Middleton Travel Guide

  • The Olde Boars Head
    The Olde Boars Head
    by mickeyboy07
  • Arena logo
    Arena logo
    by mickeyboy07
  • Middleton arena from outside
    Middleton arena from outside
    by mickeyboy07

Middleton Things to Do

  • mickeyboy07's Profile Photo
    The Olde Boars Head

    by mickeyboy07 Updated Apr 24, 2009

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The 'Olde Boars Head'dates back to 1587,the building has a fireplace with this date inscribed on it.It once operated as a coaching inn on the former Chester to York highway and during the English Civil War was used as headquarters for the Roundheads.Its said that in 1745 Bonnie Prince Charlie took refuge here whilst fleeing Redcoats on his way back to Scotland.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • mickeyboy07's Profile Photo
    Middleton arena from outside 1 more image

    by mickeyboy07 Updated Apr 22, 2009

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    In the centre of Middleton is the brand new Middleton Arena complex,opened on the 25th of April 2009.It will be used as a sports and entertainment venue and includes gym,squash courts and swimming pool.The arena cost 15 million to build.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Water Sports
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Middleton Hotels

    0 Hotels in Middleton

Middleton Off The Beaten Path

  • mickeyboy07's Profile Photo
    St.Leonards church 4 more images

    by mickeyboy07 Updated Apr 4, 2011

    2 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The parish church was erected in 1096 by Roger de Montbegon the Norman Overlord.A Saxon church used to stand here before the Norman conquest and lies next to a Bronze age buriel ground.In 1515 Sir Richard Assheton commissioned a large stained glass window at the north wall to commemorate the Battle of Flodden.
    The wooden steeple on top of the tower was added in 1667 and is one of only three that survive in thr United Kingdom.The window is the oldest war memorial in existance.The clock was put up in 1807 by William Platt a Manchester clock maker and is still wound three times a week.
    The church is situated in St.Leonards square which was once Middleton town square,the church is also visible from Jubilee Park which is situated opposite the Olde Boars Head on Rochdale road(A664).

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture
    • Photography

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Middleton

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

72 travelers online now

Comments

Middleton Travel Guide
Map of Middleton

View all Middleton hotels