Woodbridge Off The Beaten Path

• MikeBird's Profile Photo

Track down your ancestors

by MikeBird Written Oct 31, 2008

The renovated Forge

My great uncle was a Blacksmith who lived in a small, 2 up and 2 down, cottage with his forge set alongside his house which was down a country lane. I visited it when I was a small boy ( about 45 years ago) and could remember the overhead power cables and the neighbouring thatched house.
    I remembered the name of the village and so we set off to see if we could find it.
    The electricity pylons were the best clue; the thatched house next door and then the name on the small, but now extended cottage, was enough to settle it. We had found my great uncle's old forge.
    The current owner wasn't in but I'd have enjoyed telling them about my great uncle and how the forge was like a treasure trove of old bits of wrought iron. The hearth was set in the middle of the forge and his anvil next to it. It was good to see that despite the renovations the new owners had retained the hearth as a feature fireplace - but I wonder what they did with the old iron work?
    It was great to have re-discovered the old forge clearly serving a new purpose but being functional and part of the local community.

• visited and guided around Woodbridge mill

by baphoon Written Aug 22, 2006

This is something that i took my then 12 and 14 year old children to while visiting childhood memories, and can only say when the guide retires, it will be a terrible shame. To visit and be guided around the mill was a total enthralling experience for all three of us and should be advised to all. We learnt lots and experienced a powerful tour (even when nervous on the origonal floor board 3/4 flights up!! recommended by myself and the bairns...... a must do!

• joanj's Profile Photo

see an 18th Century windmill

by joanj Updated May 24, 2006

Saxted Green Windmill

not far from Woodbridge is the 18th Century Saxted Green Windmill.

It was the earliest of this type of mill built in this country. It has four sails with a span of 54ft, and consists of a brick roundhouse situated below a three storey wooden "buck".

Open Easter to September, Monday to Saturday 10am. - 1pm. and 2pm - 6pm

Instant Answers: Woodbridge

Comments

Woodbridge Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Woodbridge off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Woodbridge sightseeing.