Avebury Transportation

Sheep on walk from the parking lot
    by grandmaR
    From the parking lot - enhanced photo
  • From the parking lot - original film photo
    From the parking lot - original film...

Most Recent Transportation in Avebury

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

Bus trip

by Sjalen Written Apr 18, 2007

You can get to Avebury by bus from Salisbury and Swindon but also nearby Marlborough. They are not that frequent but you should have at least five or so a day to chose from even if the last one back to Salisbury (for trains back to London for instance) is just after 17.00. If you buy an Explorer ticket you can travel around the region as much as you like for a day so you can combine it with other sights.

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

Mad Max tours from Bath

by Airpunk Updated Sep 5, 2006

Stone Circle of Avebury

Avebury is in the middle of nowhere and hardly accesible by public transport. So the best way to save a lot of time is joining an organized tour. I took Mad Max tours from Bath which took me for 25.00 pounds to Stonehenge, Avebury and also to two nice old villages: Castle Combe and Lacock. The price seems to be high, but it is impossible to do these four destinations with public transports on a single day.

Our driver - who was our tourist guide at the same time - gave us a lot of information about the stones and providing us with background facts. It included a demonstration with a dowsing rod which could be tried out by yourself.

Unfortunately, the time was not enough to see visit the circles, listen to the stories and visit larger parts of the avenue. We stopped a few minutes at the sanctuary at the other end of the avenue, but without a chance to get out and walk around.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

A Rental is Essential for Exploration!

by Bwana_Brown Updated Jan 9, 2006

Our Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX

It worked quite well on my previous trips to England, so I arranged for my transportation needs by pre-booking with Hertz for a pickup at Heathrow Airport. I once again rented a standard transmission Ford Mondeo - a nice working vehicle, but maybe just a trifle too big for our needs on the many back roads we travelled. There is not much margin to play with on English roads, or in parking lots, so you are better off with a Focus or some other similarly sized car if you can get your luggage into it (cheaper too).

This time around, Hertz charged me 103 pounds/week and 14.71 pounds/day plus the usual smaller add-ons such as Location Service Charge (22 pounds), Vehicle Licence Fee (11.77 pounds) and Taxes (45 pounds). I did not take out any extra insurance and at the end of 13 days useage, the total bill came to 300 pounds or C$619 (US$540). Of course, don't forget that you will pay dearly for gas (petrol) as well. With the cheapest unleaded pump price of about 88 pence/litre it was approximately double the cost in Canada of 98 cents/litre (it also works out to US$5.80/US gallon). In other words, the recent world-wide increase in fuel costs did not change the relative country costs as compared to my 2004 trip. Altogether, I pumped about 90 pounds (US$160) into the car for the 810 miles we clocked during the trip.

I was happy with the car and the costs were what I had expected as the price of 'freedom'.

• leics's Profile Photo

Parking...............................

by leics Written Dec 16, 2005

................is a nightmare in the daytime, and not worth it. Use the National Trust car park just outside the village ditch. You'll have to pay, but it's worth it. The pub car park is another alternative, as long as you use the pub (but it's often full).

• lina112's Profile Photo

bus

by lina112 Written Nov 22, 2004

Desde Victoria Coach Station coge el autobús hasta Swindon y desde allí coge el autobús número 49 que va a Throwbrigde. Hay autobuses cada hora, pero los domingos hay menos servicios así que es mejor preguntar al conductor.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Free parking

by grandmaR Updated May 26, 2004

Sheep on walk from the parking lot

Parking in the tourist lot is free. My daughter was concerned that I would not be able to walk from the lot to Avebury, but actually it wasn't a bad walk. I did not go around the stone circle though because walking on uneven surfaces is hard for me. I just looked from afar. There was also an ice cream truck in the parking lot.

Actually I was much closer to the stones at Stonehenge than I was to the ones at Avebury.

Avebury is particularly busy at the summer solstice. If you go then, it might be a good idea to use the regular bus services that operate to Avebury from Swindon, Marlborough and Salisbury. Otherwise be careful to park only in legal places or the police will give you a ticket and maybe tow you away.

• KennetRose's Profile Photo

By car (NOT recommended)

by KennetRose Updated Nov 20, 2002

Avebury is on the main Devizes to Swindon road (A4361), just north of its junction with the A4..

There is a car park for visitors just south of the village. The car park in the village is for residents only and this should be respected.

In any case, I wouldn't want to encourage people to come by car. It spoils the scale, and the atmosphere (in every sense!)

• KennetRose's Profile Photo

By public transport (recommended)

by KennetRose Updated Nov 20, 2002

The 49 Swindon to Trowbridge bus passes through once an hour (every two hours on Sundays). There are railway stations at both ends of the route but Swindon is the most useful - fast and frequent trains from London (Paddington), Bristol, Cheltenham and South Wales.

The great thing about the bus is sharing it with the Wiltshire villagers off into town to do their shopping!

• Trains

• btex's Profile Photo

Bus from Salisbury to Avebury

by btex Written Sep 9, 2002

I took the Wilts & Dorset bus from Salisbury to Avebury...with a stop at Stonehenge. With the day pass, could jump on and off as I pleased. It was a few years ago, so I'm not sure if the route is still the same.

Instant Answers: Avebury

Comments

Avebury Transportation

Reviews and photos of Avebury transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Avebury sightseeing.