Stratford-upon-Avon Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Stratford-upon-Avon

Rooftop Restaurant: Dining at the RSC

by SallyM Written Jun 22, 2014
    Parma Ham and Fig Salad

This restaurant is obviously ideal for pre-theatre dining if you are visiting the Royal Shakespeare Theatre or the Swan, as they are geared to feeding you in time for the performance. We didn't get much of a view from our table, despite the rooftop location, although we did admire the view on our way out to the lift to the foyer. (There are two lifts - one opens almost directly into the restaurant, the other is at the other end of a short corridor).

I had parma ham and fig salad, followed by roast cod with proscuitto on peas and broad beans. The salad was quite nice, though the dressing was a bit sweet. It was a lovely piece of cod, but could have been slightly warmer.

My husband chose mackerel and crayfish croquette with grape chutney, followed lamb with ratatouille, and a lemon curd tart with Italian meringue, which came with raspberry sorbet.

At £19.50 for two courses, £24.50 for three, it was fairly standard fare in terms of price and quality.

Lambs of Sheep Street: Good for pre-theatre

by SallyM Written Jun 1, 2014
    Lambs of Sheep Street

Lambs is one of a number of restaurants in Sheep Street offering a pre-theatre set menu as well as a la carte. Two courses are £13.50, three courses are £17.00. Bread is included.

We opted for the set menu. I had grilled halloumi, followed by salmon fishcakes with sorrel sauce and wilted spinach. My husband had grilled mackerel, followed by Cajun swordfish.

Service was efficient. They are used to dealing with pre-theatre customers who need to be served promptly. The staff were also friendly and helpful. A couple came in who were looking for a vegetarian and gluten free option, and the staff were able to offer an alternative to the standard vegetarian dish of the day, which was pasta.

Favorite Dish: The grilled halloumi was really tasty. My husband went off the set menu for a dessert, and chose sticky toffee pudding, which was also very good.

The Fourteas Tea Room: A Forties experience

by SallyM Updated Jun 1, 2014
    The Fourteas, Stratford

The Fourteas is a Forties-themed tea room ('four teas'/'Forties', get it?). The waiting staff are in costume, the menu looks like a ration book, and Forties music is playing in the background. More to the point, they serve proper leaf tea, in teapots, just like they did in the Forties.

Well, not exactly. I'm fairly sure that the snazzy infusers that clip inside the pots are a modern development and that a genuine Forties tea room would have had tea strainers. It would certainly have provided jugs of extra hot water for topping up the pot, and the staff would not have found it necessary to explain that leaf tea needs to brew and to provide an egg-timer so that customers would know when their brew was ready. However, it was a good cup of tea, and the cups are the traditional 'Beryl' pattern, that everyone's mum or grandma used to own.

Favorite Dish: I only wanted a cup of tea, but my husband decided to have the 'Noel Coward' - a decidedly inauthentic hot chocolate topped with whipped cream and marshmallows served in a mug with a Union Flag on it. They definitely didn't have those when food was rationed!

There were some tasty-looking cakes at the counter which we didn't sample. They also serve set afternoon teas. The 'Ivor Novello' costs £12.50 for sandwich, scone with jam and cream and selection of small cakes, plus a pot of house tea. Maybe next time...?

• grayfo's Profile Photo

Red Lion: Table Table

by grayfo Written Mar 19, 2014

Popular restaurant that operates under the Table Table chain belonging to the Premier Inn Stable, although the pub is centrally located in the heart of the tourist area they always seem to have lots of promotions on offer. The pub has a cosy atmosphere and is also great for afternoon tea either inside or in the adjoining garden.

The restaurant is very popular and you may have a long wait during the tourist season.
    Monday to Saturday: 12:00 pm to 11:00 pm
    Sunday: 12:00 pm to 10:30 pm

May 2013

Favorite Dish: Gammon Steak – £5.99

Lager Shandy - £3.10

• littlebush's Profile Photo

Garrick Inn & Others: Great food

by littlebush Written Apr 28, 2013

I've eaten at these places:

-The Garrick Inn, i've had a roast in here plus lunch. Its a very old place and friendly service and great food.
    -The One Elm - recommended to me by some locals this place is great. My wife and i shared a cold meat platter follwed by chicken skewers and lamb steak. Absolutely divine. With a pint and a rose wine the bill was £50.
    -The riverside cafe was nice for a good hot chocolate.

• balhannah's Profile Photo

ROSE & CROWN INN: REASONABLY PRICED

by balhannah Written Jan 26, 2012

Really, in Stratford Upon Avon, there is a huge choice of place's for meal's.
    We wandered around away from the main tourist area, and found the Rose & Crown which had a blackboard outside.
    On reading, there was plenty of choice, price's were reasonable, and it was an old Tudor Inn with plenty of character, I really had all I wanted.

Inside we went and took a window seat. I can't remember what we ordered, but I do know, we were both happy with our meal and would return.

Another plus, was the Inn was steeped in history!
    The pub was built in 1596 and named the Rose & Crown in 1858.

Good Pub Food served from a main menu, daily Specials board. Sunday Roast.

MEAL TIMES.....Daily 12noon - 9pm.

• tango_jd's Profile Photo

BHS: Tea and Coffee stop-off

by tango_jd Updated Apr 19, 2011

BHS department store opposite and overlooking the canal basin and riverside park - on the corner of the shopping area.
    The first floor restaurant serves simple hot meals, sandwiches and snacks and tea/coffee.
    Nothing remarkable about the food but the position, overlooking the river, parkland, Shakespear Theatre and Avon Bridge is one of the best in Stratford.
    It is certainly worth getting a window seat and enjoying a leisurely tea or coffee here and it is very reasonably priced!

Favorite Dish: Tea and Coffee - with a view!

• grayfo's Profile Photo

The Posh Corner Shop: Danish or Italian?

by grayfo Updated Apr 4, 2011

Set in a quiet street off the main town centre, the Posh Corner Shop offers the best Italian coffees and freshest Danish pastries in town.

The light lunch menu offers freshly prepared salads, toasted sandwiches and freshly made soup of the day which contains seasonal and locally sourced produce.

Monday to Saturdays: 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
    Sundays: 10:00 am to 4:00 pm

email info@poshcornershop.co.uk

Favorite Dish: My favourite is the Scotch eggs of which they have 3 types.

• Russons Restaurant: Fantastic Food, Excellent Service!

by Mikejones87 Updated Apr 4, 2011
    Restaurant Floor

Russons Restaurant is a family run restaurant, serving British Modern cuisine. As the theatre is a short stroll away, this is a great place for a pre-show meal. The restaurant is housed in a 16th century building and the two simply-furnished dining rooms both feature inglenook fireplaces. The menu changes regulary to reflect the availability of seasonal ingredients. Fresh fish & seafood is the specialty here, with different choices every day.

We had an excellent meal and will definitely be back.

• Business Travel

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

The Cottage Tea Garden: It fills the gap!

by Jenniflower Updated Apr 4, 2011

There is a lovely tea garden across the road from Anne Hathaway’s Cottage where you can enjoy a good cup of tea and delicious homemade scones.

There is a river running through the property with ducks and a couple geese - this area is called Shottery Brook Walk.

It is quite nice to come here after spending some time viewing the cottage, and whilst waiting for the bus (sightseeing bus), which will then take you on to Mary Arden’s House (Anne Hathaway’s mum’s farmhouse).

You can sit inside or out, either is nice.

Favorite Dish: They cook light lunches, home-baked cakes, cream teas (which we didnt have, having had one the day before... but they did look delicious!) and snacky food.

• Women's Travel

• kzngirl's Profile Photo

Oak Room Restaurant: The best food I have ever had!

by kzngirl Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Oak Room

While staying at Ettington Park, we had dinner in the Oak Room Restaurant. It was a wonderful room with original 18th century Rococo ceiling and embossed wall panelling.

Our table was in a small nook to one corner…in front of us roared a large open fire and behind us the stars had begun to twinkle in the night sky.

Our first course consisted of a complimentary dish from the chef! A fish dish combined with green couscous! I couldn’t tell you what it was, but it was very tasty (even though I am not keen on fish – I could tell it was good!)

My starter was rabbit, followed by a main of pork belly and steak that just melted in the mouth – possibly one of the best-cooked meats I have ever tasted. The desert was almost our undoing: although it looked like small treats of different chocolate expressions, we could barely finishes ours…they were so delicious but boy, were we stuffed!

We retired to the lounge for tea and were astounded by what we were brought…A tray heaving with a china tea service and a plate laden with freshly baked biscuits and home made chocolates…

I have never experienced food like this before. I was so impressed by the flavour, textures and presentation of the food. It definitely blew me away and set a precedent for me going forward!

A great experience that I highly recommend!

• Luxury Travel

• Watsoncomper's Profile Photo

Countess of Evesham: Eating afloat

by Watsoncomper Updated Apr 4, 2011

Restaurant Afloat

For meal with a difference a cruse along the River Avon while you are eating is an extremely pleasant way of sight seeing in comfort.

It is a once only occasion for that special anniversary maybe!!!

Favorite Dish: The food is very English and its hard to beat a roasted pork meal with crackling

• Cruise

• stefano99's Profile Photo

Cafe' Rouge: French Style Cafe'

by stefano99 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Although it is a chain and I tend to avoid chains. I have always enjoyed my visits to Cafe' Rouge. The Cafe' has a pleasing appearance, the waiting staff are attentive and the food is aways good.

Favorite Dish: The French Onion Soup is one of my favourites and is always very tasty and comes with fresh French-style bread.

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Kingfisher: Good Fish and Chips

by yooperprof Written Sep 7, 2009

the shop around the corner

A good fish and chip shop is worth a mention, especially when it's an affordable alternative to some of the more expensive and touristy places in this popular touristy town. The Kingfisher has good traditional fare that reminded me of the affordable fare that I used to enjoy so much when I used to live in Norwich in the early 1980s. Dine-in or take-away. Vinegar optional!

• leics's Profile Photo

Thistle Hotel: Quiet-ish place for a sit-down

by leics Updated Jun 28, 2008

Terrace tables

I happened upon this place whilst wandering back from Holy Trinity Church. It's sign asked 'Hungry?', and I was. It also has tables outside (there are few of these in Stratford, I found) in a little terraced garden.

The Thistle Hotel is (obviously) a hotel, with restaurant etc. But they are quite happy to serve coffee/tea/sandwiches/light meals etc in the garden during the day.

Prices in Stratford are slightly higher than one normally expects (it's the tourist trade) but I was pleasantly surprised by my beef-and-horseradich sadwiches (a round and a half), served with crisps and a small dressed salad. It cost 4.95GBP, which is what I'd normally expect to pay.

The coffee was more pricey though: 2.50 for a small cafetiere. Perfectly ok coffee.

They do light meals too, as well as wraps, sandwiches etc. And cream teas of course (very expensive, in my opinion).

Service was courteous and efficient. It's best to go into the hotel and find a waiter/waitress though, otherwise you might have a long wait if they don't notice you.

A nice place to sit and rest for a while: pretty flowers, lots of tame-ish sparrows pecking at the crumbs, set on a reasonably quiet road.

• Seniors

Instant Answers: Stratford-upon-Avon

Comments

Stratford-upon-Avon Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Stratford-upon-Avon restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Stratford-upon-Avon sightseeing.

View all Stratford-upon-Avon hotels