Belfast Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Belfast

• Bilimari's Profile Photo

Benedicts: Beat The Clock

by Bilimari Updated Apr 4, 2011

This place is a part of the Benedict's Hotel, and there is a pub below the restaurant.

They had a special promotion called "Beat The Clock". It runs 7 days a week from 5:30pm to 7:30pm. The time you order is the price you pay. We ordered right at 5:30pm, which means the price of our meal was just 5.50/each!

Note that not all dishes are part of the promotion. Look for a clock symbol on the menu.

Favorite Dish: I had Duck with mashed potato. (See photo.)
    The portion was very big, but it was so tasty, I finished it!

Duck on mashed potato
    • Business Travel

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Isibeals cafe: A hearty Ulster Fry in Belfast city centre

by SWFC_Fan Written Oct 11, 2008

My friend and I ate breakfast at Isibeals cafe during our weekend visit to Belfast in July 2008.

After an early morning flight, we dumped our bags at the hotel and set off into Belfast city centre in search of a much needed fry up – and in particular, the famous Northern Irish Ulster Fry!

Wandering down High Street on a bleak and rainy summer’s morning, we spotted the menu board outside Isibeals advertising the object of our desires. A standard Ulster Fry could be had for 2.70 GBP, but after our overnight journey it was the King Size Fry at 3.90 GBP that appealed to us!

We sat at a wooden table inside this warm and friendly café and placed our order with the smiling waitress. After a short wait, our plates of sausage (x2), bacon (several rashers), fried eggs (x2), mushrooms, tomato, potato bread and soda bread arrived at our table. The greasy fry up was much appreciated and we devoured our breakfasts pretty quickly, but eating an Ulster Fry every day wouldn’t be a very healthy idea!

I washed my breakfast down with a glass of fresh orange juice (1 GBP), while my friend had a coffee (same price) with his.

Other breakfast options are available, including scrambled eggs on toast, bacon sandwiches and healthier options, while lunchtime options include fish and chips.

A friendly café serving the hearty “Ulster Fry”. Highly recommended!

Isibeals cafe, Belfast Menu board at Isibeals cafe, Belfast King size Ulster Fry at Isibeals cafe, Belfast

• Catspjm's Profile Photo

Scalini: Italian

by Catspjm Written Oct 17, 2005

Owned by a genuine Sicilian and sister restaurant to the long standing but recently refurbished Villa Italia, Scallini serves the best pizza in Belfast. The menu is wide and will cater for all tastes from Steak and chips to fine pasta dishes.
    The decor is flamboyantly Italian and worth a visit alone.

Favorite Dish: For me the starter would be the Rigatoni Scalini (pasta in a tomato, cream and brandy sauce with bacon. They will do a starter portion of any of the pasta dishes if you ask) and a Picante pizza for main course. Those with elasticated waistlines, should order the Fudge nut sundae. Ask them nicely and they will make it with honeycomb ice cream instead of vanilla (tell them I sent you!). Sooo much nicer

• diamond_skies's Profile Photo

Common Grounds: My Favourite Cafe in Belfast!

by diamond_skies Updated Feb 11, 2008

Common Grounds Cafe is my favourite cafe because it ticks all the boxes for what I like in a cafe. It is located in an old Victorian building with brick walls and wooden floors. The food is delicious and freshly prepared every time, the coffee and chocolate are all Fair Trade and, best of all, it is non-profit! All profits go to a nominated charity that changes regularly (it is posted on a wall just inside the door).

Common Grounds gets very busy at lunch time so if you are thinking of having lunch there, aim to go early (11.30am ish) or later (2pm ish). There are tables outside so on dry days you can sit and watch the world (or at least the students) go by. Occasionally there is live music there in the evenings.

Favorite Dish: I have never had anything bad here. The soups are delicious and home made. The sandwiches are made with large slabs of fresh bread (white, granary or tomato) and lots of delicious and sometimes unusual fillings. My favourite combination is brie, bacon and cranberry on the granary bread.

Hot food is available until 8pm and is mainly vegetarian. I highly recommend the spinach and feta pie. The coffees are all well made and nice and hot - I am surprised at how many places in Belfast serve luke warm coffee - and you can request soy milk as a dairy alternative.

Desserts, well, let me just say you should be sure and leave room for them. Chocolate cake, carrot cake and - my favourite - cinnamon scones. These are more like a cinnamon roll made with scone dough - really yummy! Be sure to get it hot with butter melting on top.

• Clairedoll's Profile Photo

Scalini's: Italian bliss

by Clairedoll Written Jul 15, 2004

Gorgeous, gorgeous food for a fantastic price- very popular so I would recommend booking first! It's tha kind of place for a night out with your mates or for a romantic night as well! suits all!

Favorite Dish: Too much to choose from!

• clivedinburgh's Profile Photo

Nick's Warehouse: Hidden away near the Cathedral

by clivedinburgh Updated Nov 7, 2005

The restaurant is a converted warehouse in the cathedral quarter. There is a small bar area at the entrance and the main dining room is seperated from the kitchen by a glass wall so you can see your meals taking shape.

I dined here on several occasions and cannot recommend it highly enough.

Favorite Dish: All ingredients are sourced locally where possible and the menu changes regularly.

Great dining everytime so difficult to pickout a favourite.

Best place in Belfast Bar area Dining area

• originalribenababy's Profile Photo

Bourbon: For a theatrical meal

by originalribenababy Written Jan 27, 2008

We went here for our christmas meal, and it is another restaurant in Belfast we have always wanted to try.

Its theatrically decorated inside, the toilets reminded me of a theatrical old dressing room. The menu is reasonably priced, and they offer a pre-theatre menu that is a good deal. They also have a good drinks selection (could order midori for the first time in ages lol).

The food was great, really filling, and a little bit fancy but not pretentious, makes you feel a bit more fancy eating there though.

They have their full menu and some great pictures on their website.

Favorite Dish: I loved the dessert, baileys cheese cake with a caramel sauce. The main pasta course was good as well, and I heard they did the steak well also.

• Luxury Travel
    • Theater Travel

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Grand Central Coffee House

by MalenaN Updated May 24, 2011

I came back to Grand Central a few times during my visit to Belfast, mostly because of the comfortable sofas and laid-back atmosphere. It was a good place to sit down in after a long day of sight-seeing. In the café you can have breakfast, different coffees, cakes, croissants, scones, sandwiches, soup of the day and other meals.
    On day I came in quite late and ordered the home-made stew. I sat down for almost 10 minutes and were than told they had run out of stew. They were making more, but it would take a while until it was finished. I took chicken soup instead, it was served with bread and was quite filling. Chicken soup was £3.50 and an orange juice (bottle) was £1.80 (March 2011). Coffee and cake was £3.75 and a cup of coffee (decaf as I can’t sleep if I drink coffee to late) was £1.60.

Grand Central is open between 8 - 17.30 on Mondays - Saturdays, and between 9 - 17.30 on Sundays.

Grand Central, chicken soup Grand Central, coffee Grand Central, coffee and cake

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Conor Café: Café Conor

by MalenaN Updated May 25, 2011

My first evening in Belfast I ate at Café Conor, which is situated in the former studio of the artist William Conor. It has a high ceiling with a glass roof, and light walls with black and with paintings. The evening I visited the restaurant it was busy and the background murmur was quite loud. The background music coming out of the loudspeakers was totally unnecessary.

The soup, bread and small Peroni beer I had all tasted good. The soup of the day, with one piece of bread, was £4.25 (February 2011) and the beer was £3.35.

Cafe Conor is open between 9 - 23.

Soup of the day at Caf�� Conor

• Catspjm's Profile Photo

The Khyber: Indian

by Catspjm Updated Oct 17, 2005

Dont be mislead by the fact this place sits on top of a petrol station.

Typical dodgy Indian restaurant decor and music (no offence indented to anyone who may take offence at such things), but superb food cooked by a bloke who lives in our Mews.
    I defy you to find better this side of India.

Favorite Dish: Call me a large tart, but their Chicken Tikka Korma is to die for.
    Try their Tandori mix for starters, washed down with a Tiger beer.

• clivedinburgh's Profile Photo

The Dirty Duck: Holywood without the tinse(l)

by clivedinburgh Updated Nov 7, 2005

This is probably best termed a gastropub but I'm sure the owner Nelson would hate the term.

Set on the shore in Holywood it is well worth the journey with many a fine dish. Bookings are recommended on weekends for the upstairs but food is served downstairs wherever you can find a space.

Also recommended by CAMRA for it's beer.

Favorite Dish: Sweet Chilli Chicken Salad is always excellent as is the terriaki chicken.

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Kellys Cellars: Traditional Authentic Belfast Pub with food

by suvanki Updated Oct 21, 2009

I'd spotted this pub in the 'Belfast In your pocket' free guide that I'd picked up earlier at the airport.
    I was drawn to it from the description 'Down a side street off Royal Avenue lurks this 16th Century black and white bar, one of the city's oldest, and in our opinion, most authentic. Positively no pandering to tourists, designer cocktail lists or faux-trad nonsense. Instead, it's all about the serious business of imbibing as the congregation worships at the high altar of Arthur Guinness and co.'
    Yes, this sounded like my sort of place!
    The guide also promised 'outbursts of Irish music' well my visit was around 1700hrs, so I didn't expect to find this.

Instead, I entered this pub through a wooden door and found a roaring log fire, and a dark wood bar, with a collection of kitchenware hanging from the ceiling, and every nook and cranny filled with household paraphernalia.

I asked the young smiling barman if they were serving food- He offered me a beef stew-yes, exactly what I needed to warm me up! Did I want bread? - Yes please! I expected either soda bread or a rustic crusty bread- instead I got a couple of thick slices of white bread- I was also offered brown sauce, but I declined. I did accept the offer of a pepper pot (again declining the salt pot) I also ordered a half pint of Guinness. I'm not sure if there were other choices of food on their menu - I enjoyed not having a choice - Take what you're offered!

I chose a table at the back of the room - there were a few dark wood tables placed around the bar with wooden benches. A good spot to take in the comings and goings of this popular place.

My Guinness was delivered to my table- a good drink - no shamrock 'drawn' on the creamy head as in the 'tourist' bars. I had to remember that in a few hours time I would be driving home from East Midlands Airport, otherwise I would have ordered another Guinness.

Recommended!

Favorite Dish: I thoroughly enjoyed my stew- chunks of beef, carrots and of course potatoes in a thin gravy, wiped up with 2 slices of white bread.

A good half of Guinness too- creamy head and nutty brown bitter flavour.

This came to £5

Kellys Cellars
    • Beer Tasting

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Campbells: One of Belfasts oldest Coffee Houses

by suvanki Updated Dec 14, 2009

I called in here for an early morning coffee, while waiting for the nearby Argos to open (so I could buy an urgently needed SD card for my camera-07.30 in the morning and no memory space, with a full days sightseeing in a place I'd not visited before-NIGHTMARE!!!).

Campbells is to be found in Victoria Square, which is adjacent to the Victoria Square Shopping Centre.

This place holds claim to being Belfasts oldest coffee house - it's been running for at least 80 years. A family run business, which offers a friendly welcome, coffee, cakes, snacks and meals at reasonable prices. (Breakfast from £1.99!!)

Next door but one to this family run business is - A Starbucks! Hmmmm! I'm afraid that there were more customers in Megabucks! WHY????
    On principle, I would have chosen Campbells before this corporate grabber, even if it was dire.

BUT- Campbells wasn't dire at all.....Seating inside and out. A counter full of enticing goodies-cakes, sandwiches, salads etc.

You can also enjoy an Ulster Fry here! (for less than a fiver! (£5). I'd planned to try this 'big breakfast' but I'd already eaten on the plane, so was a bit full - Next time I come to Belfast I'll certainly wait to eat it here. You can even read the daily newspapers, while lingering over your coffee. There are also lots of flyers for things to see and do in Belfast.

I chose to sit outside, to indulge in a spot of people watching-and to enjoy a dry Autumn morning, while it wasn't too cold.

On the tables were scallop shells- these were ash trays for smokers to use. No smoking inside public places in Belfast.

I would have taken more pics of Campbells, but as my cameras memory card was playing up I had to miss out - luckily Argos (across the square) had a good selection available.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed my milky coffee, orange juice and chocolate cup cake, which came to £4.65. - Give Megabucks a miss, come here and support a local family business!

Campbells Coffee Shop Victoria Square My Coffee, Juice and cake- Yummy

• RavensWing's Profile Photo

The Chip Co: ~ Fresh Hot Chips ~

by RavensWing Written Sep 29, 2014

The Chip Co is a gourmet fish and chip Bar. There are no seats but on either side of the store are two long stand up bar areas to eat your order, if you don't want to eat there, you're welcome to take it home with you. That is what I did when I went there for my supper. The first time I went I ordered fish and chips and took it back to my hotel room. When I took the paper wrapped packages out of the paper bag I thought 'OMG these are huge portions!' I was right, there were tons of chips in the first package, when I opened the second I wasn't sure how big the fish was going to be -- turns out they messed up my order and I managed to get 2 orders of chips. So I have no idea what the fish is like.

Braving a second time at the Chip bar, hoping that I would get what I had actually ordered. This time I ordered the Pastie meal. I didn't even know what a pastie was but it was worth a try. Second time the chips were equally as delicious as the first. The pastie - a small round pie that was filled with onion, potato and seasoning, then covered in batter and deep fried - was equally as delicious.

Chip Company - Gourmet Fish & Chips Chip Company - Gourmet Fish & Chips Standing Room Only Small Part of the Menu

• leics's Profile Photo

Kelly's Cellars: Good pub.....a proper one, and possibly the oldest

by leics Written Aug 6, 2010

Kelly's Cellars is probably the oldest pub in Belfast. Housed in a building dating from 1720 (originally Kelly's Wine Stores) it's a 'proper' pub...with flagstones, black beams and friendly barstaff. And traditional music most evenings as well.

It was famous as a meeting place of the United Irishmen in the 1790s....and that one of their leaders hid under the bar when being chased by the Redcoats.

Kelly's has had many famous visitors since.....Bill Shankley, Stanley Matthews, Louis MacNeice.

But I just enjoyed my Guinness sitting outside in the sun. :-)

Exterior Interior
    • Singles
    • Beer Tasting

Instant Answers: Belfast

Comments

Belfast Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Belfast restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Belfast sightseeing.