Isle of Wight Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Isle of Wight

• Ming Garden, Newport: waited 2 hours for main course. Birthday ruined

by MarceloF7 Written May 22, 2014

Worse place ever!!! Went to ming garden for my birthday with 10 people. Waited 45 mins for starters, 2 hours for main course. Food arrived cold or lukewarm. Drinks returned as flat. No apology manager did not care. !!! Birthday total ruined !!!!

Favorite Dish: None of it. Worse experience ever had.

• ricky52's Profile Photo

Morgans: Good honest food.

by ricky52 Written Sep 23, 2012

Morgans.

It was at Morgan's that we had our last evening meal and a good choice it was.
    Thursday nights they have a special pasta evening which meant you could have any pasta dish and a glass of wine for less than a tenner.

Not the place for a quiet romantic evening meal, but full of atmosphere with friendly helpful staff.

Favorite Dish: Sheila had mussels with garlic and white wine and I had the barbecue spare ribs for starters.
    We both had the battered haddock, Sheila had chips and I had onion rings, the blob on the plate was home made tartare sauce which was very nice.

Good food that did not cost the Earth.

• ricky52's Profile Photo

The Crab: Don't be fooled by its prettiness.

by ricky52 Updated Sep 20, 2012
    Quaint it ain't.

You can't help but fall I love with the sight of the Crab.
    Lovely old thatched cottage type building.
    Lit up at night, it does look good.

Part of a chain, the menu was the usual pub type grub, nothing special, but you would expect it to be cooked properly.

Our taxi driver took us here and recommended the place, and as you know, they always say that if you are in a new place and want something decent to eat, ask your cab driver. Someone said that this driver may have been on some kind of a kickback from this pub.

We booked our table, we were told that it would be 30-40 minutes, no problem and we went to the bar for a drink.
    We sat at the end of the bar next to one of the tills; we were talking and people watching.
    I noticed a customer come up and order a couple of gins and tonic, they were £4 each. The barman gave the customer his £2 change from the £10 tendered and it was at this point I noticed that the barman was stealing from the pub, he had only rung one of the drinks through the till, making himself £4. At this point I should have realised that not everything was as it should be at this pub. The barman became wary of me and refused to use the same till again.
    Shortly afterwards we were called to our table.

Favorite Dish: I have got to tell you that this pub was crowded and we had to wait for a table even on a Wednesday night.
    What we found out later was that it is mainly the tourists that ate here and most of the locals only go in for a drink.

We had pate and fishcakes for starters, which were fine.
    Sheila had sea bass fillets which was ok other that there was too much sauce on the dish.
    I had battered haddock; I don’t eat a lot of chips so I asked for salad instead.
    When my dish arrived, it looked like the salad had been deep fried; the batter on the fish was soggy and worst of all, there were bones in my fish.
    The soggy batter gave me terrible indigestion and later I was not feeling comfortable at all.

Just to some up the bad night we had, it bloody well rained.
    I was not a happy bunny.

The Dairyman's Daughter: Quirky Village Pub

by ricky52 Written Sep 19, 2012

The Dairyman's Daughter came as a bit of a surprise to us, we were not expecting it to be as nice as it was.
    Looking like an old fashioned village pub with all of its knick knacks all over the interior (No doubt, a cleaners nightmare) it looked and felt cosy.
    We only had a couple of drinks here but all the food that was brought out looked good and well presented.

• ricky52's Profile Photo

The Pantry: Not sure if I would like to eat here.

by ricky52 Written Sep 19, 2012

A lot of visitors to our country have often complained about the quality of British food.
    If their first encounter with British food is anything like "The Pantry" who can blame them.

When you walk into the Pantry, it looks like a works canteen, and a shabby one at that.

Rows and rows of pies, of various descriptions, were under the heat lamps on the counter ready for the masses, giving you the impression that all you were getting to eat that day was pies.

Favorite Dish: We just bought cold drinks and left.

The Met: Good Tapas

by ricky52 Written Sep 18, 2012

What we like about the Met was that it was on the sea front.
    People watching as you dined was interesting.
    The staff were great and attentive.

Favorite Dish: I had the Tapas, fried chorizo sausage, chilli & garlic prawns and piri piri chicken with a lime and coriander dressed salad.
    Sheila had a sea bass with cabbage and new potatoes.

• zuriga's Profile Photo

RICHMOND ARMS: TRADITIONAL FARE

by zuriga Written May 16, 2006

RICHMOND ARMS

The Richmond Arms probably looked the same 10 years ago and served the same food 10 years ago. This isn't a criticism but a fond reference to our dinner which was adequate and filling. I think the staff tries hard to satisfy all diners, and the food was fine. Things are made to order, so we had a bit of a wait till our mains arrived. It's right down the road from the very popular, Spyglass Inn. We'll give that a go next visit.

• zuriga's Profile Photo

FULTON'S CHOP AND SEAFOOD: BEST RESTAURANT ON THE ISLAND?

by zuriga Written May 15, 2006

Fulton's has to be the best or nearly the best restaurant on the island. The fresh seafood is delicious, and I indulged with a two pound lobster that was heavenly and beautifully served. Any of the freshly caught fish are equally deserving of a try. Fulton's is modern, has a great staff and we had a wonderful meal. Do book ahead, especially in Summer.

• ricky52's Profile Photo

Marconi's Licensed Tea Rooms: Good coffee and tea.

by ricky52 Written Sep 18, 2012

Smaller of the two cafes here but with good quality drinks and snacks.

Favorite Dish: Tea and coffee alongside muffins and sandwiches and cold drinks.

Instant Answers: Isle of Wight

Comments

Isle of Wight Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Isle of Wight restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Isle of Wight sightseeing.

View all Isle of Wight hotels