Moretonhampstead Travel Guide

Pub Frontage
    by johngayton

Moretonhampstead Things to Do

• Lest We Forget

War Memorial The Moretonhampstead memorial is in the form of a column of granite blocks with plaques to the front. The memorial was unveiled by Lord Hambleden in 1921.The upper inscription reads: “To the memory of the men of this parish who fell in the Great war 1914-1919 as a tribute of our honour and affection this stone is set up”.The lower...

• Bowring Library

The building was built and then donated to Moretonhampstead by Thomas Benjamin Bowring in 1901 and constructed in a terracotta material combined with granite. It was designed in the Tudor Renaissance style by Sylvanus Trevail, a Cornishman, who was the architect for several other Libraries. The library was taken over by Devon County Council...

• Visitor Information Centre

The Visitor Information Centre sells a wide range of maps and guidebooks, and has information on accommodation and public transport in the area. It is also a great source of information for walks, tourist attractions and events.June to SeptemberSunday to Saturday: 9:30 am to 5:00 pmJune 2012

• Parish Church of St Andrews

The Parish Church of St Andrew's built in Granite dates back to the 15th century and stands on ground that has been used for religious purposes since Saxon times. The first stone church was built during the 12th Century with this church completed in 1418. The church has been restored many times since.June 2012

• Go For A Beer #4 - The White Horse

I gave this one a miss this time round as it seems to evolved from a friendly spit-and-sawdust pub into a Mediterranean-style restaurant which didn't seem to be open on the afternoon I was there.I do hear good things about it as a restaurant though and maybe next time I'm passing through Moreton I'll give it a whirl (if it's open).

• Go For A Beer #3 - The White Hart

The White Hart is the town's most upscale hotel but does have a little public bar and a pleasant shaded courtyard for those who just want to pop-in for a beer. These seem a bit more geared up for diners and hotel residents rather than locals or us transients and personally I found the bar service a bit offish - AND I was intending to eat!Beer was...

Moretonhampstead Hotels

Moretonhampstead Restaurants

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Skimpy Prawns, Excellent Bread 3 more images

by johngayton Written Jul 15, 2010

The White Hart promotes itself as offering the "warmest of westcountry welcomes...for delicious informal dining". Informal dining was what I was after and that's why I chose to eat in the pleasant covered courtyard here on a sunny early evening.

I duly ordered a beer from the bar and asked for a menu. I can't remember exactly how much the beer was but the slightly offish barman asked for the money. With my menu in hand I naturally suggested that he put it on my bill as I was going to eat.

"Sorry sir, but if you are eating in the courtyard you have to pay as you go." This struck me as a bit bizarre, especially having just gotten back from the Continent where even if you're just having a beer no-one seems to want to take your money until you're finished.

So I paid for my beer and then ordered my meal, which I then had to pay for as another transaction. Hmmm...in fact in the Netherlands, which had been my last port of call (literally as I'd sailed from Hoek van Holland), the most complicated bit of eating out was trying to get someone to take your money!

The beer certainly went down well and by the time my starter arrived I was ready for another one which of course I had to fetch myself and pay for. Whilst I was eating the manageress came to check that everything was OK. I enquired about this business of having to pay as you go.

"Company policy," She replied, "I just do what I'm told." As she goaded the next batch of grockles into the waiting cattle truck."

Favorite Dish: The food was all right. The tasty starter of "Tempura Prawns" was a bit on the skimpy side, four tiny prawns rather inelegantly arranged on a plate far too big for them and garnished with a bit of trendy rockette. The accompanying bread though really was excellent, warm, fresh and yeasty and so moistly chewy and flavoursome that I didn't bother with the butter.

Sausages and Mash main course was comfort food at its best. Good meaty, locally-made, sausages with buttery mash (good job I passed on the bread's buttter!) and a rich oniony gravy.

I was now pleasantly replete but fancied lingering awhile with the evening sun filtering through the canopy and maybe have a nibble of cheese with a glass of port and perhaps too a coffee. But I just couldn't be bothered going through the motions of paying for everything one step at a time. Ach well, such is life and having already paid I didn't see much point in leaving a tip for what was a merely OK meal with merely OK service.

• Beer Tasting

Moretonhampstead Transportation

• Car Parking – Station Road

Station RoadThe Station Road is an open car park and is located within a 2 minute walk to the town centre.Pay and DisplayCapacity: 58 carsSunday to Saturday: 9:00 am to 6:00 pm2 Hours: £0.70Station Road, Mortonhampstead TQ13 8NH June 2012

• Local Bus Services

Year-round Moreton is connected to the rest of the world by bus services to Exeter (#379), Okehampton (#179) and Newton Abbot (#178). In addition to these there are also numerous extra services during the summer including the Trans Moor #82 between Exeter and Plymouth which runs on Sundays, some Saturdays and Thursdays, with stops at places such as...

• Moretonhampstead Hotels

2 Hotels in Moretonhampstead

1149 Reviews and Opinions

Moretonhampstead Favorites

• History of Moretonhampstead

Moretonhampstead lies in a part of Devon that was occupied by the Saxons soon after 682 AD; the area was divided into vast estates including all the land within the boundaries of the rivers Teign and Bovey, 'Mor Tun' was the major settlement at the time.The Parish was mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 AD and shows that the Manor of Moreton and...

• Moreton Tourist information Centre

At first appearance this looks more like a gift/souvenir shop which I suppose it is basically. It does however stock the usual freebie leaflets and maps as well as local bus timetables but for anything more complex such as accommodation services it's best to use the website or phone number below. Staff though are quite happy to dispense local...

• The Sparrowhawk

Moreton has long been one of The Moor's market towns and when granted its charter by King John in the early 13th century he set the annual rent at one sparrowhawk. The sparrowhawk is now the town's unofficial emblem and the sculpture pictured, which overlooks The Square, is by the local artist, Roger Dean.

Instant Answers: Moretonhampstead

Comments

Explore Deeper into Moretonhampstead
Map of Moretonhampstead