Stonehenge Favorites

• Favorites
    by SJTravel

Most Recent Favorites in Stonehenge

• ValerianP's Profile Photo

very poor communication towards the public

by ValerianP Written Jan 20, 2013

Favorite thing: just visit something else, a zoo or a theme park like Alton Towers.

Fondest memory: We really wanted to see it, being our first long visit outside London with a big family of 8 people.
    So we prepared from time and looked on the internet for opening times and news.
    Once we got there after a 2:30 hours ride with a rented car, we were told the site is closed... so nothing to see.
    We asked why was this not advertised and they said it is on the website. As we had smartphones with us we looked for the closing announcement... go figure, there was none (at least we did not pay for the entrance :) )

• SJTravel's Profile Photo

Simply Amazing

by SJTravel Updated Jul 28, 2007

Favorite thing: My favorite thing about Stonehenge was actually seeing it. It was amazing and you get to be so close to it. Of course, there are parts where you can actually walk closer to it than others, but I had no clue we would be able to be so close. It is really neat. I definitely recommend seeing this because it is just amazing in person. You will not regret it. One thing I do have to say is that you are completely in the hands of the elements out there. When I visited, it was raining and windy. Although I had an umbrella, there was really no use using it because it kept flipping out. Nobody was using an umbrella. My best advice if it is raining and you are going is to wear rain protective gear. Even though it was raining, it was still worth the experience. I think you get an audio tour for free when you go as well...although I am not positive. I know that when I went, they gave us an audio tour. For more info, check out their website http://www.stonehenge.co.uk/

• National/State Park

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

A Sunny Day

by grandmaR Updated Jun 27, 2007

Grandson lying down looking at the stones

Favorite thing: This was one of my goals to see when I came to England. I wished I could have brought my other grandson out to see the stones when we were in London in June 2007, but we had just gotten off a week's tour on a bus, and I did not want to do more bus touring.

Fondest memory: Sitting on the grass with my grandson and listening to the audio tour tape.

And finally getting to see the site that I had heard so much about.

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

Audio guide

by Sjalen Written Apr 15, 2007

Are you listening?

Favorite thing: Get an audio guide for free once you have paid for the entrance. This will give you interesting information on the stones and how and why they were created, as well as other information on prehistoric times and legends, the rest of the historic Wiltshire countryside and so on. Well worth it to stroll around with the guide to your ear.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Frog Faced Stone

by grandmaR Updated Sep 23, 2006

Heel Stone with the road behind it

Favorite thing: This is the heel stone. It is called the Frog Stone. From the side it does look a little frog-like. It is off by itself but right next to the A344 road. It is unworked sarsen (hard sandstone). One of the mysteries of Stonehenge is that the nearest source for these stones is on the Marlborough Downs, about 30km (18mi) to the NE. The heaviest of them weighs about 45 tons- so were they transported on some type of sledge?

Fondest memory: I didn't think it looked so much like a frog. To me it looked more like the face of a moray eel. The lips and snout of the eel are facing you, the big crack is the mouth, and you can see a hole that looks like an eye on the right of the picture.

But I guess the original namers of the stone didn't know moray eels. So I have included some pictures of some green morey eels (which are hard to take a good picture of because they hide in crevices where it is dark) for comparrison, and one photo of a spotted morey. You can judge for yourself.

• wanderingbtrfly's Profile Photo

Personal electronic guides

by wanderingbtrfly Written Jul 29, 2006

You can see the guide around my neck

Favorite thing: If you do opt for one of their personal electronic guides (the kind you hold in your hand and you press a button to hear the history of the particular place), don't forget to take it off your ear more than occasionally. Listen to what is around you. The wind in your ears, the open English air, the miles and miles of land around you (plus the highway...oh well)- that is something that shouldn't be missed.

• Trains

• DEBBBEDB's Profile Photo

Jet Lagged Children...

by DEBBBEDB Updated Jul 11, 2006

Jet lagged at Stonehenge

Favorite thing: .. are not too interested in Stonehenge. Deb dragged them (jetlag and all) by Stonehenge on the way back from Gatwick.

At Stonehenge Beth's husband found the audio commentary so dull he stopped listening for fear he would fall asleep standing up - of course he had already fallen asleep in the car on the way as he did throughout the week anytime we were being transported. The weather was bright warm and sunny.

Beth's daughter was more interested in the sheep than the rocks. Her son listened to the audio tape for a while but asked about playing baseball and did we have ESPN. BTW, both children were wearing shorts comfortably, to me (Deb) it was hot and hazy.

• National/State Park
    • Archeology

• Marvel at the structure...

by alanatstonehenge Written Mar 9, 2006

Favorite thing: If you are going to Stonehenge, make sure you book to go inside the Stones. Being beside them is quite awe-inspiring and magical. Go at Solstice and join 21000 others enjoying themselves and take no notice of anyone who cannot spell disappointing. Just go, but make sure you visit also, Avebury, which in total circumference, is 33 miles. Built to represent the four ages of Man, the seasons of the Earth and the acknowledgement within the landscape of the Mother Goddess, the place has no equal. And you can get ice-cream at the village post-office.
    Visit www.stonehenge.co.uk for the information you need on both, photos and the people who were at the 2005 Solstice celebration. See you there again this year..

Fondest memory: Ceremony at Sunrise within the Stones.

by Krumlovgirl Written Aug 18, 2005

Favorite thing: You probably want to be there as soon as it opens. Lots and lots of tour groups go there and tourists with tripods and video cameras and bad attitudes will swarm it within hours. I was there in the early part of the summer and apparently it gets even worse as the summer progresses.

by Krumlovgirl Written Aug 18, 2005

by Krumlovgirl Updated Aug 18, 2005

• scotlandscotour's Profile Photo

Stone Circles - Information About Megaliths

by scotlandscotour Updated Jan 14, 2005

Stonehenge Neolithic Monument - Wiltshire, England

Favorite thing: There are hundreds of stone circles you can visit - many free and unspoilt by visitor numbers, fences and commercialism - so why is Stonehenge so famous, so popular?

It is amazing - but spoilt - so like Loch Ness or a blockbuster film, people feel they "must" go there - just to see what all the fuss is about - and to be able to say "they've been". It takes some inner strength and confidence to not pay money ... there is a powerful pull caused by crowds of people and popularity.

Amazing how strong the pull is - how we will ignore the feedback from those who have been - we often do not care - we just have to go in. So what if it is expensive and disappointing - we will have seen it - we will know - and that in itself is worth something to the ego.

For those not following the crowd - view Stonehenge from afar, for free, then head for Avebury. Also consider nearby Woodhenge.

Enjoy the delight of discovering one of the hundreds of other stone circles - and if you are heading to Orkney or Lewis Isles in Scotland - enjoy huge circles for free, and without congestion - let your spirit free and your imagination run wild.

Fondest memory: Driving past on the nearby road, thinking "Is that it?" :-)

See my Orkney Pages or my Stonehenge Page for links to all the best Websites on Stone Circles and Megaliths.

• RACCOON1's Profile Photo

Salisbury

by RACCOON1 Updated Jun 1, 2004

Favorite thing: Stonehenge seems to be an obligatory stop. It is not really a must see.

Maximum time needed is about 30 minutes . Park your car , short walk and return to the car and then leave .

Stonehenge was better before the fences went up , and when you could walk around the stones and touch them .

Best time to go is early morning before the tour buses arrvive.

• saraheg77's Profile Photo

Stonehenge - not what I was expecting

by saraheg77 Updated May 3, 2004

Stonehenge

Favorite thing: I have to admit I was a little disappointed with actually seeing Stonehenge. It wasn't as big as I pictured and you couldn't get very close to it. There is a roped off trail that you walk along that prevents you from getting very close. They do give you little audio tours that were nice to get some information about Stonehenge. But it just seemed so touristy... I guess I just had it pictured differently in my mind.

Fondest memory: Of course I'm glad I went and saw it in person and its history is so fascinating... I just shouldn't have had such expectations, I guess :)

• Kiriel's Profile Photo

Join the Trust

by Kiriel Written Jan 7, 2004

Favorite thing: It costs 5 pounds to get in to Stonehenge. If you are willing to just peer over the fence you can see it from the side of the road, but it is worth the 5 pounds to get the audio tour and all around views.

But.. you can join the English Heritage Trust for 34 pounds and get into Stonehenge, and 400 other castles and properties throughout England for free. The Trust even organise periodic visits to Stonehenge where you can actually go in amongst the stones, rather than having to stand far away behind a rope fence.

I reckon for 34 pounds, you can't go far wrong. You can become a member at Stonehenge itself, or you can even join via their website at http://www.english-heritage.org.uk

• Castles and Palaces

Instant Answers: Stonehenge

Comments

Stonehenge Favorites

Reviews and photos of Stonehenge favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Stonehenge sightseeing.