Dodgy Areas, Birmingham

by TracyG
  • TracyG's Profile Photo

Handsworth Park!

by TracyG Updated Jul 6, 2003

Do not walk in or near Handsworth Park at night, this is where most gangs hangout, and it is not pleasent at all.

Handsworth Park - Birmingham

Instant Answers: Birmingham

• Aug 17, 2014 at 4:30 AM

I visited birmingham after being away from the place for 16 years. It's horrible and I realise why I left in the first place. Good luck to any poor bugger trapped there

• princesspixie's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2014 at 4:10 AM

ive lived in birmingham my whole life. In my opinion its a lot safer for women than men. I have many guy friends and almost all of them have been mugged or rushed (attacked by a group whilst theyre on their own). But as a girl you tend to get lot of perverts idk whether thats just birmingham or everywhere lol ive had men try to grab me into there cars on a few occasions or they try to purswade you to go in on your own accord.
    Id say it depends who you are and your ethnicity as to were is safe for you. I have a somalian friend that went down to kings norton and got beat up for not being white, then agin im white and when i was in handsworth i was chased by a black women because i defended my self when she hurled racist abuse at me. From my perspective i'd say the worst places to go in brmingham are: druids heath, the back part of kings norton, ladywood, handsworth, winson green, northfeild, chelmsley wood, alum rock. Im not that sure on alot of the north area of birmingham but id suggest to anyone thinking about moving to birmingham to live somewhere busy like the pershore road

• Jun 23, 2013 at 5:18 AM

Let me get this straight ,it doesn't matter where your from, who you are, how you look ,or if your black,white or Asian etc every one eats drinks wees and poos the same .
    and to all the racist people out there that go 'id never live in nechelles its full of blacks' your wrong its multicultural its got black,white,Greek, Asian,Somalian ,mixed race people, Irish and Chinese .

• Jun 23, 2013 at 5:13 AM

I'm from nechelles ,my nan has lived their for 22 years and a couple of months in a bungalow all the time she has been their she has had no issues or heard any trouble or argued with anyone,we've had BBQ hung up my Paul's boutique jackets out and super dry hoodies and jacket nothing has ever got stolen from her garden or inside the house ,my mom lived in a tower block for 9 years and my uncle has lived in nechelles for 2 years the reason for my mom and uncle moving is my mom had a 2 bedroom flat and we all couldn't fit in,my uncle left because he got offered a house with 3 rooms and it was hard for him and his wife with a young child and all the food shopping to be taking up all the way on the 13th floor .
    unless you have been there or lived there do not judge the area ,and to all you stereo types get a life and stop judging people and places .

• Mar 7, 2013 at 3:52 AM

I've visited birmingham annually for the last 38 years and it's sad that some places are being added to lists of what could be termed 'dodgy' areas. The only problems I've faced with any of the people is white, racist brummies over the years (including 2 threats of violence due to the area of the UK I'm from and no more than that...once at a funeral!)....but being part of a large Irish family headed those issues off. :) There is a gang problem in the city but the violence around that is confined to that and normal members of the public generally won't get caught up in this. The city centre is a safe, bustling and vibrant place to visit either during the day or night. Just be aware of your surroundings and take the usual precautions. It's got some of the best restaurants in the UK (particularly the Asian cooking/West Indian).

• Feb 25, 2013 at 2:06 AM

I have lived in Bimirngham my whole life, i'm 22 so i've lived my teens and childhood here. I lived in Lady Wood until i was 8 and i'd always play out and have no problems but i always heard of gang/drug violence around there but i was a child so i didn't know the dangers. I then moved to Edgbaston which is where i still reside. I don't think there is much crime involving the public in birmingham, mostly gang in parts i think. I've travelled Birmingham a lot and the worst area i have been too is definately Hawksley towards Kings Norton, many times i've been asked for my valuables, luckily by little chavs so nothing happened. I can't really compare birmingham to other cities because i've never lived anywhere else, for me i'm more then happy living here, no serious problems and as for the ethnic groups they generally keep themselves to themselves. I wouldn't like to live here as a woman as alot of the ethnic groups due to culture they have no respect for women. Mostly i think with birmingham if you wonder into the wrong neibourhood you'll encounter some chavs and they are not to be trusted.

• AamilahS's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2013 at 5:23 AM

In the last few weeks groups of hooded males are assaulting lone females grocery shopping in Sparkhill Birmingham during daytime.

• Dec 10, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I'm proud of coming from the more rougher parts of Erdington. It has made me more street smart and more aware of my surroundings. I go to work everyday in Four Oaks yet i feel the people there have missed out because they wont be able to go out at night safe etc. I love my area, people here a real and down to earth. They understand the real world and yes at night its not the best and we do have our share of Chavs and druggies but its a part of life; experiencing different types of people, the wealthy and the poor and those with differnt cultures. Being from Erdington has made me a more a considerate person and i never take anything for granted. It had made me work harder and strive for success (im a Pharmacist). I think everyone should experience even for a little while how the other half lives. Maybe we'll be better people.

• leics's Profile Photo
      Aug 6, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Welcome to VT. Very few people will see your comment on a thread at the bottom of the travel guide. You need to re-post your question on the VT Birmingham travel forum where you should get some helpful replies. You can use the 'Instant Answers' box above this thread or just go straight to the forum here:

Birmingham Travel Forum

• Sep 26, 2014 at 12:50 AM

I have lived in Birmingham all my life, Castle vale for well over twenty years and now in Sutton Coldfield, near falcon lodge for the last 14 years and i can say hand on heart i have always felt safe to walk the streets of these areas both day and night. It seems that the reputations of these places are built on comments made by people who have never lived there and while i accept they are not perfect and incidents of crime do occur just like everywhere else, i find the suggestion from one of the comments above that people walk around in packs looking to attack anyone or anything is just ridiculous. In all my time in these places i have never been attacked or muggedor even threatened. The worst i have had is my car broken into. Give these places a chance and dont believe some of the rumours.

Other Warnings and Dangers in Birmingham