Belfast Transportation

Most Recent Transportation in Belfast

• RavensWing's Profile Photo

~ NI Railways ~

by RavensWing Written Oct 7, 2014

Whether you are just heading to another area in Belfast, or you are heading out to CarrickFergus for the day, this train is a economical and comfortable way to travel.

To our surprise we found that there were discount tickets available if we were travelling after 9:30 am. It applies to return tickets only, but it's a pretty good chance that I will be returning from where I left - I will take a 33% discount, no problem there.

Yet another pleasant surprise - We were heading out to Whitehead from Belfast on Sunday only to find out that the Sunday Day Tracker ticket allows you to travel for one price - adult £7 all day and you can stop anywhere along the line you're on. I just love finding out I can save some money when I'm travelling, the original ticket would have been £8.80

The trains are wheelchair accessible - If possible, please inform the Translink Contact Centre at least 24 hours before travel on 028 90 666630 (open Mon-Fri 7am-8pm, Sat & Sun 8am-6pm). This will allow us to prepare any seating changes in advance.

NI Railways - Whitehead
    • Trains

• RavensWing's Profile Photo

~ Enterprise Rent-a-Car ~

by RavensWing Written Oct 6, 2014

I had been advised that the transport in Northern Ireland was less than desirable if you were to leave the Belfast area so I decided to rent a car. I had reserved it before I had left Canada to ensure I would have a car available.

I called the agency the morning (0900) I was renting the vehicle to request a pick up from the hotel, letting them know that there were 3 of us and our luggage, and would that be a problem. No problem at all, and what time would you like us to arrive? I asked for 1030, she said there would be a 15 minute window subject to traffic. The driver showed up at exactly 10:30, I was still checking out of the hotel and he had to wait for me. He drove us to the agency where a very friendly lady brought up my reservation - She asked me to come out to the yard as she had 3 cars I could choose from. (There were more cars in the yard) She showed me the one I had reserved - a manual mid size Ford - then a manual Ford Kuga - the next size up available for a few pounds extra or an automatic mid size Ford - this one was an extra 20£ per day. In the end I choose the Kuga. What a great vehicle! She finished up the paperwork, she helped load our luggage and the final thing --- She asked if we would be needing a drop off when we returned. Which we did.

When we returned the vehicle we received the same professional efficiency that we had received the 3 days prior when we rented the vehicle. Once the final check was done, she handed the keys to driver who then drove us back to our hotel.

The pick up and drop off is a complimentary service with this company. You may want to give them a little more notice than I did to ensure you can use this service.

Their address is 157 Cromac Street - although the actual vehicle yard is off Joy Street (that was a little tricky)

Their business hours are open 7 days a week from 0700 - 2100 (7am - 9pm) Very convenient hours.

The friendliness, efficiency, and professionalism that all the employees showed me were most impressive, so much so that when I return to Belfast I will rent from them again.

Enterprise Rent-a-Car
    • Business Travel

• hevbell's Profile Photo

Stenaline Superferry

by hevbell Written Aug 5, 2012

We found the ferries very comfortable. The journey took 2.5 hours so plenty of time to make use of the facilities on board which include a cafeteria restaurant, smaller cafe/coffee shop, shop, spa, cinema and "pod lounge" with Wifi & games consoles.

I'd advise taking your own food if you just want a sandwich/snack. We were banking on the smaller cafe for lunch and found that all they had left (at 12pm, so barely lunchtime) were a few prepacked sandwiches, none of the advertised toasties etc as they had been sold out on the previous crossing. The "restaurant" was much better. Nothing fancy, your food will come in takeaway containers, but good choice and no complaints about the actual quality. There was a fair choice including burgers, pizzas, pasta, fish & chips etc

• hevbell's Profile Photo

Scotland to Belfast

by hevbell Written Aug 5, 2012

We were coming from the south west of Scotland to Belfast. We chose to travel with on a Stenaline "Superferry" from Cairnryan [just north of Stranraer] to Belfast. There are various ferry times so check their website to find one that suits your travel plans.

We chose to do an inclusive day trip with Stena. This included return ferry crossing as foot passengers, entry to the Titanic Museum & bus transfers to the museum.

Approaching Belfast Belfast terminal

• catherineneill's Profile Photo

From Dublin to Belfast in 2.5 hours

by catherineneill Updated Apr 28, 2011

Fairly easy way to get to Belfast from Dublin International Airport (or indeed Dublin City Centre) is the Ulster Bus (Goldliner)/Bus Eireann direct to Belfast.

Leaves on the hour night and day from the bus center Busaras in Dublin, or 20 minutes past the hour from Dublin Airport bus park.

Get on, fall asleep,get off.

The route takes you straight up the motorway and passes through Newry (border town on the Northern Ireland side) and drops you off right at the Europa hotel.

Tip - Although there is no tangible border anymore there are still random spot checks for passports on the buses conducted by the police on either side of the 'border'. Make sure you have your passport and if you needed a visa for Ireland just double check its ok for the UK, and visa versa.

Price - somewhere in the region of £16 return

• catherineneill's Profile Photo

See the sights on foot or transport

by catherineneill Written Apr 26, 2011

Good thing about Belfast City Center is that it is totally walkable, the Cathedral quarter is only a 10 minute walk from the city center.

the wall murals on the falls and the shankhill are too far to walk to from the center, and Stormont is much too far!

You best bet by far is the hop on hop off bus (you will find the ticket agents in various coloured jackets outside the main gates of the city hall) Check that the tour includes the murals on the falls, shankhill and stormont. That way you can see everything and will also get to see the loyalist murals on the Newtownards road on the way to stormont, as well as the famous Harland and Wolff shipyard (where they built the titanic)

The buses and trains are indeed an option for Stormont if you don't want to do the tour. From Donegal Square (city hall) take the 4A or the 20A and you can get dropped off right at Stormont where you can walk around the grounds and then pop over to the 4* Stormont Hotel for a cup of tea!

• Castles and Palaces

• clivedinburgh's Profile Photo

Ferries from Scotland

by clivedinburgh Updated Apr 4, 2011

There are several ferry services to Northern Ireland from the mainland but I mostly used the Stena HSS (Stranraer to Belfast) which is a large catermaran powered by four gas turbines and capable of 30 knots. Lots of facilities onboard with my favourite being the quiet lounge behind customer services at the rear.

Getting onboard with a car is not too difficult and have had more difficulty in some multistorey carparks. There are good deals to be had on 5 day returns etc but look up on the wesites below.

Alternative services are....

Stena conventional ferry (Stranraer to Belfast)

P&O conventional ferry (Cairnryan (just outside Stranraer) to Larne)
    P&O Express (Troon or Cairnryan to Larne(depends on season)

Norse Merchant (Birkenhead to Belfast)

• clivedinburgh's Profile Photo

Which airport to use?

by clivedinburgh Updated Apr 4, 2011

It's important to know that there are two "Belfast" airports, especially if you are just visiting for a weekend. As with all cheap flights they look great on the net but when transfers are added it can be cheaper and easier to pay to get to the initially more expensive option. To this end I would recommend...

Belfast City which is 10 mins from city centre with a recently built terminal that includes all of the normal facilities.

over

Belfast International which is 40 mins from city centre via a nice drive through the Antrim countryside. This handle a lot more of the charter airlines and is where easyjet operates from.

From Belfast to Ballintoy

by MalenaN Updated Mar 20, 2011

Already before coming to Belfast I had checked the timetable for which bus to take to Ballintoy. The best option for me was to take the 8.40 bus from Europa Bus Centre to Coleraine. It is a bus ride of 1h and 45 minutes and the ticket was £9.20 (March 2011). In Coleraine I changed for Ulster Bus service 172 which left 15 minutes after my arrival from Belfast. From Coleraine to Ballintoy it took 40 minutes and the ticket was £3.90. Before 11.30 I was at the hostel in Ballintoy and had the whole afternoon (and the next day) in front of me to explore the area.

If I had left Belfast with the previous bus (at 7.55) there had been changes of transport both in Ballymena and Ballycastle and the total travel time had been a little bit longer.

Street near the Cathedral

To Belfast from Derry by bus

by MalenaN Written Mar 13, 2011

Buses are leaving the bus station at Foyle Street in Derry every half an hour for Belfast. It is Goldliner Service 212 that operates between the two cities and a single ticket was £10.50 (March 2011). I was sure I would miss the 10 o’clock bus as I left the hostel late. But when I walked in to the station one minute passed ten the Belfast bus was just in front of me and the chauffeur was just about to close the doors. I bought the ticket from the driver and went upstairs (the bus was a double-decker) to get a good view of the landscape along the way. 1h 45 minutes later the bus arrived at Europa bus station in Belfast and 10 minutes later I was already at the hostel where I was going to stay.

Donegall Square, Belfast

From Dublin airport to Belfast by bus

by MalenaN Updated Mar 9, 2011

For me it was much cheaper to fly in to Dublin than to Belfast and as there is a bus from Dublin airport to Belfast that was a good option for me. Goldline service 200 runs every hour (almost) between Dublin and Belfast. The buses leave 20 minutes past every hour from Dublin Airport and leave Belfast on the hour.

My flight was supposed to land at 11.20 so I hoped to catch the 12.20 bus. To my luck the plane landed almost 25 minutes too early so I could take the 11.20 bus. The bus stop is Stop 8 Atrium Road and it is only a few minutes away from the arrival hall. Just follow the signs from the arrival hall and turn right as you leave, cross the road, walk through a building and you will have the bus stop on your left. Tickets can be bought from a machine at the bus stop, but can also be bought on board the bus. I bought a return ticket for 20 Euro (February 2011) and they are valid for one month. The bus made a few stops along the way and arrived at Europa BusCentre in Belfast 2 hours and 5 minutes after we had left Dublin airport. From the bus station it was only a 10 minutes walk to the hostel where I was going to stay.

Going back to Dublin airport I took the bus leaving 8.00 from Belfast. At this hour on a Sunday the entrance from Great Victoria Street (through the Great Northern Mall by the Monument to the unknown women worker) was closed so I had to walk around Europa Hotel to come to the bus centre. On the road the bus suddenly stopped and a man came aboard asking for passport or id-card. I saw we were standing in front of a sign saying Welcome to County Louth and I realised this was the boarder to The Republic of Ireland. This had not happened going to Belfast.

Monument to the unknown women worker

• leics's Profile Photo

Car hire at City airport

by leics Written Aug 6, 2010

You generally return hire cars with a full tank of petrol/diesel, otherwise they will charge you. If you hire from Avis, you can buy a full tank when you pick up the car.....but it is quite hard to use a whole tankful unless you are staying for a week or so (I only used half a tank of diesel, and I drove well over 100 miles). So it's cheaper to just fill up the car before you return it.

The problem is that there are no petrol/diesel stations on the way from Belfast to City airport.

But do not despair. Drive past the airport towards Bangor, staying on the A2. Within a couple of miles you will find a petrol station on the right-hand side. Fill up, turn right at the adjacent lights and drive back along the A2 to the airport. You won't use enough petrol to stop the tank looking full.

Or, if traffic is too heavy to turn right across the lights by the petrol station, drive a little further on, turn off left and then turn right again onto the A2 dual carriageway in the direction of Belfast.

Belfast City Airport
    • Business Travel

• leics's Profile Photo

City airport

by leics Written Aug 6, 2010

Don't be misled......this airport really is incredibly close to Belfast city centre.

It barely takes 10 minutes for the bus to get there.

I took the ordinary bus (600) to and from the airport. It runs roughly every 20-30 minutes, depending on time of day, and only cost 3GBP for a return fare. For me, it was ideal....it stops by Queens Bridge (a 5-minute walk from my hotel) and picks up from the Prince Albert Memorial (only a couple of minutes away). But the bus also goes further into the city centre, terminating at City Hall.

A taxi should cost you less than 10GBP, but if you haven't got a lot of luggage and your hotel is fairly central then the bus is perfectly feasible (and much cheaper).

Info and details about transport to and from the airport on the airport website below.

Airport Express bus 600
    • Seniors
    • Singles

• suvanki's Profile Photo

East Midlands Airport to George Best Belfast City

by suvanki Updated Nov 6, 2009

I booked my Ryanair flight from EMA to George Best Belfast City Airport for the total price of 2 pence return!
    A 'Free' offer- (I checked in online, hand luggage only and paid with my Visa Electron card, so nothing extra to pay). www.ryanair.com.

Departing East Midlands at 06.20, the flight took just 45 minutes! Returning at 20.20, this gave me plenty of time to explore the compact city of Belfast.

Belfast City Airport began operating commercial flights in 1983. On May 22 2006, it was renamed in memory of George Best, Belfast's (and one of the worlds) most famous soccer legends. (This would have been his 60th Birthday). Not everyone was happy about the decision to rename it after Georgie though - A soccer genius, but with a destructive lifestyle- over the years he became as well known for his alcoholism, and alienated many, when he continued to drink following a liver transplant.

George Best Belfast City Airport is located just 2 miles from the City Centre, and is adjacent to The Port of Belfast.

Belfast International Airport is located 18 miles north-west of Belfast CLICK HERE FOR INFO

to be continued...

George Best Belfast City Airport -arriving George Best Belfast City Airport George Best Belfast City Airport

• suvanki's Profile Photo

George Best City Airport to Belfast Centre

by suvanki Updated Nov 2, 2009

Bus service Airport Express 600 runs every 20 minutes from Belfast City (George Best) Airport to Belfast Europa bus station, which is a short walk from the city centre. (adjacent to the Europa Hotel and Shopping Mall)
    The journey is about 10 minutes and costs £2 single £3 Return journey. It operates operates between 0530 and 2205
    - You pay the driver on entry.
    The buses have wheelchair access.

On your return, you catch the bus at stand No 1 in the Europa bus station.

The bus station was designed by Robinson & McIlwaine Architects, and received a Regional Award 1992

- This is a bit of blurb about the designing of the bus station -

"The brief was simple: to provide a new experience in bus travel in terms of design, amenities and finish. Within an existing 15.5x90m double-height space, in the ground floor of a multi-storey carpark, a public concourse, travel centre, ticket kiosk, flexibus office, shop, cafe, electronic timetable screens etc. are provided in an air-conditioned environment.

A mezzanine floor provides general office space. The accomodation is laid out to one side of a public concourse stretching the full length of the building. The interior is light and airy, with controlled, soft colours and curvilinear forms to soften the building’s hard rectangular quality, creating the illusion of movement. Internal walls are finished in off-white partitioning, pink granite and mirror cladding; floors in ceramic tiles; ceilings in solid and egg crate forms; signage in silk-screen printed aluminium with extensive interior planting.The Centre includes a large sculpture entitled ‘The Waterfall of Souvenirs’ by John Kindness. Externally a new parcels building, paved forecourt and covered platform are provided.

I was very impressed with this sculpture - worth a look at!

Europa Bus Station
    Great Victoria Street
    BELFAST
    BT2 7BG
    When exiting the bus station through the shopping mall- check out the mosaic sculpture-‘Waterfall of Souvenirs’ by John Kindness - lots of mosaic tiles depicting all aspects of Ireland.-I'll be adding this pics of this in my Off The Beaten Tracks tips. Check out info here too

Bus Service 600 Airport-Belfast Centre-Airport Bus Service 600 Airport-Belfast Centre-Airport
    • Disabilities

Instant Answers: Belfast

Comments

Belfast Transportation

Reviews and photos of Belfast transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Belfast sightseeing.