Broadway is the main central thoroughfare through the town and links the town centre with the A505 Hitchin Road. At the centre is the Town Square which is more a rectangle than a square and I remember this being encircled by tall trees (may have been yew trees) but these have gone and have been replaced with smaller trees. This area was actually known as Kennedy Gardens, adopted in the 1960s in honour of the assassinated American president JF Kennedy. They were renamed Broadway Gardens when they were officially reopened, following a £1.2m refurbishment, as part of the town's centenary celebrations in June 2003. The central area in the road leading from the square to the train station was originally planned as a tramway.
You are almost bound to see one (or several) if you wander through Norton Common, about 5 minutes away from the town centre/station (as long as there are not too many dogs about). There are muntjac deer as well.
Black squirrels are a mutation of the common greys, and extremely rare in the UK. Except in this little corner of Bedfordshire/Cambridgeshire/Hertfordhire, where there are lots. They are just as brave/cheeky as the greys, and will turn up in gardens to steal food from bird tables in just the same way!
Norton Common is a pleasant place to walk anyway; 63 acres of nature reserve, woodland and green space.
The museum is housed in the building designed by architects Parker and Unwin, whose masterplan was the basis for the whole 'garden city'. Strangely, they designed themselves a thatched cottage of the 'olde Englishe' type; the rest of the houses are not like this at all!
The museum has an exhibition on the history of Letchworth.
The Mrs Elizabeth Howard Memorial Hall was the first public building in Letchworth. funded by public subscription, in memory of the wife of Ebenezer Howard whose vision Letchworth was, it is now the home of the Letchworth Community Group.
Built in 1907, architects Bennet and Bidwell, a Grade 11 listed building.
The Post Office designed by Bennett and Bidwell in 1912 and extended in 1937. Joined to the Estate Office it is in the earlier Art and Crafts style rather than Georgian.
Designed in 1960 by Sidney Clarke in Georgian style it had the first cocktail bar allowed in the centre of Letchworth.