

However, after recently enjoying a weekend in Whitby, and eating some excellent Fish and Chips, with the smell of the sea air in our nostrils, I did get a craving for more, so headed for Whitbys, but this time to their adjacent Take Away for Cod, chips and mushy peas. Again, the fish is fried to order, so there was a wait. I was there mid afternoon mid-week, and was the only customer - later on and towards the weekend, I should imagine that there are large queues.There are six fryers apparently.

The fish and chips are served in cardboard boxes. My meal was still hot after the short drive home.
    If I hadn't been so impressed by my Fish and Chips at Whitby, I'd have been very pleased with these, but they weren't quite as good. No doubt the next time I fancy Fish and Chips, I'll head here!

Open Daily 11.30 - 21.00 hours (til 2200 Fri/Sat during July and August)

Disabled access throughout
    Gluten Free Batter available
    Fish can also be poached

Groups/coach parties catered for
    Childrens Menu available.

Favorite Dish: Our freshly fried (in beef dripping NOT oil) fish and chips arrived after an appropriate length of time, and were piping hot. The batter was crispy and the fish moist.

The tea was a bit stewed (left standing for a bit too long) but the home made tartare sauce was a nice accompaniment.. The mushy peas were okay.
    There are desserts on the menu, but we were too full.

Whitbys Take Away

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Harland Cafe: A Hidden gem!

by suvanki Updated Oct 21, 2012

I first became aware of this cafe while reading about the recently deceased Sheffield photographer, Martin Jenkinson Guardian Obituarywho captured the 'Northern Spirit' and was especially noted for some of the Black and White iconic images of the 'Battle of Orgreave' and other 'historical' moments during the miners strike of 1984.

Well, I was curious to see these photos, particularly as Mr B had been there as a striking miner, and reading about the cafe - This sounded like my kind of place!

Formerly known as Cafe Euro, the Harland Cafes owners Steve and Sarah state, the Harland is "A brand new café arose from the steel city, bucking the trend of american franchise coffee shops and bringing a warm, homely, tasteful atmosphere to the café experience".

It's to be found between London Road/Bramall Lane - near to Go Outdoors (CCC) and The Edge Climbing centre, in the heart of the former 'Little Sheffield' cutlery and tool making quarter of the city. Many of these 'Little Mesters' works can be seen around here still. I sneaked a look through a gateway at one of these.(pic 5)

On street parking, but this is quite a busy area with deliveries to nearby businesses.

Well, I popped in on my way to work one morning recently, and I was more than happy with this place - Entering, the premises, there was a lovely, welcoming atmosphere.

Stripped wood flooring, wooden tables and chairs, with a squidgy settee.
    Outside, there is seating in the court yard - I'll have to check this out sometime.

This would be a great place to relax with a newspaper, or a book. There is a crammed book case to chose from.

A mix of clientele during my short visit - a trio of 'mature' gentlemen from the nearby climbing centre (The Edge), a man who looked like he intended staying there for a good few hours, and 'babysitting grandparents', amongst others.

What to eat? Well I was spoilt for choice! A delicious choice of Sandwiches, which I managed to narrow down to Lemon Pepper Chicken. The bread comes from the local Walkley Bakery - as much as possible, local suppliers are used.

Sheffield has a great range of food producers and suppliers, and I do prefer to frequent establishments that promote local businesses.

I placed my order, and was invited to take a seat, while my sarnie was prepared.
    Again, nice customer service - You're made to feel like 'a guest' not an inconvenience.

I took the chance to peruse the many photos of Martin Jenkinson, including his 'Battle of Orgreave' shots, along with portraits of political figures - Mo Mowlam, Tony Blair and Dennis Healey, and entertainers such as Linda Smith and John Cooper Clarke.

As soon as I could, I returned here, again on my way to work, where I picked up a couple of slices of Orange Poppyseed cake - A great selection of Home Made cakes, cookies, etc. and just after I'd chosen, the man behind the counter mentioned that there plenty of other cakes not on display!!!!!

The Harland has many regular 'events' - see the website for details.
    Noticeboard featuring local events and businesses etc.

Note to self - get up early and try one of their breakfasts on the way to work one day soon!
    or try the homemade soup and a sandwich for lunch, or their 'My Cow Molly' affogato or............

Yes, can see me making this a regular stop off

Opening times:
    Monday to Friday - 8am - 5pm
    Saturday - 9am - 5pm
    Sunday - 10am - 4pm

Facebook Page

Update - called in here for a late afternoon lunch with Phil after a walk around
    I chose the soup and Sandwich option - Soup of the day Leek and Potato which was very tasty along with a yummy lemon pepper chicken sandwich.(£5.50) Phil chose the same sandwich with a side order of chips which he proclaimed were "proper chips"!
    We both chose a bottle of ginger beer to wash it down with. We were too full to eat a pudding but chose a slice each of the rhubarb and ginger cake to take away, which we enjoyed later at home with a cup of tea!

Sorry that Phil didn't get to see the Martin Jenkinson exhibition, but we enjoyed the 27 exhibition instead.
    Looking forward to my/ our next visit here!
    Yes.... I'm truly smitten with this place!

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed my Lemon pepper Chicken sandwich on granary bread - it probably cost a bit more than other sarnies that can be purchased in town, but these were quality ingredients - the bread and chicken had wonderful flavours, which weren't out powered by the lemon pepper flavouring.

Harland Cafe exterior Harland Cafe - Martin Jenkinson exhibition Harland Cafe Harland Cafe Stag works - next door to cafe

La Mama: South American tapas on Abbeydale Road

by SWFC_Fan Written Oct 9, 2012

I shall begin this review by outlining my feelings towards tapas restaurants in the UK. My experience has generally been that tapas restaurants here charge much higher prices and serve smaller portions than their Spanish counterparts. Whereas we found ourselves paying two Euros for a plate of ham and cheese or fried shrimps in Malaga, we tend to find ourselves paying £5 or £6 for an equivalent dish in the UK. I have rarely visited a tapas restaurant in the UK and come away feeling that I had received good value for money.

We have eaten in several tapas restaurants in Sheffield. Both "Platillos" (in Leopold Square) and "Cubana" (on Trippet Lane) serve a large range of tasty tapas dishes. The food at both places is good, but I find myself mentally keeping tally of the bill as I eat as all those little dishes soon add up to an expensive meal! I find these types of restaurants are best visited as a large party, where dozens of dishes are shared by numerous people; it's a great way of sampling small portions of dishes that you might not otherwise order.

The best value tapas that we've eaten in Sheffield is at the "La Tasca" chain (which has branches on Ecclesall Road and in Meadowhall shopping mall). The food might not be as authentic as it is at Platillos or Cubana, but it's much better value in my opinion. We have particularly enjoyed eating there during their "Tapas for a Tenner" evenings where you can enjoy unlimited tapas for just £10 per person.

However, none of these restaurants come anywhere near to comparing with the tapas bars we visited in southern Spain, either in terms of food quality, value for money or atmosphere.

So, when we visited La Mama Latin Tapas Bar & Restaurant on Abbeydale Road one Wednesday evening in October 2012, it's fair to say that I had already built up a certain expectation; small portions and high prices.

The bill would be kept under control to some extent as several weeks earlier we had purchased a voucher from the "Living Social" website which entitled us to £20 worth of food for £9.

I read a number of reviews on Tripadvisor and local Sheffield forums prior to our visit and they were generally very positive. Many people commented on the authenticity of the food and, to my surprise, quite a few even commented on the large portions and value for money that was received. I also ascertained that La Mama is a South American (particularly Chilean) influenced restaurant rather than a Spanish one.

A board outside the restaurant advertised the fact that La Mama offer "Happy Hours" during the week, where you can enjoy 4 tapas dishes for £12 (Tuesday-Thursday 6pm-7:30pm and all evening on Mondays). As we arrived just before 7pm, I wondered if we'd be able to use our voucher in conjunction with this offer. It turns out that we couldn't. Nor could we use the voucher against any of the special combo meals that feature on the menu. That still left dozens of hot and cold tapas dishes and accompaniments that we could choose from.

When we phoned ahead to make the booking we were informed that a live music act would be performing from 7:30pm, so we expected it to be quite busy. However, when we arrived just before 7pm there were only two other diners there.

The restaurant's interior is fairly authentic. Ok, we didn't quite feel as though we were in Spain or South America, but at least they've made an effort. There are photos of South American sights on the walls, as well as castanets, a guitar and a large wooden wine barrel in a corner next to the bar.

We studied the drinks menu, which included a small selection of Chilean and Argentinian wines and a selection of cocktails such as Pisco Sour. A small board on the bar listed a handful of bottled beers that were available; including Cruzcampo (from Spain) and Brahma (from Brazil). With small bottles of beer costing £3.50 and cocktails costing over £6, we just ordered a couple of glasses of lemonade.

After much deliberation, we finally settled on a selection of 7 dishes between us.

Chile Prawns - Price: £6.20

A bowl of 9 prawns (each one about the same size as my thumb) cooked in oil with garlic and bird's eye chillies. The first mouthful took my breath away (thanks to the chillies!), but after the initial excitement, I found it to be a tasty, but not outstanding, dish. I enjoyed it, but I thought that it was very expensive for what it was.

Beef Empanadas - Price: £4.95

Two pastries filled with mildly spicy minced beef, onions and black olives. They were nice enough, but not remarkable.

Lamb Skewer - Price: £6.20

About four pieces of tender (and quite rare) lamb cooked on a skewer with mushrooms, onions and cherry tomatoes. Emma chose this dish, and consumed most of it, and found that the lamb was a little too rare for her liking. As with the prawns, we both thought that it was overpriced for what it was. There are restaurants where we can enjoy an entire main meal for that price, not a solitary skewer with a few small pieces of lamb on.

Hummus with Bread - Price: £2.95

A bowl of hummus topped with paprika and served with a not-very-generous three small pieces of bread.

Garlic Mushrooms - Price: ca. £4.00

A bowl containing around 10 mushrooms cooked in oil and garlic. Nice enough, but pretty standard fare.

"Berenjenas al Horno" - Price: ca. £4.00

A South American dish consisting of aubergine in a tomato sauce topped with melted cheese. It was tasty and was Emma's favourite dish of the evening.

Patatas Bravas - Price: £2.95

A reasonable sized bowl of potatoes in a spicy sauce. They were a little too spicy for Emma, but were some of the best patatas bravas I've tasted – they had a nice kick to them.

Other dishes on the menu included fried squid, octopus, sea bass, chorizo, chicken piri-piri, pork medallions, Spanish omelette, bread with olive oil, cheese filled empanadas and more substantial meals such as seafood paella and steaks.

During the course of our meal, the live music started. It was provided by a two piece jazz band called "Seven Shades" and included their take on a few recognisable songs such as "Blue Moon" and "Cry Me a River". Sadly, it largely fell on deaf ears. There were only two other tables occupied; both with small groups of females, and they were chatting amongst themselves rather than paying attention to the music.

We politely applauded each song as we enjoyed our post meal drinks. We had elected to have a look at the dessert menu, but the prices immediately put us off. So instead we just ordered hot drinks. Emma had a spicy chai latte (£2.00) and I had a Carajillo (£2.50); a shot of espresso coffee topped up with rum and foamy milk.

Overall conclusion...

We both agreed that the food was nice, but not spectacular, and that the prices were very steep given the fairly meagre portion sizes.

The food, the prices and the friendly staff reminded me a lot of Cubana. On a busier evening, perhaps the atmosphere would have too, but on this occasion it was far less lively than Cubana has ever been when we've visited.

We'd probably go back again, but if we did so it would be during one of the restaurant's Happy Hours. £3 per dish is probably what I'd consider a reasonable price.

I'm sorry to report that La Mama reinforced my feelings towards UK tapas restaurants. I'd give it 3 out of 5; 4 for the food, but only 2 for the value for money.

A good selection of South American influenced tapas dishes. The portions were too small and the prices too high for my liking. If we returned again, it would be during "Happy Hour" when the dishes are more reasonably priced.

La Mama tapas bar and restaurant, Sheffield Interior at La Mama tapas bar, Sheffield Lamb skewer at La Mama tapas bar, Sheffield Patatas bravas at La Mama tapas bar, Sheffield

Turkuaz Bar & Grill: Tasty Turkish food on London Road

by SWFC_Fan Written Aug 22, 2012

My girlfriend and I had lunch at Turkuaz Bar & Grill Turkish restaurant one Sunday afternoon in August 2012.

The restaurant had only been open for around 6 weeks and we had taken advantage of a Groupon offer; 10 meze dishes for 2 people for £14. We were able to choose 3 cold meze dishes and 2 hot meze dishes each.

Turkuaz is located on London Road, the heart of Sheffield's foreign cuisine scene, and just a few minutes walk from the city centre. It is situated above Ozmen International Food Centre; a supermarket that sells foodstuffs from all over the world, including many Turkish foods and drinks.

We made our way upstairs, past photos of Ephesus, Istanbul and other Turkish sights, to find a surprisingly large and bright dining room with freshly painted walls, dozens of neatly set tables and more photos of Turkey's most famous sights. The friendly young waitress showed us to a table by the window, overlooking bustling London Road below.

I had managed to have a quick look at the menu online prior to our visit and, although I didn't recognise many of the dishes by name, each one contained a detailed description of what it contained.

All of the cold meze options were vegetarian and the majority of them came with an accompaniment of freshly baked flat bread. Many of the hot meze dishes were also suitable for vegetarians, with a few meat options such as Kofte (minced lamb parcels), Arnavut Cigeri (lamb's liver) and Sucuk (grilled Turkish sausage). If we had been paying full price, the dishes ranged in price from £2.50 to £4 each.

Our waitress informed us that many of the people who came with a Groupon voucher found it best to treat the offer as a two course meal with the cold meze dishes followed by the hot meze dishes. The portions were fairly large and had all ten dishes arrived at once we would have been overwhelmed with food and not had enough room on our table to eat them comfortably.

We ordered 3 cold meze dishes each and shared them between us. I opted for:

Sarma - three vine leaves filled with rice, sundried tomato paste, herbs, spices and small berries. They were delicious and came with a helping of yoghurt dip.

Ezme – this was the only dish on the meze menu that had a small chilli next to it, indicating that it was spicy. It was described on the menu as a salad, but was more like a puree or a salsa. It contained various vegetables, chilli, lemon juice, olive oil and garlic and was an interesting blend of spiciness and coolness. This was my favourite of the cold starters and was ideal for dipping pieces of warm flat bread into.

Patlican Salatasi – pureed aubergine mixed with yoghurt, olive oil and garlic. This was a cool, largely yoghurt based dip which was an ideal contrast to the spicier Ezme. It too was ideal for dipping the flat bread into.

Emma opted for:

Humous – this was one of the few dishes on the meze menu that either of us recognised by name. A plateful of pureed chickpeas with tahini, olive oil, lemon and garlic.

Ispanak – "fresh baby spinach in creamy yoghurt with mint and a hint of garlic" is how the menu pretty accurately described it. The yoghurt was very cooling and the taste of mint was evident.

Saksuka – although this dish didn't have a chilli next to its description on the menu, it had a spiciness that wasn't far off that of the Ezme. The vegetables were more diced than pureed in this dish and included aubergine, fried potatoes and peppers in a spicy tomato based sauce. It was a little spicy for Emma, but I enjoyed it.

Just as we were finishing our selection of cold meze dishes, our waitress brought over our four hot dishes and cleared away the plates from the cold dishes.

Both Emma and I opted for:

Grilled Hellim - despite its slightly different name, we knew from the description on the menu ("chargrilled finest quality Cypriot cheese") that this was Halloumi. We both love this slightly salty cheese which has a rubbery texture when grilled. The portion size was generous and the cheese was every bit as tasty as we hoped it would be. It was accompanied by a few green salad leaves and herbs.

I opted for:

Kalamari – around seven squid rings fried in a delicate and crispy batter. The texture wasn't too rubbery and the batter was ideally light. They were served with tartare sauce, green salad leaves and slices of lemon and were very enjoyable.

Emma opted for:

Icli Kofte – a fried parcel of minced lamb, onions and bulgur served with sour cream and half of a giant tomato.

Throughout the course of our meal we received two baskets full of freshly baked Turkish flat bread and were told to ask for more as and when we required it. This was an ideal accompaniment for many of the dishes, especially the cold meze options which were largely dips and purees.

I enjoyed a couple of glasses of Turkish tea (strong tea served in traditional tea glasses with a couple of sugar cubes on the side) and Emma had a glass of mango juice and a glass of Turkish tea. We also received a jug of cold water with lemon slices in it. When we received the bill, we found that not only was the water complimentary but so too was the Turkish tea. With the Groupon voucher covering our food, the bill for our drinks was a measly £1.50 for Emma's mango juice. When the waiter brought our bill, he also brought with it two pieces of Turkish Delight for us. We left a decent tip; the food was delicious (we cleared every plate) and the service was friendly and efficient.

Emma and I agreed that we would return to Turkuaz again in future to sample the main courses. The kitchen has an open grill which can be seen from the dining room, so we were able to see a variety of kebabs and grilled meat dishes being prepared while we were enjoying our meal.

Authentic Turkish cuisine on London Road. Far more than just kebabs! A great selection of vegetarian meze dishes, grilled meats and pide (Turkish pizza). Tasty food, generous portions and friendly staff. Highly recommended!

Turkuaz Bar & Grill, Sheffield Dining room at Turkuaz Bar & Grill, Sheffield Cold meze dishes at Turkuaz Bar & Grill, Sheffield Kalamari at Turkuaz Bar & Grill, Sheffield

Instant Answers: Sheffield

Comments

Sheffield Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Sheffield restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sheffield sightseeing.