Avebury Restaurants

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

The Red Lion: A Thatched Roof Beauty

by Bwana_Brown Updated Jan 29, 2006

Our Entrance to The Red Lion

After our late start from Farnham, Surrey, it was about 1:30 PM on a Sunday afternoon by the time we had reached Avebury and walked to the local pub (parking spaces were at a premium in this popular UNESCO World Heritage Site village). With its thatched roof, the Red Lion certainly looked the part of a traditional English pub but, it is actually following the trend of many British pubs these days in swinging over to more of a 'restaurant'-type business. However, in our case we never made it past the 'smoking' portion of the pub, since it had a cosy atmosphere and we were surprised to find that it was not crowded at all. When we went out to order our lunch in the main no-smoking restaurant section, we could see the many tables serving families with children. Back in the smoking section, as I stood at the bar ordering our drinks, I asked the bartender for some hints on the viewing the standing stone circle around the village. A couple of the local lads at a nearby table overheard me and piped up with all sorts of useful suggestions - a friendly place!

Favorite Dish: I had not yet had my obligatory Ploughman's Lunch on this trip to England, so I took this opportunity to clear that up! It consisted of mature Cheddar cheese on fresh Tomato bread, an apple, celery, raw red onions, cherry tomatoes and chutney (5 pounds sterling or US$8). Sue decided to have a sandwich consisting of a thick slab of Wiltshire Ham with Sweet Cider Mustard on Rosemary Focaccia (4.45 sterling) and for drinks we had a pint of Abbot Ale (a strong, robust and full-flavoured Green King brew) and a glass of Pinot Grigio (5.20 sterling for both). I quite enjoyed my meal, despite the fact that my apple was unedible - it felt and tasted like it had been frozen and then thawed out. Sue's sandwich was OK but a bit dry, so we livened it up with some of my Indian chutney! Not the best feast in the world, but we were satisfied as we left to explore the standing stones!

• KennetRose's Profile Photo

The Red Lion: The Pub in the Circle!

by KennetRose Updated Dec 3, 2002

The Red Lion, Avebury

Large and rambling pub clearly geared to serving a large number of visitors. Lots of rooms including one with a real wood fire (needed in winter!), a larger one for the singalongs favoured by the New Age crowds that congregate here, and a barn-like family dining area.

Claims to be the most haunted pub in Britain, if that's your thing, and also to be the only pub within a stone circle

Favorite Dish: Traditional English fare. I had organic sausages with mash and gravy which tasted of Bovril, which was good. But the food is expensive for what it is. Nor does any magic there may be in the circle do anything for the keeping of the beer. But it slipped down nicely nonetheless on a hideously wet day!

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

Red Lion: Village pub

by Sjalen Written Apr 17, 2007

Yes, I know I said few people come here but that doesn't mean no one, and as this pub is next to the famous stones, this is where most visitors stop for a drink and/or meal so they must rake it in summertime. Considering this, it is a bit sad that they cannot spend a bit more on refurbishing the back of the pub where the family friendly area is quite worn and colours horribly outdated. Apparently they also have some rooms to rent if you want to stay the night but judging by the pub interior, they might not be that cosy even if the pub exterior could fool you into thinking it is gorgeous. Having said all this, the pub has perfectly OK food (although again, my portion seemed smaller than elsewhere considering the higher price) and staff are very friendly. There are also some outside seats in summer if you want to admire some stones whilst drinking. There is also a small cash machine in the pub since the village has no cash point.

Favorite Dish: Wild mushroom lasagne was the only thing I had and that was delicious.

• Architecture

• SallyM's Profile Photo

Red Lion: Good value specials

by SallyM Written Apr 6, 2012

Red Lion, Avebury

The Red Lion is the pub in Avebury village, and it does a roaring trade in food, including tea and cakes as well as more normal pub lunches.

Options at lunchtime range from lighter meals (jacket potatoes, sandwiches etc.) to heartier fare. There are daily specials, and also an offer of 2 main courses for £9.95.

Service can be a little slow when they are busy (we waited 45 minutes) but it was worth it.

Oh - and it's supposed to be haunted. But there wasn't much evidence of this on a lunchtime in April.

Favorite Dish: Home-made steak and ale pie is excellent - but comes in a very large helping, so it's not for dainty eaters!

I had smoked haddock florentine from the special offer menu, which was also very good (nice smoked haddock, not the dyed sort, and smothered in cheese).

Sadly we didn't have room for dessert, but they offer sticky toffee pudding cheesecake, chocolate and walnut brownie, Eton mess (fruit compote, crushed meringue and cream), among other delights.

• KennetRose's Profile Photo

The Waggon and Horses: Rambling old roadhouse

by KennetRose Updated Nov 20, 2002

Rather fallen from it's former glory, but the Waggon & Horses, about 2km south of Avebury at the junction of the A4 (London to Bath) and A361 (Devizes to Swindon) roads, is still going and serves decent Wadworths beer together with predictable pub fare.

It's a bit of a mausoleum these days but freer than the Red Lion of New Age types.

• lina112's Profile Photo

El único pub de Avebury

by lina112 Written Nov 22, 2004

Es el único pub que hay en Avebury, tiene varios platos a elegir y menú infantil. También tienen habitaciones disponibles por si quieres pasar la noche.

Instant Answers: Avebury

Comments

Avebury Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Avebury restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Avebury sightseeing.