Halifax Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Halifax

• DAO's Profile Photo

AJ's FISH & CHIP RESTAURANT: WHOPPING BIG FISH

by DAO Updated Sep 2, 2012

Fancy some good fish and chips with mushy peas and a good bottle of wine? AJ's is a family run restaurant and can offer up to 60 hungry people a nice setting to have a good fried fish supper and a few adult beverages as well. In addition to plaice and haddock, they also offer fish stews, sometimes moules mariniere and a few burger and vegetarian options. Its interior is bright, modern and welcoming. The staff are super nice and very helpful. They also offer a takeaway service as well as restaurant dinning. They have special offers, including 2 for 1 offers on Wednesday evenings and discounts for OAPs'.

Opening hours: Restaurant 11.30am - 8.30pm 7 days a week. Take-away 11:30am - 9:00pm 7 days a week.

Favorite Dish:
    Large Haddock and chips. Then a sprinkle of salt and drown the chips in vinegar. Wash it down with a cold beer.

FISH AND CHIPS !
    • Singles

• alyf1961's Profile Photo

THE BARNUM TOP INN: Good old Wetherspoons

by alyf1961 Written Aug 31, 2012

After checking into The Wool Merchants Hotel in Halifax Gilly, Sue, Sarah, Valentina, hayley, Lesley and I set out in search of Lunch. After being dissapointed by Dirty Dick's not serving food after 2pm we found a Wetherspoons. The food was very nice, I had beefburger and a beer (Carling and black). The waitress was friendly and the prices cheap (4.99 for burger and a pint of lager). Wetherspoons are an institution in the UK, good cheap food and pleasant surroundings.

This pub which was once a garage opened in 1999.

Mon - Thu: 8am to 12am
    Fri - Sat: 8am to 1am
    Sun: 8am to 12am

• ricky52's Profile Photo

Pizza Hut: Still the best Pizza's

by ricky52 Written Jan 7, 2012

The usual stuff you can get from any Pizza Hut.

We used to go here a lot at one time, but sad to say, because of the ice cream factory thingy, it is always over crowded with kids.

Favorite Dish: A selection of the usual fare plus, the odd special every now and then.

We love "The Sicilian" when they put it on as a special.
    The Pizza crust is stuffed with fresh herbs.

Pizza Hut

The Moorlands Inn: Good Food- Reasonably Priced

by suvanki Updated Jul 12, 2011

This was the location, chosen by Valentina (MacedonianUK) for our Sunday Lunch VT meet. It was a great venue, especially as the weather was so good, that we could eat outside. (West Yorkshire in June, this can't be guaranteed!)

The Moorlands Inn prides itself on Traditional Home Cooking, with local produce where possible. Judging by the number of diners that were there at our visit, it is a popular place. I'm glad that Valentina had reserved a table for us.
    The decor is quite traditional -'Olde Worlde' pub style, with dark wood furnishings, exposed beams and open fires. Different dining areas around the pub, including a raised area, where we sat to begin with.
    If you're eating outside, you're expected to pay when ordering from the bar.

Selection of draught (including Black Sheep )and bottled ales and lagers. Wines, spirits and soft drinks. I'm afraid that I didn't notice which other beers were stocked -I was driving, so stuck to a couple of J2O's -which came to about £1.85 each.

The menu is quite extensive - (see the website below, for up to date choices and prices).

The Sunday Menu offered 9 starters(£3.50-£5.50) ,
    8 Sharing starters (£4.50-£6.95),
    10 Traditional Pub Food Main courses (£7.95-£9.50)
    6 Gourmet Burgers (£8.25-£8.95)
    Hot/Cold Sandwiches/baguettes, Panninis and wraps- a variety of fillings- all £5.50
    5 Salad Bowl - (£8.50-£9.50)
    8 Jackets -(£3.50- £5.95)
    15 Side dishes (£1 -£4.95)
    Childrens Menu - 7 choices ranging from £4.95 -£6.50 - selected dishes can be ordered as a toddler portion for £3.50

There was also a selection of 10 hot and cold desserts and Ice Cream from £2.95-£4.95

Early Bird Menu -1500-1900 Monday to Friday - selected main meals £5
    SUNDAY MENU served12 NOON-21.00hrs
    Mon - Sat Menu served 12.00 -21.00hrs.

Free Car Parking
    Childrens Playground
    Quiz nights - 2100hrs Monday, Wednesday and Thursdays
    Live Music on Fridays - see website for listings

Bed and Breakfast from £35

Favorite Dish: I thoroughly enjoyed my meal, and thought that it was good value for money. I don't usually eat 3 courses, especially at lunch time, but I wolfed it all down. The portions are quite generous too!

For starters, Valentina and I had a sharing starter of a Bread Board of Herb Focaccia, Balsamic Vinegar and Olive Oil with Fresh Marinated Olives - £4.95 The Focaccia was oven warmed, with a lovely fragrance. (pic 2)
    My main course I decided to be traditional, and have Home-roasted Topside of Beef with Yorkshire Pudding, roast potatoes and fresh vegetables - £8.50 The meat was delicious, and very tender (Pic 3)
    I nearly passed by on a dessert, but once I saw that there was locally produced Ice Cream, I decided to go for the large mixed Ice cream - £4.95.
    'Just Jenny's Farmhouse Ice Cream is made in nearby Barkisland.
    Apparently, if you are too full for dessert, Take Away puddings are available.

UPDATE - July 2011
    Re-visited here for late Sunday Lunch with Gillybob and alyf1961, not intentionally, it was the first place that we spotted between Harworth and Halifax.
    It was still very busy, and still offers an extensive menu at a reasonable price.
    This time I opted for The Chefs salad (pic 5)- which included home roasted ham, beef and chicken with prawn and tuna mayonaise and grated cheddar cheese for £9.95 - This was very filling!

The Moorlands Inn - VTers are fed and watered! The Moorlands Inn - sharing starter - Delicious The Moorlands Inn  Traditional Sunday Roast dinner The Moorlands Inn - Local ice cream - Mmmmmm! Moorlands Inn - Chefs Salad

• Suet's Profile Photo

Jumbo Buffet: BEST chinese buffet!

by Suet Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is an all you can eat place. Not that I would suggest that you stuff your fizzog. However, it is definitely THE place for choice and variety and rather delicious dishes. You go in and sit down and are given a knife fork and spoon. The waitress arrives with a plate. You then go for starters. Choose what you want and return to your seat. All are delicious. Then the waitress gives you a clean plate so you go back for mains. Again,... completely delicious. You go back as many times as you wish. Change of plate to bowl, then it is dessert, so many to choose from. I saw delighted kids run back and forth from the ice cream section!

One good thing is that this restaurant is never empty. They have different prices ranges according to the hour you enter the restaurant. Drinks are not expensive... I think three people only cost me £27 including two drinks each which is amazing!

Favorite Dish: I love the mushrooms, the honeyed chicken, the satay sticks.

outside closer outside

• mickeyboy07's Profile Photo

Yates's: Simple but nice

by mickeyboy07 Written Mar 7, 2011

Situated in the heart of the town centre is yates's wine lodge serving fine ales and wines and good food,its a bit smaller than your usual Yates's but has nice decor and a friendly atmosphere,its also very good value for money.

Favorite Dish: Classic beef burger and chips with salad that comes with a free drink of your choice,my partner had the bacon and cheese panini,both were very nice and great value.

Entrance The Bar Classic burger

• suvanki's Profile Photo

The Shears Inn: Halifax's Hidden Secret!

by suvanki Updated Oct 26, 2010

The Shears Inn was the venue for a mini VT meet 'MacedonianUK is in Town' on Sunday October 24th 2010. Ricky52 found this 'hidden gem' and booked a table for him and Sheila (Mrs Ricky), Margaret (Mustertal), Rob (Gwynfiguy), Valentina (MacedonianUk) and her daughter Frosina. BarneyUK, the UK VT mascot attended as Suvankis VA.
    It was a great choice!

The Shears Inn, at Paris Gates, is one of the most famous and oldest inns in Halifax-a sign outside dates it at 1664! It featured in the film 'The Dresser'(1983) starring Albert Finney, Tom Courtenay and Edward Fox.

Shears is located next to an ancient pack-horse bridge, known as “Boy’s Bridge” which crosses the former canal and the Hebble Brook.
    It is reached "along the cobbled streets in the shadow of Holdsworth’s Shaw Lodge Mills complex".

As it is a bit difficult to find, we all met up at the train station, then followed Rickys car.

In the nineteenth century the Shears was the social spot for workers from the nearby mills. One of the nearby Mills, has recently been converted into apartments, which will no doubt bring more trade to this traditional pub.

Access to the pub is by descending a few wooden steps -I'm not sure if there is an alternative for anyone with mobility problems.

Entering the lounge, you are met by a welcoming fire in the centre of the room. In the summer there is seating outside. There is a covered smoking shelter, with seating, outside too

It is a Free House, and the well stocked bar serves draught Ales-
    Timothy Taylor’s Landlord Bitter (and Golden Best)-usually stocking Moorhouses, Copper Dragon and White Horse Beers. Five classic lagers. Strongbow Cider. John Smith’s Smooth, as well as a selection of wines, spirits and soft drinks.

Open daily: 11.30 am – 12.00pm
    Food is served Friday-Saturday 11.30 -14.00 and 17.30 -20.00. Sunday: 12.00 – 16.00

The Sunday Lunch menu is good value- 1 course- £6.99, 2 Courses - £8.99 and 3 courses- £9.99
    The menu has a variety of dishes including some unusual ones!

A choice of 6 starters - Melissas Homemade Stilton, Celery and apple soup, Prawn Cocktail,BBQ Chicken Satay, Creamy Garlic Mushrooms, Yorkshire Puddings with onion gravy, and the black pudding salad, which I chose.

5 main roasts -including Home Roast Beef, Home Roasted Ham, Braised Steak, Lamb Henry, Sausages and Mash. These are served with new potatoes, roast potatoes and seasonal vegetables. Also a choice of 4 Homemade pies-Steak and Mushroom,Steak and Stilton,Steak and potato and Corned Beef - served as above, or with chips and mushy peas.

10 choices of dessert- Ice cream Sundae, Sticky Toffee Pudding, Cinnamon Peach and Pear Crumble with custard, Apple Pie and custard, Hot Chocolate Fudge Cake, Chocolate Pudding with Chocolate Sauce, Treacle Sponge and Custard, Rhubarb Crumble and Custard, Movenpick Luxury Ice Cream and Meringue Nests with fruit and Ice Cream.

(Smaller portions/lower prices (minus £2) available for children)

There is also a Tea time Tapas Menu, with offers including- buy 4 dishes, get 1 free, or Buy 5 tapas and a bottle of wine for £20. I think individual dishes were an average price of £3.50

There are other pubs in and around Halifax known as The Shears, so remember this is Shear Inn, Paris Gates!
    Apparently Paris Gates, is thought to be a corruption of Parish Gates, which was an entrance into Halifax.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed a starter of warm salad of black pudding and crispy bacon, which was served with lettuce, tomato and cucumber, with a light drizzle of English mustard. (pic3)

For my main course I had Home made Steak and Mushroom pie, which was a shortcrust pastry, packed with plenty of meat and mushrooms in a rich gravy. This was served with chips and Mushy peas. (pic4)This was very filling, but I managed a dessert- Rhubarb crumble and custard, (pic5) which was a nice ending to my meal.

This was washed down with a 1/2 pint of Timothy Taylors Landlord.

The Shears Inn The well stocked bar! My starter-Black pudding and bacon salad Steak and mushroom pie, chips and mushy peas Rhubarb Crumble and Custard

Las Cuevas - The Caves: Spanish Tapas Restaurant

by suvanki Updated Aug 26, 2010

UPDATE-AS FROM AUGUST 1ST 2010, THIS RESTAURANT HAS CEASED TRADING - HOWEVER, THEY ARE NOW OPERATING AT TEQUILA, WHICH IS NEARBY. (WE'VE BOOKED HERE FOR OUR VT MEET -FRIDAY NIGHT MEAL)

PLEASE DON'T RATE THIS TIP FOR LAS CUEVAS

- I'M LEAVING IT ON VT FOR THE PHOTOS FROM OUR VT MEET

This restaurant had only opened less than a week ago, and I nearly missed it!

Sunday night, a few VTers had stopped on from the 'Fish Chips and Mushy Peas' Weekend. I was starting to lag, and was still full from our excellent Traditional Sunday Lunch, and was torn between another night out (at the planned Chinese Buffet, where I would probably eat far too much) with my new VT friends, or getting an early night ready for our long day ahead on Monday. After walking round the streets of Halifax , looking at the buildings etc with Angiebabe, I'd decided to have a night in, with the option of joining the crowd for drinks later.

Ricky52 and Sheila arrived at the hotel and announced they'd found this place with Tapas!!!!

Plan B came into operation- After waving Ricky, Sheila, Hansi, Lori Pori, Stephanie, Gerry, Poons, Suet, Royslaven off, it was a quick shower and change, then a quick drink at the bar, while I waited for Angiebabe and a taxi.

The owner of the Hotel shook her head and said that it was 'in a rough area'

The taxi driver arrived promptly, but seemed surprised that we were heading to this area!

As we pulled onto the street he indicated 2 buildings that looked closed, I was wondering if we were in the right place, but I had their flyer in my hand.

Luckily, we soon spotted the restaurant, and its bright lights shining through the plate glass windows.

This was quite impressive - A wide staircase leads up to the dining area, subtle lighting illuminated the room and cave like ceiling. At one side was a huge bar, also comfy seating areas and a mezzanine. The food smelt wonderful!

It wasn't difficult to find 'our lot' The waitress quickly arranged a table at the end of their row.

Everyone was enjoying the food- Sheila was raving about the sardines, and sent some down for me to try- They were delicious-as fresh as if they'd just been landed! Some patatas bravas appeared too, which were tasty.

There were some language difficulties with ordering, but the staff were friendly, polite and helpful. I asked one of the waiters where he was from and was surprised when he said Istanbul, another claimed to be from China, but I wasn't sure if he was having a joke- it was quite dark.

While dining, a Screen showed Julio Iglasias in concert -(personally I prefer his son!!, but it was pleasant background music) Earlier there had been live music from a keyboard player.

Apparently the restaurant is the brainchild of its owner Farid Eatessami, who brought this former factory, that produced equipment for fish shops, with the intention of creating a restaurant, and hotel (not started yet), with emphasis on Spanish food and culture. As well as authentic food and entertainment, Salsa dances and Salsa/ Argentinian Tango classes are held here-check web site for details.

Prices are very reasonable-please check the website for menus and wine list.
    Take Away service available

Open Tuesday - Sunday from 1700 hours (Doesn't state closing time)

Live Relaxing Music on Weds. Friday, Saturday & Sunday with international Compare KAMY

Large screen showing the Flamingo dancers & musical magic of Latin & Spanish entertainers
    Disco every Friday & Saturday.

Facebook page

Favorite Dish: As I was still full from lunch, I decided to restrain myself and have a bowl of mixed olives, bread and Aioli and oil 'dips'

Angiebabe and I ordered a Tempranillo wine, and were surprised when 2 glasses of white wine appeared, even though we'd pointed to this red wine on the menu - This was changed easily, with no problem.

The olives were delicious, and came with small slivers of garlic (and 1 large piece, that I'd mistaken for lemon peel) The bread was fresh and had a nice flavour- I think I detected a hint of aniseed/caraway? The aioli was fresh and had pieces of raw finely chopped garlic.

One place to definitely return to!!!

Vters dine at Las Cuevas Sunday night The Cave like ceiling - Las Cuevas Halifax Mixed Olives Las Cuevas Halifax Bar and Restaurant Las Cuevas Halifax Bread aioli and olive oil Las Cuevas Halifax
    • Business Travel

Branch Road Inn: Traditional Sunday Lunch

by suvanki Updated Aug 23, 2010

UPDATE -This Restaurant has changed management since our visit, so things might have changed.

Ricky 52 once again had organised a great venue for VTers attending the Fish Chips and Mushy Peas Weekend in Halifax.
    After a morning of clay pigeon shooting in the fresh West Yorkshire air, I'd built up quite an appetite.

The Branch Road Inn , otherwise known as 'The Branch' has quite a reputation for the high quality of their home made meals, and hand - pulled cask ales. (Cask Marque accredited)
    Black Sheep Bitter (From Masham in North Yorks) and Abbot Ale are the regulars, plus one guest ale.

There is also a good selection of wines, lager and bottled drinks.

Open for food

Tuesday-Friday 12 noon - 1400, and 1700 - 1900
    Saturday 12 noon - 2100hrs
    Sunday 12 noon - 2000 hrs. (Carvery 1200 - 1900 hrs)

Monday - open for drinks only.

Outside, there is a pleasant beer garden, with views over the sweeping countryside.

Favorite Dish: It was quite difficult deciding what to choose - everything looked so tempting, but that's the beauty of the Carvery, you can have a bit of whatever you like. As I waited in line, I must have changed my mind a dozen times. Roast Beef? Liver and bacon? Sausage casserole?, the vegetarian option?
    Luckily, the chef was friendly and patient as we all decided on our choices

Some chose a piece of pie and slices of roast meat - (Pork, Beef or Gammon).

I finally settled for the Meat pie, which came with large fluffy Yorkshire puds, chipolato sausages, roasted and mashed (creamed) potatoes, french beans, broccolli and cauliflower cheese.

(My only niggle was that I was a bit disappointed with the cauliflower cheese (which is one of my favourite vegetable dishes) - the cauliflower was just a little undercooked for me, and I prefer a thicker sauce, but this is just my personal taste.

Otherwise, I thought my food was excellent - hot, full of flavour, and well cooked - would certainly come here again, or recommend it to others.

To drink, one of my favourite beers- Black Sheep Bitter - (only a 3.8%) so ideal for a lunchtime drink. (Thanks Sheila!!)

No room for desert, and no time, as we had to rush over to Triangle for the Rushbearing festivities.

CARVERY PRICES

1 course £7.95 (£5.45- childrens) Children also have a choice of free 1/2 pint of Pepsi cola, Diet Cola or lemonade.
    2 courses £10.95 (£7.45)
    3 courses £12.95 (£8.95)

There is also a 'Specials Board' and Bar snack menu.

Plase check out their informative website for more menus etc.

My Sunday Lunch - Mmmmmmmm! Gillybob, Poons, Dao and Ricky in the Beer Garden A selection from the Sunday Carvery Hansi and Gillybob at the Carvery Lori Pori, Stephanie, Gerry and Angiebabe

• Balam's Profile Photo

Shears Inn: Great Old Pub

by Balam Updated Apr 28, 2009

This great little Pub is tucked away behind a Large old mill complex
    Dates from 1664 and is on what was once the main road between Halifax and Huddersfield

Good food great beer and friendly people make this a pub well worth visiting.

Shears Inn Shears Inn Shears Inn Shears Inn

LAS CUEVAS: SUNDAY NIGHT DINNER

by LoriPori Updated Sep 22, 2008

Sunday night dinner was at a brand new restaurant called LAS CUEVAS which means The Caves. The restaurant was decorated to resemble being in a Cave (like the Nerja Caves in southern Spain). There were colourful murals on the wall, depicting Spanish themes. They wanted to make customers feel like they are on holiday with special touches like Patio Umbrellas. Live entertainment was provided by a keyboard player and when he took a break, a big screen TV showed videos from Julio Iglesias crooning away. They also had a large, impressive bar.
    The restaurant offers Tapas, paella, salsa, sangria and wine.
    Hans and I each had Tapas (£4.95) and a side order of patates Bravas (potatoes £2.95) and also ordered a litre bottle of Sangria (£11.50) which was smashin'. It was so fruity tasting that you didn't even notice you were drinking alcohol (until I found myself talking funny).
    Opening hours: Tuesday - Sunday from 5:00 p.m.

Mural at Las Cuevas

PLAZA CAFE' & RESTAURANT: FISH 'N CHIPS

by LoriPori Updated Sep 22, 2008

When we were checking out the location of the Bus Station, we noticed a cute little restaurant right next to the Station. It was called PLAZA CAFE' & RESTAURANT. It advertised a Senior Special which for £5.50 , you got fish n' chips, mushy peas or garden peas, bread & butter and a pot of tea. We made a note of it and went a few days later to try it out. It advertised that it was open until 7:00 p.m. and we came at 5:45, but alas, the fryers were turned off right at 5:30 p.m. Disappointed, we said we'd be back. OK, so we went back another day, this time at 4:45 and indeed ordered the Senior Special which was delicious and good value.

Plaza Cafe Inside the Restaurant Mr plate of Fish 'n Chips

BRANCH ROAD INN & RESTAURANT: SUNDAY LUNCH

by LoriPori Updated Sep 22, 2008

Ricky arranged for us to dine at the BRANCH ROAD INN & RESTAURANT. What a wonderful place, with Old Yorkshire Pub charm and the food was absolutely delicious. The Sunday Buffet or "Carvery" as they call it, was £7.95 if you just had the Mains of which you could choose two.
    The "Mains" included:
    Roast - Beef - Pork - Gammon (Ham)
    Steak & Kidney pie
    Chicken Breast with tomato & Herb Sauce
    Beef Stroganoff
    Liver & Onions
    Sausage Casserole
    Salmon Fillet
    Vegetable Bake
    Broccoli & Cream Cheese

I chose Roast Beef and Steak & Kidney Pie which were both delicious. Along with your "Mains" you could choose side vegetables, of which I chose roasted potatoes, cauliflower and buttered green beans.

Branch Road Inn Carvery Station Roast Beef & Steak & Kidney Pie

LA TAVERNA MEDITERRANEAN CUISINE: SATURDAY NIGHT DINNER

Saturday September 6, 2008
    Our VT dinner Saturday night was held at LA TAVERNA MEDITERRANEAN CUISINE located right inside the Wool Merchant Hotel.
    The meal was £14.95 . Hans and I both had the avocado prawn salad for our starter and Bistecca (Sirloin Steak in a mushroom & pepper sauce) for our main course. The steak was a good size and delicious. They also served plates of seasonal vegetables and potatoes.
    Selection of desserts and Italian coffee with fresh cream.

Hans and I also had on another night Carlo's ham and mushroom pizza which was delicious.

Their bar has an extensive selection of wines from around the world as well as popular beers, spirits and soft drinks.

La Taverna Bistecca - Sirloin Steak in mushroom & Pepper Sauc

CAFE' PASSION MEDITERRANEAN STYLE BISTRO: FRIDAY NIGHT DINNER

by LoriPori Updated Sep 22, 2008

If you are in the mood for Turkish delight, you have to try the family run CAFE' PASSION the restaurant choice for our Friday night VT dinner.
    We were given the upstairs room, which was cozy and intimate. The room sat about 20 people. It was bright, cheery and decorated in reds and blacks.
    This Gourmet Turkish Restaurant offers mixed grill kebabs, stuffed olive leaves, feta & Haloumi Cheese, lamb dishes and also pasta, steak and chicken dishes.
    Hans and I had for our Sicak Mezeler - hot starter - Hellim or Haloumi cheese, which is fresh Cyprus cheese grilled (£4.50 ). I found it quite dry and tasteless.
    For our main course, we both had Meatballs in a tomato sauce (£9.50 ) which was very good. It came in a large bowl, with about six large meatballs in a tasty tomato sauce.

Visit their website for more information about their extensive menu.

Cafe' Passion Pic from Cafe' Passion website

Instant Answers: Halifax

Comments

Halifax Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Halifax restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Halifax sightseeing.