Halifax Transportation

Best Rated Transportation in Halifax

THOMAS COOK AIRLINES

by LoriPori Written Sep 14, 2008

Our Thomas Cook plane

When looking for a flight to get to the Halifax VT Meet, Hans found a decent price flying with THOMAS COOK AIRLINES.
    We got a direct flight from Toronto to Manchester UK
    Baggage allowance was 20kg per person and carryon was limited to 5kg. They were quite strict about the weight and charged 8 pounds or $16.00 per kilo in excess of the allowance. The Cashier was a short distance away and they did send people there who were over the allowance. Thank goodness we took out a few sweaters at home as we just made the weight allowance.
    The plane itself was a Boeing B757 with a capacity of 230 people. The seats were comfortable and there was plenty of leg room.
    Meals (2 per flight) were good coming and going. Meals came with coffee or tea. Anything else to drink like wine, beer or pop cost extra.

NORTHERN RAIL

by LoriPori Written Sep 15, 2008

Train Station

Northern Rail operates a frequent and regular service along the Calder Valley. Running from Manchester Victoria to Leeds via Bradford York to Blackpool North via Hebden Bridge and Halifax and also from Halifax to Huddersfield and Wakefield via Brighouse.
    Hans and I used NORTHERN RAIL twice while staying in Halifax. We visited York for the day paying 11.50 pounds each return fare (Off-Peak rate - travelling after 9:30 a.m. ). The trip to York took app. one hour and twenty minutes from Halifax.
    We also visited Hebden Bridge again on our own and paid 2 pounds each return - again off-peak rate). The trip took app. fifteen minutes.
    The train Station was convenient and within walking distance to our Wool Merchant Hotel. The Station is located just off Church Street and Horton Street, right next to Eureka with Square Church nearby.

HALIFAX BUS STATION

by LoriPori Written Sep 17, 2008

Halifax Bus Station

Halifax is a relatively easy city to get around. If you need to take the bus, the HALIFAX BUS STATION is conveniently located between Northgate and Winding Road and very near the Town Hall. It was just a five minute walk from our Wool Merchant Hotel. Halifax's Bus Station is relatively new and very modern. An excellent network of bus services operate in the area, with a range of tickets and passes available for travel throughout West Yorkshire.
    Visit the website posted below for timetables and pricing.

• Many roads lead to Halifax

by fax Written Feb 20, 2003

Getting here couldn't be easier. Most visitors from abroad will fly to the region. Yorkshire has its own international airport - Leeds/Bradford. It has links to Amsterdam, Brussels, Dublin and Paris together with many domestic services. Many foreign visitors can utilise the many charter flights also. In addition if a suitable flight is not available (non European) Manchester International is only an hour away by car or train.

Train services are frequent and link all regional centres. Road connections are excellent via the M1 and M62.

Link to Leeds Bradford International Airport http://www.lbia.co.uk/ Mancheter international Airport http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/
    Bus, train or by foot within the centre and district- even canal!

• BlueBeth's Profile Photo

Central

by BlueBeth Written Oct 20, 2006

Transport to Halifax is dead easy! It's slap bang halfway between Leeds and Manchester, taking just over 35 minutes to get to either on the train. Which is great for nights out!! Leeds and Manchester are brilliant for shopping and the nightlife's great too...
    The Trans Pennine express service goes to Manchester Victoria and Leeds Stations.

• Trains

• BlueBeth's Profile Photo

Buses

by BlueBeth Written Oct 20, 2006

There are good bus services into and around the Halifax area but to see Halifax itself you can walk. We're a very small town but quite pretty :o) The Firstbus group run the majroity of buses but we have two local companies as well. The Joint Halifax Committee runs buses in the old Halifax colours of orange and green (anyone else in England remember when buses were different colours from each town?) and TJ Walsh runs little minibuses into smaller villages around the suburbs.

• Scarecrow_Festival's Profile Photo

Cheaper than local services

by Scarecrow_Festival Updated May 24, 2009

Getting everyone round via local transport is a bit of a logistical nightmare and not very cheap at that.
    I have hired a coach that will pick you up at the hotel and return you there at the end of the day.
    It will cost £425 for the day and will be divided by the number of people going.
    So the more that come, the cheaper it will be.
    If 20 people come ( I am expecting more than this ) it will cost you £21.25 each. I must post this price so that you are aware of the cost for your budget. If more people turn up, this price will drop. However I am limited to a maximum of 55 people ( I wish )
    I may need a deposit from you and VT member Gillybob has kindly offered to collect the money for me. I will let you know in due course on how to make this deposit.

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

The bus journey home:-(

by spidermiss Updated Sep 9, 2012

Halifax Bus Station

I got the bus back home after a wonderful VT meet in Halifax on the Sunday. Valentina dropped Dila, Richard and I off in the town centre and it was a short ride to the bus station from where we were dropped.

I caught the 508 bus to Leeds City Bus Station and took approximately an hour. From the City Bus Station I caught another bus for home.

Please check out the Metro website for further information including bus schedules and fares to and from Halifax.

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

From a missed bus conneciton to a train journey!

by spidermiss Updated Sep 8, 2012

On my way to Halifax (Northern Rail Train)

I planned to travel to Halifax by bus because my travel card covers all the bus services in West Yorkshire and wouldn't have cost me any extra. The scheduled bus from home to Leeds City bus station never turned up and I missed my connection! The next bus would have been too late as I had to get to the hotel at 8.30 am and the service, 508, from Leeds to Halifax is hourly.

I had no choice but to travel by train in order to get there on time. The train takes just over half an hour and the Leeds to Halifax services are operated by Northern Rail and a cost of a single was 4 gbp (September 2012). I could have paid slightly more for a return but I was planning to travel by bus on my return journey.

• Trains

Instant Answers: Halifax

Comments

Halifax Transportation

Reviews and photos of Halifax transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Halifax sightseeing.