Kirkcaldy Restaurants

restaurant seen from harbour
    another harbour view

Most Recent Restaurants in Kirkcaldy

• iaint's Profile Photo

Craig Millar @16 West End: Exceptional!

by iaint Updated Aug 25, 2012

restaurant seen from harbour

Just back from my 2nd visit in 2 years. Last time it was dinner - this time lunch.

It wins awards, and it deserves them. 80% of the menu is fish, as you'd expect from the name.

Service is great - professional but still friendly; quick, but you're not rushed.

The surroundings lovely, with a view out over the Firth of Forth.

The food really is 5 star - small portions but superb. My companion had halibut followed by cheese with (homemade) oatcakes. She loved it, and she's used to the best.

Be sure to book if you decide to go.

Its right on the harbour. St Monans is very picturesque, so a pre/post meal walk round the village is recommended (if the weather is OK).

Favorite Dish: Scallops with a pancetta risotto. Scallops cooked just right. Risotto tasty but not heavy.

• Beaches

Green Hotel: try it...

by iaint Written Aug 13, 2011

I had dinner in Jock’s Bar this week - my 2nd visit to the place this year. It’s only a 20 minute drive from Kirkcaldy if you know the road and it’s quiet. 22 minutes otherwise...

The dinner was very good - the Mexican platter. This involved a bowl of chili con carne, a couple of tortillas, some nachos with cheese and jalapeños, plus salsa, sour cream & guacamole dips. All washed down with an enormo Diet Coke. £10 including tip!

I was in a group of 10, and (with 1 exception) everyone enjoyed the food. The exception was the chicken curry, which the recipient designated “bland & boring”. Maybe he’s a vindaloo man?

The service was efficient & friendly - less than an hour from arrival to departure. We had a meeting after the dinner, so we wanted something speedy.

The hotel has a more formal restaurant as well, which I’ve never tried.

My previous visit was to its concert venue. It has a regular programme of live music in a small hall which (I’m told) used to be the swimming pool. I saw Colin Blunstone - now in his late 60s (at least) but lead singer in the Zombies in the 1960s and then in the Alan Parsons Project. Excellent venue and excellent performance.

The venue seems to specialise in acts which will appeal to the 40/50/60 y-o market. Small Faces coming up... Mick Hucknall (of Simply Red) deputising for Rod Stewart. Could be worse!

Favorite Dish: Ha ha... only tried one!

The Waterfront: reliable

by iaint Updated Jul 10, 2011

Friendly service and good food/wine

UPDATE!

Just been back last night after a 5 year gap. We had a lovely dinner - mussels (cream & chilli sauce, in my case) then duck breast witha pineapple salsa. Then chocolate panacotta! Excellent and good service.

£70 for 2 - 3 courses plus a bottle of white.

The chef/owner has just retired after 30+ years of lecturing in cooking at the local further education college.

Favorite Dish: Lobster!!!

• iaint's Profile Photo

Beveridge Park Hotel: good enough...

by iaint Updated Aug 26, 2010

There for a Christmas lunch in December 07. My first visit since new owners took over.

As these things go, it was above average, but then it was not cheap either. £26 for 3 courses (turkey etc) plus 2 glasses of wine.

The service was good & so are the surroundings. The food was good quality - not always the case at these functions!

It has a good location close to the town centre and the railway station.

UPDATE

Finally went back for dinner in August '10. Menu is a mixture of Indian and European food. My client and I both ordered Indian stuff, and mine was good. He seemed happy enough too. Quick friendly service.

The bar had to be "closed" early because a rowdy bunch of drunks from the function suite were trying to use it - in actual fact they kept it open and just told the drunks it had closed. Spoiled the atmosphere of course...

Favorite Dish: Well, turkey I suppose. I would think of going back when the normal menu is available!

UPDATE

The chicken tikka is good too!

• Trains

• iaint's Profile Photo

Dunnikier House Hotel: a find!

by iaint Written Jun 26, 2010

I've been to this place often recently for breakfast - a business networking event - and one of the happy networkers recommended I try lunch/dinner.

Had an excellent lunch there this week. A beetroot, goat's cheese & chicory salad, then chicken, then panna cotta with blueberries.

Good service, pleasant place & good food.

Can't comment on prices - my client paid after he'd picked my brain dry.

Favorite Dish: The beetroot, goat's cheese & chicory salad. Really good!

Anstruther Fish Bar: award winner

by iaint Written Jun 5, 2010

This place is a Fife institution, and famous throughout Scotland. Traditional Scottish fish & chips, but at the very pinnacle of the business.

It regularly wins awards, resulting in queues all day every day.

You can sit in the restaurant, or as we did, take your food across the street and eat it on the harbour wall. We were truly blessed with a beautiful sunny June afternoon, so that was perfect. Sunshine, the smell of the sea, and fish & chips.

Haddock is what the Scots usually eat as fish & chips - not cod, as in England. Haddock has much more flavour. Mine was wonderful.

We queued for about 20 minutes - just long enough to make me a bit grumpy - but it was worth it.

Anstruther is about 30-40 minutes from Kirkcaldy, depending on how many buses/caravans/tractors you meet on the road.

Favorite Dish: Haddock & chips. Super fresh fish with tons of flavour.

The Clubhouse: Breakfast!

by iaint Updated Dec 1, 2009

Now a regular haunt for a monthly business breakfast. I've never been in for lunch or dinner.

Well decorated. The service is usually friendly & efficient, even at 8.30am. Menu is good and prices OK. Crucially at breakfast time - the coffee is good!

I'm a sucker for the eggs benedict but what other people eat looks fine as well.

OK - it's a bit way from Kirkcaldy, but worth going in if passing!

EB plus a large espresso will set you back £6.20.

Favorite Dish: Eggs benedict!

The Grouse & Claret: recommended

by iaint Updated Mar 8, 2009

Had a good lunch here in November 08. Only had one course, but the rest of the menu looked interesting.

Service was very slick. The food was good. Surroundings are comfortable, with views out to the fishing lake.

Its location is 2 minutes from the Edinburgh- Perth motorway, so very handy if you're passing. The place has its own fishing lake, an art gallery and accommodation. It's close to Vane Farm nature reserve (see my "things to do" tips) so ideal for before or after.

£23 for 2 main courses + coffee.

UPDATE!

Went for dinner here in March 09. Excellent, as for lunch.

However, cost was £73 for 3 people - main courses, desserts but not much drink (2 or 3 soft ones, plus a small glass of house red). No coffees. My lamb ( 2 small pieces) was £19.50. All round, portions were small.

Excellent quality but I'm not convinced it was worth that price.

Favorite Dish: Has to be the lamb tajine!

• Birdwatching
    • Fishing

Garvock House Hotel: excellent

by iaint Updated Jan 9, 2008

Just back from a really pleasant lunch. I've been here many times, but not for a while.

OK its Dunfermline, not Kirkcaldy, but its only 12 miles and I'm not about to start a Dunfermline homepage.

Its a traditional Scottish "country house" style of place, which is not usually my style. Big wood paneled dining room with heavy curtains...

Anyway, great food and friendly professional service.

My guest and I were about the only people of working age (which made me feel young).

Favorite Dish: I had a parsnip soup (great January food) and confit of duck on stir fried veggies.

Yummeee.

Driving (and working), so diet Pepsi was the nearest I got to the wine list!

Dean Park Hotel: personal service

by iaint Updated Oct 5, 2007

in summer sun

We were only customers (Tuesday lunchtime) in the restaurant (bunch of rowdy Rotarians in function suite), and service was personal & excellent.
    Sometimes if a place is quiet, the staff lose their rhythm and service is poor, but that didn't happen. Attentive but not obtrusive.

Good lunchtime menu; big choice, reasonably priced.
    I had pork loin in a mustard sauce. Excellent, and not heavy.

Favorite Dish: Last time I had steak, and it was very good as well. Which is favourite? Hard to choose.

I suppose at lunchtime I can enjoy the pork with a diet coke or mineral water, but if I have steak the taste buds yearn for a glass of red!

The Golf Hotel, Crail: seaside stuff

by iaint Updated May 6, 2007

historic howff

Very old hotel (1721) in small fishing village on eastern tip of Fife. OK, its not in Kirkcaldy - its a 45 minute drive, but its worth it.
    Friendly service, reasonable prices, historic atmosphere and good food.

Favorite Dish: We had crab salad. Crab tasted so fresh - of the sea. Harbour is only 100m away. Salad leaves etc just as fresh. I was dying for a glass of dry white, but driving...

• Beaches

Pane e Vino: disappointing

by iaint Updated Mar 2, 2007

Looks inviting enough. Staff have usual Italian pseudo obsequious attitude. Decor OK. Tables a bit to close together.

Very limited lunchtime menu though, but at £6.99 for 3 courses it looked good value.

Food uninspired. I couldn't decide if my chicken was a bit undercooked, or just had a weird texture. Decided not to take a chance.

Here's the crunch - waiter not even a little bit interetsted in why it wasn't eaten!

French fries OK (maybe thats all customers care about) and espresso too.

Favorite Dish: none!

Cafe Continental: good lunch

by iaint Written Jan 17, 2007

Pub/cafe/restaurant type place. Quiet when I was there (Wednesday lunch). Has restaurant area separate from pub/cafe.
    Service was good, lunch menu very broad. I had chicken Caesar salad which was fresh & excellent, although the ingredients would not be the "classic" version of the recipe. My companion's chicken sandwich looked very good too.
    Has outdoor seating, but not when its snowing thank you.
    Its in a "hidden" location just off the high st, but has a big car park just opposite.

Favorite Dish: Caesar salad!

The Exchequer: one to miss

by iaint Written Dec 9, 2006

Typical brewery/chain pub/restaurant. Usually these places are reliable, but dull. I had a steak + ale pie which you could have played football with. Death by microwave. Even worse were the veggies. Supposedly boiled, but dried up and browning at edges. A disgrace.

My colleague was paying, or I would have made a big scene. I think he saw how bad it was, and was embarrassed anyway

Favorite Dish: The french fries were edible.

• The Old Rectory: Excellent food

by Greylady Updated Feb 2, 2005

This place has a warm, cosy atmosphere and the owners are always very helpful.

Favorite Dish: Chicken Curry with all the trimmings to go with it. I always decide to have something different when I go, but end up with this as it is so tasty.
    For starter, they sometimes have black pudding with onion confit served on a potato mash which is scrumptious.
    Puddings are always lovely.

Instant Answers: Kirkcaldy

Comments

Kirkcaldy Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Kirkcaldy restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kirkcaldy sightseeing.