Jessica's, Birmingham

19 Portland Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham B16 9HN +44 121 455 0999

• J_P_B's Profile Photo

Jessica's: The Best Birmingham has to offer.

by J_P_B Written Sep 3, 2003

I am somewhat speechless having been to Jessica's. I would not be lying if I said it was one of the best dining experiences I have ever had. The food was stunning, the service was attentive without being obtrusive, the atmosphere was relaxed rather than austere, which I have found tends to be the case in many such high brow establishments, and the overall impression after leaving was one of wanting to go back and eat the same meal all over again and now!

I won't waffle unnecessarily, so here goes. I had ham hock, with confit of vegetables and pea salad to start, mains was veal and dessert was praline pannacotta with cardomon ice cream and caramel sauce. My companions had (variously) seared scallops with crispy mackerel on truffled cauliflower and herb salad or foie gras as starters, roast saddle of lamb with aubergine and goats cheese cannelloni with roast tomato puree and green beans or slow cooked blade of beef with horseradish apple, buttered cabbage, mushroom cappuccino as mains and crème brulee of lavender honey with pistachios, apricot and almond ice cream. We each sampled the others meals and were extremely impressed. We were presented prior to the meal with an hors d'ouvres of parmesan bread and given palate cleanser of melon with feta cheese. Mind blowing and nice... I wish I was able to come up with stuff like this!

For drinks, we had a couple of bottles of Fleurie and some Sparkling mineral water and then topped it all off with coffee. The bill came to £181. With a well deserved tip, we pushed it to £200. Now, £50 is a lot per head, but I can not fault this place in any way, shape, or form. This isn't the most detailed review I've ever written, but the fact is, the food and service at Jessica's absolutely speak for themselves. If you don't want to go, fine, it leaves all the more room for the rest of us. I've finally had a meal in Birmingham which nearly reaches food nirvana and I'm looking forward to checking it out again... totally fantastic!

Favorite Dish: The creme brullee is absolutely out of this world. But then, so is everything.

Instant Answers: Birmingham