Salisbury Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Salisbury

Horse and groom pub: Horse and Groom pub

by LouiseTopp Updated Dec 12, 2012

Horse and Groom pub

This pub can be found along the busy Wilton Road, there is outside seating in a little garden. Inside is log fires and wood beamed celings. The landlord has two cute dogs which walk around. The pub is situated just along from the law courts and has lots of events going on. i think it is on the site of an older building, but I cant be sure.

Favorite Dish: The Christmas pud was good.

• Women's Travel

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

Yorkshire Fisheries: Fish and Chips

by Airpunk Updated Apr 4, 2011

Yorkshire Fisheries - Fish and Chips

This fish and chips shop is close to the central station. In this informal atmosphere, you will have a large choice of british unhealthy, but tasty food: Pies, cornish pastries, fish and chips (of course) and almost everything you can fry. Take away prices are a little cheaper than in-house prices, but that concept is normal in the UK. Staff is friendly, with their typical rough humour from a traditional fish and chips shop.

Favorite Dish: I had a cornish pasty with gravy and a large serving of chips. I don't know how many calories and how much fat was in that, but it was tasty!

• iwys's Profile Photo

The Wig and Quill: Traditional pub

by iwys Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is a traditional pub with a simple menu. Originally the building was two sixteenth century cathedral servants' cottages. It is listed in the Good Beer Guide. I had the Wiltshire Lamb Chops and they were very good.

• KittyLou's Profile Photo

Prezzo: Good Italian Food

by KittyLou Updated Apr 4, 2011

Prezzo is a chain that started in London. Everything we ate here was wonderful. We even came back with our train pass from another location just to have our evening meal here once again.

Favorite Dish: Tomato Salad with house dressing, Minestrone Soup, Roast Chicken -excellent, as well as a daily special of Spinach Ricatta Calzoni, the pizza looked good also but we never tried it

• Business Travel

The Cornmarket Inn: Excitment & relaxed air

by LouiseTopp Updated Apr 27, 2010

The Cornmarket Inn

The Cornmarket as this inn is known is in The Market Square in Salisbury at 29-32 Cheesemarket. The Cheesemarket was where all the cheeses used to be sold when the market was on every Tues & Sat; my uncle once told me a story about how all the stray dogs used to lift their legs over the cheeses that were on display on the floor! The Inn was once part of the market House & has had many redevelopments; it has 8 integral rooms with colour TV, hairdryer, trouser press, alarm, express dial telephone & tea & coffee making services. There is only one bar with an upper level which has a grand piano, played occasionally by a man who comes in. Toilets are upstairs through a set of swing doors.

Update: I've heard there's a ghost in the gents toilet.

Favorite Dish: You can get a bowlful of chips here for £1.99, the hot chocolate is nice. Dining is from 12-10pm, you order at the bar & they'll bring it to you.

• Business Travel

• SallyM's Profile Photo

Old George Tea Rooms: Good for afternoon tea

by SallyM Updated May 26, 2009

Although it is clearly signed, this tea room is easy to miss, as it is on the upper floor of a building with a gift shop downstairs. It would be a pity to miss it, though, as the cream tea is good value.

Favorite Dish: A cream tea comprising two large and filling scones, jam, clotted cream and a pot of tea costs less than £4.00 (I think it was £3.85) and will definitely keep hunger pangs at bay for quite a while.

As in all good tea rooms, the tea comes with a further pot of hot water for topping up the pot, though they lose a few points for serving teabag tea, rather than loose.

• Seniors
    • Museum Visits

• MarieGutscher's Profile Photo

The Red Lion Hotel - The "Frothblowers Arms": A New Meaning to the Words PUB GRUB!

by MarieGutscher Written Nov 1, 2007

I am pretty sure my husband and I hit every pub in downtown Salisbury!
    Not once was I disapointed by the food that was served. Many of them have
    out door areas to sit at and enjoy the fresh air.

This being said my most memorable pub experience was at The "Frothblowers Arms"
    It had a friendly and relaxing environment with fairly disturbing wall paper but I got over that when the food arrived.

Favorite Dish: I had a lovely salmon steak with a sauce so wonderful I wanted with all my heart and soul to just pick up the plate and lick it! However, being a lady...ok...behaving as a lady would...I didn't. But holy - insert expletive of your choice here - it was amazing!!!

Oh right...service was a bit slow...but to have food like that I would have slept on the floor and waited for breakfast!!

Harbour Fish & Chips: Fish & Chips

by Sjalen Updated Apr 17, 2007

As a British-Swedish family living in Sweden, we were longing for fish & chips when we got to Salisbury and this is what we found. Signs outside say that this place has won awards for best fish & chips in Wiltshire but I can't say I was that impressed even if they were perfectly OK. The batter was not crispy enough for me. Having said that, the fish was certainly cooked to perfection and the mushy peas went down a treat.

Favorite Dish: Haddock and chips.

New Inn: Cosy pub

by Sjalen Updated Apr 16, 2007

This place ooozes atmosphere which is hardly surprising since the inn is from the 14th century and a part of the building later on belonged to a whole row of 16th century Tudor houses. A snug interior with fireplaces and wooden beams is complemented by very friendly staff. You will also find beer from the relatively local Badger brewery and food is served in the evenings. Children are welcome in the no smoking section and in the restaurant. We weren't terribly impressed by the food but perhaps we just picked the wrong things rather than the specials. Summertime there is a marvellous green terrace with a view of the cathedral spire.

Prezzo: Excellent Italian

by Sjalen Written Apr 15, 2007

When we walked around hungry, kitan remembered that this was a VT recommendation so in we went and we were so glad we did! In a lovely half timbered house is this restaurant which is quite trendy inside and has a seating area for those waiting for their table. This is a must as you are well advised to book a table in advance here and we were lucky to just stumble upon a free on. Service is really swift and friendly from the mixed British-Spanish-Italian staff and the food is gorgeous. The pizzas left us full but not to bursting point which is otherwise often the case with pizzas, and the tiramisu was a pure delight as was the coffee. One of those places you are so happy to find in a small city.

Favorite Dish: Loads - shame I didn't have the time to try it all.

• Wine Tasting

The Haunch of Venison: Atmospheric dining

by Sjalen Updated Apr 15, 2007

One of Salisbury's most famous pubs, it has been going since the 1320s, even if it was first only housing cathedral craftsmen before being turned into an inn quite popular with various clergymen and others. The two small rooms downstairs are really cosy and one also has a mummified hand in a glass cabinet, said to come from a gambler who lost it here long, long ago and who supposedly is one of the house ghosts today as things keep happening to staff. Upstairs is a restaurant which aims a bit higher than just pub food but still has typical English things on the menu along with some international creations. The atmosphere is great here too, with a leaning old floor, a fireplace and dark furniture. Service comes with a smile and the bill is higher than average but not too high. Children are welcome in the restaurant part and have a special menu where, again, they've tried to serve them more than just alphabet pasta and chips. There is a local brew on tap along with some more well-known brands and some international but in the restaurant part the wine list is the more impressive.

Favorite Dish: Their huge steak with all sorts of garnishes.

Yummy's? More like Crappies!: Give this a miss

by LouiseTopp Updated Nov 1, 2006

Opposite the railway station is a Chiniese take away called Yummies, it has red letters written upon a yellow back ground. I have been to some Chiniese takeways in the past and they are very good, my friend works in a Chiniese resturant which has top marks; then we discovered this takeaway.

Last night we ordered some food because it was on our way home, we waited age's only to be told that we had been forgotten about!!

We will not be gracing the doorstep of this shop again, and will take our money elsewhere!

Favorite Dish: Food was bloody awful and we didn't get what we ordered in the end, except probably food poisoning as it was only half cooked due to the fact of them trying to get rid of us in a hurry!

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Refrectory Restaurant: Cathedral Visitors Refreshment

by grandmaR Updated May 1, 2006

Grandson and daughter at lunch

We found that there was a restaurant in the visitor's area with a variety of meals, snacks and hot and cold drinks. Open 0930-1730 daily except for Christmas Day

Favorite Dish: Our lunch was 18 pounds for all 4 of us.

I had minestrone and a big hard roll and a Pavlova (which I've always wanted to know what one tasted like), our daughter and grandson shared roast chicken, and Bob had an egg mayo and cress sandwich and apple and a Sprite.

Another good things - the roof was made of glass so that you could look up and see the steeple.

• unexplored's Profile Photo

The Haunch of Venison: Occasionally haunted

by unexplored Updated Apr 13, 2006

An atmospheric pub with panelled walls and oak beams and an interesting range of food.
    During renovation work, a secret alcove was found behind one of the pub's old fireplaces. Inside, workmen were horrified to discover a severed human hand and a yellowed, marked playing card. Perhaps the result of a gruesome justice meted out to a former customer who was caught cheating during a game of cards. The mummified hand is on display in a glass case.

• BadmanSpirits's Profile Photo

So many great pubs, so avoid the chains!

by BadmanSpirits Written Oct 11, 2005

There are so many great pubs, proper pubs, in Salisbury so don't waste your hard-earned in the big name chains. Don't be fooled by the olde-worlde look on the outside, the riverside settings, ivy and pretty lights. The food will be cheap but bland, the beer will be cheap too, hence it will be populated by morons most of the time. Stick to Brewery pubs - The Coach and Horses, Winchester Street. Great food, always a great pint. Alchemy at The Chough, The Market Square. Looks great after the re-furb, comfy sofas, loads of character. The Haunch of Venison, Poultry Cross. Rupert the Chef has a gift from God himself. Ask for the restaurant upstairs. The Cloisters, Catherine Street. Don't go in there in that shiny, new Manchester United shirt you just bought. This place is strictly Rugby and Cricket only and they will sling you out! The Wig and Quill, New Street, next to the Courts. Just for the beer garden, really, local cider too. The Ale House, Crane Street. Does exactly what it says on the tin. Live music Thursdays, I think, plus all the sport on big-screen. Get there early for the football, it fills up sharpish.
    As a rule, if the place has a (Licenced House) Manager instead of a Bar Manager working for a Landlord then run away. I promise you won't have to go far before you find an honest, real, proper pub. For food, places with specials boards are a good rule of thumb. Shows a little thought, n'est pas?
    P.S. If you walk into a pub and it looks like a bad day in Beirut, shoddy, unwelcoming, DON'T feel you owe them a quick pint cos it would be rude not to - go find a better place. Life's too short!

Instant Answers: Salisbury

Comments

Salisbury Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Salisbury restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Salisbury sightseeing.