Sheffield Restaurants

by suvanki

Most Recent Restaurants in Sheffield

Ego Mediterranean Restaurant and Bar: Mediterranean Restaurant in city centre

by suvanki Written Oct 27, 2012

This was chosen for our recent 'Girls Night Out' after Rachel spotted it on her way to the Lyceum theatre.

Ego is in a great location, overlooking Tudor Square from its outside terrace, or into the award winning Winter Garden. It is part of the Mercure St Pauls Hotel and Spa, which overlooks the Peace Gardens.

Well it was a chilly October night when we ate here, so we didn't hang around outside, but the illuminated Tudor Square and the library looked stunning.

I was the first to arrive, and was met by a friendly waitress who showed me to our table, where menus were set out - so I had something to look at while waiting for the others. The restaurant had a pleasant atmosphere and was filling up with couples and groups of friends. Modern decor with plenty of glass, chrome and slate, which blends in with the Winter Garden. Tables are arranged so that you're not overlooking your neighbours too much.
    The others arrived and we had quite a wait before the waiter came to take our drinks orders - two of our group hadn't been able to make it , and the staff were waiting for them to arrive.
    We chose a bottle of one of their house reds to share between 4, while Michelle opted for a rose.

A good choice of starters, mains, sharing platters, pizzas etc from the menu, with a specials board (2 main choices) Greek, Spanish, Italian and Moroccan influences with meat, fish and vegetarian choices - see website for menus.

There were certainly some delicious aromas wafting around the restaurant.

We finally made our choices of starters and mains. Tina and Michelle were looking forward to sardines, but the waiter returned and apologetically explained that these were now off the menu.

One of the staff asked if seeing as two of our party hadn't turned up, could they remove the two end settings to make another table up. This was no problem as we still had plenty of room, but a complimentary bottle of wine appeared on our table!!

Our starters arrived, which we all enjoyed, then there was another wait for our main courses. Again we enjoyed our food, and we emptied our plates.

We didn't have room for desserts, but perused the menu, which made me wish that I wasn't so full. Instead we opted for coffees.

All in all a pleasant evening - nice atmosphere, comfortable fixtures and fittings. The service was friendly and polite, but the wait for drinks and between courses was a bit slow - It wasn't a problem for us as we were enjoying 'catching up', but its location in Sheffields' 'Theatreland' might mean that some diners would be eating prior to a show.

We were given Ego Club cards to complete, which entitles us to Special offers. This is one of a small chain, with restaurants (apart from Sheffield and Liverpool) in some of the lesser known towns of England -(Bramhall, Heswall, Kenilworth, Lychfield, Lytham and Stockton Heath)

We're still hoping to find a replacement for our favourite Bar&Grill which unexpectedly closed down earlier this year - Ego doesn't match up to the high standards of B&G, but I'm sure that We'll eat here again.

With a starter, main and coffees each plus wine and tip, we paid £32 each.

Favorite Dish: For my starter I chose the Grilled goats cheese on toasted brioche (with aged balsamic vinegar,caramelised red onion and apple and cranberry chutney),(pic 2) which was pleasant enough, though when I spotted the Beer battered tiger prawns that some of the others were enjoying, I was a bit envious!

For my main, I opted for the pan roasted rump lamb, sliced and served pink on a bed of minted pea risotto with a rosemary red wine jus.(pic 3)
    I like my lamb served pink, but found it quite difficult to cut, and had to ask for a steak knife.

Vegetables are ordered separately, so we chose a mixed salad, brocolli and chips (fries), which came in a miniature 'chip pan basket'(pic 4)
    The others chose the belly pork and the Sea Bass, which they enjoyed.

Ego Mediterranean Restaurant My goats cheese starter My lamb main course Chips?

Whitbys: Fish and Chip Restaurant

by suvanki Written Oct 27, 2012

Well technically Whitbys is in Rotherham and not Sheffield, but I'll keep it in Sheffield for now - It's only 4 miles from Sheffield city centre

"A taste of the seaside on your doorstep" is their slogan! Well it may be nearly on my doorstep, but Catcliffe is at least a 2 hour drive from the East Coast.

I found about this place through an article in The Star -our local newspaper. Well, we had to give it a try out!

Our local fish and chip shop is somewhere that I avoid, after some truly appalling 'take aways' - packs of bargain frozen fish fillets devoid of flavour, and staff who have little interest in the craft of creating this most traditional of British dishes. Also, it's not the cheap meal that it once was, so a fish and chip supper is a rare treat.
    Growing up in the 60's/70's I remember Fish and Chip restaurants, which were often up stairs or behind the Take Away counter. Formica tables with a salt shaker and glass vinegar bottle with a hole to shake/spray the malt vinegar onto your fish and chips. Nothing stronger than tea or fruit squash to wash it down with.
    Take Aways were placed on grease proof paper, sprinkled with salt and vinegar to your preferred ratio, then wrapped tightly in newspaper, or left open to eat on the way home with a wooden fork - a treat being added 'scraps' - the small crunchy pieces of batter that were drained from the oil . Mushy peas, baked beans, curry sauce being additions. Large jars of pickled onions and Pickled eggs were usually seen on the counter to purchase.
    Sadly many of these restaurants closed or diversified into a hotch potch of cuisines - mainly kebabs.

So, not long after Whitbys had opened, we decided to eat there.
    Early Friday evening, Phil and I managed to get there just in time - it was quite full already, and a short while later it was packed. The restaurant seats 160 diners.

We were surprised that it's so popular as it's 'Off the beaten path' It's near Morrisons Supermarket, and from the road it looks like a modern office building. I'd only been aware of it through the aforementioned article. I'd not seen any flyers about it opening. There must be a good 'Bush Telegraph' in Catcliffe!

We parked up in the large car park and entered this newly built restaurant. As the article had noted, the decor has no hint of it being a Fish restaurant. or having anything to do with Whitby, (the east coast resort noted for its traditional Fish and Chip restaurants such as The Magpie and Trenchers (where some of the staff were 'head hunted' from)

We were seated at a table for two, in a row of identical tables. These are quite close together, so you are privy to your neighbours (and their neighbours conversations/ arguements/' phone conversations) So, not the most relaxing of experiences!

The menu was quite limited, but that suited us fine - Battered cod, chips, mushy peas with sliced white bread and butter and a pot of tea were what we'd gone there for. The restaurant is fully licensed - but I'm afraid that I can't bring myself to eat this traditional meal with a cold drink.

Our order was taken quite briskly, and relayed into the waitresses hand held 'computer'.
    My seat was facing away from the restaurant, so not the best 'people watching spot' and it was difficult to avoid eye contact with my neighbouring diners, who were in the middle of a bickering session. There was a mix of clientele - men in work overalls, families, couples and groups of friends.

A Taste of The Sea? Well not for a minute did I forget that I was in Rotherham and Imagine that I was in one of our seaside resorts ....... but it's good to have a Fish and Chip restaurant nearly on my doorstep
    You pay at the desk in the foyer on your way out.

Well the meal was OK, but the seating arrangements left a bit to be desired. There were tables that seated family groups etc, but it appeared that couples were banished to this area. So, it's not been a place that we've returned to.

However, after recently enjoying a weekend in Whitby, and eating some excellent Fish and Chips, with the smell of the sea air in our nostrils, I did get a craving for more, so headed for Whitbys, but this time to their adjacent Take Away for Cod, chips and mushy peas. Again, the fish is fried to order, so there was a wait. I was there mid afternoon mid-week, and was the only customer - later on and towards the weekend, I should imagine that there are large queues.There are six fryers apparently.

The fish and chips are served in cardboard boxes. My meal was still hot after the short drive home.
    If I hadn't been so impressed by my Fish and Chips at Whitby, I'd have been very pleased with these, but they weren't quite as good. No doubt the next time I fancy Fish and Chips, I'll head here!

Open Daily 11.30 - 21.00 hours (til 2200 Fri/Sat during July and August)

Disabled access throughout
    Gluten Free Batter available
    Fish can also be poached

Groups/coach parties catered for
    Childrens Menu available.

Favorite Dish: Our freshly fried (in beef dripping NOT oil) fish and chips arrived after an appropriate length of time, and were piping hot. The batter was crispy and the fish moist.

The tea was a bit stewed (left standing for a bit too long) but the home made tartare sauce was a nice accompaniment.. The mushy peas were okay.
    There are desserts on the menu, but we were too full.

Whitbys Take Away

La Mama: South American tapas on Abbeydale Road

by SWFC_Fan Written Oct 9, 2012

I shall begin this review by outlining my feelings towards tapas restaurants in the UK. My experience has generally been that tapas restaurants here charge much higher prices and serve smaller portions than their Spanish counterparts. Whereas we found ourselves paying two Euros for a plate of ham and cheese or fried shrimps in Malaga, we tend to find ourselves paying £5 or £6 for an equivalent dish in the UK. I have rarely visited a tapas restaurant in the UK and come away feeling that I had received good value for money.

We have eaten in several tapas restaurants in Sheffield. Both "Platillos" (in Leopold Square) and "Cubana" (on Trippet Lane) serve a large range of tasty tapas dishes. The food at both places is good, but I find myself mentally keeping tally of the bill as I eat as all those little dishes soon add up to an expensive meal! I find these types of restaurants are best visited as a large party, where dozens of dishes are shared by numerous people; it's a great way of sampling small portions of dishes that you might not otherwise order.

The best value tapas that we've eaten in Sheffield is at the "La Tasca" chain (which has branches on Ecclesall Road and in Meadowhall shopping mall). The food might not be as authentic as it is at Platillos or Cubana, but it's much better value in my opinion. We have particularly enjoyed eating there during their "Tapas for a Tenner" evenings where you can enjoy unlimited tapas for just £10 per person.

However, none of these restaurants come anywhere near to comparing with the tapas bars we visited in southern Spain, either in terms of food quality, value for money or atmosphere.

So, when we visited La Mama Latin Tapas Bar & Restaurant on Abbeydale Road one Wednesday evening in October 2012, it's fair to say that I had already built up a certain expectation; small portions and high prices.

The bill would be kept under control to some extent as several weeks earlier we had purchased a voucher from the "Living Social" website which entitled us to £20 worth of food for £9.

I read a number of reviews on Tripadvisor and local Sheffield forums prior to our visit and they were generally very positive. Many people commented on the authenticity of the food and, to my surprise, quite a few even commented on the large portions and value for money that was received. I also ascertained that La Mama is a South American (particularly Chilean) influenced restaurant rather than a Spanish one.

A board outside the restaurant advertised the fact that La Mama offer "Happy Hours" during the week, where you can enjoy 4 tapas dishes for £12 (Tuesday-Thursday 6pm-7:30pm and all evening on Mondays). As we arrived just before 7pm, I wondered if we'd be able to use our voucher in conjunction with this offer. It turns out that we couldn't. Nor could we use the voucher against any of the special combo meals that feature on the menu. That still left dozens of hot and cold tapas dishes and accompaniments that we could choose from.

When we phoned ahead to make the booking we were informed that a live music act would be performing from 7:30pm, so we expected it to be quite busy. However, when we arrived just before 7pm there were only two other diners there.

The restaurant's interior is fairly authentic. Ok, we didn't quite feel as though we were in Spain or South America, but at least they've made an effort. There are photos of South American sights on the walls, as well as castanets, a guitar and a large wooden wine barrel in a corner next to the bar.

We studied the drinks menu, which included a small selection of Chilean and Argentinian wines and a selection of cocktails such as Pisco Sour. A small board on the bar listed a handful of bottled beers that were available; including Cruzcampo (from Spain) and Brahma (from Brazil). With small bottles of beer costing £3.50 and cocktails costing over £6, we just ordered a couple of glasses of lemonade.

After much deliberation, we finally settled on a selection of 7 dishes between us.

Chile Prawns - Price: £6.20

A bowl of 9 prawns (each one about the same size as my thumb) cooked in oil with garlic and bird's eye chillies. The first mouthful took my breath away (thanks to the chillies!), but after the initial excitement, I found it to be a tasty, but not outstanding, dish. I enjoyed it, but I thought that it was very expensive for what it was.

Beef Empanadas - Price: £4.95

Two pastries filled with mildly spicy minced beef, onions and black olives. They were nice enough, but not remarkable.

Lamb Skewer - Price: £6.20

About four pieces of tender (and quite rare) lamb cooked on a skewer with mushrooms, onions and cherry tomatoes. Emma chose this dish, and consumed most of it, and found that the lamb was a little too rare for her liking. As with the prawns, we both thought that it was overpriced for what it was. There are restaurants where we can enjoy an entire main meal for that price, not a solitary skewer with a few small pieces of lamb on.

Hummus with Bread - Price: £2.95

A bowl of hummus topped with paprika and served with a not-very-generous three small pieces of bread.

Garlic Mushrooms - Price: ca. £4.00

A bowl containing around 10 mushrooms cooked in oil and garlic. Nice enough, but pretty standard fare.

"Berenjenas al Horno" - Price: ca. £4.00

A South American dish consisting of aubergine in a tomato sauce topped with melted cheese. It was tasty and was Emma's favourite dish of the evening.

Patatas Bravas - Price: £2.95

A reasonable sized bowl of potatoes in a spicy sauce. They were a little too spicy for Emma, but were some of the best patatas bravas I've tasted – they had a nice kick to them.

Other dishes on the menu included fried squid, octopus, sea bass, chorizo, chicken piri-piri, pork medallions, Spanish omelette, bread with olive oil, cheese filled empanadas and more substantial meals such as seafood paella and steaks.

During the course of our meal, the live music started. It was provided by a two piece jazz band called "Seven Shades" and included their take on a few recognisable songs such as "Blue Moon" and "Cry Me a River". Sadly, it largely fell on deaf ears. There were only two other tables occupied; both with small groups of females, and they were chatting amongst themselves rather than paying attention to the music.

We politely applauded each song as we enjoyed our post meal drinks. We had elected to have a look at the dessert menu, but the prices immediately put us off. So instead we just ordered hot drinks. Emma had a spicy chai latte (£2.00) and I had a Carajillo (£2.50); a shot of espresso coffee topped up with rum and foamy milk.

Overall conclusion...

We both agreed that the food was nice, but not spectacular, and that the prices were very steep given the fairly meagre portion sizes.

The food, the prices and the friendly staff reminded me a lot of Cubana. On a busier evening, perhaps the atmosphere would have too, but on this occasion it was far less lively than Cubana has ever been when we've visited.

We'd probably go back again, but if we did so it would be during one of the restaurant's Happy Hours. £3 per dish is probably what I'd consider a reasonable price.

I'm sorry to report that La Mama reinforced my feelings towards UK tapas restaurants. I'd give it 3 out of 5; 4 for the food, but only 2 for the value for money.

A good selection of South American influenced tapas dishes. The portions were too small and the prices too high for my liking. If we returned again, it would be during "Happy Hour" when the dishes are more reasonably priced.

La Mama tapas bar and restaurant, Sheffield Interior at La Mama tapas bar, Sheffield Lamb skewer at La Mama tapas bar, Sheffield Patatas bravas at La Mama tapas bar, Sheffield

Turkuaz Bar & Grill: Tasty Turkish food on London Road

by SWFC_Fan Written Aug 22, 2012

My girlfriend and I had lunch at Turkuaz Bar & Grill Turkish restaurant one Sunday afternoon in August 2012.

The restaurant had only been open for around 6 weeks and we had taken advantage of a Groupon offer; 10 meze dishes for 2 people for £14. We were able to choose 3 cold meze dishes and 2 hot meze dishes each.

Turkuaz is located on London Road, the heart of Sheffield's foreign cuisine scene, and just a few minutes walk from the city centre. It is situated above Ozmen International Food Centre; a supermarket that sells foodstuffs from all over the world, including many Turkish foods and drinks.

We made our way upstairs, past photos of Ephesus, Istanbul and other Turkish sights, to find a surprisingly large and bright dining room with freshly painted walls, dozens of neatly set tables and more photos of Turkey's most famous sights. The friendly young waitress showed us to a table by the window, overlooking bustling London Road below.

I had managed to have a quick look at the menu online prior to our visit and, although I didn't recognise many of the dishes by name, each one contained a detailed description of what it contained.

All of the cold meze options were vegetarian and the majority of them came with an accompaniment of freshly baked flat bread. Many of the hot meze dishes were also suitable for vegetarians, with a few meat options such as Kofte (minced lamb parcels), Arnavut Cigeri (lamb's liver) and Sucuk (grilled Turkish sausage). If we had been paying full price, the dishes ranged in price from £2.50 to £4 each.

Our waitress informed us that many of the people who came with a Groupon voucher found it best to treat the offer as a two course meal with the cold meze dishes followed by the hot meze dishes. The portions were fairly large and had all ten dishes arrived at once we would have been overwhelmed with food and not had enough room on our table to eat them comfortably.

We ordered 3 cold meze dishes each and shared them between us. I opted for:

Sarma - three vine leaves filled with rice, sundried tomato paste, herbs, spices and small berries. They were delicious and came with a helping of yoghurt dip.

Ezme – this was the only dish on the meze menu that had a small chilli next to it, indicating that it was spicy. It was described on the menu as a salad, but was more like a puree or a salsa. It contained various vegetables, chilli, lemon juice, olive oil and garlic and was an interesting blend of spiciness and coolness. This was my favourite of the cold starters and was ideal for dipping pieces of warm flat bread into.

Patlican Salatasi – pureed aubergine mixed with yoghurt, olive oil and garlic. This was a cool, largely yoghurt based dip which was an ideal contrast to the spicier Ezme. It too was ideal for dipping the flat bread into.

Emma opted for:

Humous – this was one of the few dishes on the meze menu that either of us recognised by name. A plateful of pureed chickpeas with tahini, olive oil, lemon and garlic.

Ispanak – "fresh baby spinach in creamy yoghurt with mint and a hint of garlic" is how the menu pretty accurately described it. The yoghurt was very cooling and the taste of mint was evident.

Saksuka – although this dish didn't have a chilli next to its description on the menu, it had a spiciness that wasn't far off that of the Ezme. The vegetables were more diced than pureed in this dish and included aubergine, fried potatoes and peppers in a spicy tomato based sauce. It was a little spicy for Emma, but I enjoyed it.

Just as we were finishing our selection of cold meze dishes, our waitress brought over our four hot dishes and cleared away the plates from the cold dishes.

Both Emma and I opted for:

Grilled Hellim - despite its slightly different name, we knew from the description on the menu ("chargrilled finest quality Cypriot cheese") that this was Halloumi. We both love this slightly salty cheese which has a rubbery texture when grilled. The portion size was generous and the cheese was every bit as tasty as we hoped it would be. It was accompanied by a few green salad leaves and herbs.

I opted for:

Kalamari – around seven squid rings fried in a delicate and crispy batter. The texture wasn't too rubbery and the batter was ideally light. They were served with tartare sauce, green salad leaves and slices of lemon and were very enjoyable.

Emma opted for:

Icli Kofte – a fried parcel of minced lamb, onions and bulgur served with sour cream and half of a giant tomato.

Throughout the course of our meal we received two baskets full of freshly baked Turkish flat bread and were told to ask for more as and when we required it. This was an ideal accompaniment for many of the dishes, especially the cold meze options which were largely dips and purees.

I enjoyed a couple of glasses of Turkish tea (strong tea served in traditional tea glasses with a couple of sugar cubes on the side) and Emma had a glass of mango juice and a glass of Turkish tea. We also received a jug of cold water with lemon slices in it. When we received the bill, we found that not only was the water complimentary but so too was the Turkish tea. With the Groupon voucher covering our food, the bill for our drinks was a measly £1.50 for Emma's mango juice. When the waiter brought our bill, he also brought with it two pieces of Turkish Delight for us. We left a decent tip; the food was delicious (we cleared every plate) and the service was friendly and efficient.

Emma and I agreed that we would return to Turkuaz again in future to sample the main courses. The kitchen has an open grill which can be seen from the dining room, so we were able to see a variety of kebabs and grilled meat dishes being prepared while we were enjoying our meal.

Authentic Turkish cuisine on London Road. Far more than just kebabs! A great selection of vegetarian meze dishes, grilled meats and pide (Turkish pizza). Tasty food, generous portions and friendly staff. Highly recommended!

Turkuaz Bar & Grill, Sheffield Dining room at Turkuaz Bar & Grill, Sheffield Cold meze dishes at Turkuaz Bar & Grill, Sheffield Kalamari at Turkuaz Bar & Grill, Sheffield

Feast: City Centre Cafe- Nostalgia and Great prices

by suvanki Updated Aug 11, 2012

Tummies rumbling while showing VTer Benson35 around Sheffield, we ended up in Chapel Walk, and chose this place to re-fuel due to reasonable prices and choice of menu.

Even before I'd chosen what to eat, I'd decided that I liked this place due to the 4 clocks on the wall -International hotels etc often have clocks set at local time, plus for eg London, Paris, New York, Tokyo etc

Here - Chapel Walk, LadysBridge, Oughtibridge, Greystones... All landmarks in Sheffield, so all set to same time!
    Then.. the wall of photos of Sheffield Legends - Sexy Rexy's, Sean Bean, Jessica Ennis, Human League, Hole in the Road, Miners Strike, Full Monty, Kes, etc etc etc.....

Prices are very reasonable, especially for a City Centre.
    The blackboards outside (pic 5) boasted 'Champagne at Lemonade prices' and coffee at 50% cheaper than $tarbuck$ and Co$ta-Lot!

I opted for a jacket (baked) potato, with butter, chilli and cheddar cheese, and a large cup of Earl Grey tea
    Hayley went for jacket potato, with no butter and a diet Coke
    This came to around £6

We sat at the bar on stools, and I enjoyed spotting the characters and places of Sheffield and nearby, while eating my delicious potato (pic 2)- Hot, well cooked and tasty.

Background music courtesy of U2 - would have expected Sheffield artists, but never mind - still my kind of music.

A selection of sandwiches, panninis, cakes, confectionery, hot and cold drinks etc to eat in or take away.

A selection of local free magazines/flyers.

Feast Feast - my lunch Feast - 'Wall of Fame' Feast - shop front Feast -
    • Study Abroad

Bar and Grill @ Leopold Square: Delicious food in relaxed atmosphere

by suvanki Updated Aug 7, 2012

UPDATE 06.08.12- STUNNED to hear that The Bar and Grill has closed down!!! Hoping this is just a temporary thing - will have to find out more

07-08-12 GUTTED! Both me and the building!.... passed by today, and saw that the inside has been cleared out - Woe is Me..... I need my steak and chips fix!

Hmmm.. will move to my 'Gone but Not Forgotten' Travelogue soon..... after a respectable period of mourning.... RIP Bar and Grill.

This is one of Sheffields newer restaurants (it opened in November 2010) located in trendy Leopold Square.

I ate here for the first time with 'our gang' to celebrate Tina and Michelles Birthday, and was very impressed. I've now eaten here on numerous occasions - both with 'the gang' and with Phil.

In January for my birthday with 'The Girls' - No contest... it had to be Bar and Grill!
    I'm on their mailing list, and had received a special voucher for my Birthday - bring 4 guests, and the Birthday celebrant eats free! (upto the value of £30)- of course, we just split the bill.

It's my favourite Sheffield restaurant at the moment - consistently good food and very good customer service!

Friendly professional staff, nice decor - minimal clean lines, with leather seating, low lighting and a central bar, and delicious food. Background music was a selection of rock tracks, including Bruce Springsteen! at 'just the right level' so that you could easily carry on a conversation.

On Saturday evenings there is live piano music advertised (though I've been twice on a Saturday night, and not heard a pianist - I've seen on the website that they are advertising for a pianist/musicians)

I enjoyed my first meal here so much, that I returned a few weeks later.
    Again, I thoroughly enjoyed my meal and the ambiance of the Bar and Grill.
    Yes, it's become a favourite of Phils too, and he's since brought friends here, who also rave about it.

The emphasis is on meat (mostly from local farms, and the beef is red tractor accredited) but there are also salads and fish dishes.
    An extensive wine list, plus beers, spirits, cocktails and soft drinks.

Opening hours
    11.00 - midnight daily with extended opening hours until 02.00 on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Special offers -Early Bird Meals (2 courses for £14 Mon-Fri to 1900 and all day Sunday), Ten Menu-A drink and 1 course for £10.
    15% off Voucher on website

Sunday - Roast Dinners
    Fridays - Fish and Chip Special

Favorite Dish: At my first visit, we shared a dish of olives. I enjoyed a starter of thai squid followed by 3 rack lamb served on Dauphinoise potatoes and cauliflower with a jus. I didn't have room for dessert, but managed a coffee. We also shared a couple of bottles of Pinot Sud

Two weeks later.... Again I opted for the lamb (£16.95), with seasonal vegetables (broccolli, green beans and peas ( £2.95), as did Phil.

I was looking forward to trying the cheeseboard, but then opted for the baked vanilla cheesecake with berry compote(£5.95). I also tried Phils lemon tart(£5.75), which was deliciously sharp and sweet equally.

Iced tap water and a bottle of Tempanillo (£13.95) washed the meal down.
    Total £65.45

3rd visit - I had Sirloin Steak (rare) which was so succulent and tasty! This came with chunky chips, grilled tomatoes and watercress . A choice of sauces - I opted for Bearnaise.
    For dessert I chose something that I'd not tried before - Eton Mess - the raspberries counteracted the sweetness of the meringue nicely.
    Phil enjoyed his Rib Eye Steak (medium) and chocolate brownie with Creme Anglaise.
    We shared a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon.

4th/5th/6th/7th Visit etc.... - I had Sirloin Steak (rare) with Bearnaise sauce, chunky chips, grilled tomatoes and watercress.
    Now this is a rarity... me choosing steak, and the same item time and time again....There are other choices on the menu that I'd be more than happy to try, but.....I've had (and still am having) serious cravings for this meal - I'm not a huge fan of chips, but these are 'off the scale of yumminess', and the steak is usually cooked to perfection - the grilled tomatoes and watercress just add the perfect touch of sweetness/pepperiness.

3 rack lamb - 1st visit Piano - Bar and Grill 3 rack lamb - 2nd visit Baked vanilla Cheesecake The bar - Bar and Grill

• suvanki's Profile Photo

The Street Food Chef- Mexican Canteen: "I've seen the future and it's wrapped in foil!"

by suvanki Updated Aug 3, 2012

I became aware of The Street Food Chef, through articles in local press/foodie blogs etc.
    They were getting rave reports, and awards.

Each time I passed by their premises on Pinstone Street, there was a long queue outside, the times when there wasn't, I'd either just eaten, or was in a rush to get somewhere.

During the recent Tramlines Festival, heading up Fargate, I realised that I was in Foodie Heaven, the smells wafting in the air, of various cuisines was indescribably delicious - and one of the stalls was ... The Street Food Chef! A small queue, but this was it-my chance to find out what was so good about their Mexican burritos.

£4.50 brought me a good sized (10") wheat flour tortilla wrapped around chicken mole, rice, re-fried beans, Montery Jack cheese and salsa. This was presented on a tray, with a handful of nachos and a dollop of sour cream. I was invited to help myself to sauces -3-5 chilli heat!. I went for the not so wimpish 3 chilli strength, and a spoonful of pickled chilli slices- yes, THEY were HOT!

I found a seat in the Peace Gardens to enjoy my lunch, while listening to the music from the stage.

As I prepared to tuck in, I hoped that this was going to be as good as 'the hype'. I've recently been very disappointed with at least one local multi award winning business in the city.

I was surprised that my burrito wasn't wrapped in the foil, that I'd seen them presented in previously.
    The "I've seen the future and it's wrapped in foil!" slogan made me smile (reminding me of Peter Kaye's "I've seen the future and it's garlic bread" )

Wowzer! From the first mouthful I was convinced, that any of their awards are well merited!!
    Hot (in temperature and spiciness) this burrito was crammed full of deliciousness .... chunks of tender chicken, complemented by the rice/beans/cheese combo.

Yes, I'll certainly be back for more!!!

Food is sourced locally, and is then prepared from scratch, with the burritos/tacos etc being cooked in front of the customer. All good healthy stuff!

Their first shop/bar is to be found on Pinstone Street - near the Peace Gardens. It is an open fronted shop

Open Mon-Fri 08.00 - 17.30 Sat. 09.00 - 17.30 Sun. 10.00 - 16.00

Their 2nd business has recently opened at 90 Arundel St S1 4RE, which is a bit off the beaten track. This provides an eat in/take out choice.
    Open daily 10.00 - 22.00

UPDATE- Feeling peckish on my way home from work, I went to the Arundel Street Street Food Chef. I chose the chicken mole burrito to take out (£3.45).
    I took a seat, and waited for my food to be cooked. Plenty of notices/flyers and local magazines to peruse.
    Arriving home after a short drive home, I devoured my burrito. It wasn't quite as good as my first one, but was still very tasty.

Mine All Mine!!!! Street Food Chef Arundel Street Street Food Chef Arundel Street Wrapped in foil! Street Food Chef Arundel Street

Wonder Kitchen: Wonderful Chinese Take Away

by suvanki Written Jul 14, 2012

I became aware of this gem, after reading an article in the local paper 'The Sheffield Star'

Well, Swallownest isn't far from my house, so I decided to give it a go!
    I can't remember how long it is since I last ate a Chinese Take-Away, but I know that the last time I had one from my local, it wasn't up to their usual standard.

Parking on the (busy) road outside.

Yes, it's a small place , but spotless, and without the stale food/oil smell that some Take Aways' have.

I had a quick look at the menu from outside - there was a good choice of Chinese dishes, with some Thai, Singapore and English choices too.

I finally chose the House Special Satay with fried rice, and took a seat. Unfortunately the counter was too high then for me to see over and watch the two chefs preparing the food.
    A selection of newspapers and magazines are available to read while you wait.

I'm not sure how it is at busy times, but the 2 chefs worked calmly together without speaking. The lady that had taken my order explained that they had taken over from the previous owners in November 2011.

Soon, my meal was ready, packed into plastic cartons (re-usable), and into a carrier bag along with 2 fortune cookies.

Well, I was very impressed with this Take Away and my meal. So much so that less than a week later, I was back here again!

This time, It was for a meal for Phil as well. A new notice in the window stated that they now did deliveries - £1 for every 3 miles I think.

This time, I only saw the 2 chefs - 1 had to take my order, cook my food and then take my money.

I think it's cash only here - certainly no cheques.

As our order came to over £10, we were entitled to a free bag of prawn crackers (The prawniest tasting crackers that I've tried)! No Fortune Cookies this time though.

Telephone Orders are welcome too, for collection later.

Open Tuesday- Sunday/Bank Holidays 17.00 - 23.00hrs
    Closed Mondays

Good Value for money, Great Food, Pleasant staff

Yes, I'll be back here again..... soon

The House Platter appetiser for 2 looks likely at some time - crispy seaweed, BBQ ribs, chicken rolls, prawn toast, chicken wings, Sweet and Sour sauce for £6.80! (July 2012)

Favorite Dish: I thoroughly enjoyed my House special Satay (£5)- very tasty, with a nice hint of heat. Plenty of (large) slices of beef, chicken and juicy prawns.

My second visit I had the House Special Curry (£4.80) with boiled rice - again, piping hot, even after a car journey home, and delicious - Not too hot (spice wise) to spoil the flavour of the meat and prawns - there was a delicate hint of one of the spices, that I couldn't decide what it was.
    My only criticism would be, that for me, there were too many onion slices.
    Phil had his favourite Chicken in Lemon Sauce (£4.60) and fried rice, which he really enjoyed - I had a piece too, and it was yummy!

Neither of us could quite clear our plates though - Yes, the portions are of a good size!

Wonder Kitchen Staff Wonder Kitchen menu

Shiraz: Iranian New Year Celebrations - Norooz

by suvanki Updated Jul 14, 2012

UPDATE- I think this is now called Caspian - I'm not sure if it's the same management etc - Will have to visit and find out!

-I wasn't aware that there was an Iranian restaurant in Sheffield, until one of my work colleagues mentioned that she was going to celebrate the Iranian New Year - Norooz, at this place.

As I was due to visit Iran soon, this was something that I was interested in joining in. My friends were interested too, so on 19th March, 7 of us sat down to enjoy a delicious meal in this friendly restaurant with a great atmosphere

Surprisingly for an Iranian restaurant, it is licensed, with a good selection of beers, wines and spirits.

We arrived for 20.30, just before the evenings entertainment - a belly dancer appeared.

There were a few Iranian groups eating, and some of the men and women joined in.

Sadly, my friends remembered that I'd taken Arabic Dance lessons, and embarrassed me into joining in - Hmmm - stone cold sober, and having the suppleness of a iron bar, it wasn't my better moment! I'll get them back one day! (I was surprised to see the Belly Dancer on ITV's 'Britains Got Talent 2008 a few months later- she made it through to the final, and stirred Simon Cowell!!)

A Great night out - just out of the city centre, so a nice change.
    Parking on nearby streets.
    Open 1700 -2330 daily except December 25th

Menu and Restaurant details

Favorite Dish: I thoroughly enjoyed my Cheld Khoresh Fesenjan, this was the dish I was looking forward to trying (mainly because it was chicken with pomegranate and walnuts ) - but as it was advertised as only being available Thurs/ Fri, I thought that I would have to order something else - but as it was Norooz, most of the specials, including the weekend specials such as fried Kingfish were available.

Apparently it is traditional to eat fish at Norooz

My meal came as a plate with basmati rice and salad garnish, and a hot dish of tender chicken pieces covered in a rich dark sauce. It was delicious - slightly sweet, from the pomegranate, but a bit of texture and nuttiness from the walnuts - I'm afraid that I couldn't finish my portion as I'd filled up with my starter - salad Shirazi - diced veg/salad in a vinegar dressing - a light starter, but there was delicious flat bread to dip into the dressing, and my friends were all saying 'try this' and giving me a taste of their starters, plus I ended up with a good portion of olives from one of my friends, who luckily doesn't like them!!

The Dolmeh - veg wrapped in vine leaves were very tasty!

Most unusual presentation was Patsy's Deezee - this came with a plate of rice, a hot dish of sauce, and a pot with a metal scoop, containing chick peas , lamb, and beans .
    Another traditional Persian dish. Our helpful friendly waitress instructed Patsy on how to mix the ingredients.

No room for deserts, but I had a tea, which came in an attractive pot, placed on a stand over a tea light - I'll be looking out for one similar to buy in Iran! (see pics below)

We all had a great night, and will no doubt be returning here soon!
    UPDATE - Organised a night out from work here for nearly 20 - again Great food, and I tried the Deezee which was delicious! This was after my trip to Iran - I was tempted to order a kebab for old times sake (if you check my Iran pages, you'll see that kebab and rice is the staple diet!) but chose the Deezee, as I never got to try it there.

Shiraz Restaurant - Norooz - Belly Dancer Shiraz Restaurant - Norooz - Belly Dancer Nooraz 7 S Shiraz - teapot Shiraz, my Gang!
    • Music

• Astraeus's Profile Photo

Gusto Italiano: Expensive lunch in a vibrant environment

by Astraeus Written Jun 6, 2012

WHIMSICALLY, my colleagues and I opted to treat ourselves to lunch at the new Gusto Italiano premises on Norfolk Row. Pleasant though it was, there was a sour taste left in our mouths when the bill arrived.

Inside, Gusto Italiano was teeming with life. The bar was busy with partners drinking their way to the bottom of large wine glasses. All of the tables were full of bustling parties of colleagues, friends and family members. Still we were greeted warmly and promptly and the waitress did her utmost to source us a table. Fortunately a couple departed as soon as we arrived and so we snagged the table just inside the door.

The service remained polite and attentive despite it being quite clear that demands were being placed on the waiting staff - they are a real credit to Gusto Italiano. We sat down with two bottles of still water and a lemonade and ordered three mozzarella and ham paninis as we were rushed to return to the office.

The paninis arrived and surprised. They were small, almost half of what you would expect of a panini. They were, however, absolutely delicious. The ham was meaty and the cheese was strong but not dominant. The crusty bread had a satisfying bite to it whilst remaining wonderfully soft and fluffy inside. It was as good as it gets for paninis. As well it should be.

For three of us to have a panini each with one non-alcoholic drink, the bill came to £26. Having become accustomed to exorbitant prices on recent trips to Sydney and Bruges, I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised by the price of dining in Sheffield. Not so at Gusto - this is an expensive lunch venue indeed. Pizzas and pastas were more reasonably-priced although that comment is passed without knowledge of the portion sizes.

Norfolk Row is beautiful. Its cobbled road and period buildings lend themselves perfectly to continental-style outdoors dining, especially with a warm sun beating down on the Row as it was on this fine March afternoon. Unfortunately it appears council guidelines preclude Gusto from expanding onto the roadside despite its ideal spot.

I would heartily recommend the restaurant. Its ambience, service and food rightly attract any number of plaudits. It is, however, an achievement which is reflected in the prices charged for dining at this fine Sheffield venue. This will not be the last time I visit Gusto Italiano and I can only hope my next visit truly blows me away.

The Milestone: Gastro pub - One of Sheffields best Restaurants

by suvanki Updated Apr 25, 2012

I first heard of The Milestone when my Father asked me where Green Lane was, as he'd read Jay Rayners glowing report of this place in The Observer magazine. Click here to read I got my A-Z out, and was still none the wiser - it was in the middle of no-where!
    I was intrigued by this place, especially when it featured in a TV programme 'Ramsay’s Best Restaurant' (which I didn't see), and won the title for Best British Restaurant. Click for more info
    So 4 years after it opened, I finally got the chance to eat here. It was a special occasion, so I was looking forward to the evening.

Well it's not on the main bus route etc - We caught a bus into town, then walked for about 10 minutes. (The nearest tram stop is Shalesmoor)

We arrived earlier than our booked time, so were directed to the bar by the friendly 'greeter' I chose a glass of Pinot Grigio, while Phil selected a pint of Starpropamen lager. We had time to chat and observe the other diners, and their enticing meals. I also noticed that they had published a hardback recipe book - 'First Catch Your Pig' - The Milestone actually rear their own rare-breed pigs, as well as making their own bread, ice cream, desserts and pickles etc.
    I like their idea of purchasing their vegetables etc from allotment owners in the city - a bartering systym operates, with meals/drinks/gift vouchers in exchange for produce!

The Milestone was much smaller than I'd initially imagined it to be, but it didn't feel uncomfortably overcrowded. The (listed) building was originally built in 1833 as The Ball Inn.

It wasn't too long though, before we were shown to our table, and shown the extensive drinks menu - the waiter helped us select our wine (suggestions for wine to accompany individual dishes are printed on the menu).

The menu featured dishes of offal - as this was being promoted that week, so I enjoyed the chance to try something new -sweetbreads. While we perused the menu, we nibbled on olives and their delicious home made bread

I enjoyed the buzz of this place, and marvelled at the way the staff manouvered around the tables and up and down the narrow stairs to and from the kitchen.

Later, I paid a visit to the WC, which is up stairs, and you pass through the kitchen - again, I was surprised how small it was, and amazed that so many dishes could come from this space. It was quite an experience to glimpse the chefs and kitchen staff in action too.

All in All, we thoroughly enjoyed our evening - Delicious imaginative food, excellent customer service and a lovely atmosphere. We'll certainly be back here again.

We rounded the evening off with a pint at the nearby Kelham Island Tavern.
    Kelham Island is quickly becoming one of my favourite areas of Sheffield, with its Real Ale pubs, museum and riverside walk.

Since our visit, another Milestone Restaurant has opened in the former Wig and Pen - in Sheffields 'Legal Quarter' on Campo Lane.

The Milestone also offer weekend Cookery Courses - see their website for details.

Opening Hours
    11am - 11:30pm Mon - Sat
    11am - 11:00pm Sunday

Food served
    12pm-4pm, 5pm-10pm Mon-Fri
    11am-4pm, 5pm-10pm Sat
    11am-4pm, 5pm-9pm Sun

Looking forward to eating here again Very soon for our Anniversary Meal!!

Favorite Dish: Delicious Home baked bread, butter and marinated olives, while we perused the menu

My starter -sweetbreads with battered cod and pickle mayonnaise
    His starter - Kidney suet pudding with a pea and thyme sauce

My Main- Sea Bass, squid crab dumplings and shellfish broth
    His starter - Corn fed Chicken breast with rosemary roasted potatoes and blue cheese pine nut and watercress salad

My dessert - lemon plate - a trio of lemon desserts - posset, cheesecake and a pastry with a bitter lemon 'jelly'
    His dessert- Ginger cake with plums

Sweetbreads battered cod cheeks and pickle mayo Sea bass squid crab dumplings lemon plate ginger cake Main Courses Menu
    • Beer Tasting

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Silversmiths: Silver - tarnished!!!

by suvanki Updated Mar 10, 2012

Oh, I was so looking forward to eating here, and had wanted to do since first hearing of it back in 2008. For anyone that doesn't know, this was one of the restaurants 'rescued ' by celebrity chef Gordon Ramsey in the TV series 'Kitchen Nightmares'.

Located in a former cutlery works, on a side street between Hallam University and Sheffield train station, this is slightly off the beaten track.

So, 'Runaway Girl' was tamed and given a make-over.
    The Image - emphasising the buildings previous use/Sheffield Silver - Keeping the original facade, incorporating silver hallmarks into their logo, using Sheffield produced cutlery
    Promote Locally sourced food and suppliers. Seasonally available food - therefore menus change daily to reflect the best produce available that day.

Special nights
    -Tuesday is Pie Night - a choice of 4 pies served with chips or mashed potato and mushy peas.
    - Wednesday and Thursday - Chefs Specials 2 Courses £14 or 3 Courses £16
    -Friday and Saturday - Early Bird Menu 17.00-19.00 2 Courses £14 3 Courses £16
    Pre and Post Theatre menus - Silvermiths is a 5 minute walk from Sheffields own 'Theatreland' (2 minutes from The Showroom Cinema)

I eagerly signed onto their mailing list by e-mail, which entitled me to a 40% discount! I didn't receive the voucher, but receive regular updates about their offers. I did receive a 40% off voucher from their stall at the 2011 Tramlines Festival though.

For one reason or another, it wasn't until this year, that I finally got to eat here. I booked a table for two before Christmas, for my Birthday in January. The girl who took my booking was very pleasant, and confirmed that I could use my discount voucher.

Before my birthday, I received one of the usual 'special offer' notifications - They had been closed for a refurb, (re-opening on 6th January) and to celebrate, anyone booking before a certain date (after my Birthday), was entitled to a complimentary glass of champagne on arrival.
    I 'phoned to confirm my booking and enquired if we would be entitled to the complimentary glass of fizz. The girl was quite abrupt and stated 'this for new bookings only' Hmmmm - not bothered about not qualifying for the freebie, but her attitude was quite unexpected.

Walking to the restaurant had been a pleasant experience, crossing Tudor Square, with its lighting effects, then down the re-vamped Howard Street, part of the regenerated 'Gold Walk', had put us in a great mood, and arrived at the restaurant in eager anticipation of a romantic meal for two.

Well, the first thing that struck us was the noise! A post-Christmas office party was in full swing. We waited quite a while, before a waiter showed us to our table - on a platform, adjacent to this party. We were then brought menus - a nice touch - the daily menu typed on brown paper, held with a bulldog clip - which I quite liked, until I saw that this was spattered with food stains.

A pleasant waitress took our orders - and I mentioned that I had a discount voucher, which she took.

A waiter took our wine order, then another member of staff appeared - I guess she was 'front of house' She stated that they didn't give 40% discount and that this was just for the summer, but they were offereing 20% discount now. I pointed out that when I booked, I had said that I had a 40% discount card and that the girl I spoke to said this was fine. Her immediate retort was 'Oh well She was wrong' I also said that there was no expiry date on the voucher, to which she muttered 'I'll have to 'phone Donna' and stomped off!!!! I guessed Donna was one of the owners.
    Blimey!

So, we ate our meal - starter and main -we had to purchase vegetables as an extra! WE had room for dessert, which isn't normally the case, but weren't in the mood for dessert by this time.

We sat for quite a while waiting for the bill, in the end I had to go and ask for it.

Our pleasant waitress (the only member of staff that I saw smile that night) came to ask if our meal had been OK - We'd both commented earlier that our different main dishes had been quite salty.

As she'd asked, I mentioned the saltiness of the meal, she offered to speak to the chef, I told her that this wasn't a complaint, we'd both finished our meals and wouldn't have mentioned it if she hadn't asked.

She duly returned to say that the chef hadn't added any salt, as he left customers to season their own food - well OK, but it was salty! We thanked her anyway.

Our bill finally arrived, 'presented' by 'Madame front of House' who ungraciously pointed out that she'd given us a 20% discount, and asked if our meal had been OK - I repeated my comment re. the saltiness, and that our waitress had asked and had dealt with it satisfactorily.
    Her -I'll speak to the chef
    Me- no need it's already been dealt with, it's not a complaint
    Her -I'll speak to the chef .....and she flounced off...

a few minutes later she returned

Her - Chef says ... he doesn't add any extra salt, he leaves it to the customer to add their own
    Me - I know, Thanks!

We paid and left!!!

So.... Not the night I was looking forward to...

I returned to work next day, and everyone was asking about my night, knowing how much I'd been looking forward to it.

I then found out that some of their friends had been and had a similar experience, but knew I was looking forward to my Birthday, so hadn't said anything.

Would I eat there again? Probably not
    Would I recommend it? I'd give an honest account of our experience and leave it up to them to decide.

It would be charitable to say that 'perhaps this was a bad night' but, they'd only been open a week after their refurb/2 week break. The staff all seemed 'battle weary' - perhaps you fare better if there is a Celebrity in the house - Silversmiths certainly have an eye for promoting 'famous diners' ie Katie Perry! and their many local and national awards - From now on , I'll take these with 'a pinch of salt' - Chef says I'm allowed to add my own, and I'm sure this will be confirmed!

Favorite Dish: We enjoyed our meal, but it wasn't outstanding
    The menu changes here daily, so I understand, so perhaps it's not so important to itemise what we ate, because it might not be repeated if you eat here.

Our 2 course meal of starters and mains £14 each

• Beer Tasting

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

Zooby's Sandwich Deli & Coffee Bar: Cheap Filter Coffee

by spidermiss Updated Sep 16, 2011

In between sightseeing, Sue (Suvanki) and I stopped here for a coffee. It was the cheapest filter coffee (1.25 gbp (August 2011) I paid for quite a long time. The takeaway cafe serves fair trade coffees, teas and hot chocolate alongside confectionery and sandwiches.

Zooby's Sandwich Deli & Coffee Bar Zooby's Sandwich Deli & Coffee Bar

Edo Sushi: Takeaway sushi in Sheffield city centre

by SWFC_Fan Written Sep 12, 2011

We first discovered Edo Sushi during Sheffield Food Festival in July 2011.

As we wandered around the "Eat the World" global food stalls in the Peace Gardens we happened upon their stall and paid a few pounds for cups of their thin noodles and vegetables. We also picked up a flier which showed us where they were located, but to be honest even with the address and a map we were none the wiser as to where they were based! Neither of us had heard of Highcourt Chambers and it doesn't seem to appear on any maps. In fact, it is located quite centrally, just off High Street albeit tucked away on a narrow passageway behind Pizza Hut and The Bankers Draft pub.

One Saturday afternoon in September 2011, we saw advertising boards positioned on High Street that were promoting Edo Sushi's lunchtime menu, so we ventured down the passageway and gave them a try.

The lunchtime menu is rotated frequently, with a selection of main courses accompanied by a choice of green tea or miso soup for £4.50.

On the day that we visited, the lunchtime options consisted of a sushi box, chicken curry with rice, coated chicken with rice and a flying fish and rice combination. The staff also informed us that the gyosa were on special offer that day (6 pieces containing either vegetables or meat and accompanied by rice for £4.50).

I opted for:

Edo Sushi Box

1 x salmon nigiri (rice topped with a good sized piece of fresh Scottish salmon), 2 x prawn nigiri (similar to the salmon nigiri, but with boiled prawns on top) and 6 x Typhoon rolls. The staff explained to me that Typhoon rolls were rolls of rice filled with salmon, tempura batter and a mayonnaise with a hint of chilli). All of the sushi sold at Edo Sushi is freshly prepared on the day; it tasted wonderful and I was particularly impressed with the tasty Typhoon rolls. The sushi was accompanied by a few lettuce leaves and sachets of soy sauce and, my particular favourite, hot wasabi paste.

Chicken Kara-age Rice

Coated deep fried chicken served on a bed of rice with a sweet chilli mayonnaise and small side salad.

We both opted for green tea rather than miso soup and received polystyrene cups with tea bags in.

There are no tables or chairs for eating in at Edo Sushi (you can either take it away or opt for their home delivery service), so we took our lunches to a nearby bench on Fargate and tucked in with the wooden chopsticks that were provided.

As well as the lunchtime menu, Edo Sushi offers a large choice of sushi and uramaki (rice rolls with various fillings), as well as other Japenese dishes such as chicken terayaki, ton-katsu pork curry, vegetable tempura and rice and noodle dishes.

The location of Edo Sushi means that you are unlikely to stumble across it. I suspect that much of their custom comes from city centre workers who have discovered it and return often for their lunches. I hope it does a roaring trade during the week as the fresh sushi is delicious and pretty good value for money.

Delicious fresh sushi in the city centre. Good value lunchtime menu. Recommended!

Edo Sushi Box Edo Sushi, Sheffield Chicken Kara-age Rice from Edo Sushi, Sheffield

Sushi Express: Good value Japanese lunches

by SWFC_Fan Written Aug 14, 2011

My girlfriend and I first ate at Sushi Express one Saturday lunchtime in February 2011.

This Japanese restaurant/take-away/food store is tucked away on the ground floor of an apartment block on Milton Street in the city centre. It is pretty well hidden and I'm sure there are a good many Sheffielders who still don't know that it exists. Despite being well hidden, it is actually very centrally located – just a few minutes walk down Fitzwilliam Street from the popular student areas of West Street and Devonshire Green.

Having spotted Sushi Express almost by accident while walking past one day, we Googled the name and found that they offer an excellent value lunch menu for just £4.90 per person. We decided to give it a try!

There are 6 set meals to choose from on the lunch menu; each one served with a choice of salad or miso soup:

Set A: Japanese Char Siu Noodle
    Set B: Sushi
    Set C: Katsu Curry Don (Pork/Chicken)
    Set D: House Special Cold Noodle
    Set E: Salmon Salad
    Set F: Assorted Skewer Don (Bacon and Salmon, Octopus, Chicken Wings, Beef)

Additionally, you can add various side dishes (dumplings, tempura, chicken skewers, fried tofu) to your meal for between £1 and £2 and drinks (green tea, coffee, various fruit and vegetable juices) for £1.

I opted for Set B: Sushi, which contained:

1 spicy salmon sushi: salmon, rice and a spicy mayonnaise wrapped in seaweed;
    1 tofu skin: a sweet tofu shell filled with rice;
    1 omelette sushi: a slice of cold, sweet omelette, on top of a bed of rice;
    1 prawn sushi: a large prawn on top of a bed of rice;
    6 x cucumber maki: cucumber and rice wrapped in seaweed.

The sushi was served with a portion of wasabi paste (a very strong tasting paste, with the same eye-watering properties that can be found in mustard) and a dish of soy sauce.

The meal also included a bowl of hot miso soup; a thin soup with tofu and green vegetables in it.

I'm no sushi expert, but the sushi at Sushi Express tasted fresh and flavoursome. It was certainly comparable to sushi that I have eaten elsewhere in Sheffield (e.g. Yo Sushi at Meadowhall and Sakushi on Campo Lane; each of which charge £3+ for a single sushi dish).

Emma opted for Set A: Japanese Char Siu Noodle:

This was a large bowl of soup (perhaps chicken flavoured) and filled with generous portions of roast pork, sweetcorn, tofu, boiled egg, vegetables and long noodles.

We shared a portion of Chicken Wings Skewers (£1.50):

Two skewers, each containing four chicken wings drizzled with teriyaki sauce.

We each had a pot of Green Tea (£1.00).

Overall, we both enjoyed our meals and felt that the lunch menu was good value for money.

As well as the restaurant, there is also a food store at the entrance to the dining area. You can purchase a variety of Japanese food and drinks (including noodles, Japanese rice crackers, wasabi peas and sake).

Good value Japanese lunches, including sushi, soup, salads, skewers, curries and noodles! Recommended!

Sushi Express, Sheffield Sushi Express lunch time menu Japanese Char Siu Noodle soup at Sushi Express Chicken Wings Skewers at Sushi Express, Sheffield Set B: Sushi at Sushi Express, Sheffield

Instant Answers: Sheffield

Comments

Sheffield Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Sheffield restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sheffield sightseeing.