Know about this? Rate It!
If you enjoy walking, and love the river, then follow the circular Riverside Walkway upstream to Ormeau Bridge.
Start at Lagan Weir, head south past Queen's Bridge and along the left bank past Waterfront Hall, the Hilton and the BT building to the Edge pub at May's Meadow. Then, cross East Bridge Street to St George's Harbour and continue past the Gasworks regeneration and Haulier's Walk to Ormeau Bridge...
- Hiking and Walking
Harland & Wolff cranes
One thing u cannot miss when u come to Belfast is the two gigantic yellow cranes lovingly named Sampson and Goliath,Sampson is in fact the bigger of the two despite its name! they completely dominate the skyline and can be seen as far as from Carrickfergus on a resonably clear day,the area immediately around the cranes is off limits to non employees or likewise,the closest u can get is from the Odyssey Centre or Victoria Park or the Stena terminal.
The shipyard has long been in deep decline and a lot of demolition work has taken place,there have been plans to remove the cranes by H&W but many people think they should actually stay as part of the city's heritage,something which Harland are not too keen on.
- Arts and Culture
A walk along the Lagan.
Take a walk along the River Lagan. This is the dividing line between counties Down and Antrim and in Belfast, there is a lovely new walkway which goes from the Weir to Lisburn. You can walk or bike along the path. Around the Weir are several sculptures including this fish by John Kindness. If you look closely by it's tail, you can see a man, which will give you an idea of the size of the fish. In the background are the Harland and Wolff cranes (known as Sampson and Goliath). The Harland and Wolff shipyards are where the Titanic and her sisters were built. Sadly, the shipyard has now closed but I believe you can still visit the areas associated with the Titanic.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates
Belfast Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Salvador da Bahia
- Lauerzersee Hotels
- Sky Meadows State Park Hotels
- Malapascua Island Hotels
- Salt Point State Park Hotels
- Ile de Jerba
- Ireland Off The Beaten Path
- Missouri Off The Beaten Path
- Portugal Off The Beaten Path
- Dallas Off The Beaten Path
- Kansas City Off The Beaten Path
- New Orleans Off The Beaten Path
- Virginia Beach Off The Beaten Path
- Bend Off The Beaten Path
- Pennsylvania Off The Beaten Path
- Trondheim Off The Beaten Path
- Prague Off The Beaten Path
- Israel Off The Beaten Path