Dodgy Areas, Birmingham

Handsworth Park - Birmingham
    by TracyG
  • Dodgy Brum Areas

by mint2y Written May 28, 2011

I've read the reviews on here and as a brummie born and bred it is not just places like Handsworth, Aston, Nechells and Newton you need to watch out for. You may get mugged in these areas, but I feel safer in these areas than the ones I'm about to mention.

I think people need to be more careful in the dodgy 'indigenous' areas like Kingstanding, Chemsley Wood, Smiths Wood, Castle Vale, Castle Bromwich, Northfield, parts of Sutton Coldfield, Falcon Lodge and places like these. In these areas you are more likely to become a victim of mindless violent crime, you'll be walking down the street in broad daylight minding your own business when jobless drunken louts will chase you and beat you to a pulp for a 'laugh'. If I get my watch or money stolen, I can replace them, but if I am beaten to death.............

• Crime In Birmingham

by kokerd Written Mar 17, 2011

Birmingham does have a low crime rate compared to alot of the other major cities in England, but don't let this fool you. I have lived in and around the city most of my life and have seen and heard my fair share of violence and crime. The majority of the city is made up of ethnic minorities, but they are not the sole cause of crime and shouldn't be avoided. There are a lot of areas that I would recommend are avoided, but as a lot of people have said there isn't really any reason to visit these areas anyway. The worst of these areas would be Alum Rock, Small Heath, Ladywood, parts of Handsworth and Lozzels. I would definitely avoid these areas but also I wouldn't go out of my way to visit areas such as Maypole, Edgbaston (believe it or not, not as nice as it used to be), Erdington, Nechells, Balsall Heath, parts of Chelmsleywood, Bordesley Green, Kings Norton and Northfield. As for the city centre its a brilliant place to visit in the day and at night. I have never felt threatened there, just don't stray into back streets and alleyways and you will be fine. There are a lot more shootings and stabbings than "only a couple a year" but they are usually in the areas in mention, although in recent years the gang violence has been leaking into the city centre but it is directed at specific groups and I've never heard of innocent people being gunned down in the city centre. Just be sensible and follow the same rules you would in any major city and Birmingham is brilliant place to visit.

By the way for the food lovers, Birmingham has some of the finest restaurants in the country.

• Birmingham is on the whole very safe

by dbrum21 Written Mar 3, 2011

As long as you dont wander round acting like a hardman, or as a woman by yourself in virtually no clothing you will be absolutely fine in the main areas of birmingham. there are a couple of rougher areas further out such as aston or lozelles, but 1. as a tourist a doubt you'll encounter them and 2. they arent half as bad as people make out, its not like as soon as you set foot there you get shot! birmingham actually has an extremely low crime rate for a major city.

if you are going on a night out as long as you make sure if someone does start on you (which is rare in my experience) you are polite, nice and avoid conflictnothing will come of it. As long as you respect people and are nice they respect you! and dont listen to all the rubbish about the minority areas being really rough, places like spark hill are a brilliant place to visit and i have never encountered any problems!

have lived in birmingham for 20 years and never got into any trouble, im female and walk round mosely and kings heath after dark loads, and even the city centre, its no big deal and ive never had a problem. as long as you take the same precautions you would in any large city and arent stupid you will be fine.

• Dont mess about!!

by Lorenzothegreat12 Written Dec 14, 2010

I live in birmingham and have my whole life! when your in birmingham i suggest you dont go out by yourself at night! i've been on the recieving end of a knife attack and i am a true born brummie so imagine what they would do to an outsider! i suggest that you keep out of these areas for your own safety: Any where in north birmingham, bordesely green, stechford, chelmsley wood, castle bromwich ( between shard end and smithswood),alum rock, small heath, erdington and a few more!

• if youre coming to birmingham

by razora Written Jul 18, 2010

there are quite a few areas u wanna avoid walking threw such as bordesley green , alum rock, small heath, handsworth, lozells and nechells and aston. iv seen some comments saying that birmingams not that bad i think in actual facet those people have just been lucky. but the good thing about birmingham is that if you keep youre self to ure self u dont always get bothered but if u go on like ure a hardnock or flash around cash, stare at people then ure seriously asking for it!

• Women's Travel

• Rough areas in Birmingham

by robert84 Written Jul 12, 2010

I came to live in Birmingham from Darlington in the north east of England. I have also lived in Manchester. I now live in Witton which is an area of Aston in Birmingham. Everyone says Aston area is rough but I have not encountered any problems. I have been mugged in Darlington and in Manchester but never in Birmingham.

All the brummies seem to be very nervous and their defination of rough seems to be given much more readily than what other people call rough. If you read some reviews on Birmingham you will see that half the suberbs in Birmingham are mentioned as rough areas. Most people can think the place is rough if they have been called a name once or had one bad experience of the place. Let's face it there are only a few cases of gun crime a year and Birmingham has well over a million inhabitants.

Because of the cultural diversity many people have disagreements with others. Birmingham also has a drugs problem. If you keep out of it all they leave you alone. If you smile at people they smile back. People often mention the ethic areas are being the rough areas but in actual fact I decided not to listen to the Brummies and mix with the different cultures and found them to be more friendly than the native white brummies (on the whole). If you move to Birmingham and area afriad the area might be rough just follow the sensible actions: be careful that you do not carry too much money in your pocket, avoid lonely and quiet places on a night time, be polite to people and make a point of smiling. Do not give people dirty looks or look down on people for being black or muslim!

Ok if there are some areas to avoid then I might have to say Nechells, Newtown, Soho Road Area and Lozells Road Area. I only know the north of Birmingham so I cannot comment much on the south. However if you ask people which areas of Birmingham are ok they will normally tell you the posh areas like Edgebaston and Harbourne. You cannot just avoid most areas of the city. Birmingham is very interesting city with many cultures and many different areas. There are cheaper areas which are ok too. Just be sensible and look at the houses and see if they are well maintained and then you will probably have nice neighbours.

• bad brum

by danny.p Written Jun 2, 2010

i have lived in brum all my life and i grew up in an area called perry bar and about 5 years ago moved to shard end: i would say that Birmingham is is a ruff place to live, places like Aston, handsworth, lozzells, highgate, ward end, washwood heath, great bar, bromford, newtown, ladywood, boardsly green, bearwood and many other places across Birmingham are full of gun crime, knife crime, drugs, prostitutes, crack heads and *** like that. another reason why its so bad because of how multicultural the city is i would say that 60% of the city is black or Asian. so if you could try and avoid those particular areas.

• Dodgy Areas: Birmingham

by DJ157 Written Sep 13, 2009

There are many areas in Brum that you should avoid if you are not familiar, in other words don't go wandering around these areas and looking out of place (especially at night) if you are an outsider.... off the top these would be: Lozells, Newtown, Hockley, Aston, Nechells, Handsworth, Alum Rock, Small Heath, Ladywood, Washwood Heath, Saltley, Winson Green, Perry Barr, Bordsely Green, Highgate, Lee Bank, Five Ways, most of Smethwick, most of Quinton, most of Bromfrod, Balsall Heath, some of Erdington, some Stechford, some of Edgbaston and Moseley , Sparkhill/Sparkbrook

• rough areas

by ryan_w11 Written Jun 6, 2009

if i were u i wudnt step foot in lozells, aston, handsworth, newtown, balsall heath, alum rock, nechells, ward end, washwood heath, small heath, mosely, ladywood, winson green, bordsely green, acocks green.

places lyk castle vale , chelmsley wood, great barr and kingstanding r stil dodgy places but not as bad be careful

• Five Ways

by andysha Updated Sep 3, 2007

Birmingham has the lowest combined crime rate of the 8 major cities in England. This surprises many people, but this is because burglary, robbery and car crime have been much reduced. One of the reasons is the booming economy but the big reason for the reduction in the city
    centre is CCTV. The pedestrian areas of New Street and Corporation Street are monitored and well patrolled.

Gun crime is sadly on the increase, but this tends to occur in areas where gangland activity is rife - Nechells, Lozells, Aston, Handsworth into West Brom. These are not usually places that tourists or day shoppers venture into. These aren't no go areas by any means, and the majority of the victims knew who shot them and shootings happened close to where they lived. Again, sadly, local teenagers seem most at risk. All this said, you are much more likely to be killed by a car mounting the curb, as Birmingham, due to large highways going through the centre, has a higher death toll from road accidents than slow driving London, for example.

The mugging hotspot, at least in the centre, is around the end of Five Ways. This is because it is on a drunken route home to the university halls of residence from Broad Street and many students from comparatively affluent backgrounds aren't 'streetwise'. 18 year olds staggering back to their rooms on their own at 4 in the morning is a common sight. There are less cameras here too. Don't use a cashpoint around midnight; a favourite trick is to make you get a standard 250 a day limit out just before 12 and then just after.

• Areas to avoid!!

by MattWyre Written May 1, 2007

Lozells, Handsworth and Aston are the places to avoid if u can. Shootings and stabbings a weekly event here. Majority of the people are sound, normal people, but until the problems are under control, try to avoid!!

• kayleigh06's Profile Photo

Anywhere

by kayleigh06 Updated Apr 22, 2007

Right, I aint gonna make out like Birmingham is the best place on earth because it isnt! If your out at night -especially females- always stick to main roads and don't stay out on your own to long. Even during the day watch yourself and your belongings. Always stay with friends & family, because some people in Birmingham are t**ts basically and will see you as an easy target. It doesn't matter that you may not be from Birmingham, but people in Birmingham are to scared to step out especially at night.

• DUNK67's Profile Photo

No Go Areas

by DUNK67 Updated Jun 12, 2004

Stay away from areas like Handsworth and Aston at night as it can be quite rough and dangerous. We broke down one night after football and there were gangs standing on street corners and the sound of glass and bottles breaking everywhere, it was quite scarey.

• laurey81's Profile Photo

Be careful but don't miss out!

by laurey81 Written Mar 15, 2003

Ok, everyone's mentioned Handsworth, Aston, Newtown as areas to avoid....even in daylight. Well, I've spent alot of time wandering around these areas during the day and I wanted to expand a little....
    Yes, they're 'dodgy' in places, fairly litter-ridden and crime is high. In particular, Aston recently saw the terrible shooting of two young girls and Newtown has pretty much nothing going for it (sorry guys!). However, Soho Road in Handsworth is a wonderful cultural experience these days, reflecting the changing ethnic make-up of the area, and Handsworth in general has some lovely architecture. But you do have to be careful...don't flash jewellery, money or cameras. There are some wonderful interesting people in Handsworth but unfortunately you need to be vigilant.....and night wandering is NOT recommended.

• J_P_B's Profile Photo

Dodgy Areas...

by J_P_B Written Nov 26, 2002

I can't pretend that Birmingham doesn't have places which are off limits to people. As a local, there are places I wouldn't go wandering around in the dark. These include, Highgate, Balsall Heath and Handsworth.

That is not to say that these places are totally unsafe, on the contrary, there are areas of them that are fine, it's just that if you don't know what is and isn't safe, then you shouldn't really be going there. My advice, call a taxi, because the money you may save from walking through one of these areas, you may lose by being mugged!

Instant Answers: Birmingham

• Aug 17, 2014 at 4:30 AM

I visited birmingham after being away from the place for 16 years. It's horrible and I realise why I left in the first place. Good luck to any poor bugger trapped there

• princesspixie's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2014 at 4:10 AM

ive lived in birmingham my whole life. In my opinion its a lot safer for women than men. I have many guy friends and almost all of them have been mugged or rushed (attacked by a group whilst theyre on their own). But as a girl you tend to get lot of perverts idk whether thats just birmingham or everywhere lol ive had men try to grab me into there cars on a few occasions or they try to purswade you to go in on your own accord.
    Id say it depends who you are and your ethnicity as to were is safe for you. I have a somalian friend that went down to kings norton and got beat up for not being white, then agin im white and when i was in handsworth i was chased by a black women because i defended my self when she hurled racist abuse at me. From my perspective i'd say the worst places to go in brmingham are: druids heath, the back part of kings norton, ladywood, handsworth, winson green, northfeild, chelmsley wood, alum rock. Im not that sure on alot of the north area of birmingham but id suggest to anyone thinking about moving to birmingham to live somewhere busy like the pershore road

• Jun 23, 2013 at 5:18 AM

Let me get this straight ,it doesn't matter where your from, who you are, how you look ,or if your black,white or Asian etc every one eats drinks wees and poos the same .
    and to all the racist people out there that go 'id never live in nechelles its full of blacks' your wrong its multicultural its got black,white,Greek, Asian,Somalian ,mixed race people, Irish and Chinese .

• Jun 23, 2013 at 5:13 AM

I'm from nechelles ,my nan has lived their for 22 years and a couple of months in a bungalow all the time she has been their she has had no issues or heard any trouble or argued with anyone,we've had BBQ hung up my Paul's boutique jackets out and super dry hoodies and jacket nothing has ever got stolen from her garden or inside the house ,my mom lived in a tower block for 9 years and my uncle has lived in nechelles for 2 years the reason for my mom and uncle moving is my mom had a 2 bedroom flat and we all couldn't fit in,my uncle left because he got offered a house with 3 rooms and it was hard for him and his wife with a young child and all the food shopping to be taking up all the way on the 13th floor .
    unless you have been there or lived there do not judge the area ,and to all you stereo types get a life and stop judging people and places .

• Mar 7, 2013 at 3:52 AM

I've visited birmingham annually for the last 38 years and it's sad that some places are being added to lists of what could be termed 'dodgy' areas. The only problems I've faced with any of the people is white, racist brummies over the years (including 2 threats of violence due to the area of the UK I'm from and no more than that...once at a funeral!)....but being part of a large Irish family headed those issues off. :) There is a gang problem in the city but the violence around that is confined to that and normal members of the public generally won't get caught up in this. The city centre is a safe, bustling and vibrant place to visit either during the day or night. Just be aware of your surroundings and take the usual precautions. It's got some of the best restaurants in the UK (particularly the Asian cooking/West Indian).

• Feb 25, 2013 at 2:06 AM

I have lived in Bimirngham my whole life, i'm 22 so i've lived my teens and childhood here. I lived in Lady Wood until i was 8 and i'd always play out and have no problems but i always heard of gang/drug violence around there but i was a child so i didn't know the dangers. I then moved to Edgbaston which is where i still reside. I don't think there is much crime involving the public in birmingham, mostly gang in parts i think. I've travelled Birmingham a lot and the worst area i have been too is definately Hawksley towards Kings Norton, many times i've been asked for my valuables, luckily by little chavs so nothing happened. I can't really compare birmingham to other cities because i've never lived anywhere else, for me i'm more then happy living here, no serious problems and as for the ethnic groups they generally keep themselves to themselves. I wouldn't like to live here as a woman as alot of the ethnic groups due to culture they have no respect for women. Mostly i think with birmingham if you wonder into the wrong neibourhood you'll encounter some chavs and they are not to be trusted.

• AamilahS's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2013 at 5:23 AM

In the last few weeks groups of hooded males are assaulting lone females grocery shopping in Sparkhill Birmingham during daytime.

• Dec 10, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I'm proud of coming from the more rougher parts of Erdington. It has made me more street smart and more aware of my surroundings. I go to work everyday in Four Oaks yet i feel the people there have missed out because they wont be able to go out at night safe etc. I love my area, people here a real and down to earth. They understand the real world and yes at night its not the best and we do have our share of Chavs and druggies but its a part of life; experiencing different types of people, the wealthy and the poor and those with differnt cultures. Being from Erdington has made me a more a considerate person and i never take anything for granted. It had made me work harder and strive for success (im a Pharmacist). I think everyone should experience even for a little while how the other half lives. Maybe we'll be better people.

• leics's Profile Photo
      Aug 6, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Welcome to VT. Very few people will see your comment on a thread at the bottom of the travel guide. You need to re-post your question on the VT Birmingham travel forum where you should get some helpful replies. You can use the 'Instant Answers' box above this thread or just go straight to the forum here:

Birmingham Travel Forum

• Sep 26, 2014 at 12:50 AM

I have lived in Birmingham all my life, Castle vale for well over twenty years and now in Sutton Coldfield, near falcon lodge for the last 14 years and i can say hand on heart i have always felt safe to walk the streets of these areas both day and night. It seems that the reputations of these places are built on comments made by people who have never lived there and while i accept they are not perfect and incidents of crime do occur just like everywhere else, i find the suggestion from one of the comments above that people walk around in packs looking to attack anyone or anything is just ridiculous. In all my time in these places i have never been attacked or muggedor even threatened. The worst i have had is my car broken into. Give these places a chance and dont believe some of the rumours.

Other Warnings and Dangers in Birmingham