Bradford on Avon Restaurants

Just Over the Bridge & Up the Hill a Bit
    by Bwana_Brown

Most Recent Restaurants in Bradford on Avon

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Saadi Indian Take-Away & Thresher Wine Shop: The Best Indian Take-Away Ever!

by Bwana_Brown Updated May 10, 2006

Just Over the Bridge & Up the Hill a Bit

After going in circles to find a place to spend the night, once we had settled in at the Swan Hotel, we decided at about 7 PM that it was time to find ourselves a good pub! The back entrance of the hotel opens up onto the far end of the bridge in the photo and is smack in the centre of town, so we turned left and headed up the sloping street (almost everything slopes in Bradford-on-Avon). We had only walked for a couple of minutes on Silver Street before we passed both a wine shop and then an Indian take-away joint, surprising me that they were open on a Sunday night. After looking at the Indian restaurant menu, we decided to just order something to-go so we could enjoy the comforts of our big hotel room only a few steps away!

Favorite Dish: For the Indian food, we ordered a Balti Chicken Tikka Masala (5.60 GBP), a Chicken Dupiaza (a Bhuna dish with onions that we had never heard of before), Nan bread, Poppadums and rice. The owner said it would be ready in 15 minutes so we then popped into the wine store only a couple of establishments away. They had a good selection and also were offering a special deal where you buy any 3 bottles and get the cheapest one free. Sounded good to us (with more than a week to go in England, there was no danger that they would last that long), so we purchased an Italian Fiordaliso Pinot Grigio, an Australian Jacob's Creek Shiraz 2003 and an Argentinian Balbi Malbec 2004 for a total of 13 GBP (US$23). We carted this back to our room where Sue then waited while I went back to the take-away to pick up our food order.

We raved over how good the food was once we tucked into it, and the wine went down smoothly too! It was great fun just laying there in the room nibbling away as we watched some hilarious stuff on the BBC and talked about all sorts of things. It was a great way to end a fantastic start to our driving trip.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Swan Hotel: My First English Hotel Breakfast!

by Bwana_Brown Updated Jan 13, 2006

Our Waiter Takes on Extra Duties

Favorite Dish: I had my first English hotel breakfast while staying at the Swan Hotel. In all my previous trips (and I am talking about 1974, 1975, 1979, 1981, 1990, 1995, 2000 and 2004), I had always stayed either with relatives or in B&Bs or someone's flat, but never a hotel!

After our 8:30 AM wake-up call, we readied ourselves and were soon down in the hotel restaurant, which was completely empty except for us! Our waiter quickly appeared and took our order, namely two Full English breakfasts. This was my 3rd straight morning having one of these filling meals (and my last, as it turned out - just too much to sustain!!). It had the usual rashers of Bacon, sausage, fried potatoe, tomato and mushrooms, toast, tea and orange juice. Excellent as always but very filling!

After packing our luggage, checking out and loading the car in the rear parking lot, we set off on foot for a bit of exploring of Bradford on Avon to help work off a few of those calories!

• Architecture

Instant Answers: Bradford on Avon

Comments

Bradford on Avon Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Bradford on Avon restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bradford on Avon sightseeing.

View all Bradford on Avon hotels