Belfast Restaurants

Street view to Moplly's Yard
    by charlesracine
    Very lovely fish and chips
    by leics
    Even lovelier ice-cream dessert! :-)
    by leics

Most Recent Restaurants in Belfast

• vityaz's Profile Photo

Speranza: Best restaurant in the United Kingdom and Ireland!

by vityaz Written May 22, 2012

My wife has been coming here since the 80's when she was a nurse at Belfast City Hospital and back in those days people would literally queue down the street to get a meal there. They have a bigger restaurant now so such queues arent necessary anymore, but the food is still highly desirable! The service is excellent. We go in there pretty regularly and all of the staff are helpful, friendly and polite. The food is fantastic quality and excellent value for money. There is a friendly atmosphere in the restaurant. The portions are generous and I literally have nothing bad to say about the place!

Favorite Dish: Couldnt say, the pizzas are great, the chicken goujons are amazing. I could not specify a favourite

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Conor Café: Café Conor

by MalenaN Updated May 25, 2011

Soup of the day at Caf�� Conor

My first evening in Belfast I ate at Café Conor, which is situated in the former studio of the artist William Conor. It has a high ceiling with a glass roof, and light walls with black and with paintings. The evening I visited the restaurant it was busy and the background murmur was quite loud. The background music coming out of the loudspeakers was totally unnecessary.

The soup, bread and small Peroni beer I had all tasted good. The soup of the day, with one piece of bread, was £4.25 (February 2011) and the beer was £3.35.

Cafe Conor is open between 9 - 23.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Grand Central Coffee House

by MalenaN Updated May 24, 2011

Grand Central, chicken soup

I came back to Grand Central a few times during my visit to Belfast, mostly because of the comfortable sofas and laid-back atmosphere. It was a good place to sit down in after a long day of sight-seeing. In the café you can have breakfast, different coffees, cakes, croissants, scones, sandwiches, soup of the day and other meals.
    On day I came in quite late and ordered the home-made stew. I sat down for almost 10 minutes and were than told they had run out of stew. They were making more, but it would take a while until it was finished. I took chicken soup instead, it was served with bread and was quite filling. Chicken soup was £3.50 and an orange juice (bottle) was £1.80 (March 2011). Coffee and cake was £3.75 and a cup of coffee (decaf as I can’t sleep if I drink coffee to late) was £1.60.

Grand Central is open between 8 - 17.30 on Mondays - Saturdays, and between 9 - 17.30 on Sundays.

• littlebush's Profile Photo

Muriels: Muriels

by littlebush Updated Apr 30, 2011

Just off a side pedestrinaised street off High Street, towards the river, (address 12 church lane) this little place is a gem. The food isnt very traditional but the pie is fantastic and the service friendly. Price was about average. The decor is cool with lots of maequin heads around! on a sunny day, good to sit outside.

Favorite Dish: Pie

• The Mourne Seafood Bar: Delicious and Well-Priced Seafood Restaurant

by migmig Updated Apr 4, 2011

The food was great, the selection of different fish and shellfish was very good and very fresh too. Great value. The only thing was that it was "first come first served" (not sure if this is always the way it is on Sundays) and I think the staff could have been a bit more polite about this. Although generally the service was good and efficient. I didn't think the desert was as good as the mains, but they had a nice selection of unusual beers.

Favorite Dish: I had the miso salmon with wasabe potato salad- delicious and filling.

• kranstonakov's Profile Photo

Mourne Seafood Bar: Fine Northern Irish Cuisine

by kranstonakov Updated Apr 4, 2011

If its traditional food your after this is where to come, all ocally caught fresh fish on offer here, moderatly priced and right in the city centre. There is an abundance of fish in Northern Irish waters and the chefs here ahve the ability to cook them to their full potential. Also worth a mention is Giraffe in Stranmillis, a chepaer alternative that allows you to bring your own wine.

Favorite Dish: Roast Halibut with soinach and pine nut butter

Gingeroot: Fine Indian cuisine

by clivedinburgh Updated Apr 4, 2011

Entrance to Gingeroot

This restaurant has been open about 18 months and have dined here several times. Once was with a large group who all enjoyed their meals (even the ones who'd never ate indian before). The staff are very helpful and the owner is always keen to ensure you have a good time (was giving out some nibbles to our table to entice people towards certain items).

the decor is very modern and there is an online menu on their excellent website.

Favorite Dish: Too many to choose

The Appartment: Dress to impress

by clivedinburgh Updated Apr 4, 2011

Restaurant section

This is a bar/restaurant that does do some good food and has a great view out over City Hall.

Some of the stools are more stylish than practicle but service is excellent and there is an extensive cocktail list.

This is part of the Botanic Inns Ltd who own a number of quality bars around Belfast. Can be very precious on a Sat night when the drinking crowd takes over but has some good ambient sounds.

Favorite Dish: Bangers & champ

• Bilimari's Profile Photo

Benedicts: Beat The Clock

by Bilimari Updated Apr 4, 2011

Duck on mashed potato

This place is a part of the Benedict's Hotel, and there is a pub below the restaurant.

They had a special promotion called "Beat The Clock". It runs 7 days a week from 5:30pm to 7:30pm. The time you order is the price you pay. We ordered right at 5:30pm, which means the price of our meal was just 5.50/each!

Note that not all dishes are part of the promotion. Look for a clock symbol on the menu.

Favorite Dish: I had Duck with mashed potato. (See photo.)
    The portion was very big, but it was so tasty, I finished it!

• Business Travel

Red Panda: Chinese delights

by clivedinburgh Updated Oct 24, 2010

There are two of these restaurants in Belfast and the quality of food is good in both. I have ate here on several occasions and the places are always busy so book ahead. The one not listed below is located in the Odyssey complex.

• diamond_skies's Profile Photo

Truffles Bakery: A Rare Find These Days

by diamond_skies Written Oct 13, 2010

Truffles is really a bakery but does do sandwiches. What I like best is that it is a traditional bakery, one of the last of a dying breed as they have been forced out by the supermarkets. The goods on display might not seem exciting to a local but, for visitors, you will have an idea of what traditional baked goods from Northern Ireland are like. I highly recommend potato farls (like flat potato pancakes), soda or wheaten farls (a sort of flat bread - I love them sliced, toasted and smeared with real butter and honey or homemade jam!) or a spice ring. You can also find cream filled donuts and custard tarts.

• leics's Profile Photo

Kelly's Cellars: Good pub.....a proper one, and possibly the oldest

by leics Written Aug 6, 2010

Exterior

Kelly's Cellars is probably the oldest pub in Belfast. Housed in a building dating from 1720 (originally Kelly's Wine Stores) it's a 'proper' pub...with flagstones, black beams and friendly barstaff. And traditional music most evenings as well.

It was famous as a meeting place of the United Irishmen in the 1790s....and that one of their leaders hid under the bar when being chased by the Redcoats.

Kelly's has had many famous visitors since.....Bill Shankley, Stanley Matthews, Louis MacNeice.

But I just enjoyed my Guinness sitting outside in the sun. :-)

• Singles
    • Beer Tasting

• leics's Profile Photo

Premier Inn Waring Street: Surprisingly good value

by leics Written Aug 6, 2010

Very lovely fish and chips

I would ever normally eat in my (or any) hotel, but I was tired.

So I decided to eat in the bar of where I was staying. And I have to admit that the food was excellent, especially as I took advantage of the 'two courses for 9.95GBP' deal.

The fish and chips was beautifully-cooked, with lovely batter, real chips and very fresh and tasty fish. And the pudding (ice-cream on cheesecake with berry sauce) was absolutely delicious,

The beer was fine as well.

So if you are in the general area and stuck for somewhere to eat at a reasonable price, you could definitely do worse than the Premier Inn.

• Singles
    • Seniors

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Campbells: One of Belfasts oldest Coffee Houses

by suvanki Updated Dec 14, 2009

Campbells Coffee Shop Victoria Square

I called in here for an early morning coffee, while waiting for the nearby Argos to open (so I could buy an urgently needed SD card for my camera-07.30 in the morning and no memory space, with a full days sightseeing in a place I'd not visited before-NIGHTMARE!!!).

Campbells is to be found in Victoria Square, which is adjacent to the Victoria Square Shopping Centre.

This place holds claim to being Belfasts oldest coffee house - it's been running for at least 80 years. A family run business, which offers a friendly welcome, coffee, cakes, snacks and meals at reasonable prices. (Breakfast from £1.99!!)

Next door but one to this family run business is - A Starbucks! Hmmmm! I'm afraid that there were more customers in Megabucks! WHY????
    On principle, I would have chosen Campbells before this corporate grabber, even if it was dire.

BUT- Campbells wasn't dire at all.....Seating inside and out. A counter full of enticing goodies-cakes, sandwiches, salads etc.

You can also enjoy an Ulster Fry here! (for less than a fiver! (£5). I'd planned to try this 'big breakfast' but I'd already eaten on the plane, so was a bit full - Next time I come to Belfast I'll certainly wait to eat it here. You can even read the daily newspapers, while lingering over your coffee. There are also lots of flyers for things to see and do in Belfast.

I chose to sit outside, to indulge in a spot of people watching-and to enjoy a dry Autumn morning, while it wasn't too cold.

On the tables were scallop shells- these were ash trays for smokers to use. No smoking inside public places in Belfast.

I would have taken more pics of Campbells, but as my cameras memory card was playing up I had to miss out - luckily Argos (across the square) had a good selection available.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed my milky coffee, orange juice and chocolate cup cake, which came to £4.65. - Give Megabucks a miss, come here and support a local family business!

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Kellys Cellars: Traditional Authentic Belfast Pub with food

by suvanki Updated Oct 21, 2009

Kellys Cellars

I'd spotted this pub in the 'Belfast In your pocket' free guide that I'd picked up earlier at the airport.
    I was drawn to it from the description 'Down a side street off Royal Avenue lurks this 16th Century black and white bar, one of the city's oldest, and in our opinion, most authentic. Positively no pandering to tourists, designer cocktail lists or faux-trad nonsense. Instead, it's all about the serious business of imbibing as the congregation worships at the high altar of Arthur Guinness and co.'
    Yes, this sounded like my sort of place!
    The guide also promised 'outbursts of Irish music' well my visit was around 1700hrs, so I didn't expect to find this.

Instead, I entered this pub through a wooden door and found a roaring log fire, and a dark wood bar, with a collection of kitchenware hanging from the ceiling, and every nook and cranny filled with household paraphernalia.

I asked the young smiling barman if they were serving food- He offered me a beef stew-yes, exactly what I needed to warm me up! Did I want bread? - Yes please! I expected either soda bread or a rustic crusty bread- instead I got a couple of thick slices of white bread- I was also offered brown sauce, but I declined. I did accept the offer of a pepper pot (again declining the salt pot) I also ordered a half pint of Guinness. I'm not sure if there were other choices of food on their menu - I enjoyed not having a choice - Take what you're offered!

I chose a table at the back of the room - there were a few dark wood tables placed around the bar with wooden benches. A good spot to take in the comings and goings of this popular place.

My Guinness was delivered to my table- a good drink - no shamrock 'drawn' on the creamy head as in the 'tourist' bars. I had to remember that in a few hours time I would be driving home from East Midlands Airport, otherwise I would have ordered another Guinness.

Recommended!

Favorite Dish: I thoroughly enjoyed my stew- chunks of beef, carrots and of course potatoes in a thin gravy, wiped up with 2 slices of white bread.

A good half of Guinness too- creamy head and nutty brown bitter flavour.

This came to £5

• Beer Tasting

Instant Answers: Belfast

Comments

Belfast Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Belfast restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Belfast sightseeing.