Halifax Sports & Outdoors

Best Rated Sports & Outdoors in Halifax

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Clay Pigeon Shooting- Crow Nest Park Gun Club

by suvanki Updated Feb 18, 2009

Angiebabe prepares to add to her winning total

Sunday mornings, Ricky 52 can be found, blasting innocent pieces of orange plastic from the skies (unless he's shooting with his right hand, then they're quite safe!!) at the Crow Nest Park Gun Club.

As an extra part of the 'Fish, Chips and Mushy Peas weekend' he'd arranged for us to join him and his club members.

So Sunday morning, after a hearty breakfast, 12 Vters and 1 honorary Vter (Chris) left our hotel and headed out of town in a convoy of 3 cars.

As we pulled up in the lay by, I was beginning to question my sanity, Ricky had been slipping 'helpful' tips into the conversation - No toilet facillities - places for the men to go, but difficult for women (we held on ok!!), We'd be trampling over muddy cow pat covered fields (we survived!), Club members that would take the p**s out of us (They were all gentlemen!!)

Then there was the briefing - Hold the gun TIGHT into your shoulder - or it will HURT!!!, lean forwards, not back like a banana, stand feet apart, with opposite leg to the side that you're shooting slightly forward.

This was followed by a safety talk. Then instructions on how to aim and hit the clay.

I nearly whimped out, but luckily Ricky cajoled Angiebabe and I into taking part - (me-thinks Angie was bluffing, to make me feel better- as she proved to be a bit of a crackshot, being the winning shot for the females! - Dao being the outright Champ)

£7.50 bought a box of 25 cartridges "Real shooters don't settle for less than 50"!

The order in which we went to the hut to purchase our ammo determined the order in which we shot - So Dao, Aaaargh, Hansi, Gerry, Ricky 52, Poons, Suet, Doodiebee, Myself and Angiebabe took it in turns to step to the cage, don our ear defenders, load our gun and do our best/worst.

Stephanie and Gillybob sat holding bags, coats etc and shouting encouragement. Gillybob later took over pressing the switch to release the clays.

Ricky had bet Suet that he could beat her if he shot right handed (he normally is a southpaw) against her - it looked like the drinks were on Suet, but Ricky rallied round.

Well, we all managed to hit at least 1 clay !! I was starting to enjoy it, when it was all over!!

Hansi as usual took 1 or 2!!! video shots, which will no doubt be available for public viewing soon.
    I took a few as well- check them out on this page

Maybe there will be pics of bruises too!

Yes, some of us obviously weren't holding the gun tight to our shoulders ;-) Not sure if Poons or myself had the most impressive marking, but I enjoyed telling people how I'd got my war wound!

A great Sunday morning out- and the rain held off!!!! - Only one thing can follow a morning in the fresh air - Traditional Sunday Lunch!

Equipment: Guns, ear defenders etc. provided by the club.

Wellingtons, Sturdy boots etc for trampling through the muddy fields.

Waterproof jacket, fleece, hat, thick socks (you can be standing around in cold mud)etc (even in summer)

Sunglasses, hat, sun protection - in case the sun does come out. - You're standing in an open field with little shade.

Portable stool or chair - there are few available.

• Adventure Travel

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Traditional English Cricket Club

by suvanki Written Apr 25, 2012

Triangle CC Pavillion

I've visited Triangle Cricket Club a couple of times, but not seen a Cricket Match! It's one of the venues for The Rushbearing cart to arrive, on the Sunday afternoon, which is when I first visited. Recently, I visited to join in the Duck Race - a FUNd raiser for the Cricket Club

While I can't vouch for the standard of the cricket played here - my knowledge of cricket is fairly minimal. But, It is a very friendly club, and in one of the most typical of English settings. Tall Trees, A River (-the Ryburn, which joins the River Calder at Sowerby Bridge) and woodland, line the small ground.

2012 is the 150th Anniversary of Triangle CC. When it was founded 1n 1862, it was known as Triangle Reading Room and Cricket Club.
    In 1927, the ground was given to the club by a local Mill Owner - Col.Tom H Morris.
    In the snooker room of the clubhouse, are plenty of photos of teams through the years - interesting to see the earlier photos, with officials in suits and ties, wearing bowler hats and watch chains, then, suits and ties, to sports jacket and tie, upto the 21st century, with much more casual wear. Interesting hair styles too! There are also a couple of well worn cricket bats - that served their owners well!

The bar is open to non-members, and when Triangle are at home, the cricket teas are very reasonably priced. I had one of the cheapest mugs of tea here, when watching the Rushbearing.

Small Car Park at entrance to Ground, or parking on the ground
    The lane is narrow, and not suitable for Caravans/Camper Vans.
    Bus 528/561/567 from Halifax

• Camping

• BlueBeth's Profile Photo

Under construction

by BlueBeth Written Dec 7, 2006

No really... The Shay has been under construction for as long as I can remember!

As you all know, I'm actually a Manchester City fan, but Halifax is my hometown and I go along an watch when I can. Halifax Town are a Conference side who currently languish the wrong half of the division, after a good season last year they're not having much luck in this one. The more astute of you could point out that Halifax Town tend to beat City when they play them... I know this and so do the rest of the Shaymen who know I'm a City fan... Comes in handy when they can't think of anything else to tease me about!

Instant Answers: Halifax

Comments

Halifax Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Halifax sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Halifax sightseeing.