Halifax Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Halifax

Cafe Passion: Family run Mediterranean style Bistro

by suvanki Updated Sep 10, 2008

Adana Kebab -

Ricky 52 had organised a meal here, at one of his favourite restaurants for Friday night, where we had our own private room upstairs.

A large menu of mainly Turkish dishes, freshly prepared.

Between 10.00 -1500 Turkish breakfast (£5) Hot and cold sandwiches, Panninis, Pizza and Jacket potatoes are served.

Cold starters include olives (£2.75) mixed salad, hummus, Turkish feta cheese, Tabule, Dolma (stuffed vine leaves) (between £3 -£3.75) and mixed mezze for 2 (£7.50)

Hot Starters (£2.25 - £5.25) include Soup of the day, Albanian liver, Garlic mushrooms, Sauteed Tiger Prawns or Calimari

Main Courses Include Kebabs, Steak, burgers, chicken (£5.50 - £12.50)

Vegetarian casserole and kebabs (£5.50)

Pasta dishes (£4.50 - £6)

Barbecued Grilled Fish -Sea Bass, Salmon Fillet, Mackeral (£7 - £10)

Salads (£3 - £5)

There is also a Specials board.

Deserts will be listed by your waitress.

Licensed - Various wines, beers (I chose Efes) soft drinks, freshly squeezed juices (£2.00 - £2.75), milk shakes (£2.50 - £3) Ayran - Turkish yogurt drink similar to Indian Lassi - (£1.50 - £2.50)

Tea, coffee, Hot Chocolate (£1.50 - £1.60)

Also offer BYO (Bring Your Own) wine policy - not sure if there's a charge for corkage.

Take Away Service - Free delivery in 2 mile radius for orders over £12

Open Monday- Wednesday 10.00 - 21.00, Thursday - Saturday 10.00 - 23.00 and Sunday 11.00 -21.00.

I'd certainly come here again when I'm next in Halifax. The food was excellent, and the staff were all friendly - the young waitresses coped very well with 20 VTers trying to decide what to eat and drink etc.

Favorite Dish: For my Starter, I shared a mezze (£7.50) with Royslaven - be warned, the portions are delicious but huge!!! Hummus, dolmades, Russian salad, Haloumi cheese, baked beans, olives, Stuffed Fila pastry 'cigars', warm pitta bread, and more - which I can't remember at the moment!

For my main course, I chose an Adana Kebab (£5.50)- spicy lamb shish, which came with rice, and salad - again, as you can see from my photo, they're not mean with the portions, and I'm afraid that I had to leave some, otherwise I would have exploded!

I washed this down with cold and crisp Efes beer (£3)

No room for desert, and I can't remember what the choices were- Didn't want to be tempted!!

All my food was delicious and well presented.

My one slight disappointment was that I'd asked for a Turkish Coffee to end my meal, Apparently this isn't on the menu. In hindsight, I guess that with the high standard of this restaurant, it wouldn't be feasible to make authentic Turkish coffee for individuals, unless there was sufficient demand.
    However, the waitress came back and said they'd make me one! Probably not the best I've tasted, but 10/10 for customer service!!

LA TAVERNA MEDITERRANEAN CUISINE: SATURDAY NIGHT DINNER

La Taverna

Saturday September 6, 2008
    Our VT dinner Saturday night was held at LA TAVERNA MEDITERRANEAN CUISINE located right inside the Wool Merchant Hotel.
    The meal was £14.95 . Hans and I both had the avocado prawn salad for our starter and Bistecca (Sirloin Steak in a mushroom & pepper sauce) for our main course. The steak was a good size and delicious. They also served plates of seasonal vegetables and potatoes.
    Selection of desserts and Italian coffee with fresh cream.

Hans and I also had on another night Carlo's ham and mushroom pizza which was delicious.

Their bar has an extensive selection of wines from around the world as well as popular beers, spirits and soft drinks.

BRANCH ROAD INN & RESTAURANT: SUNDAY LUNCH

Branch Road Inn

Ricky arranged for us to dine at the BRANCH ROAD INN & RESTAURANT. What a wonderful place, with Old Yorkshire Pub charm and the food was absolutely delicious. The Sunday Buffet or "Carvery" as they call it, was £7.95 if you just had the Mains of which you could choose two.
    The "Mains" included:
    Roast - Beef - Pork - Gammon (Ham)
    Steak & Kidney pie
    Chicken Breast with tomato & Herb Sauce
    Beef Stroganoff
    Liver & Onions
    Sausage Casserole
    Salmon Fillet
    Vegetable Bake
    Broccoli & Cream Cheese

I chose Roast Beef and Steak & Kidney Pie which were both delicious. Along with your "Mains" you could choose side vegetables, of which I chose roasted potatoes, cauliflower and buttered green beans.

Las Cuevas - The Caves: Spanish Tapas Restaurant

by suvanki Updated Aug 26, 2010

Vters dine at Las Cuevas Sunday night

UPDATE-AS FROM AUGUST 1ST 2010, THIS RESTAURANT HAS CEASED TRADING - HOWEVER, THEY ARE NOW OPERATING AT TEQUILA, WHICH IS NEARBY. (WE'VE BOOKED HERE FOR OUR VT MEET -FRIDAY NIGHT MEAL)

PLEASE DON'T RATE THIS TIP FOR LAS CUEVAS

- I'M LEAVING IT ON VT FOR THE PHOTOS FROM OUR VT MEET

This restaurant had only opened less than a week ago, and I nearly missed it!

Sunday night, a few VTers had stopped on from the 'Fish Chips and Mushy Peas' Weekend. I was starting to lag, and was still full from our excellent Traditional Sunday Lunch, and was torn between another night out (at the planned Chinese Buffet, where I would probably eat far too much) with my new VT friends, or getting an early night ready for our long day ahead on Monday. After walking round the streets of Halifax , looking at the buildings etc with Angiebabe, I'd decided to have a night in, with the option of joining the crowd for drinks later.

Ricky52 and Sheila arrived at the hotel and announced they'd found this place with Tapas!!!!

Plan B came into operation- After waving Ricky, Sheila, Hansi, Lori Pori, Stephanie, Gerry, Poons, Suet, Royslaven off, it was a quick shower and change, then a quick drink at the bar, while I waited for Angiebabe and a taxi.

The owner of the Hotel shook her head and said that it was 'in a rough area'

The taxi driver arrived promptly, but seemed surprised that we were heading to this area!

As we pulled onto the street he indicated 2 buildings that looked closed, I was wondering if we were in the right place, but I had their flyer in my hand.

Luckily, we soon spotted the restaurant, and its bright lights shining through the plate glass windows.

This was quite impressive - A wide staircase leads up to the dining area, subtle lighting illuminated the room and cave like ceiling. At one side was a huge bar, also comfy seating areas and a mezzanine. The food smelt wonderful!

It wasn't difficult to find 'our lot' The waitress quickly arranged a table at the end of their row.

Everyone was enjoying the food- Sheila was raving about the sardines, and sent some down for me to try- They were delicious-as fresh as if they'd just been landed! Some patatas bravas appeared too, which were tasty.

There were some language difficulties with ordering, but the staff were friendly, polite and helpful. I asked one of the waiters where he was from and was surprised when he said Istanbul, another claimed to be from China, but I wasn't sure if he was having a joke- it was quite dark.

While dining, a Screen showed Julio Iglasias in concert -(personally I prefer his son!!, but it was pleasant background music) Earlier there had been live music from a keyboard player.

Apparently the restaurant is the brainchild of its owner Farid Eatessami, who brought this former factory, that produced equipment for fish shops, with the intention of creating a restaurant, and hotel (not started yet), with emphasis on Spanish food and culture. As well as authentic food and entertainment, Salsa dances and Salsa/ Argentinian Tango classes are held here-check web site for details.

Prices are very reasonable-please check the website for menus and wine list.
    Take Away service available

Open Tuesday - Sunday from 1700 hours (Doesn't state closing time)

Live Relaxing Music on Weds. Friday, Saturday & Sunday with international Compare KAMY

Large screen showing the Flamingo dancers & musical magic of Latin & Spanish entertainers
    Disco every Friday & Saturday.

Facebook page

Favorite Dish: As I was still full from lunch, I decided to restrain myself and have a bowl of mixed olives, bread and Aioli and oil 'dips'

Angiebabe and I ordered a Tempranillo wine, and were surprised when 2 glasses of white wine appeared, even though we'd pointed to this red wine on the menu - This was changed easily, with no problem.

The olives were delicious, and came with small slivers of garlic (and 1 large piece, that I'd mistaken for lemon peel) The bread was fresh and had a nice flavour- I think I detected a hint of aniseed/caraway? The aioli was fresh and had pieces of raw finely chopped garlic.

One place to definitely return to!!!

• Business Travel

PLAZA CAFE' & RESTAURANT: FISH 'N CHIPS

Plaza Cafe

When we were checking out the location of the Bus Station, we noticed a cute little restaurant right next to the Station. It was called PLAZA CAFE' & RESTAURANT. It advertised a Senior Special which for £5.50 , you got fish n' chips, mushy peas or garden peas, bread & butter and a pot of tea. We made a note of it and went a few days later to try it out. It advertised that it was open until 7:00 p.m. and we came at 5:45, but alas, the fryers were turned off right at 5:30 p.m. Disappointed, we said we'd be back. OK, so we went back another day, this time at 4:45 and indeed ordered the Senior Special which was delicious and good value.

CAFE' PASSION MEDITERRANEAN STYLE BISTRO: FRIDAY NIGHT DINNER

Cafe' Passion

If you are in the mood for Turkish delight, you have to try the family run CAFE' PASSION the restaurant choice for our Friday night VT dinner.
    We were given the upstairs room, which was cozy and intimate. The room sat about 20 people. It was bright, cheery and decorated in reds and blacks.
    This Gourmet Turkish Restaurant offers mixed grill kebabs, stuffed olive leaves, feta & Haloumi Cheese, lamb dishes and also pasta, steak and chicken dishes.
    Hans and I had for our Sicak Mezeler - hot starter - Hellim or Haloumi cheese, which is fresh Cyprus cheese grilled (£4.50 ). I found it quite dry and tasteless.
    For our main course, we both had Meatballs in a tomato sauce (£9.50 ) which was very good. It came in a large bowl, with about six large meatballs in a tasty tomato sauce.

Visit their website for more information about their extensive menu.

• DAO's Profile Photo

CAFE PASSION: A PASSION FOR PRAWNS

by DAO Updated Sep 11, 2008

Say Turkish and you think cheap kebab place with chips. Be prepared to be astounded. This is a gourmet Turkish restaurant with healthy portions, low prices and food to simply die for. Recommended by Ricky52, VT Meeting tested and approved and reviewed by me – this is a restaurant not to miss! Have the prawn (shrimp) hot starter. First – they are big fat prawns, they come in a delicious sauce and there’s a lot of them! The food is made with only the best ingredients available and prepared to absolutely mouth-watering perfection. It’s family run, but by a family who know how to cook and offer excellent service. This place is what so many UK restaurants are not. A complete dining pleasure without the need to declare bankruptcy or go to MacDonald’s on the way home because you are still hungry. Top marks from me! I would rate is as one of Britain’s restaurants for food and value.

OPENING HOURS Mon-Wed 10am to 9pm, Thu-Sat 10am to 11pm, Sunday-functions only

Favorite Dish: The following descriptions are lifted off their menu. I enjoyed every bite of this starter and main course washed down with cold diet coke (I had to drive).

IKarides Tava - Sautéed Tiger Prawns
    Tiger prawns sautéed in butter, garlic, mixed herbs combined in a special tomato sauce

Karisik kebap - Mixed kebab
    An assortment of kebabs including cop shish, adana kebab, chicken shish & doner, served with salad

• Wine Tasting

• DAO's Profile Photo

AJ's FISH & CHIP RESTAURANT: WHOPPING BIG FISH

by DAO Updated Sep 2, 2012

FISH AND CHIPS !

Fancy some good fish and chips with mushy peas and a good bottle of wine? AJ's is a family run restaurant and can offer up to 60 hungry people a nice setting to have a good fried fish supper and a few adult beverages as well. In addition to plaice and haddock, they also offer fish stews, sometimes moules mariniere and a few burger and vegetarian options. Its interior is bright, modern and welcoming. The staff are super nice and very helpful. They also offer a takeaway service as well as restaurant dinning. They have special offers, including 2 for 1 offers on Wednesday evenings and discounts for OAPs'.

Opening hours: Restaurant 11.30am - 8.30pm 7 days a week. Take-away 11:30am - 9:00pm 7 days a week.

Favorite Dish:
    Large Haddock and chips. Then a sprinkle of salt and drown the chips in vinegar. Wash it down with a cold beer.

• Singles

LAS CUEVAS: SUNDAY NIGHT DINNER

Mural at Las Cuevas

Sunday night dinner was at a brand new restaurant called LAS CUEVAS which means The Caves. The restaurant was decorated to resemble being in a Cave (like the Nerja Caves in southern Spain). There were colourful murals on the wall, depicting Spanish themes. They wanted to make customers feel like they are on holiday with special touches like Patio Umbrellas. Live entertainment was provided by a keyboard player and when he took a break, a big screen TV showed videos from Julio Iglesias crooning away. They also had a large, impressive bar.
    The restaurant offers Tapas, paella, salsa, sangria and wine.
    Hans and I each had Tapas (£4.95) and a side order of patates Bravas (potatoes £2.95) and also ordered a litre bottle of Sangria (£11.50) which was smashin'. It was so fruity tasting that you didn't even notice you were drinking alcohol (until I found myself talking funny).
    Opening hours: Tuesday - Sunday from 5:00 p.m.

• Balam's Profile Photo

Shears Inn: Great Old Pub

by Balam Updated Apr 28, 2009

Shears Inn

This great little Pub is tucked away behind a Large old mill complex
    Dates from 1664 and is on what was once the main road between Halifax and Huddersfield

Good food great beer and friendly people make this a pub well worth visiting.

Branch Road Inn: Traditional Sunday Lunch

by suvanki Updated Aug 23, 2010

My Sunday Lunch - Mmmmmmmm!

UPDATE -This Restaurant has changed management since our visit, so things might have changed.

Ricky 52 once again had organised a great venue for VTers attending the Fish Chips and Mushy Peas Weekend in Halifax.
    After a morning of clay pigeon shooting in the fresh West Yorkshire air, I'd built up quite an appetite.

The Branch Road Inn , otherwise known as 'The Branch' has quite a reputation for the high quality of their home made meals, and hand - pulled cask ales. (Cask Marque accredited)
    Black Sheep Bitter (From Masham in North Yorks) and Abbot Ale are the regulars, plus one guest ale.

There is also a good selection of wines, lager and bottled drinks.

Open for food

Tuesday-Friday 12 noon - 1400, and 1700 - 1900
    Saturday 12 noon - 2100hrs
    Sunday 12 noon - 2000 hrs. (Carvery 1200 - 1900 hrs)

Monday - open for drinks only.

Outside, there is a pleasant beer garden, with views over the sweeping countryside.

Favorite Dish: It was quite difficult deciding what to choose - everything looked so tempting, but that's the beauty of the Carvery, you can have a bit of whatever you like. As I waited in line, I must have changed my mind a dozen times. Roast Beef? Liver and bacon? Sausage casserole?, the vegetarian option?
    Luckily, the chef was friendly and patient as we all decided on our choices

Some chose a piece of pie and slices of roast meat - (Pork, Beef or Gammon).

I finally settled for the Meat pie, which came with large fluffy Yorkshire puds, chipolato sausages, roasted and mashed (creamed) potatoes, french beans, broccolli and cauliflower cheese.

(My only niggle was that I was a bit disappointed with the cauliflower cheese (which is one of my favourite vegetable dishes) - the cauliflower was just a little undercooked for me, and I prefer a thicker sauce, but this is just my personal taste.

Otherwise, I thought my food was excellent - hot, full of flavour, and well cooked - would certainly come here again, or recommend it to others.

To drink, one of my favourite beers- Black Sheep Bitter - (only a 3.8%) so ideal for a lunchtime drink. (Thanks Sheila!!)

No room for desert, and no time, as we had to rush over to Triangle for the Rushbearing festivities.

CARVERY PRICES

1 course £7.95 (£5.45- childrens) Children also have a choice of free 1/2 pint of Pepsi cola, Diet Cola or lemonade.
    2 courses £10.95 (£7.45)
    3 courses £12.95 (£8.95)

There is also a 'Specials Board' and Bar snack menu.

Plase check out their informative website for more menus etc.

The Moorlands Inn: Good Food- Reasonably Priced

by suvanki Updated Jul 12, 2011

The Moorlands Inn - VTers are fed and watered!

This was the location, chosen by Valentina (MacedonianUK) for our Sunday Lunch VT meet. It was a great venue, especially as the weather was so good, that we could eat outside. (West Yorkshire in June, this can't be guaranteed!)

The Moorlands Inn prides itself on Traditional Home Cooking, with local produce where possible. Judging by the number of diners that were there at our visit, it is a popular place. I'm glad that Valentina had reserved a table for us.
    The decor is quite traditional -'Olde Worlde' pub style, with dark wood furnishings, exposed beams and open fires. Different dining areas around the pub, including a raised area, where we sat to begin with.
    If you're eating outside, you're expected to pay when ordering from the bar.

Selection of draught (including Black Sheep )and bottled ales and lagers. Wines, spirits and soft drinks. I'm afraid that I didn't notice which other beers were stocked -I was driving, so stuck to a couple of J2O's -which came to about £1.85 each.

The menu is quite extensive - (see the website below, for up to date choices and prices).

The Sunday Menu offered 9 starters(£3.50-£5.50) ,
    8 Sharing starters (£4.50-£6.95),
    10 Traditional Pub Food Main courses (£7.95-£9.50)
    6 Gourmet Burgers (£8.25-£8.95)
    Hot/Cold Sandwiches/baguettes, Panninis and wraps- a variety of fillings- all £5.50
    5 Salad Bowl - (£8.50-£9.50)
    8 Jackets -(£3.50- £5.95)
    15 Side dishes (£1 -£4.95)
    Childrens Menu - 7 choices ranging from £4.95 -£6.50 - selected dishes can be ordered as a toddler portion for £3.50

There was also a selection of 10 hot and cold desserts and Ice Cream from £2.95-£4.95

Early Bird Menu -1500-1900 Monday to Friday - selected main meals £5
    SUNDAY MENU served12 NOON-21.00hrs
    Mon - Sat Menu served 12.00 -21.00hrs.

Free Car Parking
    Childrens Playground
    Quiz nights - 2100hrs Monday, Wednesday and Thursdays
    Live Music on Fridays - see website for listings

Bed and Breakfast from £35

Favorite Dish: I thoroughly enjoyed my meal, and thought that it was good value for money. I don't usually eat 3 courses, especially at lunch time, but I wolfed it all down. The portions are quite generous too!

For starters, Valentina and I had a sharing starter of a Bread Board of Herb Focaccia, Balsamic Vinegar and Olive Oil with Fresh Marinated Olives - £4.95 The Focaccia was oven warmed, with a lovely fragrance. (pic 2)
    My main course I decided to be traditional, and have Home-roasted Topside of Beef with Yorkshire Pudding, roast potatoes and fresh vegetables - £8.50 The meat was delicious, and very tender (Pic 3)
    I nearly passed by on a dessert, but once I saw that there was locally produced Ice Cream, I decided to go for the large mixed Ice cream - £4.95.
    'Just Jenny's Farmhouse Ice Cream is made in nearby Barkisland.
    Apparently, if you are too full for dessert, Take Away puddings are available.

UPDATE - July 2011
    Re-visited here for late Sunday Lunch with Gillybob and alyf1961, not intentionally, it was the first place that we spotted between Harworth and Halifax.
    It was still very busy, and still offers an extensive menu at a reasonable price.
    This time I opted for The Chefs salad (pic 5)- which included home roasted ham, beef and chicken with prawn and tuna mayonaise and grated cheddar cheese for £9.95 - This was very filling!

La Taverna: Mediterranean cuisine

by suvanki Updated Sep 14, 2012

Carlos/ La Taverna Entrance

This restaurant is located in the Wool Merchants Hotel, where we first stayed for Ricky52's Fish Chips and Mushy Peas VT weekend meet in September 2008.

La Taverna has been open for over 20 years, serving authentic Italian food to guests and non-residents, it is known locally as Halifax's best kept secret.

We enjoyed breakfast here each morning, and on the Saturday night, we had our meal in the restaurant, which had been arranged between Ricky and the restaurant.

An extensive menu of Italian specialities (I've just removed the menu from 2008)

Daily Specials from the blackboard

Selection of Italian and Australian wines ( plus from Chile, France and Argentina), champagne, Draught Beers and lagers-Nastro Azzuro, John Smiths, Kronenbourg, Fosters, Guinness
    Spirits and liquors

Coffees and hot chocolate

Bottled beers and soft drinks available from the bar

Service Charge not included
    All major credit/debit cards accepted

Available for weddings/ conferences/office parties etc

Free Car Parking opposite the Restaurant

UPDATE Sept 2012

Having enjoyed a meal here during our 2010 VT meet, and again at Easter 2012 with Phil, Ricky and Sheila, I was looking forward to our evening meal here on the Saturday night.

The Wool Merchants has recently changed hands, and there are plans for an Indian restaurant here in the near future. I'm not sure if this will be an addition to the Italian or a replacement.

We were given our own room - the breakfast room, which suited us. A place that we could relax and chatter/take photos of food etc :-)

Well, the extensive menu had me 'chopping and changing my mind' I eventually chose a starter and main, which were both off the menu that night, so a quick change of mind again!

I really enjoyed my starter of bruschetta with goats cheese, however I didn't enjoy my (huge) bowl of pasta so much - it was quite bland.

We moved into the bar afterwards for a few drinks and a chat, there was a wedding party there too, so we were surprised that the bar closed at 23.00 - 1, because it would have made financial sense for the hotel to serve us and 2, we were all guests/residents in a hotel!

Will be interesting to see how these changes affect our planned stay for other meets.

• Wine Tasting

• suvanki's Profile Photo

The Shears Inn: Halifax's Hidden Secret!

by suvanki Updated Oct 26, 2010

The Shears Inn

The Shears Inn was the venue for a mini VT meet 'MacedonianUK is in Town' on Sunday October 24th 2010. Ricky52 found this 'hidden gem' and booked a table for him and Sheila (Mrs Ricky), Margaret (Mustertal), Rob (Gwynfiguy), Valentina (MacedonianUk) and her daughter Frosina. BarneyUK, the UK VT mascot attended as Suvankis VA.
    It was a great choice!

The Shears Inn, at Paris Gates, is one of the most famous and oldest inns in Halifax-a sign outside dates it at 1664! It featured in the film 'The Dresser'(1983) starring Albert Finney, Tom Courtenay and Edward Fox.

Shears is located next to an ancient pack-horse bridge, known as “Boy’s Bridge” which crosses the former canal and the Hebble Brook.
    It is reached "along the cobbled streets in the shadow of Holdsworth’s Shaw Lodge Mills complex".

As it is a bit difficult to find, we all met up at the train station, then followed Rickys car.

In the nineteenth century the Shears was the social spot for workers from the nearby mills. One of the nearby Mills, has recently been converted into apartments, which will no doubt bring more trade to this traditional pub.

Access to the pub is by descending a few wooden steps -I'm not sure if there is an alternative for anyone with mobility problems.

Entering the lounge, you are met by a welcoming fire in the centre of the room. In the summer there is seating outside. There is a covered smoking shelter, with seating, outside too

It is a Free House, and the well stocked bar serves draught Ales-
    Timothy Taylor’s Landlord Bitter (and Golden Best)-usually stocking Moorhouses, Copper Dragon and White Horse Beers. Five classic lagers. Strongbow Cider. John Smith’s Smooth, as well as a selection of wines, spirits and soft drinks.

Open daily: 11.30 am – 12.00pm
    Food is served Friday-Saturday 11.30 -14.00 and 17.30 -20.00. Sunday: 12.00 – 16.00

The Sunday Lunch menu is good value- 1 course- £6.99, 2 Courses - £8.99 and 3 courses- £9.99
    The menu has a variety of dishes including some unusual ones!

A choice of 6 starters - Melissas Homemade Stilton, Celery and apple soup, Prawn Cocktail,BBQ Chicken Satay, Creamy Garlic Mushrooms, Yorkshire Puddings with onion gravy, and the black pudding salad, which I chose.

5 main roasts -including Home Roast Beef, Home Roasted Ham, Braised Steak, Lamb Henry, Sausages and Mash. These are served with new potatoes, roast potatoes and seasonal vegetables. Also a choice of 4 Homemade pies-Steak and Mushroom,Steak and Stilton,Steak and potato and Corned Beef - served as above, or with chips and mushy peas.

10 choices of dessert- Ice cream Sundae, Sticky Toffee Pudding, Cinnamon Peach and Pear Crumble with custard, Apple Pie and custard, Hot Chocolate Fudge Cake, Chocolate Pudding with Chocolate Sauce, Treacle Sponge and Custard, Rhubarb Crumble and Custard, Movenpick Luxury Ice Cream and Meringue Nests with fruit and Ice Cream.

(Smaller portions/lower prices (minus £2) available for children)

There is also a Tea time Tapas Menu, with offers including- buy 4 dishes, get 1 free, or Buy 5 tapas and a bottle of wine for £20. I think individual dishes were an average price of £3.50

There are other pubs in and around Halifax known as The Shears, so remember this is Shear Inn, Paris Gates!
    Apparently Paris Gates, is thought to be a corruption of Parish Gates, which was an entrance into Halifax.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed a starter of warm salad of black pudding and crispy bacon, which was served with lettuce, tomato and cucumber, with a light drizzle of English mustard. (pic3)

For my main course I had Home made Steak and Mushroom pie, which was a shortcrust pastry, packed with plenty of meat and mushrooms in a rich gravy. This was served with chips and Mushy peas. (pic4)This was very filling, but I managed a dessert- Rhubarb crumble and custard, (pic5) which was a nice ending to my meal.

This was washed down with a 1/2 pint of Timothy Taylors Landlord.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

La Tavas: Great company, great food

by toonsarah Written Sep 19, 2012

On our first evening in Halifax Ricky52 had booked a table for us in the upstairs room of this Greek / Mediterranean restaurant in the King Cross area of the city. We took taxis from our hotel (not expensive) and arrived earlier than the staff had been expecting, but the welcome was very friendly and it was no problem to be shown to our table straight away. So we settled in (it was just a little cosy with slightly too many of us than the table could comfortably hold – a good job we were all friends!) and ordered drinks, then started to peruse the extensive menu in between catching up on all the news and VT gossip!

Favorite Dish: There is a really good selection here, with all the usual Greek favourites (kebabs, moussaka etc) but far more besides. It was really hard to choose – although maybe that had something to do with the above-mentioned news and gossip! In the end I opted to share some starters with others – dips and pitta bread with Valentina, and dolmades with Lesley. The latter were rather unusual as they had butternut squash in the filling – rather good! And the dips include a well-flavoured black olive tapenade in addition to the usual Greek hummus, tzatziki and taramasalata.

For my main course I chose sea bass fillets, which were excellent – “served on baked new potatoes, olives & dill, topped with a tomato, red pepper & caper salsa”. One of the best fish dishes I have had for a long time! It was also reasonably light, so I was able to manage a dessert. Our waitress read out a list, rather than bring a menu, so it was hard to take in the options (especially as several were in limited supply) But I decided on something I had never heard of and now can’t quite remember the name of – a sort of lemon semifreddo served in a slice, lightly grilled and laid on a plate of fresh fruit salad. It was refreshing and rich at the same time – unusual!

All in all I was very impressed with this restaurant. Service was not fast but they coped well with the size of our group and were patient when we dithered over what to eat. And the food, especially my sea bass, was first rate. I can’t remember exactly what I paid but I know it was good value. I would certainly come here again.

If you’re following the weekend in chronological order, click here for my next tip, our first activity of Saturday morning.

Instant Answers: Halifax

Comments

Halifax Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Halifax restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Halifax sightseeing.