Scalini, Belfast

3 out of 5 stars 1 Reviews

On Botanic Avenue, not far from the University.

• oneonta_ni's Profile Photo

Scalini: Nice Italian food.

by oneonta_ni Updated Mar 22, 2005

Recommended. Although I am disappointed they destroyed a beautiful Victorian end terrace house (the last privately occupied house on the street) in order to build the restaurant, the new building is in keeping with the style of the other buildings along Botanic. Outside, it looks similar to the Victorian it replaced; inside, it has an open feel with different levels of seating. The decor is terracotta tile and warm colours and one area has a barrel vaulted ceiling reminiscent of the restaurants we visited in the old town of Alghero, Sardinia.
    The service was lightning fast and although the waitress handed me my menu before I even had got my coat off and had sat down, the rest of the service was good. Total price for two 2-course meals, one dessert, a Guinness and a Ballygowan was around GBP30.

Note: It has been a couple of years since we were at this restaurant and I have heard that their standards have slipped a bit. Some people say it is good, others say it is not as good as it used to be.

Favorite Dish: I ordered an unusual starter consisting of a ball of arborio rice, filled with minced meat and peas and then deep fried. The surrounding sauce was made of fresh tomatoes. My main course was the cannelloni ripieni which was filled with feta, tomato and zucchini. I thought the feta was overpowering and would have preferred it as a starter but it was ok. For dessert, I had tiramisĂș, which was heavenly.

GF had a starter of mushrooms and scallops in a pastry which were quite tasty. Next he had small pieces of steak which had been stuffed with a pinenut, breadcrumb and white raisin stuffing - very delicious. He was too full for dessert (a first, I think).

Instant Answers: Belfast

Comments

Hotels Near Scalini
4.0 out of 5 stars