Warwick Favorites

I'm sure they are guilty of something!
    by Dabs

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Torture

by Dabs Updated Aug 26, 2008

David in the stockade

Favorite thing: What would a trip to a medieval castle be without putting my husband in some instrument of torture? He really is a good sport about these things, especially since he knows I'll post the photos.

In August 2008 I had a couple of new torturees, my nephew Tommy and niece Rachel who gladly pose for silly photos, David is off the hook when I travel with these two!

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Discount tickets/booking in advance

by Dabs Updated Aug 24, 2008

Favorite thing: I booked four of the tickets on Last Minute which had 2 for 1 offers for both kids and adults, actually it turned out to be even cheaper than 2 for 1 if we had waited to buy at the castle. The downside was that we had to select a specific day.

I booked the 5th ticket from the Warwick Castle website for a slight discount. Instead of getting a 10% discount for booking a specific day, I booked an open dated ticket which had a 20% discount. The open dated ticket had the added bonus of being good for 12 months in case the day we picked turned out to be rainy, we could have selected another day.

The best part? We collected all of the tickets from the pre booked ticket window which had no queue and saved us from having to queue in line when we got there as we printed out the ticket before we left home.

On our previous visit, we got a combination ticket/castle admission when we bought the tickets at Marylebone station but that discount no longer appeared to be available. But if you don't pre book tickets, it's worth it to ask when you are buying your train ticket.

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Views from St. Mary's Church Tower

by barryg23 Updated Aug 30, 2007

View from Tower

Favorite thing: From the top of St. Mary's tower there are excellent views in all directions of Warwick and the surrounding countryside. The tower is over 50 metres high and can be ascended via a narrow spiralling staircase.

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Activities at the castle

by Jenniflower Written May 18, 2007

Favorite thing: We have been here 4 times, at different times of the year.

At Christmas it is very cold, but fun for the kids.. with a specially made ice rink and activities aimed at the kids. They have special jousting weekends in summer, and these are fun, but very crowded!

They have lovely displays in the torture chamber and even a dungeon! They have a rack and stocks where you get to take 'that' shot :)

They also have a green house, which I have always found disappointing... but the peacock shaped shrubs and live peacocks are lovely to see.

This is a super day trip for the family :)

• Festivals

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

The town with a massive medieval castle

by Jenniflower Written May 18, 2007

Favorite thing: Warwick and Warwick Castle areboth found in the county of Warwickshire.

Warwick Castle is the finest (in my opinion) example of a medieval castle. It is intact and shows you how the castle dwellers, and their servants, lived in medieval days.

Madame Tussauds owns Warwick Castle, and there are magnificent wax figures displayed, which makes the ornate rooms come to life that much more!

• Festivals

• evaanna's Profile Photo

Carvings on the porch

by evaanna Updated Nov 13, 2006

Beautifully carved porch

Favorite thing: Wherever you go in Warwick look around and you may find some interesting details, like this timber porch at one of the entrances to Lord Leycester Hospital. The carvings on it represent the Tudor Rose also known as an English Rose, which is a combination of the Red Rose of the House of Lancaster with the White Rose of the House of York and was created by Henry Tudor when the Wars of the Roses were over. In heraldry, the rose is depicted as white on red.
    In the Middle Ages, a rose was hung from the ceiling of a council chamber, pledging all present to secrecy, which it symbolises.
    I haven't been able to find out what the peculiar circular objects suspended from the porch were. I wonder if they served some purpose or if they were there just for decoration. If you know the answer, please let me know.

• Architecture

• evaanna's Profile Photo

Timber-framed houses, aren't they cute?

by evaanna Written Nov 5, 2006

Half-timbered house, Warwick

Favorite thing: Warwick boasts many beautiful examples of half-timbered houses, dating back to Tudor times. You can come across them in the main streets as well as in some narrow passages, like the one leading to the Church of St Mary. Their beautiful, sometimes intricate and curving, designs
    delight the eye. The wonderfully ornate building in the picture can be found in the square at the back of the museum, but I haven't been able to trace its history.
    Some of those buildings may be crooked with age, but this only shows that they have not been tampered with, which adds to their irresisible charm.

• Architecture

• Imbi's Profile Photo

Tourist Information Centre

by Imbi Written Nov 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Tourist Information Centre
    Warwick Tourist Information Centre has a wide range of publications, local guides, maps and souvenirs to help you make the most of your visit. It is located on Jury Street and open from 09:30 to 16:30. Tourist information centre also provides help in booking your accommodations and transport. One thing I say that no doubt I found staff very helpful.

• Imbi's Profile Photo

Police Station

by Imbi Written Nov 25, 2003

Favorite thing: When you are traveling abroad or domestically you don’t want to come across with any problems and I hope that every traveler stays away from all kind of troubles. But just in case including this tip, of Police Station, which is located on Priory Road, next to Priory Park. I can’t tell you that how helpful they are as I didn’t happen to go in there.

• andywing's Profile Photo

Tourist Information Office

by andywing Updated Oct 29, 2003

The Old Court House, Warwick.

Favorite thing: Warwick has a very good Tourist Information Office provided by the town council.

It is located in the old Court House on the corner of Jury Street and Castle Lane (it's well signposted).

Instant Answers: Warwick

Comments

Warwick Favorites

Reviews and photos of Warwick favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Warwick sightseeing.