Stonehenge Warnings and Dangers

warning signs everywhere
    by jusdenise93
    Bad hair day
    by Ken-out-of-Bath
  • Grandson lying on the grass not listening
    Grandson lying on the grass not...
    by grandmaR

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Stonehenge

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

Helicopters

by Sjalen Written Apr 24, 2007

Don't be alarmed if suddenly a helicopter whizzes past above you - quite low flying too! This is probably the reason I saw so few livestock and sheep in the fields on Salisbury Plain. We didn't spot any here - perhaps they're not allowed to fly straight above Stonehenge what do I know - but we kept hearing them all around in the distance.

• Seniors
    • Travel with Pets

• stevezero's Profile Photo

Redevelopment

by stevezero Written Jul 6, 2006

Stonehenge

At present as you drive along the A303, you get a free view of Stonehenge nad you can also park nearby and look through the fence for free. But this may not be the case in future if English Heritage get their way. They plan on buiding a visitor centre some kms away and transporting everyone to the site on some sort of Noddy train (at a cost of course) They also plan taking the present road under the site in a tunnel, so you will no longer get a view from the road.

• Architecture

The Danger of Bad Photography

by grandmaR Updated Feb 11, 2006

Backlighted in strong sun

In addition to the difficulty in getting a picture without a lot of people in it (see 2nd photo), there is also the lighting of the site itself. This picture was taken with a point and shoot film camera at about 2:15 p.m. (the camera is still on EDT which is why the dateline says it was taken at 9:15), and the sun is so strong that not many details are visible.

When we visited here, I was just starting to use my digital camera, and had already taken some pictures at Salisbury, so my camera battery was running low. That's why I have so few digital pictures.

Not Enough Audio Information Tapes

by grandmaR Updated Apr 17, 2005

Bob with audio tour next to unknown woman

When we visited, there were a lot of people there, and there weren't enough of the audio tours to go around. Some of them that were there didn't work because their batteries had run down or they had some other problems. We could only get one for the four of us. I walked out of the tunnel, and commandeered some of them from some kids who were leaving. And later I found one on one of the benches that someone had left.

Our daughter and grandson had been before so they weren't quite as important for them. I found the pace too slow for me, so Bob did the most listening.

The audio tours are included in the admission price. You don't have to pay for an additional guide.

Respect the Chains

by grandmaR Written Apr 9, 2005

Shows road up to stones and barriers around them

I'm sorry that I did not get to visit this site in 1950 the first time I came to England. At that time, I could have walked right into the middle of the circle. In those days people were even encouraged to take a bit of stone with them.

Nowadays the only way you can get in among the stones is to take a special tour like this one

Cost per party: up to 2 Pax: Dusk/6 hours £395

I have not done this.

• Luxury Travel

• Ken-out-of-Bath's Profile Photo

The Birds

by Ken-out-of-Bath Written Jan 28, 2005

Bad hair day

"Birds of all kinds suddenly begin to attack people, in increasing numbers and with increasing viciousness. "

Tagline from Hitchcock's "Birds"!

The black birds all around Stonehenge look majestic and don't mind you taking their pictures but get too close and they will let you know that they are not happy!

• Architecture

• jusdenise93's Profile Photo

Can't touch the stone

by jusdenise93 Updated Jul 20, 2009

warning signs everywhere

Don't expect that you can touch the stones, there's a circular chain going around the rocks, and there's fairly a great amount distance. So it's not possible to get close to the rocks.

Instant Answers: Stonehenge

Comments

Stonehenge Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Stonehenge warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Stonehenge sightseeing.