HAWORTH PARISH CHURCH & CEMETERY
Favorite thing: The Bronte Family vault is inside the HAWORTH PARISH CHURCH and there, beneath an inscribed stone and commemorative plaque, the whole family apart from Anne(who lies at Scarborough) is buried. See also the Bronte' Memorial Chapel and the collection of documents concerning notable events in the family's life. The Bronte' sisters' father was the curate at one time at the Parish Church also known as St. Michael and All Angels.
Favorite thing: The steep village street is paved with stone setts and lined with shops, galleries, inns and cafe's - many converted from cottages originally used by hand-loom weavers which was once the staple industry of Haworth. At the top of MAIN STREET are the old village stocks where local offenders were once punished.
Haworth Church and the Brontes
Favorite thing: Five years after the death of Ann, Charlotte married Arthur Bell Nichols, who was her fathers curate, but she died less than a year later aged only 38. All the family with the exception of Ann are buried in the Church at Haworth.
Favorite thing: Two years after their first books were published the family suffered 3 deaths within 8 months. Branwell died in September 1848 at the age of 31, Emily died in December 1848 at the age of 30 and Ann the following May age 29.
Branwell allegedly died through alcoholism and opium addiction.
This photograph of the apothecarys (chemists) has plaques at the side of the doors stating that it was probably here that Branwell got his opium.
Favorite thing: Charlotte, Branwell, Emily and Anne survived into adulthood. The sisters became writers of some great classics, of which the Yorkshire moorland was very inspirational to them and feature in their writings.
Charlotte wrote Jane Eyre in 1847
Emily wrote Wuthering Heights in 1847
Anne wrote The Tenant of Wildfell Hall in 1848
These are just some of their books, between them they wrote many more.
Favorite thing: This is a photograph of the Parsonage at Haworth.
It was built in 1778 and is now The Bronte Parsonage Museum. It is owned by the Bronte Society.
It opened as a museum in 1928, and visitors can wander through the rooms which are still furnished as it was when the Brontes lived there.
Open most days of the year
Except during Christmas periods
Also Closed Most of January
Summer Opening Times: 10.00am to 5.30pm
Times: 11.00am to 5.00pm
Senior Citizens and Students £3.50
Children 5-16 years £1.50
Under 5 years - free
Adjacent to the musum is a shop which sells, gifts, stationery, ceramics, needlework kits and of course the books written by the Bronte sisters.
Favorite thing: Their Aunt Elizabeth Branwell (Maria's sister) then came to live at the Parsonage to take care of them. Inscribed on the stone here, it says that this was once a gateway leading to the church where the Brontes were carried after their deaths!
Favorite thing: The Reverand Patrick Bronte, his wife Maria, and their six children came to live at the Parsonage in 1820.
The mother Maria died in 1821, and then the two eldest girls Maria and Elizabeth died here both in 1825 still in their childhood.