Coventry Restaurants

by grayfo

Most Recent Restaurants in Coventry

Old Mill Inn: Chef & Brewer

by grayfo Updated Sep 30, 2012

Family restaurant that operates under the Chef and Brewer chain the Old Mill Inn is a converted watermill whose origins stretch back to the Doomsday Book, the inn is set in an attractive riverside location by the River Sowe and is a traditional and charming pub restaurant. The food portions whilst not large were of an excellent quality in a very popular restaurant.

Monday to Saturday: 12:00 pm to 10:00 pm

Lager Shandy - £3.15

• Mahir's Restaurant Ricoh Arena: The fish curry...wow

by jagslakha Written Sep 11, 2011
    Rather smart looking logo

Impressive dining room situated at the side of the casino, with a dark wood and red/brown leather scheme going on, and some interesting statues.

Really friendly staff who happily explained the items on the menu we didn't understand.
    Asked us questions about what we liked and made some recommendations that we took.

Its in a Casino, but don't let that put you off, there are 2 bars inside, as well as a showbar and a media lounge that has a 94 inch tv in it!

If your not a into gaming, there's plenty to do on the site after your meal, or you could do what we did, and people watch from the restaurant though the glass screens!

Favorite Dish: Starters:

Between 4 of us we had 2 sharing platters - the samosas and spring rolls were tasty if not a bit standard, but the Malai chicken and the lamb kebabs were very very nice.

Mahir's Fish Curry - absolutely amazing sauce, and the cod is so soft, it just melts in your mouth!

Keema Kofta - lamb meatballs in a spicy tomato gravy - not really into lamb but would most definitely have this again!

Taj Makan Murgh - the waiter told us this is basically authentic butter chicken. it is really creamy and rich, and mild to begin with but has a bit of a bite afterwards, very enjoyable.

Mahir's Mild curry - One of our party does not eat spicy food. the waiter recommended this for her. it is basically roast chicken (but you can have mixed vegetables if you want) cooked in a curry sauce base that has had no spices put in it. it was a pleasant surprise, as even though there was no spices it was very flavoursome.

• Casino and Gambling
    • Music

• Myfanwe's Profile Photo

Wetherspoons: Great food, great prices

by Myfanwe Written May 20, 2010

Wetherspoons in Coventry is housed in a lovely looking Tudor building. It is a huge place inside offering seating on two levels. We really enjoyed our meals here and just as it happened the night we went there was an offer where there was a free drink with a meal off the 'Grill' menu - three meals and drinks came to somewhere in the region of £20.00 - great value for money.

Favorite Dish: The mixed grill was delicious.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

Starbucks: Coffee with Lady Godiva

by grayfo Written Sep 19, 2009

Starbucks is a worldwide chain of coffee shops with branches selling over ten types of coffee, including cappuccino, latte and mocha. They also sell a selection of sandwiches, croissants, cakes and muffins.

This branch is everything you’d expect from a Starbucks. Good coffee, some nice looking cakes and a busy chatty atmosphere. Being the only Starbucks in the city centre this has become a victim of its own success and is always too full and busy.

Esquires Coffee: More than just Coffee

by grayfo Updated Sep 18, 2009

Esquires has its origins in Canada and was introduced to England in 2000, all its English stores use its own proprietary fresh roasted blend of fair-trade certified coffee.

Esquires combines good coffee, good cakes and good people watching in a relaxed atmosphere.

email stevenp@esquirescoffee.co.uk

Chats: Keeping it simple

by grayfo Written Sep 17, 2009

Known for its lovely coffee and meals at affordable prices, you can relax and chat at this family run coffee shop that caters for couples, families or singletons who wish to escape the hustle and bustle of busy shopping areas.

email chatscatering@hotmail.com

Millsy's Cafe Bar: Munching at Millsy’s

by grayfo Written Aug 31, 2009

At weekends Millsy’s is full by 8:00pm, a very popular bar in the heart of Earlsdon. During the day Millsy’s is great for breakfast, lunch or just coffee with friends. In the evening the pizza, pasta and grill selections have something to suit all tastes.

email reservations@millsys.co.uk

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

The Flying Standard: A large, but fine chain pub

by Airpunk Written Sep 7, 2008

The Flying Standard

People who have visited the one or other chain pub won't be surprised about what's going on here. Some may even know the menu by heart and some others are against visiting these kind of location as they have lost the authenticity of the good old english pub. But in times of globalization , there are times when you just want to be sure of what you get. And with the Flying Standard, I get the standard of a J.D. Wetherspoon pub at a very central location. No f…n' dresscode, no uncomfortable atmosphere – just some bar food and a pint of Stella. The bar staff was very friendly and the food really fine. So, whatelse do you want to relax while you wait for your coach?

Favorite Dish: I had a veggie burger and two pints of lager. It was right what I needed after having walked all the way from the airport into the city - and the right thing before falling asleep in the coach...

• Tumeric Gold: Don't ask for water!

by meredithl Updated Aug 9, 2008

This restaurant has won awards but I am at a loss to understand why. The waiting staff were cold and superior and the food was average. Although we were drinking wine the waiting staff refused to bring us a jug of water - insisting only that we purchased mineral water which we found unnecessary and not the practice in other restaurants. Not recommended.

• Tumeric Gold: Don't have the starter

by richardkaz Updated Feb 12, 2008

If your idea of a starter is one prawn surrounded by sauce costing £6.15 then this is the place for you. It's over priced and the only reason it wins recognition awards is due to the restaurant giving you a questionnaire asking which is the best restaurant in Coventry with their restaurants name already filled in in the answer section, all they require is for you to sign it.

• nawaz: Avoid at all costs

by nadine33 Written Dec 4, 2007

I have never been to Nawaz before, its an Indian Restaurant based in Far Gosford Street in Coventry, and I had heard that it had previously had a fairly good reputation so I was really looking forward to eating there. It's above an off licence, and being a 'dry' restaurant it was easy enough to grab a bottle of wine before going upstairs. The decor wasn't all that great but it appeared ok. There was a group of 4 guys in the restaurant so I would say that it really catered for singles/couples and those on a tight budget rather than families.

My fiance and I ordered our food, and although not everyone's cup of tea I am a vegetarian and my fiance is a meat eater. I don't people mind people around me eating meat, nor do I object to cooking meat however I do not want to eat it myself. I ordered a vegetarian balti (which yes is on their menu), and my food turned up, I started to eat and found I had a lump of chicken in my mouth. Oh great it didnt kill me, however what if I had a nut allergy and ordered a nut free meal, and then tasted something with nuts in eat, believe me Nawaz would have a major lawsuit on their hands. Did I complain damn right, and I refused to pay for my food and left the restaurant, but not before I was informed by the waitress'es boyfriend that the chef was new and to night was his last night, and that previously the chef had given him a meat curry when he had ordered a veggie one....Yeah right, likely I believe that...If I owned the restaurant and the chef gave out the worng orders then he would get his marching orders. Avoid theis restaurant at all costs...its not worth it!

Favorite Dish: Nothing whatsoever

• denise16's Profile Photo

Tin Angel: Laid Back Lunch

by denise16 Updated Nov 4, 2006

For a laid back lunch of bagels, etc. this cafe-bar at the botom of medevial Spon Street is the palce for you.
    It transforms into a music venue at night.
    I recently revisited this place and sadly it has gone down hill, poor choice of food, dirty and badly run. April 2006

Favorite Dish: Chargrilled vegetable filled bagette no longer available

• ellememe's Profile Photo

Noodle bar: Big generous helpings! Only place for dim sum

by ellememe Written Sep 16, 2006

Nice seating outside cafe atmosphere.
    Generous portions. Good Cantonese food, the servers are generally helpful but the service is not so quick.

My main complaint is that they only have seating upstairs in the evenings and on sundays which is annoying when you are a wheelchair user.

Favorite Dish: The soup noodles here is good- fresh noodles with a springy bite.
    I also like the three roast with rice. Good Cantonese staple food.

• denise16's Profile Photo

Flamingo Bar & Grill: Don't be fooled by the name

by denise16 Updated Jun 21, 2006

I would have associated the name of this new resturant with Spannish food rather than Indian. However, this place is fantastic. They specialise in sizzler style platters.
    Its got a family feel and many people come in family groups, children are welcome. There is also an area to play pool and have a drink. The decore is modern. Gets busy at weekends so booking is advisable.
    Staff are really helpful in explaning the large menu. Don't expect to find your usual Indian favourites. Lots of Punjabi flavours, there is even a selection of punjabi pizzas ~ didn't try so can't say what they are like. Very vibrant place.
    UPDATE Recently revisited this place one evening, our evening was totally spoilt by the level of noise, the music was extremely loud, conversation was impossible and teh attitude of staff/management was "so what, put up with it" well we wont be going there again. JUNE 2006

Favorite Dish: The Jeera rice was great and my favourite main dish is the mini vegetarian combi. Portions are 2 sizes small and regular at £6 or £10 approx. A regular would easily do 2-3 people. A small was too much for me and i came out with a take home box.
    Once you have picked your dish you then select the cooking style, my favourites for the veggie food were chilli style and crsipy vegetables. We also had a dish made from vine leaves (can't remember what it's called) it was great. Slightly more than a typical Indian in the area but well worth it for the size & taste.

The Royal Bengal: Not just a Curry House

by grayfo Updated Jan 6, 2006

The restaurant is a small, neighbourhood Indian restaurant close to the centre of Earlsdon, a suburb of Coventry. The food is excellent and the prices are reasonable. The staff are very friendly and always busy as the restaurant is very popular.

Favorite Dish: Nargis Kebab £3.20
    Tandoori Mixed Grill £7.75

Washed down with Cobra Premium lager

Instant Answers: Coventry

Comments

Coventry Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Coventry restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Coventry sightseeing.