Lowestoft Restaurants

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Sgt Peppers: Sounds of the 60's! - Themed Family Restaurant

by suvanki Updated Aug 15, 2011

Sgt Peppers Exterior

This place was recommended by the landlady of our B&B, and the builder/handyman who checked us in to the B&B. We were advised that there weren't too many good places to eat - Sgt Peppers and a couple of Indian restaurants appeared to be our only options. We were hoping to eat some local food, so had a walk into the town centre, in search of an alternative - Hmmmm .... We ended up in Sgt Peppers after all!
    A themed 60's Family Restaurant wasn't exactly 'up our street', and spotting items on the menu such as Voodoo Chilli and Lemon Chicken Shack soon had us considering returning to the B&B and sharing a left over ham roll from our lunch!)

Well we decided to give it a go, and did enjoy our meal. We were welcomed, and led to a table

There was a nice atmosphere, with a very mixed clientele/age range - Families, couples, Birthday parties etc.
    A large room, with dimmed lighting, and divided into smaller areas. 60's memorabilia - Musical instruments, black and white photos of '60's icons' (I ate my meal overlooked by Peter Sellers and opposite Harold Wilson and 'The Fab Four'!! Not surprisingly, the music was all from the 60's - heavily weighted by Beatles tracks!

The menu was quite extensive - The usual choices for 'a burger/diner' but all with titles relating to the 60's - some were very tenuous!

The cocktail list was similarly tweaked- Well you can play 'Guess the Cocktail' - from the names and ingredients -Waterloo Sunset (Tequilla Sunrise) etc.

Apparently This place has a sister, The Blue Boar, which is in nearby Oulton. This is a gastro-pub - A pity that there isn't a similar venue in Lowestoft - or if there is, we didn't find it.
    Although our meal had been enjoyable, we didn't really want to eat here again during our weekend break.

The next evening we ate a pleasant meal at our B&B, and the following day we had a large breakfast, then Fish and Chips in Aldeburgh, so didn't need to find somewhere to eat that evening.

Favorite Dish: I chose a 'Born in the USA'!! (I wonder why?!!) - Southern Comfort, American Dry and Limejuice, which arrived with a parasol and a fresh strawberry!(£5.50) Mr B. settled for a no nonsense pint of beer - no trimmings!

We decided to miss starters out (Normally my favourite part of a menu) and I'm pleased that we did, as the portions were so large, that I couldn't finish mine. I opted for a cajun chicken salad and jacket potato - (yes, going for the lower calorie option!) Mr B. had steak and chips. (Colonel Mustards Sirloin - £14.75)
    My salad came attractively served in a lettuce leaf bowl, with lots of chicken and a 'never ending' salad - the sort that the more you eat, there appears to be twice as much left to eat. The jacket potato was tasty enough not to need butter with it!

Well, there was no room for dessert - not even if we shared. I had a coffee, which was nice and smooth.

• black-saturn's Profile Photo

Norfolk Kitchen: For a good fry up come here

by black-saturn Written Mar 13, 2008

Don't expect anything posh. But the breakfast's here are lovely. You can have a large or small breakfast with bacon, sausage, beans, tomatos, toast/fried bread, bread and butter and egg. The milky coffee is also nice there. They also do other meals such as roast dinner, shepherds pie and lots of things with chips. Traditional home cooked English food.

Favorite Dish: All day breakfast.

• Seniors

• black-saturn's Profile Photo

Dolly's Diner: Another lovely roast dinner

by black-saturn Written Mar 13, 2008

This is a cafe/restaurant at the top of the main shopping street in Lowestoft called London Road North. Their roast dinners and all their other meals are really lovely. The service is friendly and the food is cooked well. It's £4.15 for a roast dinner but if you arn't too hungry you can ask for a half portion for half the price. I did this once and didn't notice much difference. You can choose from pork, beef, chicken or lamb and theres waitress service.

Favorite Dish: Roast dinner.

• Seniors

• kevin36's Profile Photo

"Howards Tea Rooms": Sunday Roast

by kevin36 Updated Jun 17, 2007

One of my favorites for a Sunday lunch, don't expect posh ,but do expect "Good Food", this is the place to go for value for money, the service is good and the readiness of the food fairly quick and the food is very good.
    You are always welcomed as you arrive by either Howard or one of his staff.
    The seating is comfortable and the place is kept is kept clean.
    Definitely a place worth trying, and £4:25 for a Sunday roast with three veg roast potatoes and gravy is very good value for money.

Favorite Dish: "Roast Beef" Cooked to perfection nice and tender,the vegetables are fresh not out of a tin with roast potatoes and gravy very tasty.
    I really cant fault it for the price.

• kevin36's Profile Photo

Thatched Restaurant: Lunch

by kevin36 Updated Apr 30, 2006

Thatched Restaurant

This Restaurant is situated on the green at the seafront promenade and is in a nice location with a nice ambience.
    Servis is good and prompt and the food is prepared nicely.
    Value for money is very good.
    Approx 200yds away is Capt Nemos cafe on the pier,howeverI found it expensive and not so good value for money,but thats just my opinion.

Favorite Dish: Sunday roast, nothing overboard about it ,just nicely prepared and good servis.

Instant Answers: Lowestoft

Comments

Lowestoft Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Lowestoft restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lowestoft sightseeing.