Largs Restaurants

Food, Lounge restaurant, Largs, UK.
    by planxty
    Food, Lounge restaurant, Largs, UK.
    by planxty
    Lounge restaurant, Largs, UK.

Most Recent Restaurants in Largs

• planxty's Profile Photo

Lounge restaurant.: What exactly is it?

by planxty Written Dec 13, 2011

Lounge restaurant, Largs, UK.

I often have this problem with writing VT tips but a place that is a restaurant, bar, function room and night music venue is a little different to categorise. In this case I shall put it under restaurant tips as I had a delightful meal with a group of dear friends there on the eve of the wedding of two of the number. We were seated promptly and drinks duly ordered.

A look round the place showed it to be quite stylish, with the dining room area being wood pannelled and slightly Victorian in feel. It was very pleasant. Dining orders were taken and we settled down for some good conversation as many of us had not seen each other for some time, with a few of the party even having travelled from overseas.

My friend who had organised the event she is a brilliant organiser) had worked out some sort of deal so I would be guessing as to price (I have to as it will not let me save this tip without) and I would point you towards the attached website for current prices.

I had opted for a starter of scallops served on black pudding as these are two favourite ingredients of mine and the concept of marrying them intrigued me. I can tell you it worked a treat. The scallops, which can very easily become tough is overcooked, were done to a turn and the whole thing was excellent. The picture gives an idea.

The restaurant describes it's cuisine as Celti contemporary and the first course lived up to that but the main was even more so. Would you believe Haggis Wellington. Haggis is one of those things that divides people, but I love it. This was delightful.

After the meal and a drink or two more we left fairly early, as we had a big day next day although we were not hurried to leave the table.

If I have one slight complaint, it would be that service was a little slow although not problematically so, although it was a Friday night and we were a large party so no harm done.

All in all, although this tip refers to August 2010, I would recommend the Lounge although I would advise you to check for more recent reviews as always.

Favorite Dish: I have only eaten there once and both dishes as described in the main text were excellent.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• planxty's Profile Photo

Nardini's: An absolute classic.

by planxty Updated May 12, 2011
    Nardini's reataurant, Largs, UK.

I am not at all sure why there is such a noticeable Italian presence in Scotland but it is there. From a man called Danielli currently playing very well on the wing for the Scottish rugby team through a thousand ice cream parlours and fish and chip shops, not to mention some excellent Italian restaurants, Italians have integrated completely into Scotish life. Just yesterday, I was watching the TV news and saw that apart from English and Scots Gallic, the new MSP's (Members of the Scottish Parliament) were swearing their oath of allegiance to the Sovereign in both Urdu and Italian. One member, newly elected, had chosen to take it in the language of the "old country". Nothing wrong with that, but what does it have to do with an ice cream parlour in a North Ayrshire town? I'll tell you.

If you have read my other pages on Largs, you will know that I was there for the nearby wedding of some dear frineds, that I got a bit waylaid and played a few gigs in a local hostelry and basically ended up staying a week when i was meant to be there for three days. Now, the groom had told me previously that I simply had to go to Nardini's (obviously a traditonal Scottish name!) as it was something of a national institution. Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before.

However, when I went there to meet friends one afternoon and the place was absolutely packed. My friends were "girding their loins" for the long drive back South to England and thankfully I wasn't. Not wishing to eat, I only had a coffee (delightful and served quickly with a smile) but my friends were eating a selection of dishes, mostly the fish and chips, and one of the youngsters was getting stuck into an ice cream dish that can only be described as monumental in proportion. I always try to be completely objective in my VT tips, so I cannot comment on the food, but all my friends, eating a variety of dishes, declared it to be very, very good. I trust their judgement.

If you are of the star-spotting variety, apparently the reasonably famous British actress Daniela Nardini is a daughter of the family.

Let's be honest, if you go to the seaside, you are going to want fish and chips and maybe an ice cream, and this place does it a whole lot better than most. If, like me, you just fancy a coffee, well that is very good too.

Recommended.

Favorite Dish: As stated, I only had a coffee, which was lovely, but my friends all spoke fulsomely about the food.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• hevbell's Profile Photo

NARDINI'S: I scream for ice cream

by hevbell Written Sep 24, 2006

Largs is as famous for its reknowned Italian ice cream, by Nardini's, as anything else!! I can't go there without going for a tub! Although their large fish and chip restaurant is now close - I can remember eating there many years ago - they now have a smart looking cafe right on beside the harbour. I haven't eaten there so not really sure what sort of menu they have. I've just gone for the takeaway ice cream! Yum :)

Favorite Dish: I'd have to be boring and say the mint choc chip but that is always my favourite! they have some unusual flavours though such as Irn Bru and Scottish Tablet! The Irn Bru was nice and I think I might have to try the tablet next time!

• sparkieplug24's Profile Photo

The George: Good quality food

by sparkieplug24 Written Mar 19, 2006

The Geroge is bar and restruant and it serves everything from sandwiches and soup to three course dinners. It is reasonably priced and serves food most of the afternoon and evening. They are very accommadating and helpful and have disabled access and children are allowed in. All the staff are very friendly and helpful.

Favorite Dish: They do curly fries so this is a bonus. There lasange is also very good.

• Disabilities

Instant Answers: Largs

Comments

Largs Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Largs restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Largs sightseeing.