Halifax Restaurants

Bruschetta
    Dessert

Most Recent Restaurants in Halifax

• rosata's Profile Photo

La Tavas Mediterranean Restaurant: Mediterranean Menu, you'll be spoilt for choice!

by rosata Written Sep 3, 2013

This busy, little restaurant has an excellent choice of Mediterranean food including Greek, North African and Middle Eastern dishes.

Our dining experience was as a large group and we were given our own table in a separate area upstairs which suited very well.

Closed on Tuesdays.

Favorite Dish: Our group ordered a wide variety from the menu and I did not hear any complaints whatsoever!

There is a specials board and a fixed price menu as well as the regular menu.

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

La Tavas: Mediterranean Options

by Gillybob Updated Sep 29, 2012

Restaurant interior (downstairs)

This family-run business was our dining choice for Friday evening of the 2012 VT Rushbearing Weekend Meet arranged by Ricky52.

With menu options ranging across the Mediterranean palate, there was plenty for people to choose from and enjoy a meal filled with virtual sunshine!

The restaurant offers a variety of dining options including a la carte, tapas and fixed price as well as offering takeaway and deli solutions.

I enjoyed three courses from the fixed price menu (£14.95); the fixed price menu is changed on a monthly basis, so return visits mean you can expect new options on the menu.

As our party was large, service was sometimes slow, but no less than could be expected with a large group.

The restaurant was consistently busy throughout the evening of our visit.

RESTAURANT OPEN :
    Tuesday to Thursday : 12:00 - 14:00 & 18:00 - 21:30
    Friday : 12:00 - 14:00 & 18:00 - 22:00
    Saturday : 18:00 - 22:00

Closed : Sunday and Monday

Favorite Dish: My three courses were each delicious; my bruschette starter was fresh, inviting and delicious. The duo of pork and pork sausage served with mushroom and a small salad was a taste sensation.

• Festivals

Barum Top Inn: Typical Weatherspoons – good value and spacious

by toonsarah Updated Sep 19, 2012

Dirty Dicks (NOT the Barum Top!)

As our group of VTers started to gather at the hotel on Friday, some of us decided that lunch would be a good idea. We set off for Dirty Dick’s pub, as recommended by Sue (suvanki). But it was already after 2.00 pm, when they stop serving meals there. A shame, as it looked a great old pub – lots of character and an interesting history (read Sue’s tip for more on this pub). So we asked some locals in the pub where we might get a meal, and they suggested the local Weatherspoons, Barum Top Inn, and gave us directions. We headed further up the hill and found it just where they had said – and importantly, serving food!

Favorite Dish: This is a typical Weatherspoons (a wide-spread, good-value chain in the UK). There was lots of space and we managed to get a large table for our group. The menu was the same as you get in all Weatherspoons pubs, which means a good mix of classic pub favourites, with something for everyone, at very good prices. I chose a jacket potato with tuna mayonnaise, wanting something not too substantial, but the potato was large and it proved quite filling, though tasty. I also had a small glass of white wine. I didn’t note the price but it was very reasonable, as is always the case in a Weatherspoons.

I also seem not to have taken any photos (too busy catching up with everyone I suspect!) so my main picture is of Dirty Dicks – the carved wood beam was taken from the shipwrecked HMS Newcastle, so with my Newcastle connections I had to photograph it!

After lunch I had a short walk through the town, but the weather was drizzly so again I didn’t take many photos, and soon took shelter in a Caffe Nero as I was need of my espresso fix! Then it was back to the hotel to rest and get ready for the evening.

If you’re following the weekend in chronological order, click here for my next tip, Friday evening’s dinner.

La Tavas: Great company, great food

by toonsarah Written Sep 19, 2012

On our first evening in Halifax Ricky52 had booked a table for us in the upstairs room of this Greek / Mediterranean restaurant in the King Cross area of the city. We took taxis from our hotel (not expensive) and arrived earlier than the staff had been expecting, but the welcome was very friendly and it was no problem to be shown to our table straight away. So we settled in (it was just a little cosy with slightly too many of us than the table could comfortably hold – a good job we were all friends!) and ordered drinks, then started to peruse the extensive menu in between catching up on all the news and VT gossip!

Favorite Dish: There is a really good selection here, with all the usual Greek favourites (kebabs, moussaka etc) but far more besides. It was really hard to choose – although maybe that had something to do with the above-mentioned news and gossip! In the end I opted to share some starters with others – dips and pitta bread with Valentina, and dolmades with Lesley. The latter were rather unusual as they had butternut squash in the filling – rather good! And the dips include a well-flavoured black olive tapenade in addition to the usual Greek hummus, tzatziki and taramasalata.

For my main course I chose sea bass fillets, which were excellent – “served on baked new potatoes, olives & dill, topped with a tomato, red pepper & caper salsa”. One of the best fish dishes I have had for a long time! It was also reasonably light, so I was able to manage a dessert. Our waitress read out a list, rather than bring a menu, so it was hard to take in the options (especially as several were in limited supply) But I decided on something I had never heard of and now can’t quite remember the name of – a sort of lemon semifreddo served in a slice, lightly grilled and laid on a plate of fresh fruit salad. It was refreshing and rich at the same time – unusual!

All in all I was very impressed with this restaurant. Service was not fast but they coped well with the size of our group and were patient when we dithered over what to eat. And the food, especially my sea bass, was first rate. I can’t remember exactly what I paid but I know it was good value. I would certainly come here again.

If you’re following the weekend in chronological order, click here for my next tip, our first activity of Saturday morning.

La Taverna at the Wool Merchant Hotel: Huge portions and pretty tasty

by toonsarah Written Sep 19, 2012

Calamari

On the Saturday evening of the Rushbearing meeting we ate at the restaurant in our hotel, the Wool Merchant. A table had been reserved for our group in the room used for breakfast, rather than in the main restaurant, so I didn’t see much of that, apart from a brief foray with Lesley to check the board listing the wines available. It looked cosy and quite dark (well, it is in the basement) – a nice place to eat in the winter perhaps but a little gloomy for summer. But it was a brief glimpse!

The breakfast room by contrast is light, and adorned with what can only be described a bizarre mix of paintings – reproductions of old masters poorly framed, a couple of floral still life efforts, and a large painting of horses leaping through the rapids on a river! The plasterwork “beams” that hold up the ceiling have been painted in one of the worst attempts at imitating wood that I think I’ve ever seen!

Favorite Dish: But we didn’t spend much time looking at the décor, but focused on chat, a few drinks, and the menu. We were given the same regular menu as was on offer in the restaurant, and it had a comprehensive selection, though vegetarians beware! Some of the dishes marked as suitable for you actually contain meat – bacon in one case, chicken in another – very odd!

I chose the calamari as my starter, which came in a very generous portion – a bit too filling for a first course really. It was reasonably tasty however, if a little stodgy (breadcrumb coating a little too thick). I then had the penne al’arrabiata which unusually included pepperoni slices (again, vegetarians watch out!) but was very well-flavoured indeed. I also had a green salad, which was excellent – fresh green leaves, cucumber, strips of crunchy green pepper and a generous smattering of caper berries, which I love.

After dinner (no room for dessert, by the way), most of us retired to the bar next door and relaxed over a few more drinks. It was disappointing though that the bar was closed relatively early for a hotel – I’m sure more drinks would have been bought and consumed had they not done so. Still, it was a lovely evening with VT friends, and the meal was good value (even if I can’t quite remember the price).

If you’re following the weekend in chronological order, click here for my next tip, our Sunday morning visit to one of the iconic sights of Halifax.

• suvanki's Profile Photo

La Tavas - Mediterranean Restaurant: Friendly Family Run Mediterranean

by suvanki Written Sep 14, 2012

My Greek board

Ricky52 had arranged this family run restaurant for our Friday night meal. He'd also organised a couple of mini bus taxis to get us there, as it was quite a distance from our hotel, in the King Cross area of Halifax.

We arrived early, and were glad to enter this warm and cosy restaurant, where delicious smells were wafting in the air. The restaurant was quite full, but we had been given our own room upstairs. (which was a good move, as the decibel levels from our party were quite high at times)!

An enticing menu of dishes from Spain, Greece, North Africa, Turkey, Italy and Middle East. See the website for an idea of their dishes - the menu changes regularly as all dishes are created 'from scratch' There is a set meal menu and Specials board.

As usual, I had trouble choosing - Not because I'm a picky eater - I just wanted to try everything!!!

In the end I decided to go with the Greek board, which I was more than happy with - I declined a starter option, but chose a dessert.

All in All, a very enjoyable meal - Top Notch food, reasonable prices, friendly efficient staff and lovely atmosphere.
    I'd certainly eat here again.

There are a few tables outside on the pavement. This also serves as the smoking area.

King Cross Road is quite a busy road (it was the main road to Manchester at one time) with an abundance of Take-Aways. (some of dubious quality according to our local expert)!

La Tavas also prepares meals to take away - I Just made a note of this - next time I visit Halifax, I'll order their Moussaka, and remember to make a space in my freezer!
    They also sell their own produced chutneys/oils/vinegars etc - which I just found out about while checking their web page.
    Guess I could be back before Christmas!

Cross the road from La Tavas, and at night, You can just spot the illuminated Wainhouse Tower over the roof tops of King Cross Road

Closed Sunday & Monday

- Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday 12.00 - 14.00 & 18.00 - 21.30

- Friday 12.00 - 14.00 & 18.00 - 22.00

- Saturday 18.00 - 22.00

Favorite Dish: I was pleased that I'd chosen the Greek Board - a selection of tapas/mezze size delicacies.

I particularly enjoyed the mini dish of moussaka - next time I'd have this as a main course - Ooooh drooling at the memory of this!

Also, a tasty chicken kebab, well flavoured sausage, feta cheese salad, grilled halloumi cheese, black olives, tzatziki, hummous and selection of breads.

For dessert I enjoyed a pannatone with fruit

Tap water on the table, with a good selection of wines and beer.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• suvanki's Profile Photo

La Taverna: Mediterranean cuisine

by suvanki Updated Sep 14, 2012

Carlos/ La Taverna Entrance

This restaurant is located in the Wool Merchants Hotel, where we first stayed for Ricky52's Fish Chips and Mushy Peas VT weekend meet in September 2008.

La Taverna has been open for over 20 years, serving authentic Italian food to guests and non-residents, it is known locally as Halifax's best kept secret.

We enjoyed breakfast here each morning, and on the Saturday night, we had our meal in the restaurant, which had been arranged between Ricky and the restaurant.

An extensive menu of Italian specialities (I've just removed the menu from 2008)

Daily Specials from the blackboard

Selection of Italian and Australian wines ( plus from Chile, France and Argentina), champagne, Draught Beers and lagers-Nastro Azzuro, John Smiths, Kronenbourg, Fosters, Guinness
    Spirits and liquors

Coffees and hot chocolate

Bottled beers and soft drinks available from the bar

Service Charge not included
    All major credit/debit cards accepted

Available for weddings/ conferences/office parties etc

Free Car Parking opposite the Restaurant

UPDATE Sept 2012

Having enjoyed a meal here during our 2010 VT meet, and again at Easter 2012 with Phil, Ricky and Sheila, I was looking forward to our evening meal here on the Saturday night.

The Wool Merchants has recently changed hands, and there are plans for an Indian restaurant here in the near future. I'm not sure if this will be an addition to the Italian or a replacement.

We were given our own room - the breakfast room, which suited us. A place that we could relax and chatter/take photos of food etc :-)

Well, the extensive menu had me 'chopping and changing my mind' I eventually chose a starter and main, which were both off the menu that night, so a quick change of mind again!

I really enjoyed my starter of bruschetta with goats cheese, however I didn't enjoy my (huge) bowl of pasta so much - it was quite bland.

We moved into the bar afterwards for a few drinks and a chat, there was a wedding party there too, so we were surprised that the bar closed at 23.00 - 1, because it would have made financial sense for the hotel to serve us and 2, we were all guests/residents in a hotel!

Will be interesting to see how these changes affect our planned stay for other meets.

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

La Taverna - Mediterranean Cuisine: Huge Portions! Small Prices!

by spidermiss Updated Sep 7, 2012

La Taverna Mediterranean Cuisine, Halifax

We, VTers, had our evening meal, on the Saturday night, at La Taverna, part of the Wool Merchant Hotel. We more or less had an area of the restaurant to ourselves and it was nice catching up with one another and reflecting on the day's activities.

There is a wide range of Mediterranean and Italian dishes available to choose from and a selection of wines, beers and spirits from its bar. I noted there was a bit of a mix up with the labelling of vegetarian dishes (one of dishes labelled vegetarian contained meat!) so please look out for that when ordering.

I thorough enjoyed my meal and the quality of food was amazing! I considered it good value for money especially that the portions for what I ordered were large. I was glad that I didn't order a starter or dessert before or after my main course! It was nice sharing a wonderful evening meal with fellow VTers.

I look forward to returning to the restaurant on a future stay at the Wool Merchants Hotel.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the Prosciutto and Funghi pizza (6.50 gbp) and mixed salad (1.50). 9.00 gbp including service charge/tip (September 2012).

I ordered a glass of white wine from the bar and cost me 3.70 gbp (September 2012).

DIRTY DICKS: JUST PASSING THROUGH

by alyf1961 Written Sep 3, 2012

Suvanki (Sue), Gillybob (Gilly), Toonsarah (Sarah), Macadonia (Valentina), Benson35 (Hayley, Roam (Lesley) and I went in search of lunch on the first day of the Rushbearing's Halifax meet 2012. Sue and Gilly decided on Dirty Dick's. We got a bit lost and Sue asked a guy if he lived locally, he said no but if he could help he would. Sue said we were looking for Dirty Dick's, The guy laughed, said sorry and walked off, we found it anyway.
    It looked quite nice inside and there were a few people in the bar but they had stopped serving food at 2pm. We left and went to Wetherspoons.

Next time I am in Halifax I might go again next time before 2pm.

• DAO's Profile Photo

SUGAR 'N' SPICE AND ALL STUFF ICED: NEW TEA ROOM !

by DAO Updated Sep 3, 2012
    SUGAR 'N' SPICE AND ALL STUFF ICED

I was fortunate to have come across this delightful and new Tea Room with VT (Super) Member - MacdeonianUK. I was attracted to the 'All stuff iced' in hope of finding an Iced Tea. I think the heat had me a bit delirious. What we did fond was a delightful Family-run business and it was their opening day! They have redecorated a derelict shop front and created a nice looking tea room. The décor is a cross between eclectic collections of fine china and an antique shop. The service was polite and helpful. What I liked (a lot) was that my coffee was massive. And well done. MacedonianUK had traditional Tea and Scones with fruit jam and cream. She said it was fantastic. And she knows good food. We had a very nice break and a quiet chat in this lovely environment. Even their toilet is well decorated and appealing.

Their specialty is cupcakes. Lots of them and with a large variety of decorations, flavours and styles. The family sitting next to us raved about how fresh and tasty they were.

VT is always happy to help new and exciting businesses. So if you find yourself in Sowerby Bridge – please stop by for a nice coffee or tea. It’s well worth discovering.

• Women's Travel
    • Seniors

COSTA COFFEE: My Favourite coffee shop

by alyf1961 Written Sep 3, 2012

During the 2012 Rushbearing meet organised by Ricky52, Valentina and I went to Costa for a coffee after a walk around the Woolshops shopping centre.
    I had my usual Latte and Valentina had one of the new Caramella drinks which she liked because it was very sweet having a caramel base and a caramel sauce zigzagged on the top.

Favorite Dish: Latte

LA TAVAS: THE BEST GREEK EVER

by DAO Updated Sep 2, 2012
    THE HALF GREEK BOARD

La Tavas calls itself a Mediterranean restaurant. I call it the best Greek food I have ever had outside of Greece - and better than most in Greece! The food here is simply stunning. They also offer an amazing range of menu options. From the sumptuous À la carte menu, to Tapas, a fixed price menu (2 or 3 course) and Deli. And if that wasn't all delicious enough, there is also a Specials Board to tempt your tastebuds. They also do Takeaway if you want to enjoy your food at home. Reservations are recommended - especially on weekends. Its a small restaurant so don't miss out. The service was excellent and they are proud to be a family-run business.

You can also register on their website for exclusive offers.

They are open:
    Tuesday - Thursday 12pm - 2pm, 6pm - 9.30pm
    Friday 12pm - 2pm, 6pm - 10pm
    Saturday 6pm - 10pm

Favorite Dish:
    I enjoyed a shefalia starter. Large Cypriot sausages without casings. Then I had the Greek Board - a stunning value at £12.50pp. It includes:
    Tzatziki, houmous, olives, chicken kebab, shefalia, moussaka, chargrilled haloumi cheese, dolmades, a greek salad and mixed breads. Wow! The small moussaka alone was fantastic. It contained minced lamb, flavoured with red wine, cinnamon & mint, topped with aubergines, béchamel sauce and cheese. That's the description on the menu and I have never seen such a small dish pack so much taste. Everything they do is pure quality. Lovely!

Please note - if you want the massive Full Greek Board - you have to order 1 day ion advance.

• Luxury Travel

AJ's FISH & CHIP RESTAURANT: WHOPPING BIG FISH

by DAO Updated Sep 2, 2012

FISH AND CHIPS !

Fancy some good fish and chips with mushy peas and a good bottle of wine? AJ's is a family run restaurant and can offer up to 60 hungry people a nice setting to have a good fried fish supper and a few adult beverages as well. In addition to plaice and haddock, they also offer fish stews, sometimes moules mariniere and a few burger and vegetarian options. Its interior is bright, modern and welcoming. The staff are super nice and very helpful. They also offer a takeaway service as well as restaurant dinning. They have special offers, including 2 for 1 offers on Wednesday evenings and discounts for OAPs'.

Opening hours: Restaurant 11.30am - 8.30pm 7 days a week. Take-away 11:30am - 9:00pm 7 days a week.

Favorite Dish:
    Large Haddock and chips. Then a sprinkle of salt and drown the chips in vinegar. Wash it down with a cold beer.

• Singles

THE BARNUM TOP INN: Good old Wetherspoons

by alyf1961 Written Aug 31, 2012

After checking into The Wool Merchants Hotel in Halifax Gilly, Sue, Sarah, Valentina, hayley, Lesley and I set out in search of Lunch. After being dissapointed by Dirty Dick's not serving food after 2pm we found a Wetherspoons. The food was very nice, I had beefburger and a beer (Carling and black). The waitress was friendly and the prices cheap (4.99 for burger and a pint of lager). Wetherspoons are an institution in the UK, good cheap food and pleasant surroundings.

This pub which was once a garage opened in 1999.

Mon - Thu: 8am to 12am
    Fri - Sat: 8am to 1am
    Sun: 8am to 12am

• ricky52's Profile Photo

Pizza Hut: Still the best Pizza's

by ricky52 Written Jan 7, 2012

Pizza Hut

The usual stuff you can get from any Pizza Hut.

We used to go here a lot at one time, but sad to say, because of the ice cream factory thingy, it is always over crowded with kids.

Favorite Dish: A selection of the usual fare plus, the odd special every now and then.

We love "The Sicilian" when they put it on as a special.
    The Pizza crust is stuffed with fresh herbs.

Instant Answers: Halifax

Comments

Halifax Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Halifax restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Halifax sightseeing.