Dodgy Areas, Birmingham

Handsworth Park - Birmingham
    by TracyG
  • Bad areas in Birmingham muggings/assaults

by 11Anoni Written Aug 3, 2015

Avoid Birchfield near One Stop Shopping Centre. I was mugged there by 3 youths in broad daylight and was body-searched, and hompohobically abused it was a horrible experience.
    Also avoid Kingstanding I was viciously attacked there by a group of male youths and homophobically and racially abused. Kingstanding is a racist/homophobic area so if you're not white and gay avoid at all costs.

• areas where you will get mugged

by FaisalK3 Written Feb 2, 2015

most of the white areas in birmingham are either kind, chatty or they do there own thing. downtown sparkbrook is a red light if your not muslim. iv see somalis robb jamaicans, whites and who ever that is not muslim. if your staying in sparkbrook try to go up where the pakistanis are, eg ladypool road stoney lane, and stratford road. lozells aston handsworth are gone better than ten years ago. people have started doing their own thing. just watch out for somali and tribal arabs. stick to white, paki and jamaican areas and youl be safe unless your drunk lol

• Dodgy

by Reecara Written Nov 12, 2014

Having lived in birmingham I found it a very friendly place, divided rich and poor also -DODGY, but friendly. you really have to be street wise. Keep your valuable locked a away, especially expensive phone or jewellery. There are a lot of unemployment and drug dealers so be very aware if you don't know a area very well don't go there unless you need to go. Night life is great so best be in a crowd if your a guy or girl. But if you intend to live in birmingham move to the posh areas. If you have a nice car for Goddard park it in a secure car park .

• South Birmingham

by Brummielove Written Oct 26, 2014

Basically the south of Birmingham is better than the north. There's still crime, mostly petty and it's usually a shock to hear that someone has been stabbed or shot or something of a more violent nature. But On the whole it's nicer to live here. Selly Oak isn't as nice as people are suggesting. I've lived there my whole life so I know. The student Ghettos are vile and I believe the reason for a lot of crime in Selly oak. Northfield and Kings Norton are 50 50. Some beautiful areas and houses and then some not so. Quarry lane in Northfield - expensive housing for professionals with families. Overbury in Nortfield- GRIM. My Kings Norton school was next to a council estate to the left and likewise very expensive properties to the right. Children came from all over Birmingham (some from the north) as their parents wanted to give them a better education. Edgbaston and harborne are beautiful but I associate Moesley with prostitutes and good pubs and properties with gorgeous character. I can't stand Quinton and Bartley Green or Frankley but admit there are nice places to live there. I adore Rubery because the Lickey and Waseley Hills are basically your back garden. Bournville is heaven on earth. On the whole I feel very safe in most of the South of Birmingham. It's nowhere near as bad as the north ie lozells, lady wood and the likes. If you can afford it move to Solihull. If you are pretty average and would like a nice place for your children to grow up then research the south and find your little piece of heaven because you will.

• Violence or theft

by background_banana Written Oct 6, 2014

If you visit Birmingham you will probably be safe from violence as long as you don't make yourself a target. I live in Tyseley but have traveled round most places... The city center is a hub of muggers from all ethnic groups but also has various violent people normally from "bad" areas for instance my friend literally got his face kicked in at about 6 outside of moor st station. Also crime stats can be deceptive as lots of crime won't be reported to the police especially in "bad" areas

• use your head

by majorheadache Written Jan 23, 2014

I’m a guy in his mid-twenties who has lived and worked in Birmingham all his life. From pubs to offices I’ve seen it all as well as being well travelled throughout the UK and various other counties.
    I’ve been mugged once as a young teenager in Birmingham and attempted mugged 3 times. Twice in other cities and once here. The opportunist thinks that they have the upper hand until you're the one kicking THEIR head in! Which is okay as long as you know how to defend yourself (or in my case put them down, don’t let them up again then run like hell) other cities it seems that the north is afraid of the south, the south afraid of the north and both fear the midlands!
    I’ve lived and also worked in Northfield for many years and it’s a great area which is mainly white Christian/atheist and I probably wouldn’t move from here due to it being the place that I fit in and I feel safe. However I have also worked in Aston and had the pleasure of travelling through Lozelles and other such places many times. I wouldn’t go there on my own at night as even stray cats walk around in pairs. I’ve been accused of being racist by people too drunk to stand just because I wouldn’t serve them anymore and also been called many racist names by ethnic MINORITIES. They are just that; a minority who unfortunately give that ethnic group a bad name. Most people, places and businesses that you go from small heath to Sutton Coldfield are friendly and pleasant no matter what race or gender and as you get older you find that less people bother you. It is (unfortunately for the kid who had his bike stolen) an age and wisdom situation and sometimes (for the guy who was mugged) a case of judging a situation.
    So nice areas I could list, for myself it would be sutton coldfield, bournville, Solihull etc, another person’s list may be all the bad places mentioned but it all depends on you, how you conduct yourself and if you are able to fit in.

• Dodgy areas

by mcdoobieman Written Nov 10, 2013

The sad truth is that most of Birmingham is dodgy. The least dodgy areas are as stated in other posts - parts of Edgbaston, Moseley, Sutton C, Harborne, Selly Oak, Hall Green. The most dangerous areas really depend on you ethnicity. White people list predominantly Asian/Black Areas (mainly areas bordering the centre), but if you are not white you would probably list the areas further afield - particularly S.W. Birmingham - Frankley, Bartley Green, etc. Chelmsley Wood and its environs is also very white and very racist (though it's technically in Solihull Borough). The city centre is generally ok apart from Digbeth. I would have said the Custard Factory area of Digbeth was ok but there have been 2 fatal shootings there in the last couple of years. That said, the Old Crown is a decent boozer. Broad Street is full of drunken dickheads, but Brindley Place (just off it) is quite civilised. Hurst Street/Arcadian area is also ok, as is the area near Snow Hill.

The lists people have submitted really do show that "nice" areas are few and far between. South Solihull is mainly ok though the town centre can get a bit lairy. That said you are unlikely to get mugged, stabbed, shot or randomly beaten up there. It is also pretty tolerant these days - i'm mixed race and haven't experienced any problems there for years

• The thing about Brum is...

by MidlandsGuy Written Sep 18, 2013

I've lived in Brum for around 12 years now (doesn't time fly!) and it has many different aspects to it. Sometimes it can be really inclusive and friendly, but at others I've thought, 'What the hell am I doing here?!'

It's tempting to suggest that I have these views because I live in Ladywood which, according to popular prejudice, is a bit dodgy. It certainly has its problems, but rent is relatively cheap around there - and, as others have suggested here, as long as you're fairly streetwise (don't wander around at night, keep your bling out of sight and keep your wits about you), you should be okay.

The trouble is, it's easy to stumble into a bad situation quite quickly. I was mugged several years ago, and I could quite easily have been killed: especially as the muggers seemed to quite enjoy (literally) kicking my head in.

Having said this, Birmingham has a hidden side to it: beautiful old buildings, good 'salt of the Earth' people, a gloriously diverse population, fine pubs (with real ale), some half decent bars and everything you need really.

The canal basin is one of my favourite places to walk. I think the city has faults: people can be a bit too pessimistic, and I've met a few too many urban crazies. You know the kind? They've been in the SAS, or they're novelists, etc. I love it, in a weary kind of way...

• Birmingham has bad places

by martyk.mk Written Apr 8, 2013

I am 14 years old and in the past 3 years I have had a phone stolen from me in kingshurst, a bike stolen from me and a knife pulled out at me in chelmsley wood by a gang. Also I got chased by a gang on bikes through smiths wood last year and a couple of years ago someone chased me through kingshurst with a knife. Take all of these into your head and remember them when going to these places.

• Caribbean_Gyrl's Profile Photo

Birmingham

by Caribbean_Gyrl Written Jan 16, 2013

As a resident of Birmingham I believe I am fairly qualified to express my opinion on the city and it's safety. I have frequently travelled to other countries, some of those include destinations with high crime rate. Of course I take the necessary precautions to keep myself safe. Birmingham is one of the least threatening places you can visit. I am not being bias when I say this, as previously said I travel worldly and know danger when it's knocking on my door. With the economy being in a bad state, granted crime has increased but it's nothing compared to some places in the states, East Timor or Mexico. Like most places there are places where one needs to be mindful, these are social deprived wards such as Shard End, Chelmsley Wood, Kingshurst, Newton, Handsworth, Lady Wood, Northfield, Kingstanding, Aston. The places which I have listed are just few of the low socioeconomical areas, which explains why it wouldn't be surprising to find crime in these areas. Race is not a factor, crime and deprivation is NOT racially specific. If you want to keep safe just avoid impoverish neighbourhoods, stay on the main road and don't go wondering off into unknown territory especially after dark. As I said earlier I don't think Birmingham has a serious crime problem, sure it exists, but as a resident I've never felt threatened and I don't put myself in harms way. If you exercise common sense you will be fine.

• Danger areas

by neeka_j Written May 30, 2012

i have lived in Birmingham for 48 of my 52 years of life. and it is a beautiful city I have lived in multicultural areas like handsworth (24 yrs) and visit small heath alum rock, winson green, regularily because i love the diversity of these communities. i am well travelled and have been to countries which have reputations for violence, gangs drugs etc. please remember drugs Gangs are not a ethnic problem it is a community problem So going back to dangerous areas. do not walk the streets at night in areas you are unfamiliar with. if you are feeling vulnerable keep yr head. you do not have on show your jewellery bling ,latest phones, ipads etc. crime like anywhere is about opportunity and those in that game will take the opportunity wherever you are in the country. or world Birmingham people are very friendly they just come in different colours and dependant on what area you are frequenting there will be a majority of the one colour. don't steriotype come and experience it yourself. if you get to know about a community then by default you feel less threatened. A smile goes a very long way

• Violence

by tinapage Written Apr 22, 2012

Birmingham is my home town, saying that i have lived in a fair few other places including London.
    The history of Birmingham is fascinating and there are some fantastic buildings all around, There are some good places to look around in the city centre,
    including Aston Hall, Blakesley Hall, in the suburbs. I love the Birmingham that i grew up in.
    I am deeply saddenend at how the 'multicultural side of Birmingham is changing it beyond recognition.
    Unfortunately there are places that you shouldnt go to, Handsworth, Lozells, Aston, Winson Green, ( DRUG GANGS, violence, shooting etc,) Sparkhill, Sparkbrook, Alum Rock, Ward End,Small Heath, THERE ARE SHARIA COURTS OPERATING IN SMALL HEATH!! ( drugs, and almost 4 in 5 ethnic and it seems to me that they have no respect or regard for women,or the laws of the land, I would NOT travel in these areas by myself.
    Other parts of Birmingham are the same but i do not know the areas very well.
    Good Places to eat are everywhere, be careful in back street restaurants especially in areas mentioned above!!. WATCH OUT FOR THE HYGIENE.
    i WOULD RECOMMEND BIRMINGHAM THOUGH, as with all city's just take care.

• NOT ALL AREAS R THAT BAD PEOPLE STEREOTYPE

by carter371 Written Feb 6, 2012

I say that because if people have lived country life or outskirts of birmzzz, they cum in to our inner city areas and see how multi cultural it is, if they see a black person they automatically think im gonna get robbed, or its a bad area!!! where i live in the city!!! its not like that its a close neighbourhood, every1 gets on with every1, youve got your ghettos everywhere, im sure sutton coldfield northfield and edgbaston have got there kind of ghetto up there, dont be afraid to cum in to the inner city areas, just smile at we smile back :) T o be honest we lived south birmzzz few years ago, nr northfield we got more problems up there than down here.

• this is not true

by monjur23 Written Oct 10, 2011

there is no serious problems in birmingham its just what people always think but times have changed i have lived in all over uk because of my job i lived in london,cardiff,manchester,swindon,and i think birmingham is not half bad as people thinks you can get mugged outside buckingham palace it did happen to my friend my point is every towns and cities have there good bad and ugly side to it one city might have high level of robbery and another for assault there is no hiding from it after travling all over uk i settled in barnt green on the edge of birmingham the reason i chose this city is simple not too big not too small plus bang in middle of uk shopping is excellent wide range of people from all over the world yes it sometimes feel bit odd when driving/walking in some areas ethnic minority areas but you get that in all towns and cities and you do get used to it in all i think birmingham is a very good city take it from a guy who travels alot.

• Nice/Dodgy Areas of Birmingham

by jamesd0719 Written Aug 15, 2011

Nearly everyone has mentioned, Handsworth, Aston and Lozells etc., in fact some taxi drivers won't drop you off on Lozells Road, as they say it's too dangerous, and they have a point.

But there are lots of nice places as well. Erdington is quite rough, but there are some nice areas (near Pype Hayes Park), also Edgbaston, Moseley and Harborne are nice.

Sutton Coldfield is a nice area, especially in Four Oaks and Mere Green. However, there are places in Sutton you need to stay away from, like Falcon Lodge

Instant Answers: Birmingham

• Aug 17, 2014 at 4:30 AM

I visited birmingham after being away from the place for 16 years. It's horrible and I realise why I left in the first place. Good luck to any poor bugger trapped there

• princesspixie's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2014 at 4:10 AM

ive lived in birmingham my whole life. In my opinion its a lot safer for women than men. I have many guy friends and almost all of them have been mugged or rushed (attacked by a group whilst theyre on their own). But as a girl you tend to get lot of perverts idk whether thats just birmingham or everywhere lol ive had men try to grab me into there cars on a few occasions or they try to purswade you to go in on your own accord.
    Id say it depends who you are and your ethnicity as to were is safe for you. I have a somalian friend that went down to kings norton and got beat up for not being white, then agin im white and when i was in handsworth i was chased by a black women because i defended my self when she hurled racist abuse at me. From my perspective i'd say the worst places to go in brmingham are: druids heath, the back part of kings norton, ladywood, handsworth, winson green, northfeild, chelmsley wood, alum rock. Im not that sure on alot of the north area of birmingham but id suggest to anyone thinking about moving to birmingham to live somewhere busy like the pershore road

• Jun 23, 2013 at 5:18 AM

Let me get this straight ,it doesn't matter where your from, who you are, how you look ,or if your black,white or Asian etc every one eats drinks wees and poos the same .
    and to all the racist people out there that go 'id never live in nechelles its full of blacks' your wrong its multicultural its got black,white,Greek, Asian,Somalian ,mixed race people, Irish and Chinese .

• Jun 23, 2013 at 5:13 AM

I'm from nechelles ,my nan has lived their for 22 years and a couple of months in a bungalow all the time she has been their she has had no issues or heard any trouble or argued with anyone,we've had BBQ hung up my Paul's boutique jackets out and super dry hoodies and jacket nothing has ever got stolen from her garden or inside the house ,my mom lived in a tower block for 9 years and my uncle has lived in nechelles for 2 years the reason for my mom and uncle moving is my mom had a 2 bedroom flat and we all couldn't fit in,my uncle left because he got offered a house with 3 rooms and it was hard for him and his wife with a young child and all the food shopping to be taking up all the way on the 13th floor .
    unless you have been there or lived there do not judge the area ,and to all you stereo types get a life and stop judging people and places .

• Mar 7, 2013 at 3:52 AM

I've visited birmingham annually for the last 38 years and it's sad that some places are being added to lists of what could be termed 'dodgy' areas. The only problems I've faced with any of the people is white, racist brummies over the years (including 2 threats of violence due to the area of the UK I'm from and no more than that...once at a funeral!)....but being part of a large Irish family headed those issues off. :) There is a gang problem in the city but the violence around that is confined to that and normal members of the public generally won't get caught up in this. The city centre is a safe, bustling and vibrant place to visit either during the day or night. Just be aware of your surroundings and take the usual precautions. It's got some of the best restaurants in the UK (particularly the Asian cooking/West Indian).

• Feb 25, 2013 at 2:06 AM

I have lived in Bimirngham my whole life, i'm 22 so i've lived my teens and childhood here. I lived in Lady Wood until i was 8 and i'd always play out and have no problems but i always heard of gang/drug violence around there but i was a child so i didn't know the dangers. I then moved to Edgbaston which is where i still reside. I don't think there is much crime involving the public in birmingham, mostly gang in parts i think. I've travelled Birmingham a lot and the worst area i have been too is definately Hawksley towards Kings Norton, many times i've been asked for my valuables, luckily by little chavs so nothing happened. I can't really compare birmingham to other cities because i've never lived anywhere else, for me i'm more then happy living here, no serious problems and as for the ethnic groups they generally keep themselves to themselves. I wouldn't like to live here as a woman as alot of the ethnic groups due to culture they have no respect for women. Mostly i think with birmingham if you wonder into the wrong neibourhood you'll encounter some chavs and they are not to be trusted.

• AamilahS's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2013 at 5:23 AM

In the last few weeks groups of hooded males are assaulting lone females grocery shopping in Sparkhill Birmingham during daytime.

• Dec 10, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I'm proud of coming from the more rougher parts of Erdington. It has made me more street smart and more aware of my surroundings. I go to work everyday in Four Oaks yet i feel the people there have missed out because they wont be able to go out at night safe etc. I love my area, people here a real and down to earth. They understand the real world and yes at night its not the best and we do have our share of Chavs and druggies but its a part of life; experiencing different types of people, the wealthy and the poor and those with differnt cultures. Being from Erdington has made me a more a considerate person and i never take anything for granted. It had made me work harder and strive for success (im a Pharmacist). I think everyone should experience even for a little while how the other half lives. Maybe we'll be better people.

• leics's Profile Photo
      Aug 6, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Welcome to VT. Very few people will see your comment on a thread at the bottom of the travel guide. You need to re-post your question on the VT Birmingham travel forum where you should get some helpful replies. You can use the 'Instant Answers' box above this thread or just go straight to the forum here:

Birmingham Travel Forum

• Sep 26, 2014 at 12:50 AM

I have lived in Birmingham all my life, Castle vale for well over twenty years and now in Sutton Coldfield, near falcon lodge for the last 14 years and i can say hand on heart i have always felt safe to walk the streets of these areas both day and night. It seems that the reputations of these places are built on comments made by people who have never lived there and while i accept they are not perfect and incidents of crime do occur just like everywhere else, i find the suggestion from one of the comments above that people walk around in packs looking to attack anyone or anything is just ridiculous. In all my time in these places i have never been attacked or muggedor even threatened. The worst i have had is my car broken into. Give these places a chance and dont believe some of the rumours.

Other Warnings and Dangers in Birmingham