A lovely playground in the park for the children. Lots of laughter was heard from that end of the park whilst we were strolling thru it.
The church of All Saints, formerly Collegiate, is a spacious cruciform embattled structure, principally of the Early English period, and consisting of chancel with an ancient vestry on the north, nave, aisles, transepts, north, south and west porches, and a central tower with pinnacles and octagonal spire, containing 8 bells : the windows, nine of which are stained, are nearly all Perpendicular, and some have very good tracery : the chancel retains its stalls, and there is some good screen work, and an eagle lectern of wood, with traces of colour, and a chain for a padlock attached ; the western door is ornamented with wrought ironwork, the work of John de Leighton ; the font, an early example, has a circular bulging basin, on a short round columnar base, surrounded by four shafts, the capitals of which are level with the rim of the basin : there are monuments to William Jackman, gent. 1592; Francis Willis, gent 1646, and his wife Margaret (Saunders), and Catherine, wife of Richard Whitlock, gent. 1649: the church was thoroughly restored in 1842 and 1852, and again in 1885-6, at a cost of over £3,000, and was re-opened July 10th, 1886; in 1893 the spire was re-pointed, the vane repaired and a new lightning conductor erected. The register dates from the year 1562, and includes the earlier registers of Billington, Eggington, Heath and Roach, and some part of Stanbridge.
Near the market house is an ancient and elegant cross of pentagonal form, and in the later style of English architecture; the entire height, from the base to the top of the vane, is thirty-eight feet: the upper story is divided into five niches, each of which contains a statue, the most perfect of which are a bishop, Christ and the virgin, and St. John the Evangelist: this structure, said to have been erected more than five hundred years, was repaired, in 1650, by means of a rate of fourpence levied upon each of the inhabitants.
We took the train from London to get to Leighton Buzzard. It was the express train and only took 25 minutes to get there. A lovely ride through nice country side
The train from central London to Leighton Buzzard takes only 45 mins and also has stops in Watford and the great Hemel Hempstead!!.
I jumped on at Harrow and arrived in no time at all.
53 Reviews and Opinions
The high street is the main shopping area but there are also large supermarkets on the edge of town and also small local boutiques down winding alleys leading off the market square.
Leighton Buzzard is a small town surrounded by countryside.It has lots of parks and leisure facilities.Whipsnade zoo and the Chlitern hills are not far either.