Lairg Shopping

Look who's here
    London Goods
    by scottishvisitor
    I've seen this before somewhere

Most Recent Shopping in Lairg

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo

Falls of Shin Gift Shop: The Harrods of the North

by scottishvisitor Updated Aug 21, 2008

Look who's here

Who would have thought you could bump into Mohamed Al Fayed in the wilds of Sutherland. Here he is kilted out and ready to take his dog for a walk or maybe more likely a stalk. He owns the nearby Balnagown Estate as a country retreat so why not have a wax work courtesy of Madam Tussaud's. He has even brought a little bit of Knightsbridge with him to keep the tourists happy. It was loads of fun watching other people snap away including me, that is after I stopped laughing and could nearly hold my camera steady.

What to buy: Why anyone would want something with 'Harrods' emblazed upon it I will never know, but here plenty of people bought the famous bag. There is a very good selection of local food, sweet and local souvenirs. I did like their book section and the many postcards, so this is what I ended up buying. Oh and fun umbrellas for the kids.

What to pay: The book was reduced in price from £25.99 to £15.00 Prices are reasonable for a touristy place and I did think the Harrods stuff was cheaper here. Maybe surplus stock!

• Travel with Pets
    • Hiking and Walking

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo

Sutherland Sporting Company: For the hunting shooting and fishing folk

by scottishvisitor Updated Aug 17, 2008

The Sutherland Sporting Company is my kind of place to unfold their garments to have a peek at the price tags and wonder if they have put the decimal point at the wrong digit. Invariably an assistant will creep up behind you and reinstate your destruction. I didn't dare take a photo here, I really think they would have thrown me out, but I'm sure you get the picture, this place is not for tourists. More suited to the landed gentry or estate owners (is there a difference) Their web site states 'Do you have your own estate and have you got a uniform for yourself and employees - if not set yourself apart and have a tweed outfit designend and registered for your estate' The Sutherland Sporting Company are proud to announce they look after 70 estates in Sutherland and Rosshire. If you have an estate which includes you and another three they will happily come to your humble abode and get your measure.

What to buy: When I win the lottery I would be happy to spend some money here, have an estate and create a one off uniform for my employees. At this time I would have been hard pushed to buy a pair of socks even with their generous reduction from £17.99 to £14.99. It is nice to see how the other half live! You can also buy their 'goods' at Skibo Castle home to the pretentious Carnegie club.

What to pay: I didn't pay a brass farthing I'm still waiting to win mega bucks

• Hiking and Walking
    • Travel with Pets

Instant Answers: Lairg

Comments

Lairg Shopping

Reviews and photos of Lairg shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lairg sightseeing.