Hathersage Restaurants

• Pool Cafe - Yummy Apple and raspberry pie
    Pool Cafe - Yummy Apple and raspberry...
    by suvanki

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Pool Cafe and Tea Rooms: Cafe with open air pool

by suvanki Updated Mar 3, 2013

Pool Cafe - Outside seating

Although I've visited Hathersage many times, my first visit to The Pool Cafe/ Pool Cafe and Tearooms/ Oddfellows Pool Cafe was in 2011, when I was reccying a venue for our Hathersage VT meet - it was an ideal choice!

This was awarded the 2010 Cafe of the Year, by Sheffield and District CTC, beating 27 other cafes in Sheffield and N. Derbyshire for the title, after 2 years of being runner up.

Taking advantage of the unseasonably hot weather, I sat outside at one of the picnic tables.
    There is a hatch to order take-aways, including the delicious local Hope Valley ice cream, or sandwiches to take on a walk etc. Fish and Chips is another popular treat on a Friday evening!

I went inside to order my food, where there was a tempting display of home made cakes. (Apparently some of these are donated by the local WI (Womens Institute)
    I decided on a wedge of Apple and Raspberry pie, with the choice of cream, custard or ice cream ..... decisions decisions! I also ordered a cup of tea.
    Friendly, helpful staff.

I was handed a wooden spoon with my order number on it, and went back to sit in the sun.

Many of the customers appeared to have either completed a walk or were taking a break. This is a popular place for those enjoying walking/climbing/cycling etc.

I enjoyed perusing the menu, while I waited for my pie.
    A tempting choice of food and drinks at reasonable prices - (2011)

Pot of tea -£1.50
    Cafetierre of coffee for 1 £2 - for 2 persons £3.75
    Hot choc £1.60 ....with marshmallows and cream £1.99
    Childrens pop/cordial 60p
    Coke/lemonade/sprite £1.25

All Day Breakfast (or Vegetarian Breakfast) including pot of tea/mug of coffee £5.95
    Hot butties from £2.50

Sandwiches £2.95-£4.25
    Burgers £4.75 - £4.95
    Also Daily Specials Board

Seating inside (9 tables) and outside
    Wheelchair access by ramp, but toilet not wheelchair accessible yet.
    Free Car Parking for customers

Tue/Thur/Fri 08.00 - 19.30
    Wed 08.00 - 20.00
    Sat/Sun 08.00 - 18.00

Winter
    08.00 - 18.00 daily (open till 19.00 on Fridays for take-aways, including Fish & Chips)

Facebook Page

Favorite Dish: I thoroughly enjoyed my generous slice of hot Apple and Raspberry Pie, with a good dollop of locally made Hope Valley Vanilla ice cream!

A good cup of tea, which came with a home made biscuit went down well!

May 2011, The Pool Cafe was our meet up point - where the delicious breakfasts and pots of tea/ coffees were much appreciated - A great start to our day!

March 2013, after a morning walking near Stanage Edge, we decided to head here for a late lunch - Phil enjoyed his 'Homemade Hikers Hash' served in a large Yorkshire Pud. I opted for ham, double fried eggs and chips along with a pot of tea each.
    Again, the tea arrived with the home made biscuit and again the portions were very generous - so much so that I had no room left for dessert - I had been looking forward to their rhubarb and apple crumble with custard!

• suvanki's Profile Photo

The Scotsmans Pack: Traditional Inn

by suvanki Updated Mar 3, 2013

Scotsmans Pack

During the 90's I discovered this place on recommendation of the owner of the B&B that we were staying at, and returned many times with my partner and or parents due to the quality of the food served here. I always looked forward to the vegetables, which tasted as fresh as if they'd just been pulled from the garden! If anyone suggested going out to Derbyshire for a meal or a drink, this was always my 1st choice, and it became a tradition to eat here the week before Christmas.

Sadly, I'd not visited this restaurant for over 10 years, until I called in for a drink, and to book a table for our VT meet in 2010

Well, the decor and furnishings looked the same - traditional dark wood furnishings and bar. Plenty of ornaments and brass plates. Look for the Jane Austin plate and Little John Chair.

The 'Specials' Blackboard was still in place (pic 2) - and still had a vast array of choices - Meat, fish and Game as well as vegetarian options. check the website for an example of bar menu etc (Though I'm not sure how up to date this is) Daily 'Sunday Roast' dinners

Real ales - a selection of 5 real ales including Pedigree, with guest beers changing on a monthly basis. Also a good selection of wines and soft drinks.

I had a sparkling mineral water with 'ice and a slice' £1.80, which I took outside to the small beer garden, which is at the side of the inn, next to a slow running stream. I'd already eaten, otherwise I would have eaten here.

This place is still popular with walkers/climbers as well as couples/families out for a meal.

When I used to come here, the bar man was quite a legend, as he never smiled - or if he did, it wasn't witnessed...... although not unpleasant, he wasn't exactly welcoming. Checking out TA, a couple of reviews have mentioned an unwelcoming bar man............ could it be that this was another fixture that hadn't altered????

Well.... We all enjoyed our meal here - the food was up to its usual high standards. - many of the other diners were quite bemused by us and a few asked about VT. Ricky52 had arranged with the staff to allow us to eat a dessert that he'd provided in honour of yumyum (Sonja) - yumyums - a sweet similar to doughnuts.

Oh- the barman - Yes, still the same man, but he was quite sociable with us and joined in with our banter, enquiring about VT and how we all knew each other.

Opening Hours
    Monday - Friday 11:30-15.00 and 18.00 -23.00
    Saturday 11:30-23.00
    Sunday 12.00 -22.30
    Food served 12.00 - 21.30

Accommodation

5 en-suite rooms
    3 doubles and 1 twin (£75 per night)(2011)
    1 single (£45.00 per night)

Favorite Dish: Everything that I've eaten here has been excellent!

Portions are generous, freshly cooked and using quality ingredients.

A good selection on the menu and an extensive 'Specials ' board (pic 2)

• Beer Tasting

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

Scotman's Pack Country Inn: Heavenly Home Made Food!

by spidermiss Updated May 19, 2011

Scotman's Pack Country Inn

On the VT Meeting, 2nd May 2011, we had lunch at the Scotman's Pack Inn. I had the Shepherd's Pie with seasonal vegetables which was very enjoyable. It was a generous portion and this cost me approximately 9.50 gbp. The inn has a nice homely and lively atmosphere and accommodation is available.

Favorite Dish: I had the homemade Shepherd's Pie with seasonal vegetables (included vegetables such as parsnip, cooked red cabbage, swede). It was so good and the portions were very generous.

• alyf1961's Profile Photo

THE SCOTSMAN'S PACK: DELICIOUS FOOD

by alyf1961 Written May 8, 2011

The lunch here was delicious.
    I had lamb shank. It came with a small amount of potato on the plate and vegetables in a side dish.
    The actual shank was massive and it took me all my will power to eat it all.
    One nice thing about pubs that serve food these days is that they now serve nice coffee, latte’s and cappuccino’s.

Favorite Dish: THE LAMB SHANK WAS AMAZING

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

Oddfellows Pool Cafe and Tea Room: Great breakfast - a good start to the day!!!

by Gillybob Written May 7, 2011

Oddfellows Pool Cafe & Tea Room

For our day out in the countryside, we decided to start with gathering to the Pool Cafe in Hathersage. This then gave those VTers who had had an early start to the day to fortify themselves with breakfast and for us all to have a quick catch up before starting the day's activities. VTers enjoyed sausage barms, bacon barms, full English breakfast, scrambled egg on toast as well as the traditional tea and coffee.

Oddfellow Pool Cafe and Tea Room is located adjacent to Hathersage's (heated) outdoor swimming pool which is currently (May 2011) under renovation.

Summer opening times :
    Friday 08:00 to 19:30
    Saturday 08:00 to 18:00
    Sunday 08:00 to 18:00

Winter opening times :
    From 08:00 to 18:00 (excepting Fridays till 19:00 for take-aways, including Fish & Chips)

The café has a light, airy main room as well as outdoor seating. Limited parking is available outside whilst there is a large pay and display car park opposite.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed the Full English Breakfast which included bacon, sausage, friend egg, mushrooms, tomato and beans which was served with a choice of fried bread or toast as well as tea or coffee. It was a great way to start the day and set me up for the walk around Hathersage which we wee about to undertake.

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

Scotman's Pack: Good quality pub food!!

by Gillybob Updated May 7, 2011

The Scotman's Pack

The Scotman's Pack is one of the best known countryside pubs for residents of Sheffield and its surrounds. Often popular at lunchtime for those enjoying a day out in the country, it serves good quality food and offers a wide range of dishes to suit all appetites.

Historically, Scotsman's Pack stood at one end of an old track which lead to Sheffield and was a regular calling place. The 'Packman' visited the farms and villages of the area offering goods for sale and telling the news of the day. Packmen who travelled from Scotland sold their tweeds here to local farmers and were offered rest.

The pub has large indoor seating areas as well as a small beer garden to the side, which is edged with a babbling brook and small waterfall.

On Monday, 2 May 2011, we had a VT meet to Hathersage and, thanks to the local knowledge of member Suvanki, Scotman's Pack was chosen as the lunch venue. VTers enjoyed duck, lamb shank, belly pork, vegetarian haggis, chicken and chorizo, cottage pie and other dishes which were all accompanied by a selection of vegetables.

The pub has a large specials board which offers some great dishes to choose from so its worth checking it out before you lend your attention to the menu itself.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed the chicken and chorizo which was on offer on the specials board during our visit. The chorizo was excellent and the chicken deliciously cooked. It was served on a bed of mash potato and I enjoyed green beans, red cabbage, cauliflower and carrots with it.

Whilst prices are higher than your average pub, this is not average pub fare and that's why I have indicated prices as average. Scotman's Pack is closer in comparison to a gastro pub and, as such, their prices are average.

Instant Answers: Hathersage

Comments

Hathersage Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Hathersage restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Hathersage sightseeing.