Hersham Travel Guide

The top table
    cross stitch sampler

Hersham Restaurants

by Janani Updated Oct 14, 2005

My aunt and uncle took me to eat here when I stayed with them for a weekend and I didn’t really have high expectations of such a small, local restaurant, expecting pre packaged sauces over a variety of meats but in fact there was plenty of choice for vegetarians and all the food we ordered seemed freshly cooked, with a tasty blend of spices, although they were a bit sparing with the chilli for my tastes!

Even though it was Saturday night and quite busy, the restaurant had a relaxing rather than lively atmosphere, with a clientele consisting mostly of families, and the staff were attentive and helpful when my aunt was trying to work out which dish she'd enjoyed so much on her previous visit. The food arrived promptly, once we had ordered, but we didn't feel hurried at all. The restaurant provides a takeaway service too.

Favorite Dish: We ordered a delicious mushroom dish and one based on potatoes, both without any sauce and some naan bread which was very light and went well with both. My aunt and uncle also had a chicken dish accompanied by rice, which they must have enjoyed very much on their previous visit, as that's why they had wanted to return. It seemed to be just as good second time around, judging by the way it disappeared!

naan

Hersham Transportation

by Janani Updated Jan 17, 2006

Trains for Hersham are run by South West Trains on the line between London Waterloo and Woking (or occasionally Guildford) although not every train for these destinations would stop there, as it is a minor station. Trains generally leave Waterloo at 20 and 50 minutes past the hour on weekdays and Saturdays and at 10 and 40 minutes past the hour on Sundays. The journey takes half an hour. To return to Waterloo, you can catch a train from Hersham at 19 or 49 minutes past the hour. Costs start at ?4.70 for an off peak standard class single, rising to ?18.20 for a first-class peak-time day return.

If you have just missed a stopping train to Hersham, it may be worth taking the next fast train to Surbiton, as you can often catch up with the one you've missed and, even if you don't, at least you can sit comfortably in the waiting room while you wait for the next one, rather than standing on the concourse at Waterloo. If you will be met at the station by someone with a car, it is better to arrange to meet at the next station Walton on Thames which has better facilities for parking and more frequent, faster trains than Hersham.

South West Trains Standard Class
    • Trains

Hersham Shopping

by Janani Written Sep 27, 2005

This is perhaps my aunt’s favourite place in Hersham and I can easily see why! It’s not in fact a shop, although they do sell things, it’s a beauty salon and an excellent one too. My aunt has treated me to a visit here a couple of times and I’ve enjoyed every minute I’ve spent here. The salon has a comfortable reception area with friendly welcoming staff and the treatment rooms are dimly lit to give a relaxing atmosphere. There are several beauty therapists working there and all of the ones I’ve met seem to have the perfect manner for this kind of work.

The Nutrivital dry skin facial I had here was excellent; I could feel the difference for days afterwards and the wonderful pedicure lasted for a month too. I have had a manicure here recently and didn’t need to replace the polish for a week. All the treatments I had were very enjoyable too, as they included a thorough massage and the beauty therapist seemed very skilled at this aspect of her job.

What to buy: To maintain the results of the facials, the salon sells all the Decleor products for home use.
    They also sell Essie nail polishes, which give a lovely glossy finish and are quick to dry and long lasting.

What to pay: Nutrivital Facial: 1 hour 15 mins - £47.00
    Pedicure 1 hour £28.00
    Manicure 1 hour £22.00

Logo
    • Women's Travel
    • Spa and Resort

Hersham Favorites

by Janani Updated Nov 3, 2005

Fondest memory: Hersham has a lot of trees and these seem to have some slightly unusual residents; in addition to the usual blackbirds and doves, there are some very pretty and rather noisy ring necked parakeets which are lime green with a rosy pink ring round their necks and there is also a peacock! My aunt’s mother-in-law hosts his breakfast each day and he often spends the morning in her garden, occasionally dropping one of his beautiful tail feathers by way of a tip! After that he goes off to visit other friends during the afternoon, presumably for lunch and dinner!

Unfortunately he and my camera have never managed to be there at the same moment, so I took this picture of one of his feathers that my aunt keeps in an arrangement at home. When I met him, he seemed very friendly and not at all timid; he proudly strutted about to display his tail, both open fully and trailing beneath him perched high on the fence. I wasn’t treated to any of his singing, which my aunt says was fortunate as his voice is much less elegant than his appearance!

feather arrangement feather
    • Birdwatching

Instant Answers: Hersham

Comments

Hersham Travel Guide
Map of Hersham